Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,215 members, 7,780,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:39 PM

Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? (15782 Views)

A Thread For Good Movies That Are Not Popular. / ***~~~Good Movies With Stupid/terrible Endings~~~*** / Good Movies You've Seen So Far In 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 2:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
Briareos:

My script must be so bad that its taking you a century to finish.

If I don't finish reading it by this weekend then you have every right with all wtnesses here to never talk to me again. *Gulp* - I must stick to my word this time, or I am in big trouble!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 2:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
speedyboi:

Please do watch it. It was officially released on DVD; 3rd December, last year. I want to know if you will notice what I noticed...lol

Ok but it's gonna take a while because shipping from US to UK always takes ages.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
semid4lyfe: Speedyboi, I dey vex for you o

You posted that Ije was out on DVD and I went to one of the advertised outlets to get a copy and it cost me N700 instead of N500. Oya, come refund me my N200

Yet to watch it but I hope to do so before month end. . . .

@ Briares, no vex. . .will still get in touch

Lol....I also got mine 650 oooo....I accuse them on bbm and they were saying.....I don't know
Do watch it too sha smiley

VillageBoi:

Ok but it's gonna take a while because shipping from US to UK always takes ages.
But its even easier to get Nollywood movies in the UK. That's the reason I didn't bother posting. Well.....
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 6:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
speedyboi: But its even easier to get Nollywood movies in the UK. That's the reason I didn't bother posting. Well.....

You get UK website make I buy am now, now?
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

You get UK website make I buy am now, now?

Lemme find out & confirm
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 7:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
speedyboi:

Lemme find out & confirm

No worries, Amazon has it for 7-day streaming @ $2.99. Will try that, hope it doesn't say 'Not available in your region'.

EDIT: Just as I thought, can't veiw if in the UK.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Originalsly: 7:22am On Jan 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

Originalsy thank you very much for taking the time to view my 3 shorts. You're actually the first person to talk about them in the order they were made which is cool to note as it's also the history of me picking up bits of equipment here and there. I'm glad you found 'Rock The Boat' interesting - it was born out of boredom and I only had a stills camera at the time so I wondered what could I do with a load of photogarphs that might be interesting?

'Une Clope' was next thing I shot after I bought a DSLR camera capable of video. Born out of a buch of friends from down the pub wanting to do something - the guy & girl in the film are real-life boyfriend and girlfriend. And yes the language was 'mmmm' lol.

Next was 'Sweet Sixteen' with me wanting to do Nigerian things. You are right about the daydreaming or was he mad direction. You did miss the 'key in the relationship that tells us exaclty who the girl is' it's in there, I think a couple of times, I'm sure you'll see it when you watch it again. It also is an open-ended film in which I want the audience to decide what they have just seen instead of the regular everything-must-be-explained-nollywood-style of story telling. Also glad you liked the girl, it was the first time she acted and she did so well.

Again, thank you for viewing them and commenting. I really appreciate it.
Somehow... when I watched Une Clope I must confess I didn't think it was yours! To me it was the best! Both the guy and girl looked and played their roles very well.... actually I thought they were professional actors. Keep them close! ....and the girl in Sweet Sixteen! The guy in Sweet Sixteen hmmm....typical dime a dozen Nollywood actor!.... he can go! I like the camera work in Une Clope......the film just flowed...to me close ups etc were all on point! In Sweet Sixteen hmmm....were you shooting during an earthquake?... or just back from the pub? Lol.I say no more! On the story in Sweet Sixteen....it shouldn't be like a puzzle.....we should get it the first time. You did great with what you have.......and that's my problem with Nollywood....they can do 1000 times better with what they have. Am looking forward to seeing more of your works and see you progress!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 10:54am On Jan 10, 2013
Originalsly: Somehow... when I watched Une Clope I must confess I didn't think it was yours! To me it was the best! Both the guy and girl looked and played their roles very well.... actually I thought they were professional actors. Keep them close! ....and the girl in Sweet Sixteen! The guy in Sweet Sixteen hmmm....typical dime a dozen Nollywood actor!.... he can go! I like the camera work in Une Clope......the film just flowed...to me close ups etc were all on point! In Sweet Sixteen hmmm....were you shooting during an earthquake?... or just back from the pub? Lol.I say no more! On the story in Sweet Sixteen....it shouldn't be like a puzzle.....we should get it the first time. You did great with what you have.......and that's my problem with Nollywood....they can do 1000 times better with what they have. Am looking forward to seeing more of your works and see you progress!

