Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January (9089 Views)

Shoemaker Urges Buhari To Ban Footwear Importation. / FG To Earn N2.5b Daily From N50 Bank Charge / FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ypzilanti: 10:05am On Dec 18, 2012
princemedico:
Good! This have been long overdue, each time I see that st. Louis it makes me angry knowing that it is the well known and only choice for consumable sugar. @ speedyboi, I have never seen the Nasco sugar, pls where do you buy from?

Abeg, who imports that St Louis sugar? The only damn sugar in the whole Nigeria. A country of 140 million people, where everybody takes sugar. Is it Dangote?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ypzilanti: 10:07am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

Well said...

Oya, go bring Garri, purewater and St. Louis sugar, make we take hold belle till evening! grin

grin abeg, who dey import the St. Louis? Na Dangote?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by thelastPope(m): 10:15am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju: So instead of encouraging Nigerians to go into Sugarcane farming.. Instead of improving our Univeristies of Agriculture to enable them carry out plant research that would enable them create stronger strains of fruits that can survive in Nigeria, we are stopping the importation of refined sugar..

Whats the difference biko?! Its like you stopped the importation of Orange Juice, yet we import Oranges.. lol. How stupid!

You have passed this level of someone who doesn't read the article before commenting. I am disappointed! Didn't read where he said the importation will be tied to local production? Haba my guy!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ChiSun27(m): 10:19am On Dec 18, 2012
I pray our custom officer will follow in dys fyt in a posityv way.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by thelastPope(m): 10:21am On Dec 18, 2012
midetinz:

LIES! A good idea for DANGOTE to grow more

So you prefer nigeria to import sugar than for dangote or anyone else to gro it locally? Illiterate! Who gave you phone this morning?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 10:22am On Dec 18, 2012
thelastPope:

You have passed this level of someone who doesn't read the article before commenting. I am disappointed! Didn't read where he said the importation will be tied to local production? Haba my guy!

I did read it o!!

But the truth is simple.. BAN IT OUTRIGHTLY!!!!!!!!!

Reason.. Importing will always be more favorable and chaeper.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ypzilanti: 10:32am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

I did read it o!!

Haba. That one is military mentality. In democracy things are done small small. If you ban outright, you are just making money for custom officials at the borders. The unmet demand of 140 million people is too much and no amount of border policing will stop smuggling. Local capacity has to be guided slowly to meet up demand before a full ban. The policy is a good one...if guided well.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by thelastPope(m): 10:37am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

I did read it o!!

Haba now! How can you just wake up in the morning and ban the staple need of every single Nigerian. Does that make any sense to you? You have to take it step by. Step now! Haba! You grow some, you ban some. You continue the circle till its all local! Haba, so if dem bring you in as a think tank person, na so you go fall hand? Smh!
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ekemit(m): 10:42am On Dec 18, 2012
hope 1 pack of cube wil nt b sold 4 #600 cos dat is hw 9ja tin is being done?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 10:47am On Dec 18, 2012
ypzilanti:

Haba. That one is military mentality. In democracy things are done small small. If you ban outright, you are just making money for custom officials at the borders. The unmet demand of 140 million people is too much and no amount of border policing will stop smuggling. Local capacity has to be guided slowly to meet up demand before a full ban. The policy is a good one...if guided well.

So why didnt they start making the plans first..

I can bet that no plans was put in place to boost local production first.. Make them ban am outright!! Make we start to use salt drink tea!! angry

All these half measures dey piss me off.. Afterall, we ban leather shoes when only aba dey make fake shoes wey no dey last!! So why cant we ban sugar outright

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 10:52am On Dec 18, 2012
thelastPope:

Haba now! How can you just wake up in the morning and ban the staple need of every single Nigerian. Does that make any sense to you? You have to take it step by. Step now! Haba! You grow some, you ban some. You continue the circle till its all local! Haba, so if dem bring you in as a think tank person, na so you go fall hand? Smh!

You know our country... Its either you go hard or you dont!!

Shey no be customs go still dey for seaport to clear the container of sugar?!

So we didnt outrightly ban it, which means its not illegal to import sugar.. So we really just banned/balanced it on paper, meanwhile sugar still dey fall in..

If you want results, BAN IT OUTRIGHT!! What this does is it increases the bribe of CUSTOMS and NAFDAC. So its not as easy to import anymore.. Then you will see results..

