Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,831 members, 7,806,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (658734 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 11:35pm On May 16, 2022
Ayowoleminiyi:
Hello, good evening everyone!

i just started learning Python programming, I need someone interested in learning to signify if we can learn together and hold each other accountable, also any veteran python programmer who is interested in assisting me should kindly reply or please send a dm.

Mucha gracias.

Hello, I'm not a beginner and I'm also not a veteran but I would love to be of help wink
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayowoleminiyi(m): 8:37am On May 17, 2022
Fr4nk:

Hello, I'm not a beginner and I'm also not a veteran but I would love to be of help wink

Great, jumping to your dm cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by dubbs007: 3:42pm On May 17, 2022
To everyone trying to start one programming language or the other OR trying to get into tech.

I'd advise to start with JavaScript or Python as they're popularly used Object Oriented Programming Language, not only are they widely used but they help you learn other syntax faster.

You can also learn the basic HTML, CSS and PHP to create basic WordPress websites for freelancing. I added PHP because you could add more dynamic and interactive content to your sites, it makes your website stand out.
There are a lot roles for WordPress Developers and they're mostly remote. Check for CyberCoders online, they've great remote job offers but you need experience so get to work! You can do it!

I recommend Learnhall LLC for those trying to start programming or get into tech. They're about to launch in Africa but more focused on Nigeria for now. They're offering a lot of benefits and I currently know they'll be offering internships abroad to their best students. I got info from a friend working there that they've an investor meeting in June and once they get the funds, they'd start with a lot of scholarships and free courses.
I'm currently just signed up waiting for the launch.
https://forms.gle/6HpSYki6syDdAVBc9

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mircos: 3:20pm On May 19, 2022
This instant reaction is highly important as this can help organizations in defeating possible threats or any potential problems. By developing instant reactions several issues can be resolved instantly saving organizations resources and money https://mlsdev.com/blog/hire-a-development-team.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 12:45am On May 20, 2022
Fr4nk:

Boss please you'll see me too in your DM sir
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 12:52am On May 20, 2022
Wow cheesy wink wink Thanks chief. I've sign up. I would love to send you a mail sir to keep up with the update with you sir
dubbs007:
To everyone trying to start one programming language or the other OR trying to get into tech.

I'd advise to start with JavaScript or Python as they're popularly used Object Oriented Programming Language, not only are they widely used but they help you learn other syntax faster.

You can also learn the basic HTML, CSS and PHP to create basic WordPress websites for freelancing. I added PHP because you could add more dynamic and interactive content to your sites, it makes your website stand out.
There are a lot roles for WordPress Developers and they're mostly remote. Check for CyberCoders online, they've great remote job offers but you need experience so get to work! You can do it!

I recommend Learnhall LLC for those trying to start programming or get into tech. They're about to launch in Africa but more focused on Nigeria for now. They're offering a lot of benefits and I currently know they'll be offering internships abroad to their best students. I got info from a friend working there that they've an investor meeting in June and once they get the funds, they'd start with a lot of scholarships and free courses.
I'm currently just signed up waiting for the launch.
http crys://forms.gle/6HpSYki6syDdAVBc9
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Abokicryptonews: 7:19am On May 23, 2022
FaruqMadridCr7:
Wow cheesy wink wink Thanks chief. I've sign up. I would love to send you a mail sir to keep up with the update with you sir

In what ever you decide to learn, make sure you learn SOLIDITY. (Ethereum [smart contract/blockchain]) This is the future and where you will get abundant well paying remote job opportunities. You will thank me later for changing your life.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WebWriter: 11:33am On May 24, 2022
Please can someone give me the roadmap to be a blockchain/web3 developer? The languages one need to learn. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by WebWriter: 11:45am On May 24, 2022
Incase you don't know, Udacity and ALX partnered to offer free courses on web development, Javascript, python and cloud computing. Search it out on Google, you also get certificate. I'm almost through with the course.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by olusegunadex: 12:58am On May 27, 2022
Well, I’ll say… start with the easy ones first… then you can start moving up the ladder gently…

For a start, if I were to start again, I’d start with;

HTML & CSS - the very fundamentals

Then proceed to JavaScript.

