Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

What Is So Special About January 1st? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is So Special About January 1st? (14491 Views)

What Is So Hard About January? / Read About JANUARY, Derivation Of The Word "JANUARY" And The Gregorian Calender / What Is So Special About December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Ofunaofu: 10:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
make una dey dia dey yarn make i enter church for today's ogbunge cross-over night crusade. I need to dey under the annoiting enter 2013. See you all next year
***close thread**
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by anyerhovwo(f): 10:35pm On Dec 31, 2012
Well, there is nothing special about January 1st, is just the first day of a new month and of a new calendar year. Shikinaa! smiley
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 10:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
Yomieluv: Its an opportunity to start afresh,and reasons to thanK God for the gift of life.Do you know how many people that wished to see next year,but didn't? Its a special day for me.

I know something like this would make front page.next topic would be,Do we have to sleep?
Is it that you don't thank God for the breath of life daily.

You don't have to wait till the end of the year to start afresh.

Some people will still thank God and die some few minutes into the new year and that someone sees a new year doesn't mean he will end it evident by people who died this year.

So nothing special, all I see is an inflated over hyped day.

Every single day is as important has the other.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by mascot87(m): 10:38pm On Dec 31, 2012
ydass:

Wondering what has happened to your thinking faculty. Have u forgotten the saying that there is nothing new under the earth? Can u tell me if new things don't happen everyday?
If I call u an imbecilee now people will say I am wicked but they have forgotten that u lack wisdom. Next time you want to call someone's attention to something,dont use abusive words.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 10:40pm On Dec 31, 2012
ignis:
Your guess has been made right.
It has made front page.
Just as you said, the op fully knows the answer to his question.

But the answers are revealing otherwise, I opened the thread so that people can ask themselves the question and not base there celebration on tradition.

Besides I don't see anything special, so I just wanted to sample opinions to be sure I'm not missing anything.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Les: 10:41pm On Dec 31, 2012
samuel900: So u don't know what's special if u have sum1 in d Bomb blast of accidents u will no its not easy to cross over
wat if you cross over and still get bombed on jan1?? Will crossing over stop u from getting bombed. Those dat gat bombed, did they celeb. Their crossing over to spirit world wit bangers and church goin?? Com'n, gimme a berra reason to take jan1 a special day.
#80million:
*speechless*

that i'm alive on January 1st makes it special!
dat you are alive now is not special

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 10:50pm On Dec 31, 2012
Royal Roy: You don't see anything about it right?
Try this Mr k2039......
Imagine having a car, u just bought it and u feel so good the first day. Counting a whole year after, then someone buys u a new one exactly a year after. How would u feel? Like its just another car? Or u would be grateful?

I don't see the anology between your post and mine.

By the way why should I be crazy about a car when in fact a new model will be created the following year.
No matter how much you celebrate the purchase of a car after a year you realise the celebration just didn't worth it.

Frankly, I don't see the analogy, maybe you elaborate more on your point.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 11:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
cold: Well as for me.The start of the year is when I set my targets (not resolutions o! ehen).I take stock of the preceding year to determine if i'm making any progress,stagnating or just oscillating without making any movement. After a thorough analysis,I may decide to restrategise or stay the course.My 2 Naira

Do you have to wait till the end of the year to determining if you are making progress?.

It's not about the day, we set goal daily so it's not just about the first day of the year. Are you telling me that you set all your targets for the year on the first day alone, along the year you realise you have to incubate some other goals into your plan, are you going to wait till the end of the year before you make a new one.

Besides every other day matters in the attainment of your goals not just the first day of the year.

All I see in your post is reflection not celebration, and we reflect on our lives daily, so the new day of the year is not worth the celebration being acccorded to it, so it's over rated.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 11:04pm On Dec 31, 2012
Lakayana: You are one those people that do not deserve God's favours. God saw you through 365days yet you open your mouth to ask what is special about that special privilege.
It makes reasonable sense to you that I have to wait till the end of the year before I thank God for His favors.
I thank God daily and Jan. 1st is not an exception, your post is pointless, it just doesn't make any minimum sense to me.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 11:06pm On Dec 31, 2012
chigozie250: Looks lyk ure a saddist or maybe something bad happened to u on a new year day some years ago.......pls dnt try to infect others with ur sadism
Nothing said at all..............
I asked a question, answer the question and stop hiding under the guise of something else.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by kaboninc(m): 11:19pm On Dec 31, 2012
What could possibly be so special on the 1st of January?