They have banned Orange Juice importation o!! Stute Orange Juice (which is all i drink) is found of the shelves in stores and is imported from the UK, made with Brazillian oranges.. grin

Who we dey decieve?!
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by fagin1982(m): 10:53am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju: So instead of encouraging Nigerians to go into Sugarcane farming.. Instead of improving our Univeristies of Agriculture to enable them carry out plant research that would enable them create stronger strains of fruits that can survive in Nigeria, we are stopping the importation of refined sugar..

Whats the difference biko?! Its like you stopped the importation of Orange Juice, yet we import Oranges.. lol. How stupid!

@ Okija Juju why are you and your likes always in a hurry to make quick negative assertions anytime the Federal Govt comes up with a good program..The ban on importation of sugar is simply to encourage local production ...For your information a 750k metric tons capacity sugar company has just been completed by Flour Mills of Nigeria ...The sugar company is titled Golden Sugar Comapny , they have over 40,000 hectares of land in Niger state and other parts of North already filled wth Sugar cane...Several other Sugar cane integrated farms re also encouraged with loans to facilitate these projects..Dangote sugar owns lots of hectares of sugar cane farms ...Multiple jobs will be provided by these schemes , Foriegn exchange reduced

Please and please Nairalanders if you don't have any meaningful contribution to make , quietly view and walk pass than showing off yourself ..You must not respond to every topic...A lot of us come here to learn...

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by fagin1982(m): 10:53am On Dec 18, 2012

@ Okija Juju why are you and your likes always in a hurry to make quick negative assertions anytime the Federal Govt comes up with a good program..The ban on importation of sugar is simply to encourage local production ...For your information a 750k metric tons capacity sugar company has just been completed by Flour Mills of Nigeria ...The sugar company is titled Golden Sugar Comapny , they have over 40,000 hectares of land in Niger state and other parts of North already filled wth Sugar cane...Several other Sugar cane integrated farms re also encouraged with loans to facilitate these projects..Dangote sugar owns lots of hectares of sugar cane farms ...Multiple jobs will be provided by these schemes , Foriegn exchange reduced

Please and please Nairalanders if you don't have any meaningful contribution to make , quietly view and walk pass than showing off yourself ..You must not respond to every topic...A lot of us come here to learn...
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by bolayei: 11:04am On Dec 18, 2012
Loool Nigerians..,Dangote must be very smart then if dem make the policy for Nigerians and Nigerians say na Dangote go smile go bank. Instead of looking for a good land to plant sugar cane and if you dont have money to turn it to sugar which is the finished product. You can sell your harvested sugar cane to manufacturers. If Dangote start producing sugar that is if he is not already doing so, you can sell your sugar cane to him and you are both smiling to the bank. Why da heck im i stuck in this country? this pikin dem grow quick abeg make man carry himself go house go chill for one village

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 11:06am On Dec 18, 2012
fagin1982:

Abeg drex go far jor!! If you no get respect for elder, respect Juju.. angry

Who are the top sugar producers in Nigeria?!

All I said was, BAN THE IMPORTATION TOTALLY!! not this half assed measure.. As long as foreign sugar which is chaeper (wether package or raw) still crosses our boarders, then local production will continue to suffer.

Ban it outright, fund university researchs to invent genetically altered sugarcanes that are impervious to diseases, sweeter and grow fast, e.t.c.. Lets struggle for a while, but things will settle eventually. But this half and half will not work..

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by bolayei: 11:10am On Dec 18, 2012
mosun_ade: some folks see nothing good in what the government does. So, all they see in this policy is that its a ploy to make Dangote richer. Come on. Be objective for once, saying good about a policy when you see it doesnt reduce your worth, so, use your brain and forget this ploy to make Dangote rich balderdash.

My kinda of Nigerian...,infact take xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

make God bless me with wife like you wey dey see vision instead of nightmare
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by seunfly: 11:10am On Dec 18, 2012
ogbeche77:
And also another reason for DANGOTE to smile to the bank
if it put a smile on Dangote's face why can't others smile by establishing their own sugar manufaturing plant and create employment for peaple.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by bolayei: 11:12am On Dec 18, 2012
blink182: na now I know say you no get common sense for that your big head. Shey the sugar when dem go manufacture internally na from breeze, the technical know how na from breeze too. Olodo.

stretch finger dey type nonsense the sugar cane wey mallam dem dey sell na imported abi na the fish eyes wey you know how to eat dey affect you?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by fagin1982(m): 11:19am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

Abeg drex go far jor!! If you no get respect for elder, respect Juju.. angry

Who are the top sugar producers in Nigeria?!

