Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? (11207 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious / ***Is Christianity Becoming Too Superstitious And Beggarly Or What??*** / What If I'm A Muslim And Believe Jesus Is My Lord And Saviour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2012
Why are Nigerians too superstitious and believe too much in this juju myth?. . .

Why do Nigerians keep believing all all these nonsense?. . .I am not talking about rural dwellers, am talking about university educated people that attended universities in Europe and America. . .A friend was telling me just yesterday that evil spirits are now flying all over Nigerian roads killing people because its december and they know that people travel a lot, This is a man that we are doing PHD together . . .How can an educated person reason like this?. . .Many people I know here still believe that evil spirits and witches still spread diseases around. . .Many educated Nigerians believe they can use juju to get money, get women/men etc. . . .Just recently I was watching discovery science and they were doing a show about a bra that can detect cancer and notify the woman wearing it while Nigerians are busy blaming cancer on witches or evil spirit somewhere. . .How can we move forward when the educated ones still hold unto expired age long mythical beliefs that can never help us solve any of our problems?. . .

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by k2039: 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2012
very simple, because juju exists.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by mazaje(m): 10:57pm On Dec 18, 2012
k2039: very simple, because juju exists.

Have you tested it and seen for yourself?. . .What exactly is the evidence to show that witches are the cause of road accidents in Nigeria?. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by k2039: 11:02pm On Dec 18, 2012
mazaje:

Have you tested it and seen for yourself?. . .What exactly is the evidence to show that witches are the cause of road accidents in Nigeria?. . .
Find a witch, slap her and tell her you will be travelling by road the following day and that she can't stop you from having a safe trip.

Let me know the outcome of this experiment when you eventually try it.

29 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by k2039: 11:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
On a more serious note, witchcraft and it's like are overated.
Most of the excuse for the existence of witchcraft is our inability to take full responsibility for everything that happens, rather we blame the devil for everything that goes wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Purist(m): 11:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
Isn't it obvious? Religion and superstition go hand-in-hand.

If you believe in Yahweh/Jesus/Mohammed/Vishnu etc and their varying antagonists (Satan/demons/Shaitan, etc) then you must necessarily be superstitious, regardless of your level of education.

Also, Nollywood ain't helping matters at all.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 19, 2012
When you start believing one one fairytale, there would be little stopping you from believing in additional ones.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by edogho(m): 5:11am On Dec 19, 2012
k2039:
Find a witch, slap her and tell her you will be travelling by road the following day and that she can't stop you from having a safe trip.

Let me know the outcome of this experiment when you eventually try it.
its really overrated. Buh it exists. I have once witnessed their existence. I stayed in a igbe(juju) palace for months and i saw wat happened live. Buh,it does not make sense to blame all road accidents on witchcraft. I don't need further proof to know they exists. If anybody claims otherwise,please state your reason,i don't want the usual white peoples over exaggerated comments o. Talk like a black man except you've not experienced it. Just admit you're not aware of such existence.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by edogho(m): 5:13am On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03: When you start believing one one fairytale, there would be little stopping you from believing in additional ones.
wiki man speaking again. Get things live not from wikipedia. That's what you were told. Somewhere inside you,you know its not true. I admit you are too afraid to admit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 6:38am On Dec 19, 2012
all these juju claims is a thing of the MIND

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 9:26am On Dec 19, 2012
To be honest. Nigerians have not covered themselves with glory in this regard.

Their superstitious beliefs are really over the top. Remember that story about the police arresting a goat because ppl thought it was a thief at a market? They held it in custody for 2 weeks. Once everyone forgot about the ordeal they made goat suya... or maybe peppered goat meat out of the goat grin

In rhe early 90s there was also the fear that if someone tapped you from behind you would lose your jt. There were so many stories of ppl it had happened to. Even newspapers carried a few. But til today no one who has lost his dick has come forward to have pics taken to prove it happened.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by wiegraf: 9:58am On Dec 19, 2012
Atheist:-D:
To be honest. Nigerians have not covered themselves with glory in this regard.

Their superstitious beliefs are really over the top. Remember that story about the police arresting a goat because ppl thought it was a thief at a market? They held it in custody for 2 weeks. Once everyone forgot about the ordeal they made goat suya... or maybe peppered goat meat out of the goat grin

In rhe early 90s there was also the fear that if someone tapped you from behind you would lose your jt. There were so many stories of ppl it had happened to. Even newspapers carried a few. But til today no one who has lost his dick has come forward to have pics taken to prove it happened.

You had to put pins in your pockets to prevent the theft.

A friend of mine was arrested, after stating so then retracting he admits that yes, it was because he was accused of stealing a jt by some random dude. After spending the night 'behind counter' apparently the jt returned from its sojourn, and all was well and good in the universe for the rightful owner, and my brah now released. The mix up cleared, he was apologized to, etc

We're watching tv or what not I cannot remember(just a few months after his arrest), but the story of the shape shifting goat comes up, my brah looks at me, agitated as he usually is and tells me "see, and u no dey believe am! See am na for nta! U no see say even a whole educated big boi police oga believe am? Na u want come talk nonsense now?". And he's educated and intelligent, not to mention an extremely "sharp" guy when need be. True story

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by AtheistD(m): 2:12pm On Dec 19, 2012
wiegraf:

You had to put pins in your pockets to prevent the theft.

