Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January (9087 Views)

Shoemaker Urges Buhari To Ban Footwear Importation. / FG To Earn N2.5b Daily From N50 Bank Charge / FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by CrazyMan(m): 6:03am On Dec 18, 2012
The Federal Government has announced that packaged sugar (finished cube and granulated) importation into the country will officially become prohibited in January 2013, under a new sugar policy intended to replicate the successes achieved with the Backward Integration Policy in the cement industry.

Also, the importation of raw sugar, which is the basic raw material for refined sugar, will soon stop being an all-comers’ affair under a reviewed importation policy to be introduced in the sector soon.

According to the new policy, a full era of backward integration will soon begin, which will tie importation of brown raw sugar by producers and manufacturers in the country to the quantum of their local productive capacity in sugarcane cultivation and development, either as fresh growers or outgrowers.

The Minister of Trade and Investment, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, according to a statement,  stated these on Monday in Abuja, adding that on the average, Nigeria had been losing N568bn yearly to the importation of brown sugar.

He said 98 per cent of brown sugar used in the country was being imported, adding that the new shift of focus from importation to local production was aimed at creating employment.

Aganga also announced that the government, through his ministry, had put in place strategies to restructure areas of critical needs and losses.

To this end, he said Nigeria would be generating N474bn ($3bn) from a focused correction of imbalances in weights and measurement, especially in the oil and gas and telecoms sectors of the economy in the year 2013.

For instance, in the area of product measurement, he said, “We want to reposition and strengthen the Weight and Measure Department to stop the $3bn yearly loss in foreign exchange to inappropriate measurements in all facets of the economy.”

The minister also said the country attracted $8.9bn worth of foreign direct investments as of the end of 2011.

He said, “In all, investments worth of $8.9bn were attracted into Nigeria in 2011, showing that FDI inflow into Nigeria surpassed the global and regional average by, at least, 20 per cent during the year.

“For you to attract investment into the country, you must have the right structure in place, and that is why we now have Trade and Investment desks in our embassies, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is fully involved.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-to-ban-packaged-sugar-importation-in-january/

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by engrfcuksmtin(m): 6:13am On Dec 18, 2012
First to........ok this will definately favour the price of g.nut
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by dejust(m): 6:39am On Dec 18, 2012
That's a good idea for our economy to grow.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ujchief(m): 7:06am On Dec 18, 2012
Now this is going to affect the price of our dearest comodity, a close associate to sugar and the only good friend the groundnut has...
#see as pyguru dey wait to ban me...#

11 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 18, 2012
dejust: That's a good idea for our economy to grow.
And also another reason for DANGOTE to smile to the bank

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Wendyslim(f): 8:52am On Dec 18, 2012
Ok we don hear, which year una wan ban okirika? grin grin grin grin
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 8:55am On Dec 18, 2012
So instead of encouraging Nigerians to go into Sugarcane farming.. Instead of improving our Univeristies of Agriculture to enable them carry out plant research that would enable them create stronger strains of fruits that can survive in Nigeria, we are stopping the importation of refined sugar..

Whats the difference biko?! Its like you stopped the importation of Orange Juice, yet we import Oranges.. lol. How stupid!

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ujukala: 9:00am On Dec 18, 2012
It is good if it will create some jobs.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 18, 2012
Christmas came early for dangote.

although, the ban is necessary but im not sure of the timing.
I don't see locally made sugar around.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 18, 2012
angry so it wiL naw become a contraban Like weed?!!...haba don aLLah!
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Jimbadly: 9:06am On Dec 18, 2012
This is definitely a ploy to make Dangote richer. By this time next year he'll be atleast the 3rd richest man in the world. His money is sure working for him. Guess how much he used to lobby the govt officials that introduced this latest ban.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by obi4eze(m): 9:09am On Dec 18, 2012
Good news for Dangote!
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 18, 2012
I've switched to nasco sugar(made in nigeria) a long time ago. So ban on st Louis won't affect me!
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by remmyton(f): 9:11am On Dec 18, 2012
few days into 2013 long awaited year, a lot of policy, law n its enforcement, budget and so many others awaits dis year, don't be surprise by dis time 2013, we will still be taking d same thing.

