Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,380 members, 7,800,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... (12430 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Can You Change Your Present Religion For $50.....??? / Religion For Atheists. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2013
Music icon, Mr. Bongos Ikwue, has
called for the banning of religion in
the country and the whole of Africa if
the continent must make any
meaningful progress.
Ikwue, who will turn 71 in June,
believes that too much attachment to
religion promotes laziness.
An engineer, who combines music
with property development, Ikwue
said he felt that Nigerians often insult
God when they ask for “daily bread”
from Him.
Speaking with our correspondent in
Oturkpo, Benue State, on Sunday, the
septuagenarian argued that God had
already offered everyone Daily Bread
by giving them the intellect to create
ideas and work.
He said, “I believe in God. But, I
totally disbelieve in religion, I will like
to play down religion. If I had my
way, I would ban religion completely
from Africa for the continent to make
progress.”
Ikwue suggested that the first
pronouncement of any serious
government should be to ban
religion.
He said, “If it rained, you didn’t go to
the farm but went to church; at the
end of church service you pray and
say give us this day our Daily Bread.
You are insulting God.
“There is no year when harmattan
does not change to rainy season. God
requires no man to remind him and
He has never failed to do his duty.
But, after it rained and dried up, you
didn’t go to farm, you are asking God
for food. He will laugh at your
stupidity.
“There is no day that the sun will not
rise and set. I believe in a God that
has expressed Himself clearly; he has
never failed. Every year, all the
mangoes will fruit in their time
throughout the entire country.
“There has never come a time when
it is time for them to fruit and they
don’t fruit. But, look at you black
man; you are unable to pluck these
mangoes. You take a stone trying to
pluck one and you pluck 16 unripe
ones.
“They will waste because you are not
using your head. Give us this day our
Daily Bread; He gave you Daily Bread
and you wasted it.”
The musician, who has just released
14 out of his new 45-track album,
Wulu Wulu, said, “too much talking
instead of working” would get
Nigeria nowhere.
He said, “Those who said God spoke
to them had lied to you; you became
gullible and fell victim. You deserve
what you are getting because you are
not using your head; they are going
to take all your money.
“Don’t go give a cheque of N300m to a
church and expect that God is so
happy and clapping because He has
not seen money. So, money will take
me to heaven or it is meant to stop on
this earth?
“Those who will not listen to people
like me will pay the price; they will
remain gullible and the price is
remain in your poverty because you
are not thinking or using your head.”
He added, “The banning of religion
will not take God out of existence but
it will take distractive people out of
our lives. Can you imagine how
many times people go to places of
worship in a week? They go to listen
and contribute nothing.
“They don’t even raise their hands to
ask questions; it is a university you
never graduate from for the rest of
your life. The amount of waste in
terms of human power is a lot, if you
quantify it.
“I need for the government to become
bold and take religion out of itself
completely. Why pay for people to go
to Jerusalem and Mecca? The Jews
who collect this money in their
country invest it there, don’t they?
“Roads and schools can only be built
by money, not prayers. Why are you
giving people this money for air
tickets to go and pray in Mecca or
Jerusalem when you can use it to
build the roads?”
Link: www.punchng.com/news/ban-religion-if-nigeria-must-progress-bongos-ikwue/

8 Likes

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by skyfall: 9:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
I couldn't agree with this man more. Here's the story below in an easier-to-read format.

Music icon, Mr. Bongos Ikwue, has called for the banning of religion in the country and the whole of Africa if the continent must make any meaningful progress.

Ikwue, who will turn 71 in June, believes that too much attachment to religion promotes laziness.

An engineer, who combines music with property development, Ikwue said he felt that Nigerians often insult God when they ask for “daily bread” from Him.

Speaking with our correspondent in Oturkpo, Benue State, on Sunday, the septuagenarian argued that God had already offered everyone Daily Bread by giving them the intellect to create ideas and work.

He said, “I believe in God. But, I totally disbelieve in religion, I will like to play down religion. If I had my way, I would ban religion completely from Africa for the continent to make progress.”

Ikwue suggested that the first pronouncement of any serious government should be to ban religion.

He said, “If it rained, you didn’t go to the farm but went to church; at the end of church service you pray and say give us this day our Daily Bread. You are insulting God.