A knowledge of HTML & JavaScript will make it easy to build really functional web development projects

Then afterwards, I’d dive into JavaScript libraries and frameworks…

If I still feel like exploring after JavaScript, I’ll go with Python or Ruby on Rails…

Based on experience, it’s an easy roadmap to follow.

This blog post might be helpful: https://devsntechies.com/is-coding-really-hard-to-learn-advice-for-beginners/?amp=1
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 2:19pm On May 27, 2022
Abokicryptonews:

In what ever you decide to learn, make sure you learn SOLIDITY. (Ethereum [smart contract/blockchain]) This is the future and where you will get abundant well paying remote job opportunities. You will thank me later for changing your life.
Wow. Thank you sir. I've sent you a mail sir pls reply. Thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 5:19pm On May 27, 2022
olusegunadex:
Well, I’ll say… start with the easy ones first… then you can start moving up the ladder gently…

For a start, if I were to start again, I’d start with;

HTML & CSS - the very fundamentals

Then proceed to JavaScript.

A knowledge of HTML & JavaScript will make it easy to build really functional web development projects

Then afterwards, I’d dive into JavaScript libraries and frameworks…

If I still feel like exploring after JavaScript, I’ll go with Python or Ruby on Rails…

Based on experience, it’s an easy roadmap to follow.

This blog post might be helpful: https://devsntechies.com/is-coding-really-hard-to-learn-advice-for-beginners/?amp=1

Is web development the only way to go for beginners? Why does it feel like other options aren't explored in more detail
Why hasn't anyone mentioned mathematics, programming is different from coding, it will take a long time from someone starting with HTML and CSS to get into real programming, I wonder why we aren't advising beginners to take up mathematics, it would really help out when they start learning advanced programming concept, afterall programming and everything computer science related is a subset of mathematics. Ever heard of the Turing Machine? or lambda calculus or Regular expressions?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 6:37pm On May 27, 2022
I know the thread is about programming languages but I feel beginners should be made aware of more options,
If you're a complete noob hoping to hop on the tech train you're welcome, but it would take a lot more than some random person's advice on a Nairaland forum to get you started. (Make sure you do your own research, preferably online too)

If you found this thread through a Google search, then congratulations, you probably have mastered a fundamental skill every programmer should have, and that's "Google Fu" (I borrowed the word),
No one knows everything, that's why the internet exists, if you ever face a problem with your code in the future then there is a high possibility that someone else on this planet must have faced the same problem and asked for a solution, you'll definitely find an answer if you ask properly (Google is not a wizard, hence it cannot read your mind. ...at least not yet), and if you don't find an answer to a question similar to yours, you can always ask on sites like Quora, stackoverflow etc.

I'm assuming you already know what language you want to learn,
If you don't, then forget about learning a programming language for now, instead take sometime to think about what you really want to do before you invest in learning a programming language, there might even be a chance that your main interest might not even require you learning a programming language,
Examples are Data science, Artificial intelligence engineering, Cloud computing, Database administration, cyber security, Blockchain technology (I'm not talking about cryptocurrency, Block chain tech has been used to build other useful tools like the git VCS), Cryptography, Ethical hacking, Robotics, Internet of Things, etc
Do a Google search on the one that sounds most interesting to you

One mistake you should never make is choosing a path because its the latest trend, the thing about trends is they always come and go,
Instead, try to choose a career path and stick with it.

When you have finally figured out exactly what you want to do in tech, you'll want to do research and find out which technologies you'll be using, this is why I asked you to forget about learning a language first, imagine spending months learning python only to discover that you're actually interested in Embedded systems and Hardware programming, sure, no knowledge is wasted but you wouldn't be learning a second programming language if you had decided to pick a field before learning to program.
Check out the first few posts in this thread to gain some insights about some languages you might need to know for your chosen path, alternatively, "just Google it"
Here's an example "What language is used in Embedded systems programming?"

