Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,043 members, 7,799,525 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University (1933 Views)

Nigerian Soldier Arrested After Shooting Indiscriminately In Damaturu / Heavy Shooting At Buguma In Rivers State / Nigerian Shot After High-Speed Chase In South-Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Nobody: 12:16am On Feb 17, 2008
Thu Feb 14, 6:42 PM ET

CHICAGO (AFP) - A gunman opened fire Thursday at suburban Chicago university, wounding 17 people, including three critically, before killing himself in the latest in a spate of US school shootings, officials said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Witnesses said the shooter, described as a white male around six-foot (1.8 meters) tall and armed with a shotgun, burst into an auditorium at Northern Illinois University with more than 100 students inside and began firing.

"He was aiming towards the crowd but I don't think he was aiming at a specific person," a witness named Sheila told WBBM radio.

"He was quiet. He just stood on the stage in front of everybody and just started shooting.

"I saw him holding the gun and it was huge. I thought it was fake and then I realized he was really shooting at people and I got down," she said. "I saw a lot of blood. I have blood all over my clothes."

Officials of the 112-year-old university 65 miles (105 kilometers) west of Chicago quoted police as saying the gunman killed himself after the rampage.

Joe Dant, a spokesman for nearby Kishwaukee Community Hospital, said 17 wounded victims had been brought in, three critically injured, eight stable and six in good condition.

Students described now-familiar scenes of panic in the sixth school shooting in the United States in the last week.

"I saw a lot of confusion," Dominique Broxton, 22, told the Chicago Tribune, describing the scene from her dorm room. "Students were running. People really didn't know what was going on."

The shooting came 10 months after 32 students and faculty were shot down by a mentally disturbed student at Virginia Tech University in the deadliest massacre ever at a US school.

Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a teaching and research institution with a student enrollment of more than 25,000 and nearly 1,300 teachers. It has 862 international students from 88 nations.

The university gave out few details of the incident. "It has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance," its website said.

Broxton said she could see two wounded students from her dorm room.

"The ambulance took away two students on the ground right outside my dorm," she said. "I don't know them. They looked bloody. Where I am right now, there are a lot of police, at least a dozen. There are police cars and trucks everywhere."

"There is an intercom system inside the dorm. Someone came on and stated that someone had been caught. They said they caught the shooter and that we should remain calm and stay in our rooms."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080214/ts_alt_afp/uscrimeschoolshooting_080214233946
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 17, 2008
I hate hearing this kind of news. sad What would make anyone do this?
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by 4Him(m): 12:34am On Feb 17, 2008
those people have too much food to eat.

If they had to hawk oranges to pay their way thru school shooting their classmates would be the last thing on their minds.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by doyin13(m): 1:15am On Feb 17, 2008
i nor know wetin dey carry una go university for yankee.

when i go school if i had to keep watching my back. . .i would have preempted the move
by going on my own spree. . . .my defence----- 'friendly fire' or 'collateral damage'
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by jgirl3: 9:29am On Feb 17, 2008
That was the 3rd school last week in which shooting occurred. The stupid reason they gave for this one too was that he had a mental background. This is really pathetic because US should be able to handle their psycho patients.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by debosky(m): 9:33am On Feb 17, 2008
Its truly getting out of hand undecided

Innocent students go to class and get shot. . .they might as well be dealing drugs on the street. sad

Without Gun control, these types of incidents will continue to happen - it is too damn easy for any crazed loony to get his hands on a weapon and start killing people. But with the powerful gun lobby, I doubt if that will happen soon. angry

this dude apparently wasn't psycho, but he stopped taking his pills. . .is anywhere safe from all this madness? undecided
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by jgirl3: 9:43am On Feb 17, 2008
Apparently everyone else in the world but those in US are safe from being shot in classes.

The guy had 3 guns as well as a LEGAL permit - so i agree the gun control is very lax. However, they don't want to regulate the gun control and their people will keep getting killed by guys who have some kind of depression or condition.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by 4Play(m): 9:51am On Feb 17, 2008
@debo

Abeg,report to sports thread and receive your medication before you turn into the Chos and Kazmierczaks of this world grin

Right to bear firearms is enshrined in the constitution. . . . .its not something that can be solved by mere legislation.

