Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,570 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

What Is So Special About January 1st? - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is So Special About January 1st? (14496 Views)

What Is So Hard About January? / Read About JANUARY, Derivation Of The Word "JANUARY" And The Gregorian Calender / What Is So Special About December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Bjqoo(m): 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2013
1. It is unanimously agreed by all religious Scholars from every school of thought that associating partners with Almighty God is of the worst crime.
It was during the reign of Julius Ceaser in the 1st century BC that he paid tribute to the Roman God Janus by naming the first month after her (January). The god was illustrated as having two faces one facingforwards and one facing backwards, symbolising goingfrom an old year into the new. This idea in still central today, with the idea of a New YEAR...

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 01, 2013
That is why christians must not celebrate new year.new year celebration is based roman-gregorian calendar.there are other calendars in world that have different day for new year namely ethiopia,jewish,mayan,islamic,chinese calendars etc.
trolling: it's a day dedicated to Janus, a pagan god, and that's where january is derived from
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 1:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
surveyProf: Reasons while Jan 1st is special to lots of people is very simple, in the sense that, @ dis time last year, if you can cast ur mind back-to-back, you will discover dat der are some people that started dis year 2012 with you, but @ as today 31st December 2012 dey are no more, that means dey are not going to be crossing over with u, with dis alone, u are meant to take dis day as a special day and give thanks to you maker, been u a Christain, Muslim, etc, its very necessary @ dis time!

[color=soyouquotedme]People die daily, so why not thank God for crossing over each day.
So it's still not more special than any other day.
From your post it's still overrated.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 1:40pm On Jan 01, 2013
caukerzee: Why do you need to remember your birthday then since its just like every other day? As a poster said, its a reference point, the begining and start of a new era. Imagine going for a journey without a starting point or refrence point?
[color=soyouquotedme]I hope you are a science student.
If you take three different steam tables you will realise they will have different reference but the same value.
So the year is a state function, so any reference chosen is'nt a special big deal.

I don't understand how a new year translates to a new era. Nothing is new today, everything remain as it was.

I already talked about the Birthday
www.nairaland.com/1147392/what-special-january-1st/2#13625764
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 01, 2013
Mynd_44: Midnight 1st of January is the most annoying time of the year. Seriously how is it different from all the other days? And yet some over religious people will start running to church so they they as in church at that momment and then got back to what they are doing. I will rather sleep in my house or watch TV
Thats what i did ''slept very well'' despite the noise
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 1:57pm On Jan 01, 2013
Les: wat if you cross over and still get bombed on jan1?? Will crossing over stop u from getting bombed. Those dat gat bombed, did they celeb. Their crossing over to spirit world wit bangers and church goin?? Com'n, gimme a berra reason to take jan1 a special day.dat you are alive now is not special

[color=soyouquotedme]It's a big deal to be alive, people die daily, so I wonder why they didn't make the others a big deal.

Inflating Jan. 1st is just hypocrisy of the highest order.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:03pm On Jan 01, 2013
kaboninc: What could possibly be so special on the 1st of January?

Well, it could be a sign of a new beginning. Or better still, high hopes of expectations of positive events. For organisations, start of a new cycle with positive prospects. And to others (like you) it'll just be like every other day.

However, if that day doesn't mean much to you, it doesn't mean that others don't hold it special. And among those who see it as being special, some may decide to go to church and others may decide to spend it at home. Others may even want to have fun.

My advice to you, always have it in mind that not everyone will agree with you. In fact, very few will.
[color=soyouquotedme]I agree, people don't have to agree, but when you ask them to justify the reasons for their believes and they can't give you a reasonable reason, then it goes a long way to see how our orientations and perceptions has been highly distorted and people just don't want to learn.
It's pathetic.

That's why there is a big problem with christendom, people accepting everything they are told by their pastors without questioning if their pastor's stand is right.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
odutope: Notin special abt the jan 1st,its jst like any other day..If you av to wait till d beginnin of a new year b4 u thank God then u case is serious !!

[color=soyouquotedme]Gbam.

Thank you
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Libkid(m): 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
The best way u can get ur ansa is to visit the mortuary or bera still the cemetry.i bet u will have a reason to celebrate the new year.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:20pm On Jan 01, 2013
pato station: If you are to view the issue from the angle of various calenders, then January 1 will be as insignificant as any other day. Consider that there is the Jewish calender in which the 1st month Nisan fall between March and April. There was a Roman Calender, then the Julian Calender developed by the Greeks. The Muslims also follow a calender that does not in any way make January 1 the first day of the year. True, the Gregorian Calender (instituted by Pope Gregory XIII) is in general use today but the point is that the days are just arbitrary, man-made at best. So why make it look special when it is just another day? As God's Word rightly pointed out, "one man judges one day as above another, another man judges one day as all others" (Rom 14:5) Compare Gal 4:8-11, Col 2:16,17.
[color=soyouquotedme]Thank you for your post, it's self explanatory for any one who will open his mind without preconceived traditon mindsets.