All I said was, BAN THE IMPORTATION TOTALLY!! not this half assed measure.. As long as foreign sugar which is chaeper (wether package or raw) still crosses our boarders, then local production will continue to suffer.

Ban it outright, fund university researchs to invent genetically altered sugarcanes that are impervious to diseases, sweeter and grow fast, e.t.c.. Lets struggle for a while, but things will settle eventually. But this half and half will not work..

My dear u are just bereaved of latest happenings in the Industry..I advice you just google or source for information...Google Konja Integrated Farms in Niger State ..Stanbic , Zenith re funding several sugar farms of high breed..Several Sugar cane farms of such...This sugar cane project started with Yaradua Govt...its taking full shape now ...Funds have been made available to Institute of Tropical Agriculture ABU for research on higher improved varieties of Sugar cane .GM species have already been palnted and harvested ..Golden Sugar just did the first test run of the Sugar Plant , Dangote is already waxing stronger , Bachita BUA and several Sugar plants re gona benefit from it ...They spend heavily on foreign exchange ...Its a landmark project for Nigeria as a whole ...Over 1million NiGerians wld benefit from it ..Here you re criticizing....why not set up a farm and apply for loan ...
Well keep talk is free ...so go ahead

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 11:23am On Dec 18, 2012
fagin1982:

My dear u are just bereaved of latest happenings in the Industry..I advice you just google or source for information...Google Konja Integrated Farms in Niger State ..Stanbic , Zenith re funding several sugar farms of high breed..Several Sugar cane farms of such...This sugar cane project started with Yaradua Govt...its taking full shape now ...Funds have been made available to Institute of Tropical Agriculture ABU for research on higher improved varieties of Sugar cane .GM species have already been palnted and harvested ..Golden Sugar just did the first test run of the Sugar Plant , Dangote is already waxing stronger , Bachita BUA and several Sugar plants re gona benefit from it ...They spend heavily on foreign exchange ...Its a landmark project for Nigeria as a whole ...Over 1million NiGerians wld benefit from it ..Here you re criticizing....why not set up a farm and apply for loan ...

BROS!!!!

I said BAN THE IMPORTATION OF SUGAR TOALLY!!

Did you hear that?! Doesnt that support your stance?!

Leaving any hole for partial importation will defeat the purpose.. I dont know about these projects you listed, but since you said they are there, then my point is still valid.. BLOCK OFF FOREIGN SUGAR TOTALLY!! WETHER RAW OR NOT!!!

Lets battle it out locally for a bit until it normalizes..

Whats your problem sef?! Abi you don mistake crystal meth for Sugar?!
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by bolayei: 11:24am On Dec 18, 2012
ypzilanti:

Abeg, who imports that St Louis sugar? The only damn sugar in the whole Nigeria. A country of 140 million people, where everybody takes sugar. Is it Dangote?

St Louis sugar have been around before anyone knew Dangote. The thing is nigerians monopolise things themselves because they dont like taking risk and competition and dont like starting small. I wonder how many nigerians know Dangote does not have a single monopoly on any product?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 18, 2012
princemedico:
Good! This have been long overdue, each time I see that st. Louis it makes me angry knowing that it is the well known and only choice for consumable sugar. @ speedyboi, I have never seen the Nasco sugar, pls where do you buy from?

I buy from shoprite......its not hard to find though, you can get 'em at regular stores. Its almost the same as st Louis in terms of price, size, weight and package.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ypzilanti: 11:54am On Dec 18, 2012
bolayei:

St Louis sugar have been around before anyone knew Dangote. The thing is nigerians monopolise things themselves because they dont like taking risk and competition and dont like starting small. I wonder how many nigerians know Dangote does not have a single monopoly on any product?

Hmmn. So before, what prevented guys from importing sugar cubes into Nigeria...all these years? Are we really this disingenuous? It brings to mind 'morning fresh' which was the only plate washing fluid in Nigeria since my mama born me. One guy is challenging that 'monopoly' now, sha. In other countries there is like 50 different brands of anything.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by apostle007(m): 12:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
Ban on imports is not necessarily a great idea, because every economic policy has hidden costs that can render it counter-productive. They did the same with cement: the result...high prices. Ladies and Gentlemen, the price of sugar would soon hit the roof! Local manufacture of products at all costs is not the way forward. Importing raw materials is not a bad thing if local manufacture is unduly expensive.