Well, it could be a sign of a new beginning. Or better still, high hopes of expectations of positive events. For organisations, start of a new cycle with positive prospects. And to others (like you) it'll just be like every other day.

However, if that day doesn't mean much to you, it doesn't mean that others don't hold it special. And among those who see it as being special, some may decide to go to church and others may decide to spend it at home. Others may even want to have fun.

My advice to you, always have it in mind that not everyone will agree with you. In fact, very few will.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by odutope(m): 11:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
Notin special abt the jan 1st,its jst like any other day..If you av to wait till d beginnin of a new year b4 u thank God then u case is serious !!

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 11:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
diji04: it is the first day of the year so we need to celebrate the year 365 day is nt easy it cals for celebration.if stay bored.
All I can deduce from your post is that we celebrate because it's the first day of the year, meaningless.
Unfortunately some people will celebrate just some few minutes, hours, weeks and months into the new year and die, I don't see the logic.
Every single day we spend on earth is worth celebrating so Jan. 1st shouldn't be accorded a different honor from the other days.

If you must celebrate Jan. 1st then you must celebrate the other days.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 11:47pm On Dec 31, 2012
callmebettyetta: In my church 1st of january is d time most wonderful things happen or occur , u have d whole time share ur numerious testimony and praise the lord for keeping u till dat day.I Think is something one must pertake. So don't sleep at home look for a church and attend.
I share my testimony when the need arises, I don't have to wait till the end of the year to share my testimony.

So after the first day of the year, wonderful things don't happen in your church, smh.

I praise the Lord daily, so the new year is not a big deal.

You have not given me a reason to pertake in the cross over service.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by patostation(m): 11:48pm On Dec 31, 2012
If you are to view the issue from the angle of various calenders, then January 1 will be as insignificant as any other day. Consider that there is the Jewish calender in which the 1st month Nisan fall between March and April. There was a Roman Calender, then the Julian Calender developed by the Greeks. The Muslims also follow a calender that does not in any way make January 1 the first day of the year. True, the Gregorian Calender (instituted by Pope Gregory XIII) is in general use today but the point is that the days are just arbitrary, man-made at best. So why make it look special when it is just another day? As God's Word rightly pointed out, "one man judges one day as above another, another man judges one day as all others" (Rom 14:5) Compare Gal 4:8-11, Col 2:16,17.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by patostation(m): 12:03am On Jan 01, 2013
It is just that many religious leaders try to hype up January 1 for percuniary reasons. They frighten their members that if they do not participate in the "cross-over" prayers, things will not go well for them. But this is a big lie. If we have to watch and pray, we need to do it everyday from January to December for we do not know when the Master will return.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Abrantie: 12:55am On Jan 01, 2013
TroGunn: Just another day. Nothing at all special about it.

Thank the ancient Romans for putting the date in spotlight in their celebrating it for their god Janus.

One does learn something on NL everyday. Is that god related to Anus?
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 1:40am On Jan 01, 2013
joeydozzy: the day is special cos you're still high from the hangover on the eve sad
gringringringringringrin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 1:44am On Jan 01, 2013
TimePiece: I was just chatting about this topic a few minutes ago.
My opinion, nothing special!
It's just a change in the calender that people liken to the beginning of a new world. undecided
And down her in my dear country, it becomes an opportunity to dish out another round of drama

[color=soyouquotedme]I can't agree any less. Simply traditions and people have a big issue with questioning traditions. If they did, they will realise a new year doesn't equate to anything new. A year just signifies that the earth has complete a revolution around the sun. [/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 1:45am On Jan 01, 2013
HQ: It's the first day of a new year preceding the last day of a previous year.
[color=soyouquotedme]Gbam [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by mikuz(m): 1:50am On Jan 01, 2013
Jan 1 is nothing special. Gigantically overhyped.