Okay, congrats,
You have chosen a career to stick with and you're already learning the relevant stuff
But I guess that's not all

Don't underestimate the usefulness of MATHEMATICS in programming, believe me this could be one of the things that might really give you a boost in your programming progress, and I'm not talking about simple arithmetic here,

Take a look at this : https://stackabuse.com/mathematical-proof-of-algorithm-correctness-and-efficiency/
Mathematical proof of algorithm correctness,
Efficiency is a commonly used term when it comes to algorithms, an efficient algorithm is one that gets the job done in the least amount of time and with less memory,
And that's just one way you could really use mathematics to your advantage, there are other amazing topics which would really help you write better software.

Anyone can code, but that doesn't make them programmers, just like how anyone can write, but that doesn't make them a writer,
Its what you do with that ability to code or write that sets you apart.
P.S you don't have to be a maths guru to utilize mathematics in your programming, its completely learnable for everyone

Another thing you should consider is Data Structures and Algorithms, I think its safe to assume, that 99% of the code you must have written up until this point is really slow and inefficient, that's where knowledge of DSA could come in handy, the best part is that it applies to every programming language, since an algorithm is list of instructions, a good algorithm must be one that can be implemented in any language at all, take binary search for instance, its not the same code if you were to implement it in python, C++ or Javascript, but its the same step of instructions just written in different flavours,
Another reason you should consider learning DSA is that most interviews at FAANG companies (This refers to pretty much every big tech company out there not just Facebook,Apple,Amazon,Netflix and Google) will require you to solve some specific coding questions using what you must have learnt on DSA (remember, efficiency is really important)

My back really hurts now and I've been typing for so long, but there still so much I want to share with you,
I think I'll wrap it up here

Remember what I said at the beginning of this post
"it would take a lot more than some random person's advice on a Nairaland forum to get you started. (Make sure you do your own research, preferably online too)"

Please do your own research,

I don't know everything and I might have probably made some errors up there
So feel free to make your own additions and corrections

Good Luck to every beginner here !!!
winkwinkwink

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Auskyd(m): 1:44pm On May 28, 2022
Fr4nk:
I know the thread is about programming languages but I feel beginners should be made aware of more options,
If you're a complete noob hoping to hop on the tech train you're welcome, but it would take a lot more than some random person's advice on a Nairaland forum to get you started. (Make sure you do your own research, preferably online too)

If you found this thread through a Google search, then congratulations, you probably have mastered a fundamental skill every programmer should have, and that's "Google Fu" (I borrowed the word),
No one knows everything, that's why the internet exists, if you ever face a problem with your code in the future then there is a high possibility that someone else on this planet must have faced the same problem and asked for a solution, you'll definitely find an answer if you ask properly (Google is not a wizard, hence it cannot read your mind. ...at least not yet), and if you don't find an answer to a question similar to yours, you can always ask on sites like Quora, stackoverflow etc.

I'm assuming you already know what language you want to learn,
If you don't, then forget about learning a programming language for now, instead take sometime to think about what you really want to do before you invest in learning a programming language, there might even be a chance that your main interest might not even require you learning a programming language,
Examples are Data science, Artificial intelligence engineering, Cloud computing, Database administration, cyber security, Blockchain technology (I'm not talking about cryptocurrency, Block chain tech has been used to build other useful tools like the git VCS), Cryptography, Ethical hacking, Robotics, Internet of Things, etc
Do a Google search on the one that sounds most interesting to you

One mistake you should never make is choosing a path because its the latest trend, the thing about trends is they always come and go,
Instead, try to choose a career path and stick with it.

When you have finally figured out exactly what you want to do in tech, you'll want to do research and find out which technologies you'll be using, this is why I asked you to forget about learning a language first, imagine spending months learning python only to discover that you're actually interested in Embedded systems and Hardware programming, sure, no knowledge is wasted but you wouldn't be learning a second programming language if you had decided to pick a field before learning to program.
Check out the first few posts in this thread to gain some insights about some languages you might need to know for your chosen path, alternatively, "just Google it"
Here's an example "What language is used in Embedded systems programming?"

Okay, congrats,
You have chosen a career to stick with and you're already learning the relevant stuff
But I guess that's not all

Don't underestimate the usefulness of MATHEMATICS in programming, believe me this could be one of the things that might really give you a boost in your programming progress, and I'm not talking about simple arithmetic here,

Take a look at this : https://stackabuse.com/mathematical-proof-of-algorithm-correctness-and-efficiency/
Mathematical proof of algorithm correctness,
Efficiency is a commonly used term when it comes to algorithms, an efficient algorithm is one that gets the job done in the least amount of time and with less memory,
And that's just one way you could really use mathematics to your advantage, there are other amazing topics which would really help you write better software.