Thank you so much, I agree with your assertions.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:25pm On Jan 01, 2013
pato station: It is just that many religious leaders try to hype up January 1 for percuniary reasons. They frighten their members that if they do not participate in the "cross-over" prayers, things will not go well for them. But this is a big lie. If we have to watch and pray, we need to do it everyday from January to December for we do not know when the Master will return.

[color=soyouquotedme]If we have to follow their logic, it won't be necessary to pray during the year, sice the watch night has covered every aspect of the year, but we know it's not true.

I agree it's over rated and I wonder why people just don't see the need to question this tradition that was handed down to them
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:27pm On Jan 01, 2013
mikuz: Jan 1 is nothing special. Gigantically overhyped.
[color=soyouquotedme]I love that word 'gigantically'.

I agree with you in all totality.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:28pm On Jan 01, 2013
HIV1: Yes nothing special about the forking day. The sky gonna come out in the same colour. PHCN will continue to take light as usual. It is just that Naigerians are always happy to be alive for nothing even as prisoners in the hands of their leaders.
[color=soyouquotedme]Thank you, God bless you, I agree with your assertions. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:30pm On Jan 01, 2013
adexway: Jonathan's fuel subsidy removal. Kidding. I think those who died in 2012 can answer better. It's just human to celebrate new things.
[color=soyouquotedme]Sorry, what's new abou the new year?.

New political setting, new environmental setting, new roads, new house, new everything.

Please clarify your post, I'm confused.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by caukerzee(m): 2:30pm On Jan 01, 2013
k2039:
[color=soyouquotedme]I hope you are a science student.
If you take three different steam tables you will realise they will have different reference but the same value.
So the year is a state function, so any reference chosen is'nt a special big deal.

I don't understand how a new year translates to a new era. Nothing is new today, everything remain as it was.

I already talked about the Birthday
www.nairaland.com/1147392/what-special-january-1st/2#13625764
[/color]
I get your point tho, but everybody got their believes, what keeps you going is not what keep others going. It may not be significant to you but it is to others.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:32pm On Jan 01, 2013
millhouse: Not every company has jan1st as its new calendar year

[color=soyouquotedme]Even Nigeria's yearly budget is not implemented on Jan. 1st, I agree with you. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
kadree: But y would a religion dat boast of a huge population be celebrating d day selected for a pegan god-juran?
Y celebrating sometin dat doesn't av a sound origin?its just unbelievable
[color=soyouquotedme]Traditions.

People have failed to ask the right question about their believes.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:36pm On Jan 01, 2013
adextaiwo84:

You deserve a life ban... grin
gringringringringringringrin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:37pm On Jan 01, 2013
ReeOde:

And every year you keep looking back to say 'oh, you messed up last year and you're going to improve another.' Change is constant in man. Whether you like it or not, 2012 or 2013, you will grow and so will your thoughts or dream, such that there will always be a cause to pursue whatever dream you dreamt of or dreaming about, or not.
2012 started with the same notion and now where does it end? Whether you like it or not, you willl surely achieve what God has destined for you when it's time. Poor man and his misguidance, not willing to accept the truth, influenced by his society and companions. Let's not forget that every individual will bare his own cause on the Day of Reckoning, so choose wise your companions and decisions.

[color=soyouquotedme]+1000000000 Likes. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:49pm On Jan 01, 2013
ReeOde: @k2039
It interest me to know someone...is showing keen interest in knowing what makes it so special; have you also thought of finding if it is worth counting, if it is acqurate in its numbers of days of a month?
A bit of me, i count the moon. It is perfect, and am actually saying this with a sincere heart and to the best of my knowledge. Counting the moon from its cresent until it is fullmoon and then again a cresent before it disappears for a night or two of which it appears again as a cresent and on and on. All these counting makes 29 or 30days. You can learn more about it if you choose to, it is knowledge.
We use the Gregorian in Nigeria and i count for it...but i definitely use the Lunar in performing my religious acts. It's acqurate for me.

