Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,281 members, 7,780,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:25 PM

Is Lust Sinful? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Lust Sinful? (1444 Views)

Is Kissing And Hugging Sinful In Christian Courtship? / Over Coming Fornication Is Not By Prayers Alone, Its Not The Sin The Sin Is Lust / Is Lust Wrong Even In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 4:44pm On Feb 20, 2008
Is it sinful to look at a woman (or man) and lust after her (or him)? If so, how is one to choose ones partner, if one is prohibited to lust after the potential partner one fancies?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by skyone(m): 5:09pm On Feb 20, 2008
yes it is
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 5:11pm On Feb 20, 2008
skyone:

yes it is

thnkx. How about the 2nd part of the question? Can you give that a go?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by skyone(m): 5:16pm On Feb 20, 2008
You based your arguement on Adultery not for the singles. To commit an adultery you have to be married first.
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 5:18pm On Feb 20, 2008
skyone:

You based your arguement on Adultery not for the singles. To commit an adultery you have to be married first.

Many thankx, I agree. Wrongly worded title. I will amend. Thankx
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 5:22pm On Feb 20, 2008
skyone:

Have made the change. In what context is lust sinful then?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by skyone(m): 5:29pm On Feb 20, 2008
Adultery
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2008
skyone:

Adultery

Are you saying that if a single man (woman) looks at a woman (man) and lust after her (him), that is adultery?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Gamine(f): 5:45pm On Feb 20, 2008
Oh my days

Therationa what does it say in your religion?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 5:47pm On Feb 20, 2008
Gamine:

Oh my days

Therationa what does it say in your religion?

In my world-view, there is no notion of sin.
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Gamine(f): 5:58pm On Feb 20, 2008
Ok whats the notion then?

Man can do whatever He wants?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2008
@therationa

An untamed lust can lead to a great many disorders: rape, pedophilia, adultery etc etc. Do you now see why we are to subject sexual desires to 'right reason'
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 6:07pm On Feb 20, 2008
imhotep:

@therationa

An untamed lust can lead to a great many disorders: rape, pedophilia, adultery etc etc. Do you now see why we are to subject sexual desires to 'right reason'

100% agreement with the above, absolutely. But no reason to have a blanket ban on "good" unhurtful lust. As a single man, can I lust after a woman with the view to marrying her?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 20, 2008
therationa:

100% agreement with the above, absolutely. But no reason to have a blanket ban on "good" unhurtful lust. As a single man, can I lust after a woman with the view to marrying her?

Notice that relationships based on lust alone do not stand the test of time. Your choice of a marriage partner should be based on things more lasting than lust. Do u feel me?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 6:15pm On Feb 20, 2008
imhotep:

Notice that relationships based on lust alone do not stand the test of time. Your choice of a marriage partner should be based on things more lasting than lust. Do u feel me?

100% again with this one.

In my view, lust is one of the things that draws you to your potential partner. Thereafter, you are both to assess each other for suitability and compatibility. Don't u agree?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 20, 2008
therationa:

In my view, lust is one of the things that draws you to your potential partner. Thereafter, you are both to assess each other for suitability and compatibility. Don't u agree?

Lust tends to reduce the person you are lusting after to just an object of pleasure. It blinds one the true humanity of the other person.

I am not an expert on marriage counseling, but I would suggest NOT to put lust in the first place while choosing a partner. There is much more to a man/woman than just sex.
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 6:29pm On Feb 20, 2008
imhotep:

Lust tends to reduce the person you are lusting after to just an object of pleasure. It blinds one the true humanity of the other person.

I am not an expert on marriage counseling, but I would suggest NOT to put lust in the first place while choosing a partner. There is much more to a man/woman than just sex.

Agree again. What I am saying is that there is such a thing as physical attraction towards people, express sometimes as lust. Now is it wrong to feel physically attracted to someone else?

Do you, or have you ever felt physical attraction towards someone else?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 20, 2008
therationa:

Agree again. What I am saying is that there is such a thing as physical attraction towards people, express sometimes as lust. Now is it wrong to feel physically attracted to someone else?

