Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Holier-than-thou - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Holier-than-thou (4785 Views)

Mzjackbaueress Where Are Thou? / Which Number Art Thou? Be Honest / Busybein Where Art Thou? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 8:03pm On Dec 20, 2012
Most of us try to do the right things in life if only so we can look ourselves in the mirror everyday and like who we see. None of us wants to live with guilt, regrets or remorse and with good reason I must say. But there exists a certain group of people out there who feel morally superior to everyone else and think they are above the average person in their ability to know right from wrong. These are the ones I like to refer to as the holier-than-thou set of people. They see themselves as much fairer, more self-sacrificing, more ethical, more concerned for the welfare of others. I know you’ve already run into some along the way and haven’t appreciated the experience if you were keen enough to notice and identify this character in them. The source of the problem is that these people have an inflated unrealistic view of themselves. They will criticize someone’s actions, say they would never do such an immoral thing and then fall short when their “morality” is tested. The fact is no one knows what they would actually do in any given situation unless confronted with that situation. A Holier-than-thou person can predict he would do the right thing, but it doesn’t always work out that way. More often than not, they will react just like every other average person when in the same or in similar circumstances.
Statements like: I would never cheat on a test or on a spouse, never gossip, never lie, never break the law, and many others, are socially acceptable views, but does everyone stick to them? These same holier-than-thou people, with a mistaken inflated view of themselves will then apply these beliefs to others behavior and hold everyone else up to their high standards, even though they themselves do not meet these standards of behavior. This leads some of them to publicly and harshly criticize and judge others for falling short and this can in turn harm or ruin others’ reputation. Passing judgement on people only serves to make ourselves appear more superior in our own eyes.You would think that if the holier-than-thou population experienced situations where their actions fall short of their own expectations of others, that it would certainly teach them something and humble them to the point where their expectations become more realistic.
They might realize for example, that some behaviors are caused by the situations and not the moral character of the person involved and maybe resist making judgments, this would be a great outcome. However, people’s behaviors are not that easily changed and I think the holier-than-thou’s would like to keep their little rating system in place. To keep themselves up on a pedestal and the rest of us peons in place, they set up a double standard whereby they are not breaking any rules, even if they are doing the same exact thing. They create their own loop holes and in so doing become hypocrites as well.I think we all guilty of having a little “Holier-than-thou” tendency built into ourselves. After all, it’s not so bad to think good of yourself and to have standards of behavior that are a little idealistic. The trouble comes from trying to impose your idealistic set of beliefs on others and then criticize them when they fail to meet them. The sad news for the holier-than-thou person is that there is always almost a time in his/her life when they become a victim of scrutiny and harsh judgement, even then most still make excuses but those around them at that time will already have realized that this holier-than-thou person is also like every other average human out there, capable of goofing up.

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 10:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
Na wa o, these nairaland people are not nice at all. Almost one year has gone by and yet not one single comment?? embarassed cheesy cheesy

Oda, lemme be the first to comment (and hopefully not the only one grin grin)

cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 11:05pm On Nov 26, 2013
LoL grin cry
Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 11:26pm On Nov 26, 2013
crackhaus: LoL grin cry
grin

Let us keep exchanging smileys until people notice the thread.

I will go first:

grin grin cheesy angry grin grin grin cheesy angry grin

Your turn grin

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 6:06am On Nov 27, 2013
learn to distinguish between hypocritical sanctimoniousness and outright cyber bullying which 99% of the time is when a GROUP of criminally minded bullies decide to pick on a person they consider a soft target ie that they can get away with.

the fact that your feelings are hurt when your lifestyle is viewed under a microscope, does not give you the right to bully people, learn to let alone what does not concern you, unless you are being paid to pick on others.

in that case, enjoy the money.

last time i checked, sexuality section is up and running, nobody is disturbing them there despite the fact that casual sex and all manner of s.exual activity [both deviant and otherwise], is discussed there, i dont see any so-called holier-than-thou telling anybody not to solicit forsex or post whatever p.orn fantasies they want.

likewise, tribalism section is busy everyday, you'd be better off spending your energy fighting that as a holier-than-thou and it might boost your self esteem to have a cause, who knows.

instead of whining because your conscience is judging you.

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 6:39am On Nov 27, 2013
@ ishilove

keep refreshing the page, thanks.
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 7:18am On Nov 27, 2013
tpia@:
learn to distinguish between hypocritical sanctimoniousness and outright cyber bullying which 99% of the time is when a GROUP of criminally minded bullies decide to pick on a person they consider a soft target ie that they can get away with.

[s]the fact that your feelings are hurt when your lifestyle is viewed under a microscope, does not give you the right to bully people, learn to let alone what does not concern you, unless you are being paid to pick on others.

in that case, enjoy the money.

last time i checked, sexuality section is up and running, nobody is disturbing them there despite the fact that casual sex and all manner of s.exual activity [both deviant and otherwise], is discussed there, i dont see any so-called holier-than-thou telling anybody not to solicit forsex or post whatever p.orn fantasies they want.

likewise, tribalism section is busy everyday, you'd be better off spending your energy fighting that as a holier-than-thou and it might boost your self esteem to have a cause, who knows.

instead of whining because your conscience is judging you.[/s]
Haaaa! See tpia oo, what on Jupiter's co.ck are you yapping about
You should have ended in the first paragraph, I don't know where you got the rest from.