Anyone can code, but that doesn't make them programmers, just like how anyone can write, but that doesn't make them a writer,
Its what you do with that ability to code or write that sets you apart.
P.S you don't have to be a maths guru to utilize mathematics in your programming, its completely learnable for everyone

Another thing you should consider is Data Structures and Algorithms, I think its safe to assume, that 99% of the code you must have written up until this point is really slow and inefficient, that's where knowledge of DSA could come in handy, the best part is that it applies to every programming language, since an algorithm is list of instructions, a good algorithm must be one that can be implemented in any language at all, take binary search for instance, its not the same code if you were to implement it in python, C++ or Javascript, but its the same step of instructions just written in different flavours,
Another reason you should consider learning DSA is that most interviews at FAANG companies (This refers to pretty much every big tech company out there not just Facebook,Apple,Amazon,Netflix and Google) will require you to solve some specific coding questions using what you must have learnt on DSA (remember, efficiency is really important)

My back really hurts now and I've been typing for so long, but there still so much I want to share with you,
I think I'll wrap it up here

Remember what I said at the beginning of this post
"it would take a lot more than some random person's advice on a Nairaland forum to get you started. (Make sure you do your own research, preferably online too)"

Please do your own research,

I don't know everything and I might have probably made some errors up there
So feel free to make your own additions and corrections

Good Luck to every beginner here !!!
winkwinkwink

I read this 3 times! Guy you go be very very good teacher! Chai Chai chai. I just started JavaScript like on Monday here, cos I want to have a working knowledge of something tech in this my life so that I don't look like mumu in the future lol, and I think this post has been really insightful!

Abeg, at what point in my JavaScript training do I incorporate DSA?

Thanks in anticipation!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 1:08am On May 29, 2022
Auskyd:

I read this 3 times! Guy you go be very very good teacher! Chai Chai chai. I just started JavaScript like on Monday here, cos I want to have a working knowledge of something tech in this my life so that I don't look like mumu in the future lol, and I think this post has been really insightful!

Abeg, at what point in my JavaScript training do I incorporate DSA?

Thanks in anticipation!

Hi, Thanks for the compliment, maybe I might be a good teacher if I had students who would read all the shit I write word for word and understand the whole thing LOL,

Since you said you're learning JavaScript I hope you must already decided that Web Development is the path for you, and you didn't just jump at a random language just because you want to know something in tech, I'll just assume its not the latter.

You can pretty much learn DSA anytime you like as long as you have mastered the basics of programming,
There are general basic stuff you should know which apply to any language you're learning, any programming language is incomplete without them,
These are:
I/O (input and output): this should be the easiest and you already know this by now, even if you just started learning programming 10 minutes ago

Data Types: these are your integers, floats, strings etc, do more research on this for JavaScript, I think it has other weird data types LOL

Conditionals: this refers to your if...else statements

Loops: for and while loops, these are pretty handy for iterating a bunch of stuff in an array or any other iterable objects

There are more basic stuff you need to MASTER before learning DSA,
or at least before trying to learn it,
Because you'll have to get very comfortable with them before going for some more advanced shit like recursion,

Some algorithms like Binary search use recursion, and believe me it can be so damn hard to understand especially if you're a beginner, even at my level I still can't understand code with a recursive function without a pen and paper to actually figure out what's going on

Its 01:04 and I'm feeling a little bit sleepy and i'm not sure if I'm typing right LOL

Just know that there is a lot to learn before jumping into DSA, if u noticed, it was the last thing I mentioned in my last post, make sure you get very comfortable with your language and its syntax, and also some other programming concepts like Recursion (there are more),

This post is poorly composed and of lower quality than last one, please forgive me for my sloppy writing.

