Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant (8938 Views)

World’s First Successful Head Transplant Operation: Man’s Head Cut Off / U.S. Records First Case Of Ebola / Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by taharqa: 11:42pm On Dec 20, 2012
A major medical breakthrough has been recorded in the nation’s capital, Abuja, as a team of Nigerian doctors have successfully carried out a kidney transplant operation on a 20-year-old patient, Gabriel Onogu.

The landmark operation took place last Friday at Viewpoint Hospital in Gwarimpa Estate, Abuja by a team of surgeons led by Mr. Elijah Maina and his partner, Prof. Hakeem. Three more patients are on the list for transplant which the hospital believes will also be successful.

Maina, a consultant, trauma-vascular and general surgeon, had worked in the UK before he came back to Nigeria.

He initially worked with the State House Clinic and National Hospital, Abuja but is now working with various hospitals in Abuja.

Viewpoint Medical Director, Dr. Hauwa’u Bello Gambari described the successful operation as a remarkable feat and major breakthrough and expressed optimism over the three remaining patients.

Giving insight into the transplant, Gambari said the lucky patient is doing well and even started “making” urine on the operating table. She said Onogu has been out of school because he was on dialysis. The young man’s condition has been a huge burden on his family since his father is late.

“He should be getting dialysis three times a week but because his father is late, his mother is an unemployed widow and his brother Stephen Onogu, the donor, is also an unemployed graduate. They couldn’t even pay for the dialysis and for this reason, he was having his dialysis once in a week which wasn’t good for him,” said Dr. Gambari.

She said getting a donor is not a problem but at the same time not easy since the organ has to be compatible with the patient

“One cannot just request for another’s kidney. Even when there is a donor, the kidney has to be screened for compatibility. Drugs have to be given that will prevent rejection for life. Chances of succeeding are higher if the compatibility supersedes”, she explained.

She said the hospital will embark on the next surgery by January next year and called on people suffering from the ailment to come out and solicit for help. She also stressed that the operation can be done in any government hospital, depending on the government’s commitment.

“Whoever has the disease should not cover it up and die in silence, they should come out and for those that have the means, they should support them even by paying for their dialysis,” she stated.

Gambari said the other patients on the line will have their transplant after they get the right donor and after necessary tests have been done

The lucky patient, Gabriel Onogu, told our reporter that he is happy over his treatment and was proud to be the first to benefit in the first transplant in the hospital.

“I thank the kidney foundation and my brother who donated his kidney for me. Also I thank the doctors that performed the operation. Due to my health, I couldn’t pursue my admission further since I had to be on dialysis every week, but by the grace of God, I should be back in school next year”, he said.

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/index.php/news/news/national-news/10273-abuja-hospital-records-first-kidney-transplant

While a few Teaching hospitals like UI, UITH, LUTH have performed this kind of operation recently, I am particularly struck and happy by the fact that this was a PRIVATE hospital and that one of the doctors who performed the operation was a former 'Diasporan'.

Hope many peeps would see the HUGE opportunity in establishing World class Medical practice in Nigeria to take advantage of the equally HUGE (and unfortunate) Medical tourism of some well-to-do Nigerians. Hope the many Nigerian Experts abroad would particularly see this opportunity. Finally, ope the Govt does its best to provide the environment for them as they improve Public Hospitals.

Kudos to these doctors and the hospital; safe recovery to the patient.

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by GARRIx7(m): 12:12am On Dec 21, 2012
NIce one!!! Long overdue though.....
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:27am On Dec 21, 2012
Impressive. The success of this operation shall be permanent in Jesus name, amen.
We want more hospitals & able Nigerian doctors. Enough of travelling to India, Germany & other countries for any thing kidney or cancer.
Nigeria go survive.
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by nameo: 2:00am On Dec 21, 2012
What is the address of the hospital
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by dridowu: 8:33am On Dec 21, 2012
Dats Good news
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by k2039: 8:34am On Dec 21, 2012
The poor certainly can't afford a private hospital, so it's more of a good news to the rich than the poor.
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Super1759: 8:42am On Dec 21, 2012
wow! Am soooo happy, the donor, stephen is my man, my manest man, last 2weeks we were together and he told me about this,we felt for him and his younger brother. They paid 5million naira for these. Am soo happy that he made it.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by elari(m): 8:43am On Dec 21, 2012
k2039: The poor certainly can't afford a private hospital, so it's more of a good news to the rich than the poor.
did u read where it was sais the poor should not cover up, but publicly seek for assistance
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by k2039: 8:51am On Dec 21, 2012
elari: did u read where it was sais the poor should not cover up, but publicly seek for assistance