There is an entrenched gun lobby in America that won't tolerate any gun control.

Doesn't Canada have similarly lax gun controls but lower levels of gun crime per capita?
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by debosky(m): 10:07am On Feb 17, 2008
Ol boy man utd fans should be worried . . .with that defeat I am ripe for a shooting rampage angry tongue

I think Canada has stricter gun control, though I am not so sure. . .but Canadians generally abhor fire arms, except the Texas wannabes in Alberta and some of the more criminal elements in pockets here and there. The Quebecois actually revile weapons and their cops are rarely armed. Even with that, there have been incidents of this kind of shootings. sad

Just last week two buildings were locked down and campus shut because some fruitcake made some threats in the bioscience building angry Thank goodness nothing happened then. Gun control needs to be implemented, even if it simply means making the process far more stringent with regular psych evaluations.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 17, 2008
doyin13:

i nor know wetin dey carry una go university for yankee. when i go school if i had to keep watching my back. . .i would have preempted the move
by going on my own spree. . . .my defence----- 'friendly fire' or 'collateral damage'

Th shootings in these Yankee universities is not enough to discourage guys from going there to study. After all, in my school days i lost count of people that were shot dead by their fellow students. It is still going on in Nigeria universities.
The difference is that most of the massacre in Nigerian universities are not reported in the local media, not to talk of international media.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by texazzpete(m): 5:04pm On Feb 17, 2008
j-girl:

Apparently everyone else in the world but those in US are safe from being shot in classes.

Are you really a Nigerian?

Because 90% of people who went to public unis in Nigeria can tell you tales of people getting shot in exam halls, in front of school gates, bukateria and even in Church, all in the name of cult war.

I spent 6 years in a Nigerian university (thanks to Strike and Obasanjo) and i KNOW the death toll from all the cult-related clashes would definitely exceed 50.

Hell, even lecturers weren't spared the killing either.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by 4Play(m): 5:10pm On Feb 17, 2008
texazzpete:

Because 90% of people who went to public unis in Nigeria can tell you tales of people getting shot in exam halls, in front of school gates, bukateria and even in Church, all in the name of cult war.

I spent 6 years in a Nigerian university (thanks to Strike and Obasanjo) and i KNOW the death toll from all the cult-related clashes would definitely exceed 50.

Once people stay for long abroad,they lose their sense of perspective.If you compare deaths per capita in both countries universities system,you will see a clear difference.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by almondjoy(f): 7:30pm On Feb 17, 2008
Just a fact of life in the American society. undecided  I think I am not shocked anymore when a hear or read about things like this.  If kids do not shoot you dead in America, you could take your chances at the London Tube stations too with them gypsies.  Or better still--use the hazardous motorways in Nigeria.  So, please every society has its drawbacks!  What's the big deal? undecided The good news is that the gun[b]men[/b] usually end up dead--one less menace to deal with in the society.

That should teach most people to pay close attention to their kids and find out what works for them to be well adjusted in society.  Get them the help they need and early interventions.  If you slack up in your parental responsiblities--you definitely will get shot at.  cheesy

Especially those over-sabi, too know make "Agbede" short parents who want to bully their kids and shove some some "bullshit" African/kwanzaa values up their cracks and down their throats.----take note.

All you are going to raise are angry, dysfunctional kids who will not hesitate to gun you and everyone else around them down.  All we can to is mourn the dead and console/counsel the living.  It is going to be a part of this society for a long time.  You guys berrrrrer brace yourselves. I have prepared maself for those eventualities.

This is the time to do all you can---whether you spare the rod oh or you climb the rod oh, chances are the society we live in now, is very impressionable upon kids.  You can only do your best. undecided

Those of you that settle everything with shouting and slapping, thank God for guns in America--

APOCALYPTO!!!!!! kiss on your cute behinds!

I say ma kids must attend private schools--not these hoodlum joints called state universities! cool---Not all are bad of course,  where you have part time drug dealers and full time bipolar disorderly, molested kids!