Summary:
Learn DSA when you're already fluent in your chosen language, in my opinion you must already know how to write JavaScript just like you write English, by fluency I'm mostly talking about syntax and not some other fancy stuff, also try to find DSA tutorials for your preferred language whenever you're ready because most DSA tutorials focus on C, C++, Python and Java, also you should try solving coding challenges on codewars.com or hackerrank.com (maybe not now though) but they might just help u improve your problem solving skills, imagine having a high rank on codewars.com, its worth bragging about (sometimes) because those questions can get really difficult, you definitely won't look like a "mumu" then LOL

Good Luck Bro
wink

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Azzrael: 7:14am On May 29, 2022
Starting with python as my first language
I have no knowledge of any language before.
I'm a fast learner and I hope to see this through.
Is python a good language for a first?
I'm about to apply for a course on python on udemy.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Obere4u: 7:23am On May 29, 2022
Angy back end developer here? I'm a newbie
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by emmzo(m): 7:29am On May 29, 2022
Learn web design and programming for free now

Message Code A-Z on WhatsApp. https:///message/M6DXVIH2UASSI1
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Auskyd(m): 12:29pm On May 29, 2022
Fr4nk:

Hi, Thanks for the compliment, maybe I might be a good teacher if I had students who would read all the shit I write word for word and understand the whole thing LOL,

Since you said you're learning JavaScript I hope you must already decided that Web Development is the path for you, and you didn't just jump at a random language just because you want to know something in tech, I'll just assume its not the latter.

You can pretty much learn DSA anytime you like as long as you have mastered the basics of programming,
There are general basic stuff you should know which apply to any language you're learning, any programming language is incomplete without them,
These are:
I/O (input and output): this should be the easiest and you already know this by now, even if you just started learning programming 10 minutes ago

Data Types: these are your integers, floats, strings etc, do more research on this for JavaScript, I think it has other weird data types LOL

Conditionals: this refers to your if...else statements

Loops: for and while loops, these are pretty handy for iterating a bunch of stuff in an array or any other iterable objects

There are more basic stuff you need to MASTER before learning DSA,
or at least before trying to learn it,
Because you'll have to get very comfortable with them before going for some more advanced shit like recursion,

Some algorithms like Binary search use recursion, and believe me it can be so damn hard to understand especially if you're a beginner, even at my level I still can't understand code with a recursive function without a pen and paper to actually figure out what's going on

Its 01:04 and I'm feeling a little bit sleepy and i'm not sure if I'm typing right LOL

Just know that there is a lot to learn before jumping into DSA, if u noticed, it was the last thing I mentioned in my last post, make sure you get very comfortable with your language and its syntax, and also some other programming concepts like Recursion (there are more),

This post is poorly composed and of lower quality than last one, please forgive me for my sloppy writing.

Summary:
Learn DSA when you're already fluent in your chosen language, in my opinion you must already know how to write JavaScript just like you write English, by fluency I'm mostly talking about syntax and not some other fancy stuff, also try to find DSA tutorials for your preferred language whenever you're ready because most DSA tutorials focus on C, C++, Python and Java, also you should try solving coding challenges on codewars.com or hackerrank.com (maybe not now though) but they might just help u improve your problem solving skills, imagine having a high rank on codewars.com, its worth bragging about (sometimes) because those questions can get really difficult, you definitely won't look like a "mumu" then LOL

Good Luck Bro
wink

This is very refreshing, thank you so much for the time spent.

Ehn, I chose JavaScript as an entry point into the world of tech and programming, not because I really want to do web development. I asked around on the internet and everyone seemed to point me towards JavaScript as the language I should start with, so here is I am.

And yes, I want to make sure I know it like the back of my hand, before deciding to move on to other languages which might earn me money in the future. For now however, it's solely to satisfy this itch that I have to learn something tech so I don't look like an idiot in decades to come lol. Let me move with my mates, even if it's for the sake of knowledge alone.

Once again, I thoroughly appreciate your time and effort. God bless you bro.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by avalon7(m): 12:57pm On May 29, 2022
Azzrael:
Starting with python as my first language
I have no knowledge of any language before.
I'm a fast learner and I hope to see this through.
Is python a good language for a first?
I'm about to apply for a course on python on udemy.

Easy to learn and has a wide range of applications, hence a beginner friendly language. Don't just learn a programming language for learning sake, you should figure out what aspect of tech you are interested in and learn the tools you need to succeed.

