Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage (14365 Views)

Nigerian Customs Recruitment 2015 / Nigerian Customs Recruitment 2011 List Of Shortlisted Candidates / Interview / Nigerian Customs Recruitment 2010/2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by haykay2005: 12:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
CUSTOMS RECRUITMENT - SCAMMERS ON RAMPAGE
Recently the Nigeria Customs Service announced that it has uncovered the activities of an illegal syndicate involved in the last recruitment exercise carried out by the service earlier this year. The discovery was made during a routine documentation exercise for newly recruited Officers conducted at the Customs Training College Ikeja. 44 officers were found to have found their way into the college through the back door. Further investigations into the saga however pointed to the direction of some insiders who provided soft ground for the illegal recruitment. 5 serving officers were rounded up for their active participation in the scam which involved extortion of various sums of money from prospective applicants and forgery of documents. The officers all serving at the Customs headquarters were subsequently handed over to the Economic and Financial Commission for further actions.

Rather than dampening the spirit of the scammers, the exposure of their collaborators within seems to have made them go all out in their illegalities. Recently, one of such groups went back to the drawing board to perfect yet another strategy to dupe desperate work seekers, using numerous opportunities provided by the internet. Despite the fact the Service had concluded its recruitment exercise and even concluded training for the first batch of junior officers, the scammers are still busy soliciting applications from job seekers.

To give good effect to their project, the scammers went hi-tech to host their own version of the Nigeria Customs Service on the internet. Using the URL address, www.nigeriacustomservice.net, a clever attempt was made to clone the official website of the service.

The websites of Government agencies are hosted on a dedicated dot gov dot ng domain. The correct website is therefore hosted on the URL www.customs.gov.ng. However, the scammers did a good job of imitation, practically cloning the home page with similar features of layout and colour mix. The official portrait of the Comptroller-general of customs, complete with the welcome message on the official site were copied and reproduced on the fake site.

The fundamental differences were in the sub- menu displayed on the home page. While the official site has 10 sub- menus, each with additional drop down menus, the fake site has only 6 sub menus without the drop down option.

The menus give a clear direction to their illegal objectives. They include Home, Recruitment List that contains no name, and Auction of Cars and containers, where photographs of exotic cars and laden containers purportedly up for Customs sales were display. Other sub menus are for names shortlisted, containing names suspected to be fake, application form and NCS contact.

The first batch of newly recruited officers, the junior officers already finished their basic training at the Customs Training College, Kano last month. They have been deployed to various commands and units of the service. The graduate cadets are about now winding up their basic training at the College in Lagos.

Since the recruitment exercise was concluded, The Service has been inundated with requests by numerous applicants seeking to clarify the authenticity of some information sourced online purporting to offer job placement in Customs. They complained that they were often lured into paying various sums of money to get application forms downloaded before the job offers.

In one of such instances, a man now on the run used the website address www. topix.net advertised job placement opportunities for desperate applicants. The scammer who also posed as recruitment officer for other agencies of Government advertised the phone number 07085691370. When Customsduty called the number, posing as an applicant, the male respondent calmly gave the assurance of placement if a certain amount of money was paid for the forms.

The service has intensified its campaign to alert members of the public on the activities of these fraudsters, warning that their tools have now been expanded to include the use of newspaper publications, facebook and other social media driven by the Internet. Members of the public are advised to beware of their antics and report anybody who solicits money to get recruited into customs or get allocation of auction.

Customs Headquarters

Abuja

https://www.customs.gov.ng/Publications/news_results.php?NewsID=165

1 Like

Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Obinoscopy(m): 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
Thanks haykay for this wonderful info. I myself was confused when I saw the website. I even had to send a mail to the official customs email to lay a complaint on the presence of some suspicious recruitment websites.

I even observed that they changed tactics, the .net has been changed to .org. Pls fellow NLers let's be careful and report all suspicious websites to the mods/admin to prevent people from being scammed.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by oparachukwukere(m): 3:14pm On Jan 19, 2013
thanks dear i applied though but its not like they can do anything to me i know Who i have.....thanks a lot?
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by dilbert100: 11:31am On Jan 22, 2013
nice thread
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by sexybash(f): 11:32am On Jan 22, 2013
dilbert100: nice thread
i pity for dose wey dey find unavailable goverment job about
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Engineer1985(m): 11:50am On Jan 22, 2013
Ok
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 22, 2013
ppl killing their selves to work at all cost in Nigerian custums, they want to steal to, they need huge sums as bribe too.
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by ukpaku: 11:57am On Jan 22, 2013
God pass them sha, tanx for the information
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 22, 2013
Law enforcement officers should question the name below. His name appears to be the administrator and registrant of the alleged fake website. Though he has been posting his name on things he wrote on the website, he may or may not be fraudulant, don't get me wrong.
http://www.nigeriacustomservice.net/

Okoro innocent (okoroinnocent54@yahoo.com) +234.08164039424 Fax: 24 ebeda Estate street,owerri municipal Owerri, imo 234 NG
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by dridowu: 11:58am On Jan 22, 2013
People should be vigilant wen applying to any vacancy
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by 1forall: 12:14pm On Jan 22, 2013
Job seekers just need to be more conscious that there's a lot of fraud going on around recruitment out there
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by justwise(m): 12:14pm On Jan 22, 2013
Google chrome blocks the fake website http://www.nigeriacustomservice.net/, if you clicked on any link in that website warning page will appear telling you that its a phishing website.
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Uziehot(m): 12:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
Wat abt dis site : www.customsrecruitment.org.ng? Is dis site genuine? Bcox i did apply via dis site.
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
LOL