You soooo missed the point, maybe you need to understand that it's not about tribalism, sexxual preferences, or whatever gibberish you came up with, like seriously?

Thanks for the comment though...the topic is sensitive because we all guilty of it somehow, which is probably why no one knew how to respond to it wink grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 7:34am On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove:
grin

Let us keep exchanging smileys until people notice the thread.

I will go first:

grin grin cheesy angry grin grin grin cheesy angry grin

Your turn grin
angry grin
Chop this one too kiss
Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 10:15am On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus:
angry grin
Chop this one too kiss
kiss kiss embarassed

Oya do ya own angry
Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 4:07pm On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus:
Haaaa! See tpia oo, what on Jupiter's co.ck are you yapping about
You should have ended in the first paragraph, I don't know where you got the rest from.

You soooo missed the point, maybe you need to understand that it's not about tribalism, sexxual preferences, or whatever gibberish you came up with, like seriously?

Thanks for the comment though...the topic is sensitive because we all guilty of it somehow, which is probably why no one knew how to respond to it wink grin grin

Bro, learn to be open minded in interaction, did the op specify what people should type as a response?

So because i didnt join ishilove to post smiley or chop knuckle, you have a problem with my post?

Start thinking outside the box, instead of limiting yourself in narrowmindedness aka my way alone.
Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 4:07pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove:
kiss kiss embarassed

Oya do ya own angry

Keep going.
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
tpia@:

Bro, learn to be open minded in interaction, did the op specify what people should type as a response?

So because i didnt join ishilove to post smiley or chop knuckle, you have a problem with my post?

Start thinking outside the box, instead of limiting yourself in narrowmindedness aka my way alone.
I am the op and I have no problem with your post angry

Please tpia, can I ask you an honest question?
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 4:44pm On Nov 27, 2013
@ishilove, don't you find it remarkable how genius and crazy coincide ever so often?

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus: @ishilove, don't you find it remarkable how genius and crazy coincide ever so often?
Our God has an unbeatable sense of humour, that's why smiley

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by DukeNija(m): 5:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
I can relate with the genius and crazy.. I just hope u are not referring to @tpia grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 5:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove:
Our God has an unbeatable sense of humour, that's why smiley
Now that you mention God, I hope you don't agree with everything your friend Obadiah posits about the bible...I wouldn't want that for you grin
Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 6:23pm On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus:
I am the op and I have no problem with your post angry

Please tpia, can I ask you an honest question?

no, thanks.
Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 6:25pm On Nov 27, 2013
Duke_Nija: @tpia grin grin lipsrsealed

everybody should stop mentioning my name everywhere, thanks.

even the ones wey join yesterday will still call my moniker as if nobody else dey here.

anyway, you are?
Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 6:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus:
Now that you mention God, I hope you don't agree with everything your friend Obadiah posits about the bible...I wouldn't want that for you grin
Heck na. I only agree with 2% of Obadiah's posts about the bible grin
Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 6:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
Tpia has ZERO point Zero sense of humour undecided embarassed

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 6:46pm On Nov 27, 2013
Go on.
Re: Holier-than-thou by Idrismusty97(m): 6:54pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove: Tpia has ZERO point Zero sense of humour undecided embarassed
Her post below is humor for me grin

tpia@:

no, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 7:04pm On Nov 27, 2013
She is NL's resident grouch grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 7:06pm On Nov 27, 2013
tpia@:

no, thanks.
But seriously it's important. Something to do with this thread;
https://www.nairaland.com/1533508/photo-why-ladies-doing-nonsense#19830508

I don't get why that guy mentioned your name in there. You must be pretty if it's really you/
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 7:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove:
Heck na. I only agree with 2% of Obadiah's posts about the bible grin
*so relieved*

I thought I had lost another person(a thinker) who seemed intelligent to brain aneurysm.

How did you come about this thread anyway
Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus:
*so relieved*

I thought I had lost another person(a thinker) who seemed intelligent to brain aneurysm.

How did you come about this thread anyway
I went through your profile ni o

Obadiah has some radical ideas but I think he is an okay person
Re: Holier-than-thou by Ishilove: 7:26pm On Nov 27, 2013
crackhaus:

I don't get why that guy mentioned your name in there. You must be pretty if it's really you/
Goodness. The dude was only joking na. undecided
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 7:30pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove:
Goodness. The dude was only joking na. undecided
Of course he was joking, I was only being troublesome with the Miss grin
Re: Holier-than-thou by crackhaus: 7:34pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ishilove, what is your opinion on the original write-up on this thread? I know It's quite old but you must have something to say about that and I'd really like to hear it.
Re: Holier-than-thou by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2013
smh. grin
Re: Holier-than-thou by tpia5: 3:53am On Nov 28, 2013
crackhaus:

no, its not me [check my signature].

i've reported the post, although i must say i'm surprised anyone took it seriously, however, it IS cyber bullying and extremely distasteful.

the picture smacks of cannibalism btw.

very gross.
Re: Holier-than-thou by adexsimply(m): 7:21am On Nov 28, 2013
tpia@:

no, thanks.
buhahahahahahahhahaha grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meanwhile In Dubai (shocking Pictures Of Dubai) / STRIPPER PRAYING! What Do You Say (pics) / How To Save Pictures From Nairaland Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.