Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

More Accolades For Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Accolades For Achebe (1012 Views)

Buhari Gets Accolades At Uk House Of Lords, As Troops Nab Sect Leader / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Slaps And Accolades On Jonathan Facebook Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Accolades For Achebe by HottFunmi: 6:22am On Feb 22, 2008
Again, Things Fall Apart, gets global acclaim
From Laolu Akande, New York

HONOUR and renewed acclaim around the world are set again for that award-winning African novel in a class of its own, Things Fall Apart, as the book enters its 50th year publication anniversary.

A series of events, including a world-class tribute at the historic New York City Town Hall, have been lined up here in the United States (US.), Nigeria and across the world for the 50th anniversary celebration of the award-winning novel, including the publication of an anniversary edition by a US. book publisher.

In a statement yesterday in New York by the publishers, Anchor books, part of the international celebration of Achebe's book is a tribute to be hosted by Anchor Books and PEN American Center on February 26 at Town Hall in New York City.

The Town hall is where New York City is being managed, including the offices of the New York Mayor and the City Council. It is at the heart of the city, a major historical site and tourist attraction.

Dignitaries and authors expected at the tribute include Nobel winner, Toni Morrison; Chimamanda Adichie; Suheir Hammad; Edwidge Danticat; Ha Jin, Chris Abani, and Colum McCann. The evening also features other special performances.

Regarded as one of the greatest novels of the 20th century, Things Fall Apart was first published in England in 1958, and its author, Nigeria's Chinua Achebe has since risen to the status of "arguably the father of modern African literature," according to Anchor Books, (US.), the publisher of the 50th anniversary edition of the historic book.

Said the publishers: "2008 marks the 50th anniversary of Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart." To honor this milestone and celebrate Black History Month, (in United States, February is Black History month) Anchor Books has produced a beautiful new 50th Anniversary Edition. Achebe's tale of tribal life in Nigeria is a powerful read, as moving the first time as it is the fiftieth. It is also a fantastic choice for reading groups and is sure to inspire lively discussion."

According to the publishers: "Put simply, Things Fall Apart, one of the first African novels written in English to receive global critical acclaim, is the most illuminating and permanent monument we have to the modern African experience as seen from within. Since its first publication, Achebe's seminal novel has been published in 50 different languages and has sold millions of copies in the US. alone since its original publication."

Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) and Nigerian government officials are also listed as participants in some of the events set to celebrate the book and its world-acclaimed author (Achebe), now an Emeritus Professor at Bard College in New York State.

Other groups around the world playing an active role in the celebrations include the Brooklyn Academy of Music, in New York, the Black Academy of Arts and Letters, African Thinkers Roundtable in Dallas, Texas, Bard College radio station in New York, South African Writers Association among several others.

Other events and programmes to celebrate the book's 50th anniversary would take place in Washington, DC, Princeton New Jersey, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, and other places here in the US, 
[b]Events have also been lined up in London; Lisbon, Portugal; Johannesburg and Cape Town in South Africa; Hyderabad, India and in several Nigerian and US. universities. There are also plans for events in Canada, France, Sweden, Kenya, Ghana, Gambia and Brazil.[/b]The celebrations starting this month world-wide will proceed all the way till November this year.

As the US.-based publishers recalled in its statement, " Things Fall Apart concerns the clash of cultures and the destruction of Okonkwo's world through the arrival of aggressive, proselytising European missionaries. These twin dramas are perfectly harmonised and they are modulated by an awareness capable of encompassing at once the life of nature, human history and the mysterious compulsions of the soul."

When the 100 books of the century were honoured in New York marking the 100 years of the opening of the New York library, Things Fall Apart was listed as one of the 100 books of the century in the late 1990s.

According to Nobel winner, Nadine Gordimer, in the New York Times Book Review, "Achebe is gloriously gifted with the magic of an ebullient, generous, great talent," and the Sunday Times of London said "Achebe is one of the most distinguished artists to emerge from the West African cultural renaissance of the post-war world."
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/20/23.html
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by HottFunmi: 6:26am On Feb 22, 2008
I am the only person left in the world that is yet to read this book. I think the book is more popular in America than in Nigeria. Since the book is almost 50 years old, why did the world start making so much noise about it over the last decade?

It's a pity the likes of Achebe and Soyinka are aging and will soon be no more, who will replace them? Chimanda Adichie?
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by opokonwa(m): 10:45am On Feb 22, 2008
I have not read that book too.
And it's a shame that I am in Nigeria sad
I wonder how long else he will need to contest before the Nobel prize for literature is handed to him?
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by uchetobi(f): 10:58am On Feb 22, 2008
haba! i cant believe that there are people that have not read things fall apart in Nigerai here
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by doyin13(m): 11:22am On Feb 22, 2008
I knw this is not the literature thread, but I just had to mention the novel 'Anthills of the Savannah'

If you want a quick reader on what makes Achebe so great. . . .just fast forward to the 'speech'
by a certain old man on the importance of the story tellers/journalists in society.

The most powerful piece of writing I have read and I have read a few in my time
even if i say so.
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by almondjoy(f): 12:10pm On Feb 22, 2008
It is a shame that it takes the outside world to recognize we have talented individuals in Africa.

No thanks to Nigerians.  This man would have died earlier than God's plan for him--like everything else about the country! sad

Well, hearty congratulations! Thank God he had the courage to leave with his family when he did.

Let us see if the covenant university and madonna university graduates can do any better!

http://www.gradesaver.com/classicnotes/authors/about_chinua_achebe.html

Imagine a man that studied both literature and MEDICINE at UI--cannot even be well placed in Nigeria. What a shame! cry

Thank God for "abroad"!
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by ndubest(m): 12:20pm On Feb 22, 2008
The Honor is well deserved

Anyone that have not read the book should just walk up to any educational bookshop

Its common and easily available especially in the South East
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by opokonwa(m): 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2008
almondjoy:

It is a shame that it takes the outside world to recognize we have talented individuals in Africa.

No thanks to Nigerians.

Including you. tongue
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by almondjoy(f): 1:38pm On Feb 22, 2008
opokonwa:

Including you. tongue

Agreed! cool
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by HottFunmi: 3:22pm On Feb 22, 2008
Including you.

LMAO
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by Sabisabi: 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2008
I read that book more than 10 times.
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 22, 2008
The novel and its author deserves all this attention cool smiley
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by HottFunmi: 6:45am On Feb 23, 2008
By Doyin13,
I knw this is not the literature thread, but I just had to mention the novel 'Anthills of the Savannah'

[b]If you want a quick reader on what makes Achebe so great. . . .just fast forward to the 'speech'
by a certain old man on the importance of the story tellers/journalists in society.[/b]The most powerful piece of writing I have read and I have read a few in my time
even if i say so.
I heard that his "No longer at Ease" is another thriller comparable to "Things fall Apart".
Re: More Accolades For Achebe by HottFunmi: 6:53am On Feb 23, 2008
The Honor is well deserved

Anyone that have not read the book should just walk up to any educational bookshop

Its common and easily available especially in the South East

You can get it easily from Amazon.

Please, If you've read it, can you write a little synopsis on the book?

(1) (Reply)

Adedibu Is A Saint! - Afenifere, Atiku, Senate, Pdp. / Death By Drowning / How Has The Usa Impacted Your Life , Right Where You Are ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.