A friend of mine was arrested, after stating so then retracting he admits that yes, it was because he was accused of stealing a jt by some random dude. After spending the night 'behind counter' apparently the jt returned from its sojourn, and all was well and good in the universe for the rightful owner, and my brah now released. The mix up cleared, he was apologized to, etc

We're watching tv or what not I cannot remember, but the story of the shape shifting goat comes up, my brah looks at me, agitated as he usually is and tells me "see, and u no dey believe am! See am na for nta! U no see say even a whole educated big boi police oga believe am? Na u want come talk nonsense now?". And he's educated and intelligent, not to mention an extremely "sharp" guy when need be. True story

Lol.

The goat story even made it to bbcs website. Boy are other nations laughing at us for our superstitious stupidity. Now there is this crazy attitude among some pentecostals that if you mention some words they will be spiritually bound to you like a confession. Hence they do not say words like they are weak, sick, ill, poor etc due to the belief in the power of confession. Imagine walking into a hospital and telling them "you are well and feeling great" shocked

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by obi123: 3:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
because its more convenient to blame the spiritual

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Sunymoore(m): 3:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
Is because sime ppl like <del>TB Joshua</del> or sorry i mean some preachers exists.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 3:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
they have spiritual inclinations about most things that happens to or around them and also because they are too apprehensive.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by kokoye(m): 3:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
The same reason we are overly religious
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Pain(m): 3:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
Interesting. But how do we reconcile cases of people who openly confess to practicing witchcraft? Or are they merely seeking notice or popularity at the expense of their reputation?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Agrika: 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Believe it or not juju/voodoo exists and is real and live in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
lets just say they exist because you gave them the chance.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by delors(m): 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje: Why are Nigerians too superstitious and believe too much in this juju myth?. . .

Why do Nigerians keep believing all all these nonsense?. . .I am not talking about rural dwellers, am talking about university educated people that attended universities in Europe and America. . .A friend was telling me just yesterday that evil spirits are now flying all over Nigerian roads killing people because its december and they know that people travel a lot, This is a man that we are doing PHD together . . .How can an educated person reason like this?. . .Many people I know here still believe that evil spirits and witches still spread diseases around. . .Many educated Nigerians believe they can use juju to get money, get women/men etc. . . .Just recently I was watching discovery science and they were doing a show about a bra that can detect cancer and notify the woman wearing it while Nigerians are busy blaming cancer on witches or evil spirit somewhere. . .How can we move forward when the educated ones still hold unto expired age long mythical beliefs that can never help us solve any of our problems?. . .
Siddon there dey yarn nonsense...we know say evil spirits dey here...because u dey do PHD for abroad so we shud deny reality abi? Yeye boy. Evil spirits are here wella...everywhere! real! confirm! Deal with it!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Olamyyde(m): 3:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Minion: your crookedness[color=#770077][/color], why are educated nigerians superstitious
Hades: my useless minion, i have said it, and i will say it again. Most educated nigerians are intelligent fools who go to higher institutions to learn but cannot apply anything they learnt. They allow themselves to be enslaved by their political leaders or fake pastors who are uneducated themselves.
Imagine an educated wife who doesn't cook for her husband or disrespects him blaming evil spirits/demons for her husband marrying a 2nd wife.
Another example is a woman with her children in a house that would collaspe 5 minutes later. Her neighbours tell her to leave the house but she refuses saying "the blood of jesus will prevent the house from falling".
Nigerians should stop blaming spiritual/superstitious causes but should address the root cause of their problems which most times is themselves

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by SamMilla1(m): 3:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Illiteracy. What else?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Please don't underestimate the powers of juju...even the westerners respect such deities. Anyway, what do you mean by PHD? Do you Ph.D? Na waoh, please which institution did you obtain such PHD? SMH with juju nails...
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by IYANGBALI: 3:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
k2039: very simple, because juju exists.
leave am make him dey yarn nonsense
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by drlaykay(m): 3:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Na wa o!I tire
I just read dis
SCHOLARSHIPS ARE DEMONIC
God opened the eyes of the man of God(Rev.Dickson Smith) to see d evil behind scholarships.most firms and individuals that give out scholarships have their founded base on occultic stands.
Rev.Dicson Smith of the revelation forever ministry had delivered an ex member before he was visited by God.
The ex-member(Drake flavour) explained more.
"The scholarships are actually paid by the lord of the coast.how can u explain winning a scholarship, most times, at a platter of gold.sometimes with just feeling of applcation forms"he said.he continued by saying they surely get their returns in the future(some people can't explain how they lose in businesses.they have simply been made to pay back in mutiple folds).some might even pay back with their soul.now, the major target is africa where the government have been made to ask foreign investors to conduct compulsory scholarship schemes.
We have to be prayerful and get closer to God for deliverance .PLS RBC
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by IYANGBALI: 3:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
Agrika: Believe it or not juju/voodoo exists and is real and live in nigeria
abeg tell the ajebo from ghana
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
I don't believe in juju.
But I know that we battle not flesh n blood but against principalities and powers, rulers of darkness...Ephesians 6:12.
But the power in Christ Jesus has conqured!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by GentleNaaz(m): 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje:

guy ebi lik say dy neva do u juju b4. Just pray so dat u dnt fall victim
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by moneyhungry(m): 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
its cuz there are 'SUPER' powers everywhere and SUPER things happen everyday...
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by Pidivine: 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
@ poster I think you are ignorant of the reality in Africa. Your ignorance does not stop the existence of evil powers in Africa. Evil exist in every place of the world but African witches are bent wicked. Go to some places in the riverine areas, u'll hear strange voices of people communicating with nobody in view. I pray u'll not fall a victim of this to believe their existence.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? by trolling(m): 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
mazaje:

read your bible you'll know they exist and you can goggle it phd holder

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Weekly Watchtower Study Edition Discussion Trend, For JW (JW Only) / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section / Do Nonvirgin Men Have The Moral Right To Condemn Nonvirgin Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.