Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches (2075 Views)

Yahoo Chat And Yahoo Mail Beta Now Integrated / Can't Check Yahoo Mail Or Chat? / Connecting To Yahoo Chat Rooms Through Linux Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by my2cents(m): 5:54pm On Apr 25, 2006
Is it just me, or is it that if you chat with any nigerian based in nigeria, they employ one of the following:

1) BUZZ (if you use YIM)

2) asl

2b) If you are the same sex, they immediately bail on you as if that is all that matters in chat room

3) What do you do?

4) I need your help

No shakings o. I'm just wondering. Did I miss anything? wink
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by hotangel2(f): 6:31pm On Apr 25, 2006
Well wat else do u espect them to ask? Ur social security number? Ur house address?

I think it's just nromal to ask for a/s/l. Although some people r annoying with it. And thjat Buzz thing pisses me off.

Yeah these things could be annoying but OMG, wat do u want a stranger to ask you? Give me ur phone number? Or Meet me at mr. biggs?

Lets think about it, would u want a stranger to tell u all about his life the minute he sends u an IM? Won't u freak out?
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by my2cents(m): 7:06pm On Apr 25, 2006
I would actually prefer we gist and let things flow. Chatting doesn't have to boil down to an immediate request for biography. When pple ask me such up front (and am sure as you know, we tend to be very brash in our conversation), it turns me off.

Just an opinion wink
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by hotangel2(f): 7:13pm On Apr 25, 2006
Well exactly my point,, it's better u start with gist. Gist like how old are you. A?S?L? I dont wanna be talking to my father's age mate, the hell we gon be talking abt?
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by my2cents(m): 7:15pm On Apr 25, 2006
u wd b surprised. for one u cd b seeking advice on something. u never know
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by hotangel2(f): 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2006
yeah true that, But it just feels like chatting with an "online predator". I mean if i know him personally, okay? Infact nahh.,, i have father figures i can call n ask questions here, dont have to look for em online.
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by nike4luv(f): 8:04pm On Apr 25, 2006
the buzz drives me mad and asking age sex location makes u aware of the kind of person u talking to
sometimes the person might be so interesting u forget askin asl it could be after the 3rd conversation before u ask but basically asl are the basics

doesnt it annoy u when some people leave their number on the first time of conversation and sometimes tel u 'make sure u call me tonight'?
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by my2cents(m): 8:07pm On Apr 25, 2006
nike4luv,

you just explained better my point to hot-angel grin There is nothing wrong in asking certain questions. Just don't ask as though it were because of a decree punishable by firing squad lol

Yeah, the number thing actually cracks me up. They leave their number and ask you to call them and then if you don't call, they rake you as though it is your fault. I even had one guy ask me for money for school. When I said no, he said something to the effect that I wasn't a true friend and that there was no need to continue with our "Friendship". I was like, c me c trouble o LOL
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by pascal(m): 8:21pm On Apr 25, 2006
@my2cents

i think the level of poverty is very bad here and there is no way out.

those of us that we are lucky to have some thing doing here, all eyes are on US to do everything and you know what it is not possible to attend to everything or situation as they come.

till we all come to the fact that what we need to fight it on our own no GOD will fall from the sky to help us.

it is really bad down here

any way GOD will help us out.
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by nike4luv(f): 8:23pm On Apr 25, 2006
AMEN to that but correct me if am wrong, do u actually think its easy on us that live in the uk or usa i mean we are not blair's sons and daughters nor George bush's

plus, do u ask a totaly stranger that u have absolutely no idea of who the person is only mere virtually meeting him for money, its actually not safe leaving ur number undecided
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by hotangel2(f): 8:27pm On Apr 25, 2006
I doubt if they know that. As big as nigeria is i don't think anyone is actually scared that someone will track em down.

It's not like here, where IP addresses and phone numbers and so on can just give a stranger every information s/he needs abt you.

It's not safe for us, but i dont think they have anything to lose (that is those in nigeria), since they r mostly in a cafe anyways, If u track the cafe, well good luck if u find who u looking for.
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by my2cents(m): 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2006
word up nike4luv,

I think this particular issue is veering from the topic of my post. I was merely trying to point out similarities in chats b/w myself and nigerian nairalanders. To respond though:

Pascal, just like nike said, I would beg to differ. Everytime I go there, even pple who I know aren't doing well at all always blame me for looking worn out. They look healthier than me and have people at their beck and call. Didn't CNN say about 3 years ago that Nigerians are the happiest pple on earth? wink That is oyibo company saying this o.

