Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Nairaland And Use Of English. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland And Use Of English. (1046 Views)

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] / JAMB UTME Use Of English: The Novels / UTME Use Of English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland And Use Of English. by galaxi(m): 11:27pm On Dec 27, 2012
Have noticed that some english language want to be professors prefer to evaluate a poster's use of english language rather than contribute something reasonable on a post.
Although,i be omo naija but the few white(oyibo) i chat with via social sites(networks) abbreviates their words and often do not use exact english language spellings.
1.does it mean their standard of education is also poor?
2.are we more perfect in english more than them?
3.or we are pretenders?
I taught this kind of forum is ment for people to get information easily and interact with others.
I think Nairaland is a forum where a primary school certificate holder is a master degree holder in english language and a jambite is an english language professor.
Is not a most to comment on a topic.
I don't mind so don't waste your time evaluating my use of english language because am an environmentalist.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland And Use Of English. by godstino(m): 9:26am On Dec 28, 2012
since you are an environmentalist,pls move this thread to the environmental section if there is any,but if there is none,it would do you good to move it to the joke section cos in Education,we are in the process of learning and be it as it may that English is a borrowed language,we need continual good usage of it in order to be close to perfection..encouraging short-hand is total gibberish and should be used only in informal contexts like private chats and sections like jokes et patati et patata....so i don't think it's forming in the part of Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland And Use Of English. by kavey10(m): 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
Nice one godstino, I couldn't agree with you more!
@galaxi, the more you abbreviate, the higher the rate of deterioration in your writing proficiency. What's the use of abbreviating and the other party can't comprehend you? For sure you can abbreviate but make it sensible, and please in an informal setting only. Imagine someone typing 'dis', it just remains 1 letter to make 'this'. C'mon galaxi, your premises are faulty.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ASUU/FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock / Y Fagie Nasir ASUU Not Respoding To Calls On New Deal ,nigeria Tribune / Yabatech Part-time Form 2014/2015 Now Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.