New year, even in my doctrine, my calender, it is what it is, a new year. It holds no meaning or significance other than what it is, A NEW YEAR.
With this firm teaching and practise, no day is insignificant and more significant other than our two festivals and one weekly festival (fridays). So i don't celebrate both neither do i make it seem special.
[color=soyouquotedme]@ the bolded, I think I get your drift.
Just like sunday and christmas is to the christians. Nothing significat about the days, sunday is just for religious act, christmas is to remember the day Jesus was born even though he wasn't born on that day.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
Kizopumpin: So special because it is my wifey's birthday kiss grin
gringringringrin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:52pm On Jan 01, 2013
Topilo13: Notin,its lyk oda daz,evryday is special nd we shld remba death alwaz.
[color=soyouquotedme]Thank you. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:54pm On Jan 01, 2013
wizboi26: @op. Are u from dis planet?
[color=soyouquotedme]Sounds like what my girl friend told me this morning, I wonder why everyone thinks I'm weird when in fact they are the ones that are weird. [/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2013
Madawaki01: haha,why?
[color=soyouquotedme]Nothing is special about the day.

You are the one that will prove to us why you think it's special, you are the ones celebrating, so you tell us what's special.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:01pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011:

To each his own. Going to church for crossover nite isn't being over religious. Pls, dnt come here and give us e-poison of the mind.
[color=soyouquotedme]Prove your point, stop hiding under the guise of something else.

He explained his point and justified the reasons for his post.

So you should also defend your indefensible doctrine.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:07pm On Jan 01, 2013
caukerzee: Just stop contradicting your fvcking confused brain. What are resolutions then? Does'nt resolution involve planning and making goals? The same you said in a previous reply that you resolutions at the begining of the year makes no sense. As i said earlier, it is a refrence point of a journey, thats why we take note of birthdays, too look back and see what one has achived within the year. Most times people set goals, say i want to achive this within these number of years. If i suceed, why dont i celebrate my sucess and if i fail why dont i make resolutions to suceed? It is all a reference point between the end of one journey and the begining of another.
[color=soyouquotedme]So you have to wait till the end of the year to make a resolution, so if during the year the need arises to make set new goals will you wait to the end of the year before you make another resolution.

At the bolded, I agree people can make Jan. 1st a reference, but that still doesn't reflects the rating that is accorded to theat day.

In thermodynamics choosing a reference doesn't make the reference a big deal in as much as it's a state function.
Different references will give you thesame result, so why is Jan. 1st inflated than the other days. It's just like inflating a particular reference when in reality they will give thesa,e result.

Long and short time goals has nothing to do with the begining of the year.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:09pm On Jan 01, 2013
iamdsam: Most people don't know that it's just a change in the date calender. It's like any other day but over religious religous people will not agree with that
[color=soyouquotedme]My problem with them is that they have failed to see reason even when it's glaring that January is just the first day of a calendar year, nothing more, nothing less. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:11pm On Jan 01, 2013
andyjell01: The fact that u r not dead,and u still av fingers to type such a stupid question is good enough reason why janaury 1st is important.so many people couldnt make to the new year and u did and all u can say is to ask this outrageously stupid question.
[color=soyouquotedme]I open a thread every other day of the year when people die, so why not inflate the other days to the way Jan. 1st is hyped.

Your point is pointless.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:13pm On Jan 01, 2013
Dee60: The first day of a new year offers another opportunity to start afresh with new dreams and with utmost prayers to make the next twelve months fulfilling. we should be positive at such an opportunity. Particularly, we should embrace God. With God...all things are possible.
[color=soyouquotedme]Are you saying I have to wait till the beginning of a new year to start afresh, have new dreams.

If we have to pray for the whole year on Jan. 1st, then why pray the remaining days of the year when you have prayed all that's necessary for the new year.

From your deductions and my post it's so obvious that Jan. 1st is over rated.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:15pm On Jan 01, 2013
Wizee: Thats what i did ''slept very well'' despite the noise
gringringringrin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:17pm On Jan 01, 2013
Libkid: The best way u can get ur ansa is to visit the mortuary or bera still the cemetry.i bet u will have a reason to celebrate the new year.
[color=soyouquotedme]Is it that if I vist the mortuary any other day of the year I won't have full reason to glorify God.

So I have to wait till the end of the year before I thank God.

If your assertions are anything to go by, every other day is just as significant as Jan. 1st because people die daily.

So from your post it's obvious Jan. 1st is over rated.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 3:21pm On Jan 01, 2013
caukerzee: I get your point tho, but everybody got their believes, what keeps you going is not what keep others going. It may not be significant to you but it is to others.
[color=soyouquotedme]I understand we are all entitled to what we believe.
Two people can see thesame thing and still disagree, eventually it boils down to understanding the other's perspective.

I want to try as much as possible to see things from the other's point of view but it looks like their point of view is distorted.

We see things either the way they are(reality) or the way we want it to be(which doesn't change the reality).

It's certain a lot of peoples perception about Jan. 1st is flawed.
[/color]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Oam4j! / Insecure, Narcissistic People More Likely To Post On Facebook – Report / Top Events That Rocked Nigeria And Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.