Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? (13391 Views)

More Pressure On Economy As Online Job Application Declines Over 46% / President Buhari Bows To Pressure, Relaunch Jonathan’s Youwin Programme / What's The Best Approach To This Question "How Do You Handle Pressure"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Xyzee: 1:14pm On Dec 20, 2012
Hello house,

I'm a very regular poster in this section but am so worried.

I started looking for job since January and it appears God is about to give me one in a good bank when after all the interviews I was called for medicals.

During Medicals, my BP rose to 155/81 and the doctor rechecked, this time even rising higher to 150/100. I did some other blood, urine, HIV and general body tests. Can I be disqualified because of this high blood pressure?

Moderator, please help me to the front page. Thank you.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by tyoseni(m): 1:44pm On Dec 20, 2012
it was due to anxiety, the medical personel could have calm u down before he recheck. Just keep praying, God in his infinite mercy will c u tru.

1 Like

Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by emerald1(f): 1:57pm On Dec 20, 2012
My friend too was diagnosed of asthma,hope it wount affect him.thanx
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 20, 2012
Bros, just pray cos nothing is above God.

OBINOSCOPY, help this guy to the front page, he sounds worried.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by SincereMind(m): 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2012
What are the mods waiting for? To the front page please! I am in the same shoes with this guy!
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Kzinne: 3:10pm On Dec 20, 2012
@op forget about dat job and employ urself.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 20, 2012
Definitely!!!
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Freezle(m): 3:15pm On Dec 20, 2012
i dont think so! GOD has the final say.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 20, 2012
Never
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by zoogy2007: 3:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
You should have had the courage to ask the doctor. There is something they call white coat hypertension, which is as a result of anxiety as you see the doc. Usually they will do an ECG to determine if your heart is already damaged. If it is not, they usually would give you the job and advice you on how to manage it. More than 60% of the work force have hypertension in naija. so its not a big deal.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by ziccoit: 3:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
No, they would only have to ask you to undergo treatment. You know what? 50% of all the workers in that company could be hypertensive too.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Obinoscopy(m): 3:21pm On Dec 20, 2012
SincereMind: What are the mods waiting for? To the front page please! I am in the same shoes with this guy!

Its on frontpage
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by 2legit2qwt: 3:22pm On Dec 20, 2012
I think it'll depend on the type of job. Since your bp is being tested and all that, i'd think it's probably a high stress level job.
Personally, i'll be more concerned with why I have a HBP than actually securing that job, this is a serious condition that can lead to complications and don't assume it's normal.

Good luck and work on getting the HBP taken care of.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by zoogy2007: 3:23pm On Dec 20, 2012
I had the same problem and i was employed. Dont stress yourself. what will be will be

1 Like

Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:23pm On Dec 20, 2012
@ Topic YES!!! Depending on the jod description for which you are applying for..

But in your case, it seems your high pressure count was caused by anxiety.. I just hope you dont have a history of High BP, if so, then it could work against you!
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Xyzee: 3:28pm On Dec 20, 2012
Okija_juju: @ Topic YES!!! Depending on the jod description for which you are applying for..

But in your case, it seems your high pressure count was caused by anxiety.. I just hope you dont have a history of High BP, if so, then it could work against you!

It's a banking job.

@all. Tnx for your contributions. I will also appreciate a medical expert's view.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 20, 2012
I'm hypertensive and on medication. It has neither affected my job nor lifestyle in any way. The situation was known to my employers before I started work. Employers have different standard for medical evaluation. The important thing is that you have been diagnosed and can now manage the situation.

3 Likes

Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 20, 2012
Xyzee:

It's a banking job.

@all. Tnx for your contributions. I will also appreciate a medical expert's view.

Then you should be fine (I guess)..

Do you have a history though?! That would be the deciding factor. If yes, then I cant tell, if no, then you should be fine..
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 20, 2012
It's 50 - 50. If they are looking for who to drop for some excuse.

It's a high pressure job; and your High B.P may not help your cause.

But then Op, you would been praying over it instead of seeking help from no man's land.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by allout: 3:31pm On Dec 20, 2012
@ OP: Don't know much about banks, MNC's would take you if there's no better candidate. A one man business will definitely reject you, as someone rightly noted, you're strictly in the hands of God!

For those who might not know, a portable BP machine goes for 10K or less, I think everyone should endeavour to get one and monitor this BP thing. Op's case might be due to anxiety, it could also be the real thing which requires adequate treatment and monitoring!. . . it is well.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 20, 2012
OP I will advise you to stop worrying about the job and visit a good cardiologist for proper evaluation and proper treatment for HBP if need be. Dont just ignore it.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 20, 2012
You have to be realistic . . . do you really want to work in a bank with a high blood pressure undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by kokoye(m): 3:39pm On Dec 20, 2012
It is a bank job..your bp should not be an issue.

Dont stress yourself and make things worse. If this is your normal bp range, take the necessary precautions and/or medication to bring it down.

Your health is important for you.

Good luck
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Posman(m): 3:40pm On Dec 20, 2012
IT DEPENDS ON THE EMPLOYERS. PRAY GOD MAKE YOU FIND FAVOUR IN THEIR SIGHT
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by DANILSA(m): 3:44pm On Dec 20, 2012
Kzinne: @op forget about dat job and employ urself.
SHUT-UP undecided THAT'S HOW YOU PEOPLE COME HERE SPEWING NONSENSE,YOU WANT HIM TO ASK HOW? SO YOU CAN TELL HIM TO CALL YOU PRIVATELY,NA MOUTH DEM THEY TAKE EMPLOY.

2 Likes

Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 20, 2012
The Lord God almighty Jehovah in Heaven has the final say. Keep praying for your health and that you should secure that job. In Jesus name it will be well with you. You can also go back to the doctor to make your concerns known to him and I am sure he will be helpful.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by dulphines: 3:51pm On Dec 20, 2012
Xyzee: Hello house,

I'm a very regular poster in this section but am so worried.

I started looking for job since January and it appears God is about to give me one in a good bank when after all the interviews I was called for medicals.

During Medicals, my BP rose to 155/81 and the doctor rechecked, this time even rising higher to 150/100. I did some other blood, urine, HIV and general body tests. Can I be disqualified because of this high blood pressure?

Moderator, please help me to the front page. Thank you.

If u have a high BP, i know of a cheap permanent therapy that works in three days. It's an alternative medicine. Inbox me if you care. Doesn't cost a dime.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by effixy: 3:55pm On Dec 20, 2012
i like everyone here... u guys talks with so much maturity. @op bank job may be very stressful so take care of urself.. U will get the job

1 Like

Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by nagoma(m): 4:11pm On Dec 20, 2012
With the blood pressure readings you presented , it's unlikely that you are hypertensive. In any case I would rather not diagnose hypertension when the test is done at/for job interviews . The second question on BP affecting employment. I see no hinderance there unless you are going to pilot the CEO's new jet. Seriously speaking a diqualification due to high blood pressure in most jobs should be illegal and can lead to genuine legal issue.
Re: Can High Blood Pressure Screen Me Out?? by bokohalal(m): 4:11pm On Dec 20, 2012
Some companies let you go take care of yourself then come back with your employment letter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed / Should I Quit This Work. / Massive Academic And Few Non-academic Recruitment At FUOYE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.