Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,354 members, 7,780,946 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:11 AM

What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? (4176 Views)

7 Awesome Reasons To Start Your Blog This Year / How To Make Money From Your Blog Or Website Without Advertisments / Why You Should Not Use Google Adsense On Your Blog. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Seun(m): 8:11am On Aug 09, 2005
A weblog (usually shortened to blog, but occasionally spelled web log) is a web-based publication consisting primarily of periodic articles (normally in reverse chronological order). Says the Wikipedia.

Examples of regularly updated weblogs owned by Nairaland members:
- Grandiose Parlor by Imnakoya
- Kazey Journal by Kazey.
- Phonerism by diakim.
- AntiNormal by shockreaction.

The compound question I want to throw to the bloggers in the house is this:
- What motivated you to start your blog?
- And what's your primary reason forcontinually updating your blog?

Your response might just motivate others to start their own blogs or update them more frequently!

1 Like

Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by tcherokee(m): 8:48am On Aug 09, 2005
Hmm just started wrinting in my blog. Use microsoft wallop by the way. didn't really like yahoo 360. One day i just got depressed and went to my blog at wallop and just started writing. When i was through i felt a lot better. that's how i got into blogging. Unfortunately i still not a very regular blogger.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Imnakoya(m): 6:38pm On Aug 09, 2005
Grandiose Parlor is a repository for my mental meandering on issues relating to governance, entrepreneurship, sustainable development, and oddities...with special interest in Africa, and Nigeria in particular. That is what GP is about.

I ventured into blogging because I do a lot of pseudo-analyses on Nigeria with my colleagues, usually these are conversations over the phone and sometime in person when we meet somewhere. I felt that I should create a chronological achieves for these "arm-chair criticism" and ideas...so that is how I started. Funny though, many of my friends/colleagues do not know I blog...I like it that way, I get a lot of objective input that way.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Fox(m): 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2005
I am not a very open person and end up keeping a lot of things to myself so ever since I was little I always had a diary in which I wrote down everything that was going on in my head. Over time I realized that each time I read the diary I felt like I was talking to someone else about my problems and felt the weight of whatever I was going through leave my shoulders. Since I spend at least 16 hours a day on my computer blogging came natural to me as a way to let things out.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by exago(m): 9:15pm On Aug 10, 2005
Really Weblogging has not yet caught on amongst most Nigerians, most just prefer to "Yahoo" and all, but I went into it because I enjoy CCM, more like Chritian Comtemporary Music which happnens to be my genre of choice, Rock to be precise.......you could get in touch for stuff like that.

www.rockable..com
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by exago(m): 9:22pm On Aug 10, 2005
Really Weblogging has not yet caught on amongst most Nigerians, most just prefer to "Yahoo" and all, but I went into it because I enjoy CCM, more like Chritian Comtemporary Music which happnens to be my genre of choice, Rock to be precise.......you could get in touch for stuff like that. [ThirdDay's Below]

www.rockable..com

Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by kazey(m): 9:39pm On Aug 10, 2005
Well that has been my prayers for a while now. We need more Nigerians to start blogging. But one thing we have to know about blogging is, it has to come from within you, a sort of passion and thats why I started a blog at the first place.

I blog for fun, when I am bored. But it seems recently that part of me is dying. I am beginning to blog for adsense. grin

To all Nigerians out there, you are welcome to join the bloggers wagon, besides the prize that awaits you. Fame and popularity, if you love it. You can get featured in BBC, if you have the touch cheesy.

It doesn't cost a penny, just your cafe time. There are quite some free services that allow you to blog in an easy to use, friendly environment. Example are blogsome , bloggers etc. All that it takes is just a sign up. And the skill you need is the ability to write just a simple sentence and you are good to go.

I am personally not that good, but I guess I am trying my best to see that I improve in that aspect. My Personal Rantings are located at http://www.kayodemuyibi.com . Feel Free to visit, and if possible, comment too smiley.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Imnakoya(m): 1:52am On Aug 11, 2005
kazey: You Who says you can't blog for adsense? grin Sure you jolly well can!
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Seun(m): 2:18am On Aug 11, 2005
I started out blogging for adsense, but to succeed as a professional blogger it has to be your primary pre-occupation. You have to be able to project an interesting, likeable personality and write about popular topics, or else you'll need to pick a topic where you're the expert. (That's why I moved to forums; so people can discuss issues they love but I have absolutely no interest in - like Sports)!

