Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It (69805 Views)

Is The Sentence 'HE'S A GAY' Gramatically Correct? ? / Correct Your Common Pronunciation Errors HERE II / How To Write Correct Contract Approved Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by akhis: 3:54pm On Jan 02, 2013
Fellow NL, We all do hear it when some one gives birth and we will say, such person has "put to bed". Is this really correct? Gurus in the house, please confirm this because i have not seen it in the dictionary or is it "Nigeria English?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by timilehin007(m): 3:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
How about ' delivered of a baby..?

2 Likes

Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by Afam4eva(m): 4:05pm On Jan 02, 2013
The English dictionary is made up of words and not phrases. So, you shouldn't expect to see "Put to bed" in it.

1 Like

Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by akhis: 4:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
afam4eva: The English dictionary is made up of words and not phrases. So, you shouldn't expect to see "Put to bed" in it.

Even at that, some phrases that been used as this, come up under explanations in the dictionary. I just want someone to analyses and confirm if its right to use.
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by Afam4eva(m): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2013
akhis:

Even at that, some phrases that been used as this, come up under explanations in the dictionary. I just want someone to analyses and confirm if its right to use.

It may not have been correct decades ago but today, it's a right thing to say.
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by KayDee4: 4:19pm On Jan 02, 2013
akhis: Fellow NL, We all do hear it when some one gives birth and we will say, such person has "put to bed". Is this really correct? Gurus in the house, please confirm this because i have not seen it in the dictionary or is it "Nigeria English?
"put to bed" has always sounded funny to me cos it literally means putting someone to sleep. I don't think it's correct formal english to be used in the context of giving birth.

timilehin007: How about ' delivered of a baby..?
"delivered of a baby" is correct but seems more to imply assistance in giving birth like a CS or something.
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by LynxEyed(m): 4:20am On Nov 07, 2013
The correct expression is & has always been, "put to birth".

Put to bed basically means to put to rest or to conclude. For example, to end an argument by providing incontrovertible proof or to successfully complete a task or to get someone to sleep.
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by dasparrow: 8:59am On Nov 07, 2013
akhis: Fellow NL, We all do hear it when some one gives birth and we will say, such person has "put to bed". Is this really correct? Gurus in the house, please confirm this because i have not seen it in the dictionary or is it "Nigeria English?

It is Nigerian English because I have never heard an American say that a woman has put to bed. Instead, they will say that Veronica has had her baby or Veronica has just given birth to a cute baby girl. If you go to places like the UK, USA or Canada and tell those people there that a lady has put to bed, they will not understand what the heck you mean by that and they will look at you weird as if you have grown 2 heads. So, its best to say a lady has given birth to a baby girl or a baby boy.

3 Likes

Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by Melafechy: 10:10am On May 06, 2017
akhis:
Fellow NL, We all do hear it when some one gives birth and we will say, such person has "put to bed". Is this really correct? Gurus in the house, please confirm this because i have not seen it in the dictionary or is it "Nigeria English?

put to bed is correct, I was thought that English when I was a jambite.. so I feel it's correct

1 Like

Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by argob44(f): 6:43pm On May 22, 2017
[quote author=akhis post=13647637]

[/quote its an idiom
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by comelyJummy(f): 8:29pm On May 22, 2017
It is an idiomatic expression. Very correct sir

2 Likes

Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by reachdayo: 10:11pm On Sep 17, 2018
That happens to be Nigerian English.(put to bed)..unfortunately people are even making it worse using "put to birth".
Put to bed means to help a child or adult to sleep,to bring a situation to an end,to prepare a newspaper for printing,to dispel. NOT HAVING A BABY.
SIGH!!!!!
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by simplyshade: 12:07am On Jun 05, 2020
My grandmother also confirmed that it is correct. In fact, all of my lecturers said the same thing that it is correct cheesy
Melafechy:

put to bed is correct, I was thought that English when I was a jambite.. so I feel it's correct
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by SoldierPikin: 7:18pm On Jul 10, 2020
Put to birth means delivered a baby. It is a bit outdated. Just say she had a baby or delivered a baby to eliminate all confusion.

If you say put to bed outside of Nigeria, they will just give you a confused look.
Re: For A Woman "Put To Bed" As Given Birth. How Correct Is It by SoldierPikin: 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2020
LynxEyed:
The correct expression is & has always been, "put to birth".

Put to bed basically means to put to rest or to conclude. For example, to end an argument by providing incontrovertible proof or to successfully complete a task or to get someone to sleep.

correct.

(1) (Reply)

Young Authors of Nigeria (YAN) -Join Now! / Matrimony Of Secrets / Roses And Thorns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.