Hey, you're right - of the bulk of the little narrative stuff I've done I also think Une Clope came out the best - kinda what happens when everyone involved has some experience in filmmaking or studied film or is really dedicated to the project. The guy & gal are pro actors despite being a real couple... the girl did a good French accent even though she is as English as they come. *Note* it was shot for three days basically for free as we only paid for transportation and feeding the crew. Oh and we hired a couple of lenses as I had only bought one at the time.

Sweet Sixteen hmmmm that is my love/hate child teehee. There is a saying in film "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" Sweet Sixteen was just that... issue upon error upon issue upon error! I hated it so much that I was never ever going to put it online. I love it now because I learnt the hard way about a million errors NEVER to make again. In defence of the film I will say I think the story is still the best bit of it; almost everyone got it first time that the girl is actually his mother and it's all happening in his, possibly mental, head.

First mistake was me going ultra-patriotic; everything had to be Nigerian/black/African from location to cast & crew - fair enough, that can be done but never ever with people that do not have experience because you will spend all your time babysitting instead of carrying out you own role! Everyone was a first-timer apart from lead male, sound guy & lighting guy - and they were all just awful lol.

Next issue - we had the location for 3 days of shooting. Actually we should have had it for 3 days, the owner travelled and when we arrived to shoot on-ground-powers-that-be turned it into 5 hours - yup, all that was done in just 5 hrs. 2 hrs on day one and 3hrs on day two. As the director and person in charge I should have said "Thank you everyone for turning up, we can't do a good job in 5hrs, you can all go home and 'maybe' in the future we might shoot this film." But I did not say that - It is not by force to make a film if the conditions are not right. That turned it into a kpa, kpa, kpa old Nollywood style rush, rush job - disgraceful behavior. The film visuals are generally bland, static, not dynamic at all and the lighting is cr.ap. To complete it in 5hrs I knew I had to sacrifice all the camera work I had visualised in my head, the 'look' of the film and that really sucked. It falls way, way, way below my expectations.

Oh my, did you notice that not one bit of sound in the film is from the 'set'? The 'sound guy' that claimed all this experience here and there with online links to work that really wasn't his didn't even know how to operate the recorder. Why, why, why did he not just say that right there on set and I could hane given him a crash-course, as well as, made doubly sure for evey take? Ahhhhhhh stress man!! All the 'dialogue' you hear in the film is ADR done in my room. Basically, do the edit that can never be changed again, bring in the actors one at a time, play a clip over and over again until they can mimic the mouth movement then get them to say it a few times - ah, one of those voice recordings must try match nah, abi? lol. I still gave him the credit in the film in but both producers refused and I had to change it.

I no vex again. The end product is what I managed to salvage from the mess this turned out to be. I'm glad I did learn soooo much and for the cast & crew at least they have something to show for their effort. I'm actually really glad at least one person thought it was sh*t cos I do too.

Filmmaking is hard, good filmmaking is even harder. I always respect people 100% just for the 'effort'. Everyone makes mistakes, we just have to learn, grow and move on to the next thing. I have another short to make when the weather warms up - yup, it's a Nigeria film too. Wish me luck, it has zero dialogue, a few tricky shots and effects I'm yet to figure out how to do. In my head it looks good but we'll see how far when I actually shoot it. The actors & the music is what will make or break it. One other thing is it's an easier pill to swallow making & learning mistakes on a short film grin

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by ignis: 11:58am On Jan 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

I strongly disagree with you.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 3:31pm On Jan 10, 2013
ignis:
I strongly disagree with you.