Some talk about benefits like job creation. That is good. But at what costs to the economy. Here's the thing. Those companies affected by ban, as was the case with cement, could fold up; and that means less competition to keep prices low which means sugar prices could disproportionately go up. when you couple this with the job losses that will later come from lower demand for the finished goods that use sugar as input (because of astronomical costs of sugar), this policy could eventually increase unemployment. you see, an economic policy is a double edge sword, not a one-way street.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by taharqa: 12:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
fagin1982:

I wish we had knowledgeable peeps like u on NL more often, it wont always feel like abandoning d forum cos of d many KIDS around. Plz post comments more often..... By d way, are u aware of d USA cop backd by d US EXIM bank that is investing billions of dollars in d entire Sugar value chain in parts of d north?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Originalsly: 12:37pm On Dec 18, 2012
I don't get it. If sugar importation is banned Dangote makes money...more local people get jobs. Sugar is imported...who makes money?... who get jobs? Why should Nigeria be importing what it can produce?...like oranges? How can Nigeria develop without trying to produce locally? Foreign is best mentality is a big setback to any country.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Okijajuju1(m): 12:54pm On Dec 18, 2012
apostle007: Ban on imports is not necessarily a great idea, because every economic policy has hidden costs that can render it counter-productive. They did the same with cement: the result...high prices. Ladies and Gentlemen, the price of sugar would soon hit the roof! Local manufacture of products at all costs is not the way forward. Importing raw materials is not a bad thing if local manufacture is unduly expensive.

Some talk about benefits like job creation. That is good. But at what costs to the economy. Here's the thing. Those companies affected by ban, as was the case with cement, could fold up; and that means less competition to keep prices low which means sugar prices could disproportionately go up. when you couple this with the job losses that will later come from lower demand for the finished goods that use sugar as input (because of astronomical costs of sugar), this policy could eventually increase unemployment. you see, an economic policy is a double edge sword, not a one-way street.

Nice analysis...

For me sha, it's all or nothing... Either ban it entirely, or allow free market rules to apply.
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ocelot2006(m): 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2012

Bros, isn't the ban meant to boost the local production of both raw and refined sugar? If so, then why the complaint?
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Kx: 1:00pm On Dec 18, 2012
We have crude in abundance, the raw material for petroleum products-AGO,PMS,DPK etc.

[size=13pt]When will FG ban the importation of fuel?[/size]
Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by fagin1982(m): 1:05pm On Dec 18, 2012
taharqa: I wish we had knowledgeable peeps like u on NL more often, it wont always feel like abandoning d forum cos of d many KIDS around. Plz post comments more often..... By d way, are u aware of d USA cop backd by d US EXIM bank that is investing billions of dollars in d entire Sugar value chain in parts of d north?

@ Taharqa ..Bless you Bro ..Yes I am aware of the US EXIM funds ..These are steps in the right direction to actually place the Nigeria Economy to whr its meant to be..

Aside South Africa Nigeria is the biggest consumer of sugar in Africa.yet we help other countries grow by Importing from them...Dangote Sugar Refinery is the largest in Africa and 2nd in the world yet not to show for it all because we neglected our Agricultural Sector..

This great move I hope it extends fully to rice ,fertilizer and the rest...Millions of Jobs will created ..a lot of the youths will get off the streets..Crime rate will decrease and so many positives attached ..

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by Shine1177: 1:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
When will Nigerians be ever contented with government policy?

Previous government encouraged sugar importation people shouted "our locals are losing jobs".

GEJ ban importation of brown sugar people shout "na for Dangote".

If Nigeria continue to import brown sugar our farmers will not do well but the ban will encourage large scale sugar plantations, which will create more jobs and any Nigerian businessman that is worth the calling will invest in sugar refinery, mind you we only have two sugar refineries in Nigeria serving 160 million people - BUA Sugar Refinery and Dangote Sugar Refinery - you too can join the league.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January by ocelot2006(m): 1:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
Kx: We have crude in abundance, the raw material for petroleum products-AGO,PMS,DPK etc.

[size=13pt]When will FG ban the importation of fuel?[/size]

That will happen when the market is fully deregulated, making it more profitable to build more local refineries to satisfy local consumption. Till then,...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Minimum Initial Deposit To Open An Savings Account With Gtbank / My Experience About Farm Buisness (yam Especially). / Naira Falls To 363 As Dollar Scarcity Continues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.