There's Software development, web development, game development, cloud and database management and Data science/machine learning/AI. Each of these areas require different skill sets, so do your research so you don't end up wasting your time learning things you may never use. Good luck

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 4:32pm On May 29, 2022
Auskyd:

This is very refreshing, thank you so much for the time spent.

Ehn, I chose JavaScript as an entry point into the world of tech and programming, not because I really want to do web development. I asked around on the internet and everyone seemed to point me towards JavaScript as the language I should start with, so here is I am.

And yes, I want to make sure I know it like the back of my hand, before deciding to move on to other languages which might earn me money in the future. For now however, it's solely to satisfy this itch that I have to learn something tech so I don't look like an idiot in decades to come lol. Let me move with my mates, even if it's for the sake of knowledge alone.

Once again, I thoroughly appreciate your time and effort. God bless you bro.

coding isn't the only thing u can Learn in tech bro, but it sure is interesting,
You'll go pretty far if money isn't your only motivation,

Since you're already learning JavaScript, web development is one of its popular uses, but if you're not so sure about being a web developer (after doing your research of all the web development entails) then you should still take your time and think of a field to dive into.

Remember, pick a field first then language later,

Here's a scenario:
You want to get into the electronic industry, someone advised you to learn how to use a screwdriver, its a very popular and a lot of people in this industry are using it in their daily work, so you decided to spend weeks learning how to use a screwdriver professionally,
Now you're done with training and you want to start earning money with your skill, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of people looking to hire professional screwdriver operators.
Instead, spots were open for electronic appliance repairs/maintenance, appliance assembly personnel, etc (I don't know, I just made those up, I don't know if they're real jobs)

What's the problem here?
Well, just like you a maintenance guy knows how to use a screwdriver very well, but, that isn't the only thing he knows,
He probably decided that he was going to become a maintenance guy before learning to use a screwdriver, unlike you he didn't have to spend weeks learning how to use it, maybe he learnt the basics in just a few hours, and he also learnt how to apply that to other things he'll probably be learning for his job

I hope this scenario helps

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 4:33pm On May 29, 2022
avalon7:

Easy to learn and has a wide range of applications, hence a beginner friendly language. Don't just learn a programming language for learning sake, you should figure out what aspect of tech you are interested in and learn the tools you need to succeed.

There's Software development, web development, game development, cloud and database management and Data science/machine learning/AI. Each of these areas require different skill sets, so do your research so you don't end up wasting your time learning things you may never use. Good luck

Yes Comrade, my point exactly, pick an area of specialization first, its really important
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Auskyd(m): 7:14pm On May 29, 2022
Fr4nk:

coding isn't the only thing u can Learn in tech bro, but it sure is interesting,
You'll go pretty far if money isn't your only motivation,

Since you're already learning JavaScript, web development is one of its popular uses, but if you're not so sure about being a web developer (after doing your research of all the web development entails) then you should still take your time and think of a field to dive into.

Remember, pick a field first then language later,

Here's a scenario:
You want to get into the electronic industry, someone advised you to learn how to use a screwdriver, its a very popular and a lot of people in this industry are using it in their daily work, so you decided to spend weeks learning how to use a screwdriver professionally,
Now you're done with training and you want to start earning money with your skill, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of people looking to hire professional screwdriver operators.
Instead, spots were open for electronic appliance repairs/maintenance, appliance assembly personnel, etc (I don't know, I just made those up, I don't know if they're real jobs)

What's the problem here?
Well, just like you a maintenance guy knows how to use a screwdriver very well, but, that isn't the only thing he knows,
He probably decided that he was going to become a maintenance guy before learning to use a screwdriver, unlike you he didn't have to spend weeks learning how to use it, maybe he learnt the basics in just a few hours, and he also learnt how to apply that to other things he'll probably be learning for his job

I hope this scenario helps

Thanks once again, OG. Very insightful. I will take keep an open mind once I'm done with JavaScript.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Azzrael: 9:19pm On May 29, 2022
avalon7:

I'm about to study software engineering in the University to become a software developer later.
I want to build myself before then.
So yes I know what I intend to do.
Thanks sir

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by flexible001(m): 12:10pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=Javanian post=13638117]JavaScript

JavaScript is a scripting language commonly implemented as part of a web browser in order to create enhanced user interfaces and dynamic websites.