Howcome? Things I've bought from even China have always arrived yonks quicker than items from the US.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by omar22(m): 4:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
This movie is up for an Oscar in 2 months time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKXEh_kfPCY
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Briareos(m): 8:17pm On Jan 12, 2013
VillageBoi:

If I don't finish reading it by this weekend then you have every right with all wtnesses here to never talk to me again. *Gulp* - I must stick to my word this time, or I am in big trouble!

Its weekend already. grin
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 8:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
Briareos:

I'm actually reading it right now wink
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
@Villageboi. You can watch the movie on their site
http://www.ijethemovie.com/

I tried my best finding out from friends, But no one knows where to get it. I guess I was wrong then grin. If you hate streaming then maybe you'd have to ask them on their fb page
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:05pm On Jan 12, 2013
speedyboi: @Villageboi. You can watch the movie on their site
http://www.ijethemovie.com/

I tried my best finding out from friends, But no one knows where to get it. I guess I was wrong then grin. If you hate streaming then maybe you'd have to ask them on their fb page

Thank you so much, I'll watch it once I finish this script... or my head will be on the chopping block grin
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:10pm On Jan 13, 2013
Briareos:
...And as promised, far too long ago, I have now read your script. Will get back to you via email.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
speedyboi: @Villageboi.........have you watched ije? If you have, please tell me what you think....before I bear my mind

Speedyboi, thanks a lot for the link that works worldwide... that was a good find.

I watched the film last night. With all honesty, I didn't really like it that much... could be a number of factors - I had 165pages to read, the playback was jerky (not fault of the filmmakers but the site probably), some of the story was just not realistic, Genny's character was a nosey ITK annoying angry chick, the law case sucked, it wasn't exciting at all... not that I know much about it but it didn't seem too well 'researched'. And another big gripe is just a 'Nollywood' thing - it seems women suffer only two types of trauma ever. Either hubby dies and his family throw you out on the street or it's ra.pe - 'Nollywood' can't think pass those two things? And I absolutely hate characters that are such 'smart a$$es' when it's not really what the character is meant to be.
The cinematography and the sound was very good. Generally it was an ok film 6/10.

So what is the thing that I missed? I was meant to notice something.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
VillageBoi:

Speedyboi, thanks a lot for the link that works worldwide... that was a good find.

I watched the film last night. With all honesty, I didn't really like it that much... could be a number of factors - I had 165pages to read, the playback was jerky (not fault of the filmmakers but the site probably), some of the story was just not realistic, Genny's character was a nosey ITK annoying angry chick, the law case sucked, it wasn't exciting at all... not that I know much about it but it didn't seem too well 'researched'. And another big gripe is just a 'Nollywood' thing - it seems women suffer only two types of trauma ever. Either hubby dies and his family throw you out on the street or it's ra.pe - 'Nollywood' can't think pass those two things? And I absolutely hate characters that are such 'smart a$$es' when it's not really what the character is meant to be.
The cinematography and the sound was very good. Generally it was an ok film 6/10.

So what is the thing that I missed? I was meant to notice something.

God bless you! You observed right!
Except the playback issues and genny's character, I agree with everything else. Plus; I also think the story is not deep and very 'on the surface'. Then it has some stereotypical stuffs about africa which we shouldn't be seeing in a Nollywood movie.

All in all, I think its a nice movie though. The quality couldn't have been better, I just have problem with the story; I don't feel it!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 5:42pm On Jan 14, 2013
speedyboi:

God bless you! You observed right!
Except the playback issues and genny's character, I agree with everything else. Plus; I also think the story is not deep and very 'on the surface'. Then it has some stereotypical stuffs about africa which we shouldn't be seeing in a Nollywood movie.