“There is no year when harmattan does not change to rainy season. God requires no man to remind him and He has never failed to do his duty. But, after it rained and dried up, you didn’t go to farm, you are asking God for food. He will laugh at your stupidity.

“There is no day that the sun will not rise and set. I believe in a God that has expressed Himself clearly; he has never failed. Every year, all the mangoes will fruit in their time throughout the entire country.

“There has never come a time when it is time for them to fruit and they don’t fruit. But, look at you black man; you are unable to pluck these mangoes. You take a stone trying to pluck one and you pluck 16 unripe ones.

“They will waste because you are not using your head. Give us this day our Daily Bread; He gave you Daily Bread and you wasted it.”

The musician, who has just released 14 out of his new 45-track album, Wulu Wulu, said, “too much talking instead of working” would get Nigeria nowhere.

He said, “Those who said God spoke to them had lied to you; you became gullible and fell victim. You deserve what you are getting because you are not using your head; they are going to take all your money.

“Don’t go give a cheque of N300m to a church and expect that God is so happy and clapping because He has not seen money. So, money will take me to heaven or it is meant to stop on this earth?

“Those who will not listen to people like me will pay the price; they will remain gullible and the price is remain in your poverty because you are not thinking or using your head.”

He added, “The banning of religion will not take God out of existence but it will take distractive people out of our lives. Can you imagine how many times people go to places of worship in a week? They go to listen and contribute nothing.

“They don’t even raise their hands to ask questions; it is a university you never graduate from for the rest of your life. The amount of waste in terms of human power is a lot, if you quantify it.

“I need for the government to become bold and take religion out of itself completely. Why pay for people to go to Jerusalem and Mecca? The Jews who collect this money in their country invest it there, don’t they?

“Roads and schools can only be built by money, not prayers. Why are you giving people this money for air tickets to go and pray in Mecca or Jerusalem when you can use it to build the roads?”

Among Ikwue’s popular hits, which made waves in the 80s and early 90s, were Cock Crow at Dawn, Otachikpokpo, Amen, Sill Searching, and Mariama.

He took a break from recording albums and went into property development, designing and contracting for over a decade.

Ikwue bounced back last year with Wulu Wulu, the title track of a new album making waves again.

1 Like

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
Good evening Sir,

I am of the opinion that Mr. Ikwue has no idea what he is talking about. If someone want's to be lazy, I bet it won't be because of religion. I am a Christian and I pride myself in being very hardworking and industrious.

Let Mr. Ikwue note that the great economies in the world did not attain greatness by banning religion. On the contrary, when a ban is placed on religion, it would imply that the right to freedom of worship will be trampled on and really I don't know a lot of countries who thrive economically by depriving it's citizens of their fundamental rights.

Mr. Ikwue is avoiding the real problem of Nigeria and chasing after shadows. He should be aware that Nigerians (at least those in the south) are very hardworking. I am yet to meet a Southern Nigerian who deliberately wants to be lazy. If Mr. Ikwue really mean well for Nigeria he should stop this personal thing he has for religion and help improve the economy in any way he can.

Has he provided work for those people who come to him for money and they say they prefer not to work? Or is he saying that those people neglected to work due to their own fault. I do not condone laziness but for someone to blame the woes of a Nation on religion is really not the way to go.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
I know the ills and pros and cons and all of Religion! But truth be said, this man is spilling nothing but hot air, his views will make no difference whatsoever on the stance of religion. Rome wasnt built in a day and as well cant be pulled down in a day
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:04pm On Jan 02, 2013
we are in the time of Grace where God allow people to go unpunished, if not He would have struck these false prophets long ago.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: we are in the time of Grace where God allow people to go unpunished, if not He would have struck these false prophets long ago.

Assuming god existed in the first place

1 Like

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
@skyfall: thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. Posted it from my mobile..

@stryktlymi: check up 'renaissance'

Like it or not, nigeria is in such a period.

Men of noGod posing as God's mediators stealing money through Biblical utterances from their 'worshippers', allah and yahweh fighting for supremacy in the north... People are beginning to ask questions.

Believe it or not, religion and politics have mixed like akamu and sugar in Nigeria.

We should learn to start focusing more on 'observation' rather than 'superstitions'.

