Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? (23274 Views)

Why Do People Find It Awkward When I Dance Traditional Music / The Black Man: Unchained Libido And Its Wake Of Destruction. / The Black Man: Unchained Lust And Its Wake Of Distruction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 08, 2013
Django is just a movie that exposes the ills of the american society back then and to those who dont know how tarantino does his stuff,go look at inglorious bastards which was just a way of him portraying the nasty and ugly side of the german nazis and at the same time twist it a little so as to wake up the conciousness in people
white people are mad cos they see a black man taking revenge against slave owners and black people are mad cos they are acting holier than though
the N word was used more than tarantino used it in the movie portraying days of then and like he said in his interview,no one has told him that he is historically wrong in using the word the way it was used then but they are asking him to tone it down so basically asking him to lie about the usage of the word back then and that is what is making people who have not even seen the movie open up and spew rubbish but have not seen the movie
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Samxiulee: 5:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
totalbaby: Black ppl can be hypocrites sometimes. They use the N word in music, movies etc like some kindaa fashion but let a white person try it then it"s a problem
not even sometimes,Mosttimes,imagine they can allow dj khaled to shout N.igger but if the best rapper of all eminem should try it,they will call for his head.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Akiika: 5:52pm On Jan 08, 2013
It is a Moooooovie!!!! common y'all. I have seen so many movies where whites have been depicted as being stupid and gullible. BTW Spike Lee is a d.u.m.b a.ss that is always quick to criticize other people's movie. If he's so aggrieved, he should criticize Samuel Jackson(another loud mouth),Jamie Foxx and Kerry Washington that took roles in the movie. The truth is that we blacks are even more racist....we even do it to ourselves. There is still no justification for the name (BET - Black Entertainment Television) for example.....why didn't the white named ABC, NBC, FOX e.t.c White Entertainment Network or something!
I am not denying the fact that racism exists...but it's a human thing. Imagine if America's situation is in the reverse and the Black are majority...OMG, i'm sure the white will have been an extincted race.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:27pm On Jan 08, 2013
oyb: we must not have been watching the same film - there is enough hinted at - you forget djangos wife was supposed to service his boss - and that scene where they dragged her naked from the box

There is no outright depiction of forced sex. Even Tarantino has enough tact not to show that kind of stuff. I wasn't saying that there weren't hints that that was going on, I was just saying that if there was going to be some female nu.dity it would most likely have been in a context that would have made it unbearable to watch. The scene where she is dragged from the box, you can only see part of one of her bre.asts for a very brief moment - it's not really a "t.itty scene" like pleep was talking about, but actually a torture scene.

seems i don't have much stomach for atrocities - i couldn't finish in the land of blood and honey either

Never saw In the Land of Blood and Honey, but I think I might rent it or something, now that you mention it. It looks interesting.

oddly enough, that hooded scene is historically inaccurate imho, the kk started after the civil war

That might be why it is never explicitly suggested that that group is the actual KKK. They seem to just be some proto-KKK southern raid group that an American audience is supposed to connect with the KKK because of the white masks. There's an implied connection, but at the same time, it is deliberately left vague exactly what that group is.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
Sam xiu lee: Can we blacks get to worry about something better than being called a n.igger?its just a Latin word,meaning black!Arabs, Indians,and mongols are far more racist than white folks,so pls cut them some slacks,a with man fought for eradication of slavery,a white nation Great Britain financed and championed the crusade againt other nations involve in slave trade,a country went into civil war cause of slavery,us civil war,we need to give them some credit.
BTW most slaves were sold into slavery by their fellow blackmen,and its also a fact that,there are more black slave in the Arab world than others.

Nigger has other meanings and connotations that are acknowledged in even the most basic dictionaries, such as meanings associated with a lowly and inferior status. Words evolve over time.

And no, there is nothing to suggest that Arabs, Indians, and 'mongols' are more racist than whites, even if some or all of them are as racist. You have done no studies and have no evidence regarding the degree of racial hostility and hatred among entire racial or cultural groups toward different racial groups so let's not pretend that you have.