Sure I did, it's really not easy getting help at that(we dont have to pretend we don't know how the country is currently, the poor dont even have a say except NGO's help them though), the goverment will make it easier if they commit to helping and also facilitating it in goverment hospitals(a probability at that)

'She also stressed that the
operation can be done in any government
hospital, depending on the government’s commitment.'
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by tunapawizzy: 8:56am On Dec 21, 2012
at least now d poor can sell kidney to the sick rich .......1 kindney 100m ...agree or die....Now looking for Diezani
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by miteolu(m): 9:01am On Dec 21, 2012
[b]Not [/b]successful yet until the victim survive for the next 12 months
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Dawinlove(m): 9:05am On Dec 21, 2012
U guys wil see dat Naija wil not stop shouting or singin of dis,wat hav they even done,tryin to disgrace us in d midst of other nations plss remove this from the front page,dem never do anytin, may them go transplant liver may dem kil person mtchew
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 21, 2012
so the ones them dey do before, people dey die shey?
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by honeric01(m): 9:44am On Dec 21, 2012
tunapawizzy: at least now d poor can sell kidney to the sick rich .......1 kindney 100m ...agree or die....Now looking for Diezani

100 million naira for one kidney? where dem dey buy kidney? grin
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by chioma134: 9:47am On Dec 21, 2012
I'm happy for this development. The name and description sounds like that of one of our patients. If he is the one,I'm really glad for him.
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Sagewood: 10:20am On Dec 21, 2012
Great milestone......more to follow!
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 21, 2012
Dawinlove: U guys wil see dat Naija wil not stop shouting or singin of dis,wat hav they even done,tryin to disgrace us in d midst of other nations plss remove this from the front page,dem never do anytin, may them go transplant liver may dem kil person mtchew
I really dont knw wen sum idiots wil appreciate our beloved contry 4 once

1 Like

Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Shaggyfreshfish(m): 10:59am On Dec 21, 2012
Kidney for sale! Contact me on 080*8*878*2
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by stupor(m): 11:05am On Dec 21, 2012
Have heard the first kidney transplant so many times now.

So which particular one is now the actual first.

Nigerians and misinformation !
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Dextra(f): 11:19am On Dec 21, 2012
I hate organ transplants. reduces the quality of life for both donor and recipient. if one of my organs fail, I'll rather give out the rest and die happily than cause another healthy person trouble and still depend on medication and caution for the few added miserable time added to me. don't judge me. That's how I feel about it. angry
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by Demdem(m): 11:57am On Dec 21, 2012
Good development no doubt. Am curious enough to know the cost.
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by tunapawizzy: 12:01pm On Dec 21, 2012
honeric01:

100 million naira for one kidney? where dem dey buy kidney? grin
u wan sell ya own? ur target market determines ow much u sell....actually some people sell for as low 5m naira...but if u read my post well, u'll see my target market is Diezani, Otedola...etc
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by aglomar: 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2012
Great!
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by tinuolababy(f): 2:20pm On Dec 21, 2012
good good news. saw this on someone's DP last week. Glory be to God
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by mu2sa2: 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2012
b
Re: Abuja Private Hospital Records First Successful Kidney Transplant by mu2sa2: 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2012
Good news indeed. But govt officials will still prefer to go abroad for "medical checkup", because it's an avenue to siphon public money.No matter the facilities at home governors, ministers, top govt officials- and their family members- will continue to troop abroad in the name of medical treatment, many even going several times in a year for "follow up". A big chunk of the recurrent expenditure of govt is earmarked for these thievish trips.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Caro White Cream Has Been Banned. / Lagos State Website To Fight Ebola Epidemic / COVID-19 Update For November 21 2020 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.