That should also teach those stupid politicians up there in Washington, that there are other things to deal with besides "Abortion" and the threats of "gay rights"!  I do not see any of their children attending such schools! kiss

I wonder why!
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 11:13am On Feb 18, 2008
texazzpete:

I did my first degree in Nigeria and I cant recount any account of a student getting shot on campus. The only shooting incident was done by the police outsde the gate and it was during a demonstration. Maybe during your time, cultists were on rampage but even 50 deaths in 6years does not compare to what goes on in America.

BTW, I am ready to contest your 50 deaths accounts going by some of the things you have written on this forum.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 11:18am On Feb 18, 2008
almondjoy:

Especially those over-sabi, too know make "Agbede" short parents who want to bully their kids and shove some some "bullshit" African/kwanzaa values up their cracks and down their throats.----take note.

All you are going to raise are angry, dysfunctional kids who will not hesitate to gun you and everyone else around them down. All we can to is mourn the dead and console/counsel the living. It is going to be a part of this society for a long time. You guys berrrrrer brace yourselves. I have prepared maself for those eventualities.

The kids who were brought up as you humoruously denigrated above have NEVER been reported to be involved in any such killing. They are not the angry ones. The angry ones who react to society are the ones who have been brought up in the same system you seem to extol.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by texazzpete(m): 11:54am On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

BTW, I am ready to contest your 50 deaths accounts going by some of the things you have written on this forum.

Your choice, my friend. in your bid to contest my statement, kindly interview people who studied in the following universities: AAU, Uniben, UNICAL. Perhaps in your school the local confraternities engaged in such pacifist activities like tug-of-wars and karaoke contests, but in so many other schools in Nigeria their rivalries often led to fatal confrontations.
remember what happened in OAU some years back?

Anyone who was in uniben between 1997 - 2002 knows what i'm talking about.

Now, you're insinuating that i've posted false info in this forum before. if you're really as educated as you claim, you'll know that the burden of proof is on the accuser. Kindly provide evidence to show i've lied here before, or remain damned as a liar.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 12:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
texazzpete:

Your choice, my friend. in your bid to contest my statement, kindly interview people who studied in the following universities: AAU, Uniben, UNICAL. Perhaps in your school the local confraternities engaged in such pacifist activities like tug-of-wars and karaoke contests, but in so many other schools in Nigeria their rivalries often led to fatal confrontations.
remember what happened in OAU some years back?

Anyone who was in uniben between 1997 - 2002 knows what i'm talking about.

Now, you're insinuating that i've posted false info in this forum before. if you're really as educated as you claim, you'll know that the burden of proof is on the accuser. Kindly provide evidence to show i've lied here before, or remain damned as a liar.

We seem to be talking about different periods and places in Nigeria here. I finished my first degree in 1989. I dont even know what AAU means

The burden of proof is on you to provide evidence for your assertion. It is not for me to provide evidence but for you who made to assertion to provide some form of evidence. It's the norm worldwide when people are unconvinced of any assertion
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 12:15pm On Feb 18, 2008
even on this forum, people get asked to produce evidence of their posts/assertions
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by texazzpete(m): 1:16pm On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

even on this forum, people get asked to produce evidence of their posts/assertions

even on this forum people like YOU carry out character assassination (and smear attacks).
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by almondjoy(f): 2:09pm On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

The kids who were brought up as you humoruously denigrated above have NEVER been reported to be involved in any such killing. They are not the angry ones. The angry ones who react to society are the ones who have been brought up in the same system you seem to extol.

Not to worry, we will soon catch up.  Is it not the same America they are all raised? undecided  Let us finish with 419 and credit card frauds first!  Or Drug smuggling! kiss

Blatant:

I did my first degree in Nigeria and I can't recount any account of a student getting shot on campus. The only shooting incident was done by the police outsde the gate and it was during a demonstration. Maybe during your time, cultists were on rampage but even 50 deaths in 6years does not compare to what goes on in America.

Judging by the size and complexity of America, you should be pleased that this does not happen in every school every 3 seconds. By comparing the size of Nigeria to that of America--you are doing both some major injustice!

Bottom line, every society has its problems.  We just have to find ways of coping that's all.  Crime is everywhere.  I repeat, due to the size and complexity of the US, I am so glad things are just as they are--I am amazed that things have not gotten way out of hand, that we do not have mini gestapos and militants all over US cities or drive by shootings on every street corner here.  I can only thank them for the job they do in keepin' the country sanely together.  Other places like Nigeria would have evaporated--no thanks to any special mechanisms in place, but for the special grace of God!