Akiika: It is a Moooooovie!!!! common y'all. I have seen so many movies where whites have been depicted as being stupid and gullible. BTW Spike Lee is a d.u.m.b a.ss that is always quick to criticize other people's movie. If he's so aggrieved, he should criticize Samuel Jackson(another loud mouth),Jamie Foxx and Kerry Washington that took roles in the movie. The truth is that we blacks are even more racist....we even do it to ourselves. There is still no justification for the name (BET - Black Entertainment Television) for example.....why didn't the white named ABC, NBC, FOX e.t.c White Entertainment Network or something!
I am not denying the fact that racism exists...but it's a human thing. Imagine if America's situation is in the reverse and the Black are majority...OMG, i'm sure the white will have been an extincted race.

I have to comment on this stuff about "blacks are more racist" especially when you go as far as to claim whites would somehow be extinct if the situation was reversed in America. That's just a bizarre claim. What historical evidence is there of significant discrimination against other races from blacks? Anything you can find would be minor and limited to some obscure occurrence in one brief period of the history of only one black group, at most. Black people anywhere have never historically made a big deal about race prior to interacting with whites. I don't know why some people are so caught up in self-loathing that they can make claims about blacks being more racist. The only black groups where you even find any significant amount of racists - and even then, the overall numbers and the degree of their hatred and racism is actually rather limited - are those black groups that have been exposed to racism (against them, from whites or other groups) to a very significant degree.

There is no Nigerian equivalent of the various racist skinhead groups in parts of Europe, no Nigerian or African political party that really holds positions like those of far right political groups in Europe or the U.S., no majorly black website which is the real equivalent of chimpout or stormfront, and there is not hateful or bigoted racial literature from black racist writers which even begins to rival the worst produced by white racists in terms of volume and severity. I don't know what group is "most racist" in the world, but what I do know is that there is nothing I've seen to suggest that black people are more racist than other groups.

And Spike Lee is not a dumbass. He is a bit obnoxious but the man is certainly talented as a director and his resume definitely speaks to that. Watch Malcolm X, Clockers, He Got Game, Crooklyn, 25th Hour, Inside Man, and Do the Right Thing. Being obnoxious does not somehow negate a person's artistic ability.

Samuel L. Jackson has criticized Spike Lee in the past and I don't know whether the two get along even though Jackson has worked with Lee before on one of his movies, but I think that since Lee has a pre-existing grudge against Tarantino, he would go after the person that really annoys him and the guy that he sees as the brains behind it all or just go after the film in its entirety, rather than the individual actors. Not to say that I agree with his dislike of Tarantino - I actually don't - but there's really just not as much motivation for him to go after the actors.

2 Likes

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by kpolli(m): 8:04pm On Jan 08, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Well, I didn't really get that feeling while I was watching it, but other people might have different feelings entirely.

I definitely don't regret seeing it though. I honestly thought it was the best movie I saw in 2012. Better than Bond, Looper, Total Recall, Argo, Flight or the Dark Knight Rises. I haven't seen The Master, The Hobbit or Lincoln though, but even if some of those are better overall movies, I still think Django would probably still be in the top 3.

Better than Avengers??
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
kpolli:

Better than Avengers??

I actually own that movie on DVD, but haven't got around to watching it, although people who've seen it tell me it's great. It's just sitting there on a shelf with a bunch of other unwatched movies. I'll view it tomorrow and see which movie I consider better.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
I don not think so. It tells us how the society was in the past in America. I think Jamie Fox did a nice job. Interesting movie, if you ask me.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Kairoseki77: 11:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
somalia9: i SAW the movie. I left half way into the movie. I was upset and angry that i could not have slaves. Why are black people walking around free? why i ask you why?

SLAVERY NEEDS TO COMEBACK.

Maybe you should work on Somalia first. Having no government is a problem.