AND THE WEBSITE IS UP AN RUNNING AHAHAHAH
PLEASE TELL ME THE DUTY OF THE MINISTRY FOR DEFENSE?

grin cheesy grin
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by justwise(m): 12:30pm On Jan 22, 2013
Uziehot: Wat abt dis site : www.customsrecruitment.org.ng? Is dis site genuine? Bcox i did apply via dis site.
https://www.customs.gov.ng/ is a genuine custom website
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by justwise(m): 12:34pm On Jan 22, 2013
Custom placed warning about these scam here https://www.customs.gov.ng/Publications/news_results.php?NewsID=165

https://www.customs.gov.ng/Publications/news_results.php?NewsID=160

The following individuals have been arrested already

1. ASC II Muktar Ismail Mustapha- Kano/Jigawa Area Command
2. ASC II Uche Umesiete - Systems Audit
3. ASC II Bala N. Y - Systems Audit
4. SIC Dogo Yakubu Soja - Establishment
5. AIC Suleiman, T. K - Establishment

They are Custom officers too
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 22, 2013
Are they recruiting presently?
Does anyone has the link to the recruiting page directly?
Thanks.
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by DANILSA(m): 12:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
ActiveMan: LOL

grin cheesy grin
TO BLOCK WEBSITE undecided undecided still thinking about what you wrote above

1 Like

Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by justwise(m): 12:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
Uziehot: Wat abt dis site : www.customsrecruitment.org.ng? Is dis site genuine? Bcox i did apply via dis site.

That website does not exist, when did you apply through that website?
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by RichDad1(m): 12:42pm On Jan 22, 2013
why is the fake website still online? Can't they pull it down? Atleast to safe unsuspected victims. Smh
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
DANILSA:
TO BLOCK WEBSITE undecided undecided still thinking about what you wrote above
Really i know someone like you will quote me, to stop you from thinking

the Custom is a federal government institution and should be well protected

to answer your question DO A SCAM UNITED STATE CUSTOMS SERVICE WEBSITE AND SEE IF IT WILL SURVIVE FOR 1HOUR.

IF SITUATION LIKE THIS OCCUR THEY NEED TO CONTACT THE HOSTING COMPANY HOSTING SUCH WEBSITE AND THE SITE WILL GOT NULL ROUTE INSTANTLY

NOT THIS

Reported Web Forgery!

This web page at www.nigeriacustomservice.net has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by tessyade: 12:58pm On Jan 22, 2013
By now every applicant should know that whoever ask them to pay(no matter how small the amount is) before they can get a job is a scammer. Follow this simple rule and you will never be a victim.

1 Like

Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by teskyg: 1:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
There will be more scams as long as they continue to recruit in secret.I can't remember seeing any recriutment advert on the pages of any local Newspaper and yet graduants are passing out of training scool.When was the job placement advertised?

1 Like

Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Fadelex(m): 1:35pm On Jan 22, 2013
ActiveMan: LOL

grin cheesy grin

You are right.... Nigeria Intelligence Agency maybe under presidency bt there is affiliation with ministry of defense... Scammers tried it wit Bank of America few years bck bt CIA discovered it in less than one hours... I think we are not mature for all these online stuffs... Ministry of defense is not about military alone, their work include protection of govt. Agencies frm being attacked by use of firewall and so on..,,
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by mrkels(m): 1:37pm On Jan 22, 2013
I wonder why some people are still gullible. Anyways let you people bring the site down. How hard can it be? Till now that scam site is still up and running, those webmasters who know how to do it what are you still waiting for? undecided
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
Fadelex:

You are right.... Nigeria Intelligence Agency maybe under presidency bt there is affiliation with ministry of defense... Scammers tried it wit Bank of America few years bck bt CIA discovered it in less than one hours... I think we are not mature for all these online stuffs... Ministry of defense is not about military alone, their work include protection of govt. Agencies frm being attacked by use of firewall and so on..,,

The ministry of defense thinks is all about sending troops to war front lol grin cheesy grin
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 22, 2013
mrkels: I wonder why some people are still gullible. Anyways let you people bring the site down. How hard can it be? Till now that scam site is still up and running, those webmasters who know how to do it what are you still waiting for? undecided

They have already send a report here

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/?tpl=mozilla

but they need to bring the site down completely now
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 22, 2013
Such scams will continue to exist as long as recruitment is done in secret.
The last genuine customs recruitment was conducted in 2009. Since then all recruitments into customs have been reserved for PDP big wigs and have been conducted secretly on man know man basis.
The Comptroller General of customs because of his certificate issues can not oppose or stand up to these political fat cats and that is why the employment interviews are conducted in secret and reserved for candidates of powerful politicians.
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by samuel900(m): 2:30pm On Jan 22, 2013
When did customs recruit those that just finished training? Is it the one they did last 2yrs?
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by Uziehot(m): 3:15pm On Jan 22, 2013
justwise:

That website does not exist, when did you apply through that website?
i did applied wit de site,it carries 2013 as d date on it. GOOGLE IT ANd Scrol until u c d year 2013 on it
Re: Customs Recruitment - Scammers On Rampage by justwise(m): 3:34pm On Jan 22, 2013
Uziehot: i did applied wit de site,it carries 2013 as d date on it. GOOGLE IT ANd Scrol until u c d year 2013 on it

The year it carries means nothing, its still fraudulent website. Its fake.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NIMC Apptitude Test Result 2013 / Phed Engineer Trainee 2021 Test / Ecobank Recruitment process.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.