Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,891 members, 7,806,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

The Great Calabar Misconception - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Great Calabar Misconception (3381 Views)

Some Misconception About Warri And Her People / The Great Yorubas, People Of A Unique And Vast Culture / The Great Songhai Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Great Calabar Misconception by chessguru1(m): 7:37pm On Dec 22, 2012
The level of ignorance most nigerians show concerning the difference btw both tribes is really amazing. To the extent that must people will see an akwa ibomite an address him as a calabar man.
This wouldn't be a problem if not that J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ the same way any achievements of an akwa ibom person maybe attributed to the calabar or 'efik' tribe, any 'phuck up' by an ibibio person is also attributed to the efik people by these ignorant observers.
Where this misconception really pissed me off is when a friend was bragging about how he so much pucked a calabar girl. Only 4 me 2 find out he has bin doing an akwa ibom chic all dis while.
There is also a misconception about calabar girls and sex. 1st of all, I believe this is highly hypocritical, as no one can point any state or tribe that 'hate' sex.
Secondly, the way people talk about immorality in calabar, u wld almost think that people over there have mad intercourse on the street. But with all this fallacious assumptions, cross river state remains one of the 7 least populate states and has a much lower hiv prevalence index than some states (@least we better pass benue.lolz).
The same thing goes for accents.
If you have ever been to calabar, u will confirm that majority (not all) speak clean english and don't not have strong accents.
There are also so many differences that people over look.
Anybody that see's an akwa ibomite an calls him a calabar man might as well see a bayelsa man nd call him a rivers person.
Its as silly as that
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by Abagworo(m): 10:59pm On Dec 22, 2012
Actually most people in the East know the difference between Efik, Annang, Ibibio, Oron, Ekoi etc and several other ethnic groups and languages in AKS and CRS but we use Calabar as a collective name because your languages are related and has no common name. I know that Essien and Esin are same name but different languages. You should ignore the stereotypes and work more towards unity with your neighbors because you have more similarities than differences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by chessguru1(m): 11:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
Abagworo: Actually most people in the East know the difference between Efik, Annang, Ibibio, Oron, Ekoi etc and several other ethnic groups and languages in AKS and CRS but we use Calabar as a collective name because your languages are related and has no common name. I know that Essien and Esin are same name but different languages. You should ignore the stereotypes and work more towards unity with your neighbors because you have more similarities than differences.
Well said
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by ifyalways(f): 11:08pm On Dec 22, 2012
Do we really need all this division undecided

Time shall come, soon infact, when we'll wish we were more at peace and united with our immediate neighbours.

Btw, I've noticed that an average Efik indigene feels superior/more enlightened than his ibibio counterparts.
Ibibios don't bother when they're referred to as Calabar but call an Efik guy an Akwa ibomite, he'll raise a storm cheesy
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by chessguru1(m): 11:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
ifyalways: Do we really need all this division undecided

Time shall come, soon infact, when we'll wish we were more at peace and united with our immediate neighbours.

Btw, I've noticed that an average Efik indigene feels superior/more enlightened than his ibibio counterparts.
Ibibios don't bother when they're referred to as Calabar but call an Efik guy an Akwa ibomite, he'll raise a storm cheesy
Yeah so true. My guess is that it has a bit 2 do with the history. My dad once mentioned that whn he was really young (50's), they where willing 2do any kind of ridiculous job (won't mention wat he told me though).
Pride is another thing (d efik man is pretty proud sha)
I guess d two societies are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ diff.
But in anycase, I see akwa ibom over taking cross river (if imoke remains in comatose nd akpabio in overdrive)
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by ezotik: 3:46pm On Dec 23, 2012
what tribe was olumba olumba from?
i actually respect that man for convincing/deceiving a whole lot of people that he is the 'second coming'
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by ezeagu(m): 5:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
So Calabar Efik (or those Efut and Ekoi follow?) feels superior to Ibibio, and Ibibio feels superior to Annang, and Annang feel superior to who? Ekoi? But Ekoi is the one that gave everyone culture from Ekpe to arts like the Calabar monoliths.

There was a genetic study done in the Cross River which showed that despite differences in language and small differences in culture, you all have actually mixed to the point of being one group.

In fact the title of the paper is:

[size=18pt]Little genetic differentiation as assessed by
uniparental markers in the presence of
substantial language variation in peoples of
the Cross River region of Nigeria[/size]

Results

The Cross River region was shown to be extremely homogenous for both Y-chromosome and mtDNA markers with language spoken having no noticeable effect on the genetic structure of the region, consistent with estimates of inter-language gene flow of 10% per generation based on sociological data. However the groups in the region could clearly be differentiated from others in Cameroon and Ghana (and to a lesser extent Igbo populations). Significant correlations between genetic distance and both geographic and linguistic distance were observed at this larger scale.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2148-10-92.pdf

So what does this mean? Akwa Ibom and (southern) Cross River state are one people with different languages and slight variation in culture, and also they are most related to the Igbo. Feda mor, ofe ogbono is green and brown.
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by odumchi: 8:43am On Dec 24, 2012
Akwa Ibom ethnic groups seem to be more aggressive than their counterparts in Cross River. In the olden days, the Annang (in Ikot Ekpene and Abak) were said to be dangerous because they supposedly killed and ate foreigners, whereas the Efik were generally more hospitable and accommodating. It's also represented in their cultures: the Efik enjoy the peaceful and graceful Ekpe, whereas their rougher Ibibio and Annang cousins craft fearful masks and dance to the thundering tune of the Ekpo. Man, I love the Cross River region...

1 Like

Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by fratermathy(m): 11:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Obinoscopy, Seun;

Dont y'all think this thread is meaningful and long overdue? undecided
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by fratermathy(m): 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
I LOVE the AkwaCross People passionately. They are nice, hospitable, peaceful, calm and friendly. I ran away from my state to come and stay with the Ibibios and I've never regretted it. However, this Calabar stereotype thing must stop once and for all. Calabar people are mainly the Efiks and the Quas. Akwa-Ibomites are Ibibios, Annangs, Orons and Ekets. The term AkwaCross is much better to use as general name for them than "Calabar people".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by tpiar: 1:36am On Dec 09, 2015
Mary Slessor traversed all those areas, I think the bulk of her work was actually in Akwa Ibom, the region was known as Calabar.

1 Like

Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by fratermathy(m): 8:44am On Dec 09, 2015
tpiar:
Mary Slessor traversed all those areas, I think the bulk of her work was actually in Akwa Ibom, the region was known as Calabar.

You are very correct sire. She was known for her work in current Akwa-Ibom and not Cross Rivers. The Akwa Ibom government is even developing a center for her in one of the local government areas where she left her foot prints.
Re: The Great Calabar Misconception by Viktor1983(m): 1:33am On Apr 26, 2016
Interesting Thread

(1) (Reply)

Knocking Of Door For Traditional Marriage / Heard About Crocodile Scar? Don't Dare Look If You Are Scared Of BLOOD / Southern African Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.