Do you, or have you ever felt physical attraction towards someone else?

I would scarcely be human if I have never felt physical attraction towards someone else. The attraction in itself is neither right nor wrong . It is what we DO with the attraction that matters.

The general rule is: we should control this attraction, we should not let it control us. Otherwise terrible things begin to happen.

Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 6:40pm On Feb 20, 2008
imhotep:

I would scarcely be human if I have never felt physical attraction towards someone else. The attraction in itself is neither right nor wrong . It is what we DO with the attraction that matters.

The general rule is: we should control this attraction, we should not let it control us. Otherwise terrible things begin to happen.

Thank you. Physical attraction, would you not define this as some degree of lust. The managing or control of lust is another thing. Am just after clarifying whether while searching for ones partner, would it be sinful to feel physical attraction towards someone else.

Given that lust is a natural thing what is wrong with exercising it in the "right way"
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 20, 2008
therationa:

Thank you. Physical attraction, would you not define this as some degree of lust. The managing or control of lust is another thing. Am just after clarifying whether while searching for ones partner, would it be sinful to feel physical attraction towards someone else.

Given that lust is a natural thing what is wrong with exercising it in the "right way"

You mean in marriage?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 6:47pm On Feb 20, 2008
imhotep:

You mean in marriage?

I meant, should I exercise lustfulness towards someone with the view that we may one day get married?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 20, 2008
therationa:

I meant, should I exercise lustfulness towards someone with the view that we may one day get married?

Well, this matter is strictly between you, your conscience and God.

But if you are talking of pre-marital sex, it is wrong by Christian standards.
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by KOLA7: 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2008
Lust is different from attraction, when you are attracted to a person, it doesn't mean you should lust after that person. In choosing a spouse, attraction is necessary, but lust isn't.

Here are guidelines on how to select a spouse-for guys,

1. Attraction
2. Prayers-Go to God and ask if that's the person designed for you
3. Make a move: Once you find out that the person is your partner, then approach her
4. Introduce yourself, and express how you feel about her,
5. Her opinion of you-Find out if she feels the same about you,
6. Please tell her to pray about it too-once she ready
7. Start dating and please get to know her before marriage, don't rush to the altar, walk to the altar.

A broken relationship is better than a broken marriage, can two walk together except they agree, ?

Ladies if you want me to write some for you too, please let me know!!!
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by KOLA7: 9:53pm On Feb 21, 2008
Can you name one thing that could NOT be done by other institutions if we did not have churches? The churches are superfluous to requirements in The Age of Reason. All they are now are a thinly-disguised means of exploiting the simple and vulnerable.

Did a church ever exploit you or someone you know? If yes, How?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by therationa(m): 9:57pm On Feb 21, 2008
watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZegCz2uj3xI

Or look for my post about Benny Hinn and see if what this guys pebbles is not deceit?
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by macty: 10:46pm On Feb 21, 2008
angry GIRL U NEED TO READ UR BIBLE AL OVER AGAIN LUST IS DEFINITELY A SIN N MIND U, U DON'T FIND LIFE PARTNERS BY LUSTING AFTER THEM LOVE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FRM LUST WHEN A MAN LUSTS AFTA A WOMAN IT'S BY LOOKIN AT HER "PHYSICAL FEATURES" U UNDERSTAND, SAME GOES FOR LADIES SO I DON'T ADVICE U.IF U DON'T WANNA LISTEN THEN CHECK UR BIBLE 1PETER2:11 N ROMANS 13:14
Re: Is Lust Sinful? by dafidixone(m): 2:52pm On Feb 23, 2008
Is it sinful to look at a woman (or man) and lust after her (or him)? If so, how is one to choose ones partner, if one is prohibited to lust after the potential partner one fancies?

Go check the definition of Lust then come tell me grin

(1) (Reply)

Evang. Benny Hin Remarries Ex-wife, Yrs After Divorce(remarriage Photos). / Historical Jesus Never Existed / Memorial Service In Honor Of God's General - Apostle T.O Obadare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.