All in all, I think its a nice movie though. The quality couldn't have been better, I just have problem with the story; I don't feel it!

It 'looks' & 'sounds' beautiful but that's about it for the film. You are right about the story not being deep; it's so one-dimensional. There are a few other niggles here and there but I can't really be bothered to watch it agian to remember what they were... if I hadn't paid for it I wouldn't have completed watching it the first time.
Having said that, ALL of the 'new' Nollywood films still show progress and I think things will just keep getting better. I still say 'Story is King' and our main problem now is in the 'writing'. Writing 'well' is so, so difficult... but we'll get there.

I'm still trying to find out more info on a US film by a Nigerian Director that is having it's world premiere at Sundance this year... I can't find the trailer. It's called 'Mother of George' by Andrew Dosunmu -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INs_2ZQcOM&list=PL0A08253F96CBDB50&index=11

Please, please do find & watch 'Beasts of the Southern Wild'.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
VillageBoi:

It 'looks' & 'sounds' beautiful but that's about it for the film. You are right about the story not being deep; it's so one-dimensional. There are a few other niggles here and there but I can't really be bothered to watch it agian to remember what they were... if I hadn't paid for it I wouldn't have completed watching it the first time.
Having said that, ALL of the 'new' Nollywood films still show progress and I think things will just keep getting better. I still say 'Story is King' and our main problem now is in the 'writing'. Writing 'well' is so, so difficult... but we'll get there.

I'm still trying to find out more info on a US film by a Nigerian Director that is having it's world premiere at Sundance this year... I can't find the trailer. It's called 'Mother of George' by Andrew Dosunmu -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INs_2ZQcOM&list=PL0A08253F96CBDB50&index=11

Please, please do find & watch 'Beasts of the Southern Wild'.

I think the story is a good one. The plot is just not well developed; hence a very weak plot.
The problem with most nollywood films (before good productions & after) is plot. They don't develop awesome plot (part of script writing) & Which is relevant to a universal audience. Sometimes I just watch a movie(especially the poor flicks) and I'm like 'what a nice story, but poorly told'. But I believe, the same nollywood that overcame production challenges will definitely ovércome the other challenges smiley
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 1:20am On Jan 15, 2013
speedyboi:
I think the story is a good one. The plot is just not well developed; hence a very weak plot.
The problem with most nollywood films (before good productions & after) is plot. They don't develop awesome plot (part of script writing) & Which is relevant to a universal audience. Sometimes I just watch a movie(especially the poor flicks) and I'm like 'what a nice story, but poorly told'. But I believe, the same nollywood that overcame production challenges will definitely ovércome the other challenges smiley

I just found out this is from a first-time filmmaker. That completely changes my view and makes me like it much, much more than I initially did. The issues we spoke about remain the same, especially the plot point you mentioned. Great effort from a first-timer.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by lynx200(m): 9:00am On Jan 15, 2013
I think the trend is changing though so slowly. Many Nigerians have lost hope in expecting good quality in any Nigerian product and so they make do with anything(We go manage am sha). It's up to the filmmakers to raise their consciousness by doing it right.(Apple doesn't ask the customers what they want as they don't even know at that point in time but they create great products that resonate with a lot of people) There are new films coming out in Nigerian cinemas today that illustrate this fact. I went to watch Rita Dominics [b]THE MEETING[/b]at the cinemas and I must commend the story telling by Tunde Babalola and Mildred Okwo. They stayed true to the Nigerian Ethos throughout but gave it good packaging. Has anybody else seen the film?
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:13am On Jan 15, 2013
lynx200: I went to watch Rita Dominics [b]THE MEETING[/b]at the cinemas and I must commend the story telling by Tunde Babalola and Mildred Okwo. They stayed true to the Nigerian Ethos throughout but gave it good packaging. Has anybody else seen the film?