Think about it! kiss
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by 4Play(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

I did my first degree in Nigeria and I can't recount any account of a student getting shot on campus. The only shooting incident was done by the police outsde the gate and it was during a demonstration. Maybe during your time, cultists were on rampage but even 50 deaths in 6years does not compare to what goes on in America.

My friend,its obvious you have been outside the country far too long.50 deaths in 6 years is even small when you think of the death toll in some schools like ESUT.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by almondjoy(f): 2:25pm On Feb 18, 2008
4 Play:

My friend,its obvious you have been outside the country far too long.50 deaths in 6 years is even small when you think of the death toll in some schools like[b] ESUT.[/b]

he he he he he he he he he he he! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin You done come with this your ESUT. What a name!

Chai!!!

Or Igbobi Boys Secondary School in Lagos there,

Or Agbado Primary School or Airewele Secondary school in Benin-city!
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by 4Play(m): 2:43pm On Feb 18, 2008
@AJ

Seriously,that school was a war zone.Almost everyday,you will be hearing gunshots.Occasionally,they will run into UNN(neighboring school) with their wahala.Between Jan and April 04 alone,there were 7 cult killings.Any ESUT student will confirm that 50 deaths in 6 years pales in comparison.

Add this up to what goes on in other Universities,you will see that there is greater danger in Nigerian Universities.

The ESUT stands for Enugu State University of Technology grin
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 3:05pm On Feb 18, 2008
Maybe I dont know the Universities in Nigeria now and maybe things have changed quite a bit but I have still to hear of any student just going on a killing spree.
Even the cultists probably have their own rival targets: not just to go into a lecture theatre and start a shooting spree.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2008
almondjoy:

Not to worry, we will soon catch up. Is it not the same America they are all raised? undecided Let us finish with 419 and credit card frauds first! Or Drug smuggling! kiss

Judging by the size and complexity of America, you should be pleased that this does not happen in every school every 3 seconds. By comparing the size of Nigeria to that of America--you are doing both some major injustice!

Bottom line, every society has its problems. We just have to find ways of coping that's all. Crime is everywhere. I repeat, due to the size and complexity of the US, I am so glad things are just as they are--I am amazed that things have not gotten way out of hand, that we do not have mini gestapos and militants all over US cities or drive by shootings on every street corner here. I can only thank them for the job they do in keepin' the country sanely together. Other places like Nigeria would have evaporated--no thanks to any special mechanisms in place, but for the special grace of God!

Think about it! kiss

We wont catch up with them in killing stupidly. Nigerians are too scared of dying to kill and kill themselves.

I do believe that drug smuggling is not Nigeria's problem. Americans and Europeans should control their drug problems. If a Nigerian smuggles drugs into US/Europe, good luck to him/her but if he/she gets caught, he should be ready for the jail term. BUT Nigeria should stop wasting her resources in chasing drug smugglers.

The drug smugglers can be of benefit to the Nation if they succeed and they bring the money back home to invest rather than squander.

If you reverse the roles, America/Europe would never care about drug smuggling. They'd rather say that Africans are bad for such drug addiction levels
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by bawomolo(m): 3:16pm On Feb 18, 2008
drug smugglers don't invest the money back into the nigerian economy. they usually spend the money on lavish things or launder them in foreign banks. drug smugglers actually spoils nigeria's image which leads to less foreign investment.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by bawomolo(m): 3:18pm On Feb 18, 2008
Without Gun control, these types of incidents will continue to happen - it is too damn easy for any crazed loony to get his hands on a weapon and start killing people. But with the powerful gun lobby, I doubt if that will happen soon.

guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people. without guns, people would find other weapons such as knives or pipe bombs to use. just like alcohol prohibition, excessive gun control would just create an underground economy
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by almondjoy(f): 3:19pm On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

We wont catch up with them in killing stupidly. Nigerians are too scared of dying to kill and kill themselves.

I do believe that drug smuggling is not Nigeria's problem. Americans and Europeans should control their drug problems. If a Nigerian smuggles drugs into US/Europe, good luck to him/her but if he/she gets caught, he should be ready for the jail term. BUT Nigeria should stop wasting her resources in chasing drug smugglers.