JavaScript is a prototype-based scripting language that is dynamic, weakly typed and has first-class functions. It uses syntax influenced by the language C. JavaScript copies many names and naming conventions from Java. JavaScript is NOT the-same thing as JAVA

Where can i learn JavaScript?

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/javascript/index.htm

http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/

Ebooks

www.tutorialspoint.com/javascript/javascript_tutorial.pdf

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE79FE1267A2553E2[/quote

Please I really want to lean programming but I don't know how to go about it,
I've been trying online YouTube videos but it's not helping
Can I find someone that can put me through, please I need your reply and also if you can refer me to tutor here in Abuja I will be very happy thanks
WhatsApp number 09097344382

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Cassahav: 11:51pm On May 30, 2022
Javanian:
They are a lot of them, but these are the ones that i could think of at the time of writing.. grin

PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES

1. Java

2. C

3. C++

4. c#

5. Objective C

6. PHP

7. Assembly Language

8. Javascript

9. Visual Basic

10. VB.NET

11. ASP

12. ASP.NET

13. PYTHON

14. Ruby

OTHERS

a. HTML

b. CSS

I will only talk about the ones on BOLD grin

Why is html and css others
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Fr4nk(m): 12:27am On May 31, 2022
Cassahav:

Why is html and css others

Because they are not programming languages
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Manamana: 11:01pm On Jun 01, 2022
It's nice to start a Programming career. However, when selecting a laptop kindly check out the most befitting ones for efficiency

[url]https://androidweb24.com/top-5-best-laptops-for-programming/Top 5 Best Laptops For Programming[/url]

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DHaran: 12:28am On Jun 02, 2022
Which laptop is the best specs for coding?? Within budget of 100-150K pls
150k can get u core i5 5th gen.
location matters buy it in abuja.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 1:43am On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol@ doing the rarest things in Naija tech. It can be hard and lonely doing that o. When there's no local community to bounce ideas or source items from.

Now to your question about Automation, it's still in its early days here. It simplifies a lot of things but there are still somethings that need humans. Is it harder than Software dev? I don't think using the automation tools are harder, but the tools are designed by devs so at the end of the day devs still remains the queen of tech. Is it harder than my current role as a VOIP engineer? I won't say it is cos a lot of the issues we face requires some human experience to be able to resolve. There's a limit to which automation can be innovative. Automation is however growing and I expect it to start taking a lot of major roles.
Thanks for this

I was thinking about recommending VOIP or automation to a couple newbies trying to get into tech. Everybody is a mobile dev and e don dey tire me
Where do you recommend one starts in such 'dark' areas of tech
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by airsaylongcome: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2022
DrLevi:

Thanks for this

I was thinking about recommending VOIP or automation to a couple newbies trying to get into tech. Everybody is a mobile dev and e don dey tire me
Where do you recommend one starts in such 'dark' areas of tech

I would say VOIP. My initial learning years ago was through a YouTube channel called Crosstalk Solutions. I checked a few days back and he has revamped the series using the latest version of the software.

They can also look at roles in Customer/Tech Support for a start

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by maverick1995: 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2022
Please boss, I want you to be my mentor sir. Please accept me. I'll be totally loyal..
xterra2:

If you want your apps to be multi-platform Crappy windoze and OS X and Linux you can use java for it, else if it is only windows learn C#, if you want the app to be visually stunning on Mac OS X you have to use the Cocoa framework - and it means you have to learn Objective C - God i hate that language. It is NOT similar to C#,java and C++ but it is Object Oriented, do NOT think by learning any OOP you can easily learn objective C.

For GUI C# is better using Visual Studio for windows only like i said. For that it is easier to use SQL server - and it uses T-SQL a slight Variation from the Standardized SQL - just some slight changes and you can use Visual Studio's Drag and Drop to do things like JOINS
AM guessing the apps are for windows so learn C# - creating Front end you have to use winforms but for me i don't use it, it is OUTDATED i use WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation

I have given you all the information you need, pick your choice based on my EXPERT analysis wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.