*kneels down n pray for Nigeria*
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju: So instead of encouraging Nigerians to go into Sugarcane farming.. Instead of improving our Univeristies of Agriculture to enable them carry out plant research that would enable them create stronger strains of fruits that can survive in Nigeria, we are stopping the importation of refined sugar..

Whats the difference biko?! Its like you stopped the importation of Orange Juice, yet we import Oranges.. lol. How stupid!
na now I know say you no get common sense for that your big head. Shey the sugar when dem go manufacture internally na from breeze, the technical know how na from breeze too. Olodo.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by midetinz(m): 9:12am On Dec 18, 2012
dejust: That's a good idea for our economy to grow.

LIES! A good idea for DANGOTE to grow more

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by odave: 9:14am On Dec 18, 2012
Dangote, you good to go, preparing way for jonathan 2015...settling them to have a smooth ride grin
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by GeneralGaricks: 9:24am On Dec 18, 2012
Okay
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by mosunade(f): 9:25am On Dec 18, 2012
some folks see nothing good in what the government does. So, all they see in this policy is that its a ploy to make Dangote richer. Come on. Be objective for once, saying good about a policy when you see it doesnt reduce your worth, so, use your brain and forget this ploy to make Dangote rich balderdash.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Afunwa92: 9:26am On Dec 18, 2012
ogbeche77:
Before nko, who knows how the face of Dangote will look like now.

Dangote don hammer again.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by GeneralGaricks: 9:30am On Dec 18, 2012
ogbeche77:

Yes, as Gboko cement plant dey shut down now. It's good to have more than one line of business.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by chaotik(m): 9:33am On Dec 18, 2012
Last mont dangote shuts down a cement plant . . . Next month he plays god in d sugar industry . . . All in a bid not to fall off the forbes list

Ppl claim to c opportunities and better economy growth . . . I c monopoly and greed

@mosun_ade - r u aware wat part of the country dis news is coming from ??

r u a learner ??
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 9:36am On Dec 18, 2012
blink182: na now I know say you no get common sense for that your big head. Shey the sugar when dem go manufacture internally na from breeze, the technical know how na from breeze too. Olodo.

[b]Technical know how?!! grin

Funny stuff.. Shey na Nigerians invent sugar making?! Technical know-how for sugar?! Simple crystalization na ehn be the technical know-how?!

Apka Amu, if they want to impress me, they should ban the darn thing outrightly. Lets source for the materials locally. Why should we be importing raw sugar when Sugarcane can be cultivated locally and on an industrial scale?!

We banned the importation of 'PACKAGED ORANGE JUICE', however you can import 'ORANGE CONCENTRATE'. Sounds good. But then again, even the tetrapacks used in pakaging the juice is still imported. so its like you import all the parts for making the product (Including packet and even straw and glass to drink it) and then assemble it in Nigeria. Giving the tendency of Nigerian companies to cut corners and the zero quality control, you end up with a bullshiit tasting juice liek FUNMAN or a useless juice like Cappy.

Oranges are planted in Nigeria. We even have genetically altered oranges that can produce many fruits in a short period. Why are we still importing the darn concentrate?! Same for Sugar, same for Pineapples, same for Petrol..

Shey when I advise you say night school na wrong investment, you think say na bad bele I get.. Now see yourself. You think say Sugar manufacturing na rocket science abi?! Ewu Lokoja [/b]

7 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by tiarm: 9:40am On Dec 18, 2012
DANGOTE!DANGOTE!!DANGOTE!!! Trick flow for ya head like water kuku bye Nigeria nah
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by princemedico: 9:40am On Dec 18, 2012
speedyboi: I've switched to nasco sugar(made in nigeria) a long time ago. So ban on st Louis won't affect me!
Good! This have been long overdue, each time I see that st. Louis it makes me angry knowing that it is the well known and only choice for consumable sugar. @ speedyboi, I have never seen the Nasco sugar, pls where do you buy from?