By the way, Barack Obama shot two Somalis in the head for hijacking an American boat. Good for him.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 08, 2013
I saw it yesterday night and I don't think the use of the word "Nigger" was inappropriate, to be honest... It's a depiction of slavery, what else do you want them to use?? undecided

People need to look beyond the use of the word and focus on the story and what AAs went through during that dark period... I got emotional whilst watching it - and it actually made me rate the tenacity of AAs and their history... Those people went through a lot and they survived against all odds to be where they're today...

Damn!! The uncle tom in that movie pissed me off loooool... I'll go against all the critics and say bravo to Quentin Tarantino for making Django the hero in the movie...

2 Likes

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Moschino26(m): 12:12am On Jan 09, 2013
ℓ think d movie was cool. D n-word doesnt mean a thing
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 09, 2013
finally finished it

far too much actor no dey die jare

my suspension of disbelief limit was exceeded in the first gunfight where they kept hitting the human shield and missing django - the guy didn't even get a scratch
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by KateSpade(f): 1:51am On Jan 09, 2013
I enjoyed it. As I usually do Tarantino films.

I've been living in the South for too long cuz clearly all the times "nigger" was said did not affect me at all or did I notice they said it so many times. The movie is set during slavery of course they are going to use racial pejoratives.

Its very race to see a popular movie with an African-American lead saving his African-American wife, no matter the setting (slavery or not). Tarantino took a chance as he usual does.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 3:16am On Jan 09, 2013
Minister Louis Farrakhan breaks down "Django" in this interview with Dr. Boyce Watkins!! - deep shyte and those were exactly my thoughts after watching the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUiJMidielo

Interesting stuff!
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 3:43am On Jan 09, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Are some aspects of reality and history like this sometimes "too awkward" and unsettling to be depicted in movies?

Spike Lee seems to be put off by the entire film and by the use of the n word in some of Tarantino's films more generally. Do you (pleep, or anyone else) agree with his perspective on the movie?

To other posters that have seen the movie, particularly anyone descended from African American slaves, were you offended by the movie in some way and/or was it awkward to watch?

No sir it's just a fucccking movie! Yea way too many N word. I was surprised the day I went to see the movie with my girlfriend at one of the AMC theaters LA 75% of folks in there was white folks. Maybe they came to laugh at niggas lol! Nice movie tho! Samuel L J
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 3:47am On Jan 09, 2013
Excuse me while i step across this Uncle Tom Who Just Wrote that Bullshit Above.

The Question must be asked since the MLF Video was Posted....

Why are Lightskin Black Brothers Seemingly on Average so much more Pro Black and Into Black Consciousness more than Dark Skin Black Men.

.....Interesting Paradox To say the Least
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 3:50am On Jan 09, 2013
REALITY101:

No sir it's just a fucccking movie! Yea way too many N word. I was surprised the day I went to see the movie with my WHITE girlfriend at one of the AMC theaters LA 75% of folks in there was white folks. Maybe they came to laugh at niggas lol! Nice movie tho! Samuel L J

Fixed cool
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 09, 2013
Blacks in general waste too much time with discussions on the Word Niqqer

It seems Blacks Primarily outside of Africa, often only discuss race when the Word Niqqer is oozing out of the mouths of White Men.

I didn't find the word Offensive at all

However, In my Opinion Quentin Tar, has a fetish with that Word though

I can recall him spitting it in Pulp Fiction during that "Do you think my House Says Dead Niqqer Storage" Line...when they blew my man brains out in the car

I guess one could surmise this man may be a closet racist, solely off usage of that word and his fetish.

To me, It's no Big Deal.

Whites have been exploiting Blacks and Black Ignorance by means of Lucrative Gains for Years.

And Continue to do so, even when the word Niqqer is Removed from the Discussion.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Plarp: 4:02am On Jan 09, 2013
@ all this is pleep again... that coon a$$ nigger bytch Murkina banned me for like a yr for making a racist thread about Asians. asians

Thats the problem with Africans, we can laugh at racism directed towards us #django Unchained (great movie btw) but w/e a black person says something racist about another group our fuckin balls get unsettled. Thats the same stupidity that got us enslaved.