Back to the topic: Bloggers in the house, what motivated you to start your blog?
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by diakim(m): 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2005
I am a phone freak. I just love those little gadgets, not because of the ability to make and receive calls, but because of other computing functions a cellphone can perform. Maybe this came naturally because I am an IT proffessional.

I spent 80% of my online time browsing phone related issues like visiting phone-related forums, reading other people's reviews on phones, checking manufacturers' websites for their phone specifications, and watching out for the latest gadgets by the top phone manufacturers.

Inside my room, you will find many spiral-binded articles, reviews, specifications, troubleshooting, etc on phones that I downloaded lying on my bed, wardrobe, shelf, stools, floor and everywhere.

Naturally, I love writing. So, it didn't take me too long before I decided to start blogging so that I can document and share my phone experience. This is the reason why I started writing Phonerism (previously called diakim's diary) which you can check out at http://diakim2..com

Because of this knowledge, my company normally give me the assignments of purchasing cellphones for her employees. Once I know the budget, and what features the person expected in the handset, and the preferred manufacturer, I will know which phone is best suited for the individual.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by jummy79(f): 4:44am On Aug 12, 2005
I'm an attention [word deleted]. I like posting my problems, hopes, fears and dreams and 'hearing' (reading) what people think about it (or them).
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by sholao(m): 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2005
My blog The MB challenge was created to chart my progress as go about what I call 'One man's challenge of a lifetime'.

In Jan 2005 I decided that I would like to fly a hang glider across the UK from the most southern point to the most northern point, meeting the locals along the way. The only problem being I've never flown a hang glider in my life!

I have since then started another blog just to rant about home technology (it is infectious isn't it).

I hope I'm not disqualified from the forum because I'm not based in Nigeria.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Imnakoya(m): 3:53am On Aug 16, 2005
@ sholao

Man, you must have a nerve of steel- flying a hang glider across the UK...It sounds interesting though. I will keep an eye on your progress and I hope you get the "First Nigerian Glider Across UK" Guinness World Record!
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by sholao(m): 10:28am On Aug 16, 2005
If I do succeed (which is what i'm hoping for), then it will be the first time anyone has flown a hang glider over that distance.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by okafor(m): 6:44pm On Oct 16, 2005
I have not started yet.

I see blogs as a job for those that are paid to do it or those that have less to worry about in life- financially.

But it has its hugh benefits, which I will pay someone soon to do for The African Store.

Okafor David
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by ijebuman(m): 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2005
new to the site smiley

I've had a blog since 2002 and the motivation for having one is because i've always kept some sort of diary/journal while growing up. So a blog just seems like a natural progression

http://naijaman.cfmxdeveloper.co.uk/diary/ijebuman.html
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by dejiolowe: 11:39pm On Feb 05, 2006
i v had my site since 2001. my latest iteration was forced on me by mrs deji-olowe
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Seun(m): 12:15am On Feb 06, 2006
Offtopic: what a lovely Mrs! wink
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Oracle(m): 12:15pm On Jul 13, 2007
I've always loved writing poetry but i write them in books or papers which i may misplace.
A friend of mine who has a blog adviced me to open one and post my poems.
I considered it and opened a blog.
Thatz how i started blogging.
Although i don't update very much, i try as much as i can to update
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by ladynoni(f): 1:16am On Oct 29, 2007
My husband. Aderemi Ojikutu, He inspired, tutored and mentored me to blog.

He used u (Seun Osewa, he called you a youth prodigy), as a case study to inspire me to go for it!