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by asala1: 9:43am On Dec 18, 2012
midetinz:

LIES! A good idea for DANGOTE to grow more
Hehen? Is Dangote not in Nigeria? Will it not create jobs for Nigerians? Will farmers that will subsequently grow the sugarcanes not Nigerians? It is people like you that will still be carrying CVs around looking for jobs in that sugar factory. I don't think Dangote is stoping anybody from being an entrepreneur. If you have the courage and can take risk, start producing sugar.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ypzilanti: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2012
Jimbadly: This is definitely a ploy to make Dangote richer. By this time next year he'll be atleast the 3rd richest man in the world. His money is sure working for him. Guess how much he used to lobby the govt officials that introduced this latest ban.

Dangote will keep getting richer because he seems to be the only rich and connected man in Nigeria with the necessary business acumen to become a world beater. What stops other rich men in Nigeria from seizing the opportunity to buy huge acres of land and plant sugar cane? They steal government money and invest in property at exorbitant prices (an investment that does not need any brain power)...making house prices artificially high.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by CrazyMan(m): 9:51am On Dec 18, 2012
asala1:
Hehen? Is Dangote not in Nigeria? Will it not create jobs for Nigerians? Will farmers that will subsequently grow the sugarcanes not Nigerians? It is people like you that will still be carrying CVs around looking for jobs in that sugar factory. I don't think Dangote is stoping anybody from being an entrepreneur. If you have the courage and can take risk, start producing sugar.
Well said...
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 9:59am On Dec 18, 2012
princemedico:
Good! This have been long overdue, each time I see that st. Louis it makes me angry knowing that it is the well known and only choice for consumable sugar. @ speedyboi, I have never seen the Nasco sugar, pls where do you buy from?

WHAT!!!!?? angry angry

If they ban St. Louis ehn?!!! I swear

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ypzilanti: 10:01am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

[b]Technical know how?!! grin

Funny stuff.. Shey na Nigerians invent sugar making?! Technical know-how for sugar?! Simple crystalization na ehn be the technical know-how?!

Apka Amu, if they want to impress me, they should ban the darn thing outrightly. Lets source for the materials locally. Why should we be importing raw sugar when Sugarcane can be cultivated locally and on an industrial scale?!

We banned the importation of 'PACKAGED ORANGE JUICE', however you can import 'ORANGE CONCENTRATE'. Sounds good. But then again, even the tetrapacks used in pakaging the juice is still imported. so its like you import all the parts for making the product (Including packet and even straw and glass to drink it) and then assemble it in Nigeria. Giving the tendency of Nigerian companies to cut corners and the zero quality control, you end up with a bullshiit tasting juice liek FUNMAN or a useless juice like Cappy.

Oranges are planted in Nigeria. We even have genetically altered oranges that can produce many fruits in a short period. Why are we still importing the darn concentrate?! Same for Sugar, same for Pineapples, same for Petrol..

Shey when I advise you say night school na wrong investment, you think say na bad bele I get.. Now see yourself. You think say Sugar manufacturing na rocket science abi?! Ewu Lokoja [/b]

Na small small, na. Packaging products in your country is a way of creating more jobs. Even if the tetrapak is foriegn, the packaging process still employs people to manage the factory. Besides, tetra pak technology is protected by patent. In the case of sugar, its just a cardboard box basically.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Phikom(m): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2012
waiting....
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 10:03am On Dec 18, 2012
ypzilanti:

Na small small, na. Packaging products in your country is a way of creating more jobs. Even if the tetrapak is foriegn, the packaging process still employs people to manage the factory. Besides, tetra pak technology is protected by patent. In the case of sugar, its just a cardboard box basically.

Well said...

Oya, go bring Garri, purewater and St. Louis sugar, make we take hold belle till evening! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria SEC Seek To Raise Cryptocurrency Exchange Registration Fee / What Is The Minimum Initial Deposit To Open An Savings Account With Gtbank / My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.