Of course, in general, overseas is better than naija, but I will tell you this: The stress some of us go through here is not worth it at all.
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by Coomasie(m): 8:40pm On Apr 25, 2006
I think there is no problem if anyone ask for asl from anyone. We should all be open minde and be ready to meet new people from different part of the world including the less priviledge and should not ridicule some people because we are better off
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by beyunce(f): 8:57pm On Apr 25, 2006
Coomasie:

I think there is no problem if anyone ask for asl from anyone. We should all be open minde and be ready to meet new people from different part of the world including the less priviledge and should not ridicule some people because we are better off

Exactly. You are welcome to nairaland my dear.
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by pascal(m): 9:11pm On Apr 25, 2006
Pascal, just like nike said, I would beg to differ. Everytime I go there, even people who I know aren't doing well at all always blame me for looking worn out. They look healthier than me and have people at their beck and call. Didn't CNN say about 3 years ago that Nigerians are the happiest people on earth? wink That is oyibo company saying this o.

[quote][/quote]

well if you have been to Nigeria recently you understand that we have more poor people than ever. CNN is saying what they are paid to say like the issue of third term i hope you heard wht the president of World bank said about baba iyabo and the finance minister

well GOD dey
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by my2cents(m): 9:14pm On Apr 25, 2006
Again, the main topic is being ignored. But to respond: Just because I don't like being asked for money by a total stranger (for all we know, pple on nairaland may not be who they claim to be), doesn't mean I am making fun of anyone because I am better off than they are.

I have been on both sides of the railroad track. Let's stop comparing apples to oranges.
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by beyunce(f): 9:17pm On Apr 25, 2006
haha
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by raphy(m): 9:34pm On Apr 25, 2006
hi all,
as u were saying bout d cht stuff,its not bad asking someone tht u v nver met b4
bout an asl.d asl can help u know were d person is from his age n sex, so we all v to be open minded. in a cht room some ppl can lie u know som can be male then say they r female which is not good som can even steal some one credit card on net or sale fake
things like that,if d effcc caugth them it 'll be a big punishment 4 them so u v to always b
truthfull on d net ok. u v to be sure of whom u r given ur phone number or home adress.
i read a story in newspaper namely sunnews a yoruba guy use d net to dupe american lady of millons of $ he told her that he is a white guy working in company in nigeria sod lady belive then d guy show her a fake pix n said he 'll marry d lady so she should send money to build house 4 there wedding but d guy eat all d money. at last d lady came to nigeria want to c d guy. d guy wanted to play her but d effcc caugth d guy in a hotel @ ikeja d guy is with dem now cry embarassed
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by Zahymaka(m): 2:33am On Apr 26, 2006
When someone asks me for my age, sex and location I ask the person in turn. The people that annoy me are the ones who initiate a conversation, then after you've answered, keep [b]BUZZi[/b]ng you as if they expect you to hold up the conversation. It makes me angry angry angry angry angry angry angry .
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by nike4luv(f): 1:34pm On Apr 26, 2006
the box drives me mad, and the worst is when u eventually give ur number after several persuasions all they do is FLASH u! my gawd, that flash thing makes me throw my fone to the wall [but i cant because then i will shoot myself] angry
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by bolex(m): 12:53pm On May 08, 2006
haha

asl is outdated

abeg

ps: i talk 2 evry1, if not i won;t have an e-father grin

& am sure when the time comes to ask him for help , he wd know for me to ask him , I need it

not just straight away

so also, if friends i know from internet well talk to me about help, why , i would help dem

dt buzzing, i love buzzing but i know it pisses people off

the trick of buzzing is: BUZZING MAKES A GAL'S ASS SHAKE as in vibrate, feel me wink grin
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by nike4luv(f): 1:11pm On May 08, 2006
i think there should be a new way to ask people about themselves, in a code kind of way cheesy
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by LoverBwoy(m): 5:02pm On May 10, 2006
point 2b- i generally dont like speaking to male strangers on my messenger - Msn, or yahoo

I dont mind talking to female strangers though grin
Re: Naija Nairaland Web Chat Cliches by freakydeak: 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2010
i dont really no wuchall talkin bout buuuuuuuut i just wanned to say somethin cool
sighnin out
phat phats, chunkey munkey, moo moo ,mimi, /freaky deak wink

(1) (Reply)

Any Penetration Tester Here? / Anybody Using Wifi.com.ng? / Dell XPS 13 (2016 I7 Version) Could Make You Forget About Macbook, Macbook Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.