Tbh, religion will never be banned in Africa. Our rulers need the religion to keep us divided and docile. As a people, we're also too God-reliant, and most are ready to follow the God and his dogs to the grave...
it doesn't matter that he's yet to answer a single prayer for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: we are in the time of Grace where God allow people to go unpunished, if not He would have struck these false prophets long ago.
People have always said the wrong things about GOd and gone unpunished. Na now?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:09pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03: Assuming god existed in the first place
the fools says in their heart that there is no God, are you a fool?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: the fools says in their heart that there is no God, are you a fool?
Doesn't he use the foolish things of the world to confound the wise? Who else is foolish, if not God esp the Xtian one?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
Redmosquito: People have always said the wrong things about GOd and gone unpunished. Na now?
that is why i said we are in the time of Grace where such acts goes unpunished
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
Redmosquito:
People have always said the wrong things about GOd and gone unpunished. Na now?
What they don't realise is that religion today esp the noisy, sweaty, dancing, holy ghost rapping crap that's Nigerian penteCOSTalism is more of an insult to that hebrew God..
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: the fools says in their heart that there is no God, are you a fool?
#
I do not believe he is a fool! Believing in God is not just a thing of faith! I cannot believe there is a GOd and yet not question his existence, I am curious , I am human. For if there is a God , there must be proof, something by which I must hold and go by, something to always tell me " There is a being, a force somewhere that holds you". That is where experience comes into being, if u have not felt that last moment of life, that fleeting breath leaving you, if you have not felt the sting of death before your very eyes, then you may never believe in God. I have felt that! And now I beleive. He has not
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:18pm On Jan 02, 2013
musKeeto: Doesn't he use the foolish things of the world to confound the wise? Who else is foolish, if not God esp the Xtian one?
may God forgive you brother, how dare u say the Almighty is foolish?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:19pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: that is why i said we are in the time of Grace where such acts goes unpunished
Since the days of old GOd has been blasphemed against and the perpetrator has roamed free!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:23pm On Jan 02, 2013
Redmosquito: # I do not believe he is a fool! Believing in God is not just a thing of faith! I cannot believe there is a GOd and yet not question his existence, I am curious , I am human. For if there is a God , there must be proof, something by which I must hold and go by, something to always tell me " There is a being, a force somewhere that holds you". That is where experience comes into being, if u have not felt that last moment of life, that fleeting breath leaving you, if you have not felt the sting of death before your very eyes, then you may never believe in God. I have felt that! And now I beleive. He has not
okay, then he is also a doubting thomas and i pray he changes his ways real soon cos God do exist.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:27pm On Jan 02, 2013
musKeeto: What they don't realise is that religion today esp the noisy, sweaty, dancing, holy ghost rapping crap that's Nigerian penteCOSTalism is more of an insult to that hebrew God..
and who made u a judge over this? r u done removing d spec in ur own very eyes?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: may God forgive you brother, how dare u say the Almighty is foolish?
Smh... He should keep his forgiveness for those who kill his worshippers in the North during services..

I don't need it. Never will.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
musKeeto:
What they don't realise is that religion today esp the noisy, sweaty, dancing, holy ghost rapping crap that's Nigerian penteCOSTalism is more of an insult to that hebrew God..
I cannot say I fully agree or disagree with you. I must say myself that some aspects of modern christainity is ermmmm....what is the word? inappropriate? But I cant fully pull out the dirty bits, but I can well say the truth of God and Jesus has been muddled up somewhere in time, the machine is still working but t chinks here and there
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:32pm On Jan 02, 2013
Redmosquito: Since the days of old GOd has been blasphemed against and the perpetrator has roamed free!
in d old, the patriachial and mosaic days, they were struck dead.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by cyrexx: 10:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: okay, then he is also a doubting thomas and i pray he changes his ways real soon cos God do exist.

yes, God exists indeed.

In the minds of his believers he exists. That is why he will always need his believers to talk for him, write his holy books, fight for him and defend his existence.

If he exists outside his believer's minds, let him speak to us for once and we shall believe him faster than you wish.

Otherwise, it is only humans who exists with God in their minds

shikena.
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: in d old, the patriachial and mosaic days, they were struck dead.
Then what about the palestinians? They were thorough active enemies of Children of God throughout the bible!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
musKeeto: @skyfall: thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. Posted it from my mobile..

@stryktlymi: check up 'renaissance'

Like it or not, nigeria is in such a period.

Men of noGod posing as God's mediators stealing money through Biblical utterances from their 'worshippers', allah and yahweh fighting for supremacy in the north... People are beginning to ask questions.