That is another film I'm badly waiting to see. It will do the cinema rounds here but not yet sure when.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Briareos(m): 9:19am On Jan 15, 2013
VillageBoi:

That is another film I'm badly waiting to see. It will do the cinema rounds here but not yet sure when.

Goodmorning VB, still waiting for that mail.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 10:05am On Jan 15, 2013
VillageBoi:

Same here.....together with Dr bello & streets of calabar.
I watched the making of Dr bello & I love it. I read the sypnosis ånd I fell in love more. Its an adventure movie...but through the sypnosis, it looks like a premiere of an african version of Sci fi genre grin. I'm aching to see Dr bello. If anyone has seen it, abeg yarn me
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by omar22(m): 2:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
I rest my case. But who use to authorize dis movies for airplay? The thing is becoming a national embarrassment

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 20, 2013
sholay2011: OMG! My thread got to the FP! This is a new year gift for me! I am very grateful for this, mods. I also thank my parents who have been in support of my nairaland endeavours, through thick and thin; God bless.

My friends who have always encouraged to keep creating topics- both meaningful and the less meaningful ones that with the hope of one getting to front page one day.

Finally, I thank my darling who whispered to me that 2013 is my year of excellence. It's nice that the excellence starts from here.

God,Oh God....Nna na wa oo...... U really need acknowledgement!! ROTFL grin
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by semid4lyfe(m): 7:54pm On Feb 14, 2013
Finished watching IJE: The Journey this afternoon so I had to revive this thread to post my comments.

# Genny's delivery & acting wasn't the best *euphemism*. It's like she isn't comfortable expressing herself in English. She didn't flow and sounded scripted and rehearsed to me like she was trying hard to remember her lines.

# Omotola's performance was better and more convincing. Still, the best Nigerian performances IMO were the girls who played Genny & Omo-T at a young age and Clem Ohaneze who played their father.

# Transitioning between scenes wasn't always smooth and it was a bit jarring in some instances.

# The Court-room dialogue and drama which ought to have been the highlight of the movie, spiced it up and brought the movie to life sucked big-time. Arguments of both sides were weak and unconvincing. Murder trials are always explosive stuff, fun & exciting to watch but this wasn't. . . .

It didn't even look & sound like an American court trial as some of the "lingo" and expression of the characters was "UnAmerican". Well, maybe na becos I don too watch Boston Legal, The Practice, Suits and other Law Dramas and the portrayal of US court trials in these TV Dramas is exaggerated and unreal.

Overall, it's a good movie in terms of production quality but it had weak story, poor dialogue, was characterized by not too good performances AND it was paced too damn slow. I couldn't help looking at the run-timer while watching it.

5/10

*The making of the movie is far more interesting than the movie itself. Also, I love Chineze's voice. It's husky cool*
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
^^^^^^^

@Semid all this while undecided .....
Well, Thank God I'm not the only one in this. You all confirmed my observations (atleast most of your points tally with mine)

What I want us to note however is that, we are all judging this movie on a world standard criteria.... Unlike the alaba movies that can't even be judged based on any standard available on earth cheesy
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 11:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
Yeah Semid, you've said it straight up as it is.

speedyboi: ^^^^^^^
What I want us to note however is that, we are all judging this movie on a world standard criteria.... Unlike the alaba movies that can't even be judged based on any standard available on earth cheesy

You know what? I think it is rightly being judged by a world standard criteria... there should never be anything else to judge any of our films by. Let's bring in the era of no more excuses ever again... afterall 'the world' will not judge a Nigerian medical doctor by a babalawo standard just because he is from Africa. Nigerians are amongst the top medical practitioners in the world.
Our filmmakers must step up or step off the grid. Period!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 14, 2013
REMOVED
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 15, 2013
REMOVED

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Lifts Injunction On “okafor’s Law” Movie, To Show In Cinemas Tomorrow / Your Favourite And Most Hated TV Adverts? / Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.