The drug smugglers can be of benefit to the Nation if they succeed and they bring the money back home to invest rather than squander.

If you reverse the roles, America/Europe would never care about drug smuggling. They'd rather say that Africans are bad for such drug addiction levels

I say do not worry.  Let us get to the 2nd and 3rd generation Nigerian-Americans that you cannot deferentiate them from awon "Timothy Mcveigh" them.  Don't compare first generation Africans to subsequent ones.  You will be making a terrible mistake.  Let us just keep praying I say that such does not befall us!  But ma motto always is be prepared!  We had a thread last year about a 22 year old boy born of Nigerian parents apprehended for making terroristic threats.  Only to find out he was a gun dealer too-on E-BAY.  I say let's just keep praying.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by texazzpete(m): 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2008
Blatant:

Maybe I don't know the Universities in Nigeria now and maybe things have changed quite a bit but I have still to hear of any student just going on a killing spree.
Even the cultists probably have their own rival targets: not just to go into a lecture theatre and start a shooting spree.

That's the point. You don't HEAR of uch things in Nigeira, while smaller things in the US get magnified exponentially.
When those 7 (?) students were slaughteredby cultists in OAU, did it appear on CNN?

As for 'any student going on a killing spree', people have killed for trivial reasons. A cult war started in my uni in 2002 because two students were arguing over a copy of Tupac's 'all Eyez on Me' cd. One guy shot the other, fighting started and before the dust settled 6 people were dead.

Blatant:

Tell that to the mother of the final year medical student in my Uni who was decapitated while writing his final exams.
tell that to my old friend Yomi who was shot 7 times in town while he was driving. You can't though. he's dead.

Didn't hear of that one, didja?
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Blatant: 10:52am On Feb 20, 2008
texazzpete:

That's the point. You don't HEAR of uch things in Nigeira, while smaller things in the US get magnified exponentially.
When those 7 (?) students were slaughteredby cultists in OAU, did it appear on CNN?

As for 'any student going on a killing spree', people have killed for trivial reasons. A cult war started in my uni in 2002 because two students were arguing over a copy of Tupac's 'all Eyez on Me' cd. One guy shot the other, fighting started and before the dust settled 6 people were dead.
Tell that to the mother of the final year medical student in my Uni who was decapitated while writing his final exams.
tell that to my old friend Yomi who was shot 7 times in town while he was driving. You can't though. he's dead.

Didn't hear of that one, didja?

You already said it all: they are cultists killing themselves, not just jumping into a classroom for no reason and shooting everyone in sight

You dont get shot 7 times while driving except you've involved yourself one way or the other with the shooters, either in cultism or crime.
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by almondjoy(f): 11:20am On Feb 20, 2008
But armed robbers on the motorways of Nigeria will shoot you more than 7 times.  You take your pick. kiss
Re: 17 Reported Shot After Shooting At Chicago Area University by Jakumo(m): 11:55am On Feb 20, 2008
Nigerian authorities have historically kept few if any national statistics on fatalities due to road accidents,  sudden power outage, armed robbery, typhoid-transmitting "pure water", ritual murder, inept medical attention, fake pharmaceutical drugs, adulterated fuel, contaminated food items, pipe-line explosions, malaria, polluted ground water and religious riots, and it is just as well that no collated mortality data base exists , since the news would make too depressing a read for many.

Even if there is one US campus shooting per month for the next year, the numerical odds of a person resident in Nigeria chancing upon a sudden and premature death on any given day are WAY higher than the chances of any law-abiding person resident in the USA winding up in the morgue before their time.

World press attention is rightly drawn to any campus shooting in the USA, yet the true risk of falling victim to such a random and statistically rare US campus attack still pales in comparison to the far more pervasive risk to Nigerian university students of being set upon by armed campus  "cult" groups who kill rivals and the innocent with clockwork regularity throughout the Nigerian federation, and to the risk faced by everyday Nigerians just surviving against the odds in a "peace-time" nation at war with itself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guo Okeke: Abductors Demand N500m Ransom / Http://www.punchng.com/articl.aspx?theartic=art201102189412835 / The Future Of A Nigerian Child, What Does It Look Like?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.