Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,960 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:24 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (655529 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 9:24pm On Jun 03, 2020
DriggityDre:

First, you have to decipher what you actually want to do, and what language you want to learn.

This section hosts tons of guides on that. Check out this thread.
Read the 1st, 2nd and 3rd page.

cc: Dybala11
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Techlyte: 3:00pm On Jun 04, 2020
If you want to learn how to become a Python developer in 2020. Join a live discussion on YouTube by Andrei Neagole popular developer and trainer with tons of great tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_source=mailerlite&utm_campaign=live_today_python_developer_roadmap&v=d5BzuLlII_Y&feature=youtu.be&utm_medium=email&utm_term=2020-06-04&app=desktop
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dybala11(m): 4:59pm On Jun 04, 2020
DriggityDre:

Thanks a lot sir, I'll do that now.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sesan85(m): 6:07pm On Jun 04, 2020
DriggityDre:

Is it possible to learn more than one language? For instance, can I learn Java and Python simultaneously?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 11:45pm On Jun 04, 2020
Javanian:

I am well, bro. I actually do more Python than I like these days grin I am currently doing a Ph.D in AI (Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning) and all the good frameworks are in Python with a minority in Java so I don't have a choice cry.

You better change your name to Pythonian grin tongue
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 1:01am On Jun 05, 2020
sesan85:
Is it possible to learn more than one language? For instance, can I learn Java and Python simultaneously?
Nah, don't rush it.

You might get confused and start mixing it up.
It works for some people though, but it's not advisable.

Focus on one language, spend time to master it, and learn its syntaxes.
After much practice and you see that you are confident with it, you can start learning another language.

Trust me, when you start, you would see that they are quite a handful.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 1:04am On Jun 05, 2020
sesan85:
What aspect do you want to specialize in?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by StubbornGENIUS: 2:39am On Jun 05, 2020
DriggityDre:

How complex is cyber security?What's the estimated duration of learning the basics?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 2:41am On Jun 05, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
How complex is cyber security?
What's the estimated duration of learning the basics?
Oh, ummm.. I can't exactly say.
Just like any other course, it just depends on how quick you are to grasp the knowledge.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by StubbornGENIUS: 2:46am On Jun 05, 2020
DriggityDre:

Oh, ummm.. I can't exactly say.
Just like any other course, it just depends on how quick you are to grasp the knowledge.
How about the cost of training and certifications?any ideas?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 2:54am On Jun 05, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
How about the cost of training and certifications?any ideas?
It depends.
There are a lot of options ranging from $200 - $1000.
What certificate are you specifically talking about? Cybersecurity is a field.
Are you actually keen to learning it?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by StubbornGENIUS: 3:03am On Jun 05, 2020
DriggityDre:

It depends.
There are a lot of options ranging from $200 - $1000.
What certificate are you specifically talking about? Cybersecurity is a field.
Are you actually keen to learning it?
Am keen and very interested.Am planning to quit my current hustle by the end of the year so I want to start now to do the planning.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 3:07am On Jun 05, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Am keen and very interested.Am planning to quit my current hustle by the end of the year so I want to start now to do the planning.
Hmm..
Errrrr, for starters, you have to specialize in one first.
There are many aspects of Cybersecurity. It's a field.

So find out the one you wish to specialize in.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sesan85(m): 6:07am On Jun 05, 2020
DriggityDre:
Nah, don't rush it.

You might get confused and start mixing it up.
It works for some people though, but it's not advisable.

Focus on one language, spend time to master it, and learn its syntaxes.
After much practice and you see that you are confident with it, you can start learning another language.

Trust me, when you start, you would see that they are quite a handful.
Thanks so much for this bro, very much appreciated.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sesan85(m): 6:07am On Jun 05, 2020
DriggityDre:
Web application.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 1:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ajibel:

You better change your name to Pythonian grin tongue

cheesy

This guy. Long time. How far?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ajibel(m): 2:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Javanian:

cheesy

This guy. Long time. How far?

I dey oo bro.

Been a while. It's awesome to see what you're into now. I can only wish you the very best. smiley

And thanks for the inspiration for the name Pythonian which I coined from yours grin

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 05, 2020
DriggityDre.
I have learned python up to Object oriented, and also Python Flask, HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

So I want to host/deploy a simple website. How can I do that with hosting services in Nigeria?

If in anyway, you can use whogohost as explanation.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
AngryHulk616:
DriggityDre.
I have learned python up to Object oriented, and also Python Flask, HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

So I want to host/deploy a simple website. How can I do that with hosting services in Nigeria?

And please someone should also explain the essence of the many other charges
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by HappyPagan: 8:46am On Jun 06, 2020
Javanian:

I am well, bro. I actually do more Python than I like these days grin I am currently doing a Ph.D in AI (Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning) and all the good frameworks are in Python with a minority in Java so I don't have a choice cry.