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:08am On Jan 01, 2013
trolling: it's a day dedicated to Janus, a pagan god, and that's where january is derived from

[color=soyouquotedme]I have to do some research on your assertion. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:10am On Jan 01, 2013
okpara ugo: What is so special about eating suya in the evening
[color=soyouquotedme]Youuuuuuu.

smh
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:10am On Jan 01, 2013
all4naija: It is a reminder of you ageing!

[color=soyouquotedme]Everyday in itself is a reminder that one is aging. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:12am On Jan 01, 2013
J-LANCE:
i been wan ask my guyz the same thing here but i keep quiet as i fear say maybe i no go dey to see 2013 na wen my eye go clear say difference dey
gringringringringringrin

On top sey I dey talk about this issue with one girl, na so she vex no reply my chat again.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:14am On Jan 01, 2013
ydass:

Wondering what has happened to your thinking faculty. Have u forgotten the saying that there is nothing new under the earth? Can u tell me if new things don't happen everyday.

[color=soyouquotedme]My brother I wonder too, I just don't see the how the the ney year translate to new things.
They are painting the picture as if everything changes at 12.00am on January 1st.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by HIV1: 2:15am On Jan 01, 2013
Yes nothing special about the forking day. The sky gonna come out in the same colour. PHCN will continue to take light as usual. It is just that Naigerians are always happy to be alive for nothing even as prisoners in the hands of their leaders.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:17am On Jan 01, 2013
Sam xiu lee: Really,there is nothing special,but just like birthdays,I try as much to thank God for another 365 days,just like I thank him for a new month,and I rock and relax at the weekend in anticipation of a new week,I thank him for everyday on earth.
I dnt make new year resolutions cos I dnt keep them,I also do not go to church for new year vigil,I prefer being in solitude praying and thanking God for the New year,after which life just goes on.

[color=soyouquotedme]God Bless You.

I'm surprised when people talk about making resolutions, it's my believe that it should be made on a daily basis not a yearly stuff.
Why should I wait till the end of the year before I make necessary adjustment or set goals for my self.
I can do all that when I see the need for it and it doesn't mean the first day of a new year.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:19am On Jan 01, 2013
stephenponti: THE PARADOX OF TIME:- On the surface the present moment is "what happens". Since what happens changes continuously, it seems that every day of your life consists of moments. Time is seen as the endless succession of moments some "good" some "bad". Looking closely to your own immediate experience you ll discover there is only this moment. Life is always NOW. The notion of new year is simply an illusion on circumnavigation of the celestial bodies. my thought though.
[color=soyouquotedme]Your thought made maximum sense to any logical mind.

In fact this is the best post I have read so far on this thread, time itself is an illusion.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:21am On Jan 01, 2013
Les: i just wrote on my 2go status dat there's noting special about dis nyt to me just to com here to see it as first topic on front page. I thank God every single day of my life, why should today be any different from d normal thanking abi 31st nyt and 52nd june, dont they have d same 24hours?? Am a christian but i want to join d philosophers dat dont believe there's anything like today and tomoro, monday and tuesday, they are d same day, we are just d one dat gave dem names. I tire for some christians o. Midnight call mode activated sha o.

[color=soyouquotedme]Gbam.

I agree with you, people just follow tradition without sitting down to examine if it's reasonable to the logical mind or not.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:25am On Jan 01, 2013
holamiday: Abi o. 1st january is not different from any other day. In fact all days are the same, sunrise & sunset. Human beings have created things like date for easy comprehension, to define our living & make sense of life. Nevertheless, we still have to acknowledge the first day of the year & thank God specially for the grace to witness it.

[color=soyouquotedme]Just like we thank God for any other day. So the celebration is over rated. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:26am On Jan 01, 2013
NoContract: Op is jobless$

I ιмαgιηє the kind of euphoria he go ∂єу, dis one wey he hit fp.
[color=soyouquotedme]You are jobful to have viewed the thread. [/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Oam4j! / Insecure, Narcissistic People More Likely To Post On Facebook – Report / What Have You Survived This Year? Inspire Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.