Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There (35391 Views)

New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by mantleguy(m): 10:47am On Sep 02, 2016
Audu123:
Hello

I am a Nigerian in New Zealand. There is a small but growing community of Nigerians in NZ, mostly Yoruba and Igbo. The New Zealand economy is alight, not the best but certainly better than Europe. A lot of people use NZ to get citizenship and then move to Australia which has a booming economy now thanks to the mining industry.

New Zealand has a very relaxed lifestyle, Auckland the largest city is very multicultural with a large populations from Asia, Europe, pacific islands and some from Africa and south America. The only problem with NZ is that the place far no be small, you go chop plane tire on your way.

Foreign students are allowed to work 20 hours a week while studying and they can work any hours over the summer holiday (Nov - Feb). Racism is next to zero here, it happens but it's not institutionalised, its more from individual people who cant tolerate others. I myself have not experienced any racism for the 8 years I have been here.

If you want to know more do ask.
Hello bro..
I will like to appreciate your comment and I think it is quite apt and comprehensive.

However,
I want to respectfully disagree with the boldened comment of yours.
New Zealand is a country, Europe is a continent of many sovereign nations. While I agree that Switzerland might be in a better economic standing than some European countries like Portugal, Greece, Spain and perhaps Italy. There are a handful of European(Especially the ones in central and Northern Europe and Scandinavia) countries that has far stronger economy, far higher income levels, far better standard of living than New Zealand.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 29, 2016
Adeseunbam:
Pls Forumite, i am a graduate of agricuagricultural economics with second class upper, I also hold a masters degree in Agric economics. I applied to Massey University to study Agri-commerce, I have a C.G.P.A of 3.51 of 5.0...... which is about 70.1% ..... I was surprised when they reply me that I didnt make 60%. Then they adviced me to apply for Masters in Economics, Finance etc, they I was informed again that my last two sessions GPA was arround 51.17%. Of course I was surprised to see this as my last two years as an Undergraduate were very significant I.e my 400l was 3.69 of 5.0 while my 500level was 4.42 of 5.0. Pls I need to understand how they are calculating my Grade point and to know what options I have
This is very odd and seems strange if not dubious. What exactly did they mean that a four-pointer isnt up to 70%? This tells you something a bit. They are not very honest.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by StringAngel(m): 1:23pm On Dec 02, 2016
hankMacoy:

This is very odd and seems strange if not dubious. What exactly did they mean that a four-pointer isnt up to 70%? This tells you something a bit. They are not very honest.

Baba, me too o. I applied for their PhD with a master degree(distinction o. Almos 4.7/5.0). Then massey university told me i dont have enough CGPA in my postgraduate study. I wonder if they are looking for 5.0/5.0.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by bikerboy1(m): 2:43pm On Dec 04, 2016
StringAngel:

Baba, me too o. I applied for their PhD with a master degree(distinction o. Almos 4.7/5.0). Then massey university told me i dont have enough CGPA in my postgraduate study. I wonder if they are looking for 5.0/5.0.

Believe me, that Massey of a school is very funny, the way they treat our certificate as if you picked it up from one dunghill. Try Waikato or Lincoln, I am sure either of them would pick you. It also depends, if they offer the course you want to study.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by StringAngel(m): 12:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
bikerboy1:

Believe me, that Massey of a school is very funny, the way they treat our certificate as if you picked it up from one dunghill. Try Waikato or Lincoln, I am sure either of them would pick you. It also depends, if they offer the course you want to study.

Ok. Thanks
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by okoro390(m): 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2017
Audu123:
Hello

I am a Nigerian in New Zealand. There is a small but growing community of Nigerians in NZ, mostly Yoruba and Igbo. The New Zealand economy is alight, not the best but certainly better than Europe. A lot of people use NZ to get citizenship and then move to Australia which has a booming economy now thanks to the mining industry.

New Zealand has a very relaxed lifestyle, Auckland the largest city is very multicultural with a large populations from Asia, Europe, pacific islands and some from Africa and south America. The only problem with NZ is that the place far no be small, you go chop plane tire on your way.

Foreign students are allowed to work 20 hours a week while studying and they can work any hours over the summer holiday (Nov - Feb). Racism is next to zero here, it happens but it's not institutionalised, its more from individual people who cant tolerate others. I myself have not experienced any racism for the 8 years I have been here.

please how much is their visa, flight ticket, and am a truck driver too.
i went to school o, i studied building construction but i dont think i will be employ that y am going with my primary work
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by hugochuks60(m): 2:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
hello guys, pls m also interested in studying in NZ, for my masters. pls I will like to know how it goes especially their scholarship schemes, study n work n work after study plus getting a resident permit
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by hugochuks60(m): 2:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
hello guys, pls m also interested in studying in NZ, for my masters. pls I will like to know how it goes especially their scholarship schemes, study n work n work after study plus getting a resident permit n how much the flight ticket costs
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by cutieme(m): 10:39pm On Sep 22, 2017
Audu123:
Hello

Hi,are u still there in NZ?Pls what's the best link of coming there?
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by hoodmenconcept(m): 12:31am On Oct 18, 2017
Hello, my fellow brother,

I am in need of an advice from my brothers in NZ and I think you will be in the best position to give the real information down there. Let me start like this. I hold a B.Sc Degree (Hons) in Statistics in Nigeria and currently doing my Masters degree in Financial Economics in South Africa right now and I will be through with my degree in July 2018.
So, I am planning to relocate to NZ immediately after my Masters and I have read a lot about NZ but I am still not getting the information needed. Please, kindly find my bothering questions below.

1. I want to know how difficult or easy it is to get a job with a foreign certificate in NZ especially with South Africa degree. NB: I read on NZ Qualification Website that, South Africa Degree is more recognizable and its equivalent to NZ Qualification.

2. Generally, Is there jobs in NZ? And what is the probability of me getting a job in my field?

2. Cost of living

3. Racism and kiwi lifestyle.

Some people are saying, its easy to get a job, while some saying its difficult, so I want to consult lengthy before I make this decision, so I won't be in mess and NZ is quite far from Home. Your details reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by thebest1210(m): 1:16pm On Oct 19, 2017
Hello all,
Please I need your opinions on this. I applied for a student visa. I have been contacted by my case officer. Was asked to send my phone number, so that we can discuss my visa application. She was supposed to call me yesterday, but I didn't see her call. Please, who has ever experienced this? What kind of discussion will it be? What kind of question(s) Will I be asked? I'm really anxious and nervous.
Funny enough, I've "glued" my phone to myself, ever since I got the mail.
Thanks for your opinions.
Re: Nigeria Students In New Zealand. How Is It To Study And Survive There by Obumnemeuzua(m): 6:34pm On May 05, 2018
How much it will cost to study depends on tour course and school but keep nothing less than 15 000 dollars.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Knows The Owner Of This Passport? (Photo) / Overspeeding Causes Ghastly Accident In Ibadan, Oyo State. Photos / Ifeanyichukwu Luxurious Buses Burnt In Anambra Tanker Fire (Photos, Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.