I have passion for soap operas which graduated into telenovelas. he triggered me to blog and share the soaps, so I started, and it was fun until money began to roll in. Then I quickly learn optimization and properly monetized my blogs. Today I have about 8 blogs and I make a little over a thousand dollars monthly from my blogging activities.

like he taught me, PPP= [b][size=14pt]P[/size][/b]assion [b][size=14pt]P[/size][/b]receeds [b][size=14pt]P[/size][/b]ayment in blogging. My passion for writing is the fuel that drives the engine of my blogging activities.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by onydchic(f): 10:10am On Oct 29, 2007
I've always like writing, and sinc i was in SS1, i kept a diary cos I'm actually quite a secretive person, and felt better writing stuff down than talking. In uni, i moved to typing a diary via Word. I started my blog proper last year with the original intention of finance, but found i cared more about sharing a fun weekend or sad story than about who clicked what where!

1 Like

Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by niyyie(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2007
Hmn. Adsense + my personal drive to share useful information with others.
By the way, my personal blog is at www.davidajao.com/blog/
I run a few others.
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by anijawife: 1:36pm On Oct 30, 2007
I was somehow losing it and bottling all kind of issues in my mind as iam the type that hate argument and confrontation but rather keep silent and nurse my wound or hurt but just chance on blogging world through this forum and i just decided to pour all my worries on my blog and relate other women issues to it.Iam not about women liberation but just can not understand all the injustice on women and how our culture is not helping matter.I very much belief in my bible and accept that men are the head and we are helpers but not doormat!

//anijawife..com
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Gamine(f): 2:40pm On Dec 12, 2007
Woww

I have wanted to open my blog since like 2000 bc

but I finally got to it this Feb

and really started blogging in november

[list]
[li]I was motivated by the fact that I love writing
and I love reading

Other bloggers just motivated me

Also a need for people to have an insight into the person i am
[/li]
[/list]
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by odiaseo(m): 8:48am On Dec 23, 2007
My motivation was to add value to the lives of people to help them maximise their potentials in marriages, relationships and finances. It also serves as a forum share my views on issues from a Christian perspective and provide answers to questions often asked by people but shy to share in the public domain.

Find out more here
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by webguru(m): 5:48pm On Dec 27, 2007
i started mine cos i had gotten so much biz info over the years and
felt the need to share them
adsense played a part too

i think google has helped the net a lot wt adsense

my blog www.infodbase..com
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by LiquidMind(m): 10:19pm On Apr 07, 2009
Hello Everyone,

You Are Invited To Join Our Social Network And Express Your Self.
Also, You Can Post All Ur Classified Ads, Blogs, Videos, Pic, Files, As You Want

To join Follow The Link Below:

http://www.social-spots.com/signup.php

Thanks
The Social Team
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by SamMilla1(m): 10:32pm On Apr 09, 2009
I hate Blogs. Its a good thing to do anyway.
I like making friends more and meeting new people, so i joined nairaland.
Unforunatley i get carried away sometimes and say or do things against the nairaland.
But then i hate opening my computer to laugh with friends only to find out that i cant login.

Frustration led to opening my own forum. Just for the fun though but it seems to be heading North at the moment.

http://www..com
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 09, 2009
I was bored grin
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by Redman44(m): 11:59pm On Apr 09, 2009
I started blogging because I love expressing myself creatively. I have a passion for the written word and for Nigerian children. Blogging allows me to communicate my feelings to the world at large. I started my blog early last year and it is becoming popular gradually. However, I will be having a website in the near future. Blogging could also turn awry, especially if you're uploading images from the net. Check my blog out:

www.toluihidero..com

Redman
Re: What Motivated You To Start Your Blog? by topup: 1:02am On Apr 10, 2009
I always thought blogs were a place for people to glorify themselves, but I've read a few that are 'just as', no sugar coating, just insight into the person's life.

I started my blogging when people told me to stop posting essays on Nairaland, and that I muse too much - but I just love to muse.

I thought that I had something to offer, and was hoping one day someone would contact me and say something along the lines of; "I know how you feel." - because I've heard so many people say it to me, but they don't even know me or how I think, so how can they know how I feel??

My blog has no topic, no pattern, it's just me. The way I think deep down inside, but I've been having problems with over-editting my thoughts to suit the reader. Surely when I'm feeling things, I'm not thinking in common sense, grammatical accuracy??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Read How Much Money Do Bloggers Make? / Best Unlimited Web Hosting With Real 100% Uptime + FREE SSL Certificate for Life / How Much Will You Design Nairaland (without Using Smf And With Modifications)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.