Either we get a hissy fit about something silly like the 'N' word or we coon for acceptance, both are caused by an inferiority complex

Peace wink

1 Like

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:04am On Jan 09, 2013
Viewing this topic: pleep(m), Plarp, all4naija(m), الملكي فوق الله and 2 guest(s)

All4Naija has entered the Thread, I expect some resemblance of some sort of Neo-Cooonery to emerge shortly.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Plarp: 4:07am On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: Blacks in general waste too much time with discussions on the Word Niqqer

It seems Blacks Primarily outside of Africa, often only discuss race when the Word Niqqer is oozing out of the mouths of White Men.

I didn't find the word Offensive at all

However, In my Opinion Quentin Tar, has a fetish with that Word though

I can recall him spitting it in Pulp Fiction during that "Do you think my House Says Dead Niqqer Storage" Line...when they blew my man brains out in the car

I guess one could surmise this man may be a closet racist, solely off usage of that word and his fetish.

To me, It's no Big Deal.

Whites have been exploiting Blacks and Black Ignorance by means of Lucrative Gains for Years.

And Continue to do so, even when the word Niqqer is Removed from the Discussion.

Just about every white person is a racist, its human nature so that point is not up for discussion. But yea, thats what i was thinking about earlier, tarantino clearly gets a kick out of using the 'N' word. he just throws it in his movies when its not even needed.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: Viewing this topic: pleep(m), Plarp, all4naija(m), الملكي فوق الله and 2 guest(s)

All4Naija has entered the Thread, I expect some resemblance of some sort of Neo-Cooonery to emerge shortly.
@ all,excuse me please!

You Arab goon can suck my d**k if you like, NIGGA!
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: Viewing this topic: pleep(m), Plarp, all4naija(m), الملكي فوق الله and 2 guest(s)

@ all,excuse me please!

You Arab goon can suck my d**k if you like, NIGGA!
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:14am On Jan 09, 2013
Plarp: Just about every white person is a racist, its human nature so that point is not up for discussion. But yea, thats what i was thinking about earlier, tarantino clearly gets a kick out of using the 'N' word. he just throws it in his movies when its not even needed.

And keep in mind...when he spit that "Do you think my Garage says dead niqqer storage" Line...

This was about...1994/1995.....

At that time...the country was much less racially liberal with Old White Pervs just Blurting Anything Out.

That was a damn good movie though.....

I think All Humans for the Most part are Racist.

White Men just seem to possess the Shrewd Cunning Ways to always Capitalize off of it.

Especially when it comes to Lucrative Financial Gains.

As seen...with this Guys Films

There are an Overwhelming amount Blacks in a "Rush" to jump in front of a camera and Say...

...."Ohhh Noooo Mr Massa Quentin Sure aints no Racist"

..."Massa Quentin Pays Me Gooddd"........

Aye but like i said...This "Exploitation" Bullshit takes place all the time yet we only pay attention when the word Niqqer is Used.

Just the other day, im sitting there watching the Nba

And at Half Time..

These Three fuccking Coonz...Charles Barkley..Kenney Smith and Shaq...

Are making Jokes...calling this White Man Ernie Johnson "Boss".....

I said look at these silly little Negroids.....

The Black Man Sure Loves it when that white man asserts his authoritative boot right across their throats.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeTa8IazIH0

It did not even Stop Here....^

They Continued to call him Boss and Boss and Boss later on During Inside the Nba Post Game

The Shitt Was Disgraceful

And im not even gonna talk about Shaq Rubbing the sweat off Ernie Johnson Head one day.....

Chad Johnson..Former NFL Wide Receiver...

Do you know what he called the Commissioner of the NFL?

"Dad"....

What a Fuqqing Clown

Black Men continue to Coon..and Coon and Cooon for infinite times....