Congrats, Man. I too left Java and its headaches behind. I work as a Tech Support engineer now though. Programming is what I do when I'm home - Hoping to complete a Data Science course soon.

Remember me when you get to heaven. grin

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by SaneMan: 9:04am On Jun 06, 2020
Hi
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by iAmTheJoker: 3:32pm On Jun 06, 2020
Start with the language that best soothes your need, like if you would like to do game development, you can start with c#, if you're dealing with alot Data analysis i think python might be the best, if you'd want to know how the computer really works, i think c++ might help with that.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 06, 2020
iAmTheJoker:
Start with the language that best soothes your need, like if you would like to do game development, you can start with c#, if you're dealing with alot Data analysis i think python might be the best, if you'd want to know how the computer really works, i think c++ might help with that.
What of Mobile App development? Which language is best?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by iAmTheJoker: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2020
Aniekpeno11:

What of Mobile App development? Which language is best?

I think kotlin or java (not JavaScript) will be best suited for native apps or you can learn react native for hybrid apps... You can google the differences
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ferrocene: 3:31am On Jun 07, 2020
Weldone I have a question I am currently studying a BSc course not related to programming but after school I am considering learning python. My question is that what type of certification do I need to get a job and I check some companies online requiring minimum of HND does that mean I have to go back to school and earn a BSc in related fields. Thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 08, 2020
DriggityDre:
Hmm..
Errrrr, for starters, you have to specialize in one first.
There are many aspects of Cybersecurity. It's a field.

So find out the one you wish to specialize in.

/* Hello World program */

#include<stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
printf("Hello World"wink;}
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 10:29am On Jun 08, 2020
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 11:17am On Jun 08, 2020
AngryHulk616:
Hehe.
If you were around, I would've asked you to drop a sample.
Not possible in such a short period of time na.

I see this as the question.
Lol, there's no way you learnt all those languages overnight.

Anyway, for starters, HTML and CSS is enough to build a simple website.
Javascript and PHP are for additional functionality to the website.

For example, with PHP, you can operate databases, accept user-submitted forms and send emails.

Now, for your question.

After you are done with your code, save it with .html extension.
For example, file_name.html.

Buy a domain service from a domain provider, in this case, whogohost.

Choose any plan, since it's not a serious site you want to build, I suggest you can use the lowest plan.
(I'll still show you how you can host your website for free tho).

After having domain, you have to buy a hosting service by a hosting provider.

I believe whogohost provides both hosting services and domain naming, along with your subscription plan.

After having both the services, just log on to your web server, go to the domain panel and type the name server given by your hosting provider.

Go to hosting C-panel , reach FILE MANAGER and upload your coding into “public_html” .

OR

If you don't want to Use C-panel, you can use an FTP software (file transfer protocol). It helps to upload your html file to your server space.
Example, CyberDuck. This one is good for Windows.

FTP programs vary widely, but generally you have to log on to your web server using details provided by your hosting company (e.g. username, password, host name).

Then the program shows you your local files and the web server's files in two windows, so you can transfer them back and forth.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 11:50am On Jun 08, 2020
AngryHulk616:
You can host your website for free using GitHub repository on their website.
The catch is that it would be only accessible as a sub-domain.

If github.com is the main domain, your site could be accessible as domain_name.github.com

For example;
google.com (main domain)
mail.google.com (sub-domain)

The steps are lengthy.
You can learn about it here on Quora

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 11:56am On Jun 08, 2020
AngryHulk616:
You can also host your web for free, by using free hosting services.
Most of them also provide a free sub-domain name.

InfinityFree is one of the best free hosting services imo. You can go check it out.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DriggityDre: 1:13pm On Jun 08, 2020
Plead:

#include<stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
printf("Hello World"wink;}
Not bad. Lemme drop a few tips.

You could place a one-block space between the string/char and the closing bracket, so that NL won't change it to a wink emoji.

You could also use the [cõde][/cøde] tag to preserve your indentation, else NL won't acknowledge it.
Let me re-write it.

Like this;

#include < stdio.h >
int main() {
// printf() displays the string inside quotation
printf( "Hello, World!" );
return 0;
}

Also;

In many C++ IDE's and compilers, when it generates the main function for you, it looks like this:
int main(int argc, char *argv[])

When you code C++ without an IDE, just with a command line compiler, it displays this:
int main()

Basically, the first parameter (argc) is the number of arguments provided and the second parameter (argv) is a list of strings representing those arguments.

int main();

This is a simple declaration. It cannot take any command line arguments.

int main( int argc, char* argv[] );

This declaration is used when your program must take command-line arguments.

Alternatively, you could use:

int main( int argc, char** argv );

This is also valid. This is the one you used, but it's char** argv, not char **argv.

There is another parameter you can add:
int main ( int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[] )

The envp parameter also contains environment variables.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.