Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up (838 Views)

Emenike, Nsofor, Ameobi Return For Super-Eagles / Fifa Clears Shola Ameobi, Moses To Play For Nigeria! / Suddenly : Shola Ameobi Want To Play For Nigeria ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by zalight(m): 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20837882

Shola Ameobi 'not going' to Africa Cup of Nations

Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi will not be going to the Africa Cup of Nations with Nigeria, according to his manager Alan Pardew.
The former England under-21 international had been named by coach Stephen Keshi in his provisional squad.
But Pardew has ruled out the 31-year-old's appearance at the tournament, which kicks off on 19 January.
He said: "Shola won't be going. The national team manager knows the reasons, which I am keeping to myself."
Ameobi was born in Zaria, northern Nigeria, before moving to England with his parents at the age of five.
Under Fifa rules, players who have represented one country at junior level can play for another at senior level if they meet the qualifying criteria.
Ameobi was first called-up by the Super Eagles 10 years ago but turned down the invitation on the grounds that his heart was set on playing for England.
He was cleared by Fifa to play for the country of his birth last month together with Chelsea winger Victor Moses.
He made his debut in a 3-1 friendly win over Venezuela last month, setting up the third goal in Miami, Florida.
Nigeria will take on African champions Zambia, Ethiopia and Burkina Faso in Group C.
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by zalight(m): 5:03pm On Dec 24, 2012
zalight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20837882

Shola Ameobi 'not going' to Africa Cup of Nations

Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi will not be going to the Africa Cup of Nations with Nigeria, according to his manager Alan Pardew.
The former England under-21 international had been named by coach Stephen Keshi in his provisional squad.
But Pardew has ruled out the 31-year-old's appearance at the tournament, which kicks off on 19 January.
He said: "Shola won't be going. The national team manager knows the reasons, which I am keeping to myself."
Ameobi was born in Zaria, northern Nigeria, before moving to England with his parents at the age of five.
Under Fifa rules, players who have represented one country at junior level can play for another at senior level if they meet the qualifying criteria.
Ameobi was first called-up by the Super Eagles 10 years ago but turned down the invitation on the grounds that his heart was set on playing for England.
He was cleared by Fifa to play for the country of his birth last month together with Chelsea winger Victor Moses.
He made his debut in a 3-1 friendly win over Venezuela last month, setting up the third goal in Miami, Florida.
Nigeria will take on African champions Zambia, Ethiopia and Burkina Faso in Group C.

I can bet you that pounds has exchange hands between newcastle united and steven Keshi....and i can assure you also that Shola is not injured....I am positive Osaze's claim will be prove right sooner than later...Keshi is fishy
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by Chanchit: 5:17pm On Dec 24, 2012
Thank God. Oya call Obafemi, I thank God once again say Osaze don use hin mouth/tweet koba hin sef.
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by Akshow: 5:57pm On Dec 24, 2012
i jus hope keshi's exclusion of Osaze and Martins wont back fire
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by sambos994(m): 6:12pm On Dec 24, 2012
Bring in Martins.
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by burningspear(m): 9:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
Whether Ameobi honours the call up or not, makes the final cut or not, there is 60% upward likelihood Martins would be called up finally. Remember Emenike is not only over weight now but also is in his worst form ever.
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 24, 2012
Why is Pardew keeping the reason(s) a secret?

1 Like

Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by manuch(m): 12:16am On Dec 25, 2012
[b][/b]Shola after winning his first cap. This nation cup would have been his opportunity to establish himself on the inernational stage.

Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi has spoken out about his pride at becoming a part of the Nigeria squad and has revealed his ambition of becoming an “international hero” for the country of his birth.

The 31-year-old has been selected for Wednesday’s friendly against Venezuela in Miami, and Ameobi was keen to stress how much the country means to him and his family, having previously been called up in 2011, but withdrawing due to injury.

"I want to do the best that I can," Ameobi told reporters. "I don't just want to be a local hero; I want to be an international one. That's what has driven the decision.

"I'm really excited. Nigeria is where I'm from, that's my heritage and I've never forgotten my roots. The majority of my family are from Nigeria and they're really excited about this. My parents are really, really happy but they would have supported me either way. It's a case of better late than never.

"This is the first opportunity that has arisen to do something that I've always felt passionately about and I've always wanted to do.

"It's a great honour and I don't take it lightly. It's something that I've wanted to do and I'm really, really happy that I've got the opportunity to do it now."

The striker revealed the concern expressed by his club manager, Alan Pardew, about his decision to undergo so much potential travelling, although Pardew’s prevailing message was one of congratulations.

"I think with my age and the travelling, Alan Pardew has said he's worried," continued Ameobi. "You don't get back until later, you don't get much time to recover but it's something that we will look at and make sure I'm not doing a disservice to the club.

"But he's delighted for me, as you'd expect because he wants a squad full of internationals here.

"He's happy for me. Newcastle United will always be number one for me, that is the bread and butter so that is something we'll look at." for me. Newcastle United will always be number one for me, that is the bread and butter so that is something we'll look at."
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by zalight(m): 12:34am On Dec 25, 2012
CFCfan: Why is Pardew keeping the reason(s) a secret?
Exactly my thot bro, and the only thing i could cum up with is that he has fulfilled his part of the deal,he has paid money it is now left for keshi to give us the normal excuse and the reason he accepts it. normally under fiffa rules keshi has the right to summon shola to the camp even if he is injured.I can asure u that shola will play matches for newcastle during the afcn and Keshi will not complain nor sanction Shola cos he has recieved substantial pounds from newcastle.We should encourage Osaze to open up more ,there is more to the saga than meets the eyes
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by ayusco: 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
Funny stories u people are just posting. Anyways me thinks Newcastle and milwall(shittu matter) are playing with fire cos based on what I read in the FIFA articles both players if not released for the AFCON would be unavailable for the club during the period of the competition plus 5 days. Even more ominous for the clubs they could also forfeit results for matches played during that period.

Na FIFA talk am not me below is the link check article 31

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/27/64/30/regulationsstatusandtransfer2010_e.pdf
Re: Shola Ameobi According To Newcastle Manager,will Not Honor The AFC Call Up by zalight(m): 10:18pm On Dec 25, 2012
ayusco: Funny stories u people are just posting. Anyways me thinks Newcastle and milwall(shittu matter) are playing with fire cos based on what I read in the FIFA articles both players if not released for the AFCON would be unavailable for the club during the period of the competition plus 5 days. Even more ominous for the clubs they could also forfeit results for matches played during that period.

Na FIFA talk am not me below is the link check article 31

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/27/64/30/regulationsstatusandtransfer2010_e.pdf
....the fiffa rule can only work against newcastle if the nigeria football associaton or the manager complains to fiffa that newcastle refuses to release Shola but in this case keshi nor the nfa will not complain to fiffa cos pounds has exchange hands

(1) (Reply)

Drogba In Galatasaray - T.b. Joshua / What Osaze Must Do To Return To Eagles —keshi / Under 17 Players To Pay For Their Expenses In Calabar Camp As Well As For Mri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.