What the hell is with those Nigerian Men walking around with Blonde Wigs?

It seems we are more interested as a People Discussing when white men use the word niqqer, then the actual cooning of our own people.

These Examples Above never saw no where near the controversy that This Guy's movie gets.

Do you know why?

Because the Media Purposely does this.....So Whites can continue to make lucrative gains on "Racism" discussions By Black Fools.

Where is the Outcry for a 7 foot 380 pound black man rubbing an old white man's head and Calling Him Boss on National Television?!!?!?!?!? grin

1 Like

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Plarp: 4:39am On Jan 09, 2013
Niggas is stupid thats all there is too it.

Honestly the only reason we make such a big fuss about racism is because we want acceptance, thats the only reason . It not to better our people, we just want massa to like us more.

Think A.As are bad africans are 10 times worse... typical African Nigga will call a chink boss man just for yelling at him.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Plarp: 4:42am On Jan 09, 2013
NBA and NFL is just cooz galore....but i think college football is the most coonish. Those dumbasses make millions for white folks for no pay, yet bend over backwards to kiss a$$. Modern day slaves
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:50am On Jan 09, 2013
African Americans Probably Are Worse...

After All...Look at this Idiiott Reality.

Shucking and Jiving for Mitt Romney and Calling Obama a Welfare President..

Not to Mention how dude went to the Movies with his Cracker Girlfriend Jamie just to sit in the Theaters with a Bunch of White Folks Laughing at The Word Niqqer being Used 860 times in One of QT's bizarre Negro Fetish Imagery Tales.

I can't stand these fuqqing Coons.

If Race Exist then I am on a Team with a Bunch of Bums! LmL cool

A Bunch of Ignorant Illiterate Bums.

Between Shaq And Barkley Calling Ernie Boss..and Reality telling tales about his trip with his White Boyfriend where a Bunch of Crackers Were Laughing in the Movies at these Silly Black Exploitation Films that QT has a Fetish for....

I am in no position to Deny my Country is Harboring the most World Renowned Prolifically Ignorant Cooons in all of the Globe.

Silly Fuqqing Coons I tell Ya.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Nobody: 4:56am On Jan 09, 2013
Aye Reality, get in here and tell us more stories about how your Cracker Boyfriend Mathew sat in the Movie theaters with you and Laughed in your Face every time a Caucasoid used the Word Niqqer.

Popcorn Flying out the Crackers Mouth onto your Bottom Lip, And you just let it sit there you worthless cooon, because you were too scared to remove your masters chewed corn and saliva from your self hating negroid lip without receiving his Permission.

1 Like

Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by Ignatio(m): 6:32am On Jan 09, 2013
The dolls are out.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:04am On Jan 09, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Since you haven't watched it, you could have at least tried using a search engine to try to find out what pleep was referring to when he mentioned the masks in the movie. That way you would have had some idea of what we were talking about. The masks thing that pleep and I referred to has nothing to do with what slaves wore. The scene we were referring to was a deliberately comic scene meant to make a certain violent hate group look more silly and ridiculous.

And I didn't watch it in Nigeria, I watched it in the U.S. It premiered in Europe only a day ago, several days after it was first shown in the U.S., and I don't think it has been shown in Nigeria yet: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/djangounchained/releasedates/

who is this loon? I saw the movie Christmas Day, the day it came out. I never said you watched it in Nigeria, my comment was against NIGERIAN mentality in general. KKK wore sacs on their heads, not masks btw.
Re: Django Unchained = Inappropriate And Awkward? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:06am On Jan 09, 2013
Plarp:
Think A.As are bad africans are 10 times worse... typical African Nigga will call a chink boss man just for yelling at him.

True. Africans are embarrassing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Undergoes Spiritual Cleansing In A River To Become A Chief In Bayelsa.Photos / Opinion: Personalities Of An HAUSA/IGBO/YORUBA Man(the Good And Bad Sides) / Oba Of Benin Is Alive -traditional Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.