Believe it or not, religion and politics have mixed like akamu and sugar in Nigeria.

We should learn to start focusing more on 'observation' rather than 'superstitions'.

Tbh, religion will never be banned in Africa. Our rulers need the religion to keep us divided and docile. As a people, we're also too God-reliant, and most are ready to follow the God and his dogs to the grave...
it doesn't matter that he's yet to answer a single prayer for Nigeria.

Good evening again sir,

I understand perfectly well how some individuals have used religion for their selfish gain but this is not to say that a ban on religion will necessarily move the country forward. When you say religion and politics have so mixed that you can hardly differentiate one from the other, you make it seem as if our leaders attained power because of their religious affiliation. This is no true! The Nigerian case has so deteriorated because those who claim to be religious are really not. Christianity will not ask you to go into government and steal. It won't ask you to embezzle, neither will it ask you to be a bad leader.

If a leader does wrong then that individual does so because he or she is selfish and his or her actions do not reflect the faith he or she professes. You should understand that Nigerians are not 'docile' because of religion, they are the way they are because of a lack of religion. Now the question can be asked of Mr. Ikwue, since he does not believe in religion what has he done to show that he is also not docile? It is easy to sit back and accuse someone when in fact we are guilty of the same.

Thank you!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by cyrexx: 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: in d old, the patriachial and mosaic days, they were struck dead.

sounds like some tales by moonlight told in Jewish lands long ago
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
Redmosquito:
I cannot say I fully agree or disagree with you. I must say myself that some aspects of modern christainity is ermmmm....what is the word? inappropriate? But I cant fully pull out the dirty bits, but I can well say the truth of God and Jesus has been muddled up somewhere in time, the machine is still working but t chinks here and there
Yeah, religion's just like rat poison.. 80% real rat meal, 20% poison..

Well, it wouldn't be humans job to fix that mess. If God really loves and cherishes us, he should have cleared up the mess a long time. The more I know about God, the more I see a sadist... One who was even willing to kill his own son rather than forgive Satan or just reset humanity...
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:39pm On Jan 02, 2013
cyrexx:

yes, God exists indeed.

In the minds of his believers he exists. That is why he will always need his believers to talk for him, write his holy books, fight for him and defend his existence.

If he exists outside his believer's minds, let him speak to us for once and we shall believe him faster than you wish.

Otherwise, it is only humans who exists with God in their minds

shikena.
The problem with most "Believers", is that they forget they have a brain, an a system of logic. God gave me a brain, a working machine, and I dont think he put it there for space uptake, My brain is there to give me insight, to know my right from my wrong, I cannot abandon my brain and Just follow a muddled believe in God, God will send me to Hell himself. No! I cannot. But most people do, most people will, that is why u see people ready to sacrifice their families for their God!

1 Like

Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 10:39pm On Jan 02, 2013
musKeeto: Smh... He should keep his forgiveness for those who kill his worshippers in the North during services.. I don't need it. Never will.
have u ever asked God 4 a request n He didn't grant it? Y do u speak such ills of ur creator?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2013
Now you guys are getting me confused!

Is this thread about the existence or non-existence of God?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
luxanne: have u ever asked God 4 a request n He didn't grant it? Y do u speak such ills of ur creator?
Ermmm..That argument is null and void, you should elucidate!
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 02, 2013
striktlymi: Now you guys are getting me confused!

Is this thread about the existence or non-existence of God?
Lol. Was about to post the same, but you'd have to agree that religion and the question of God's existence are quite related.

As per your previous post, please could you define religion?

Because it seems like you're trying to dissociate Chrisitanity, and in extension Islam amongst others, from religion.

As per being docile, the promise of miracles and quick breakthroughs via the power of annointing, are these irreligious activities or promises?
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by Redmosquito(m): 10:53pm On Jan 02, 2013
The bible itself holds a fragment of the TOrah( Holy book of Judaism)> Does that not preach some truth about the credibility of other religion apart from christainity! For chrsitains always ahve the ideology that Christainity is final and ultimate , all the rest shall die, And by so doing, they create their own God.
I do believe the bible itself has some questions to answer, not just the followers of the religon
Re: Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... by luxanne(f): 11:02pm On Jan 02, 2013
Redmosquito: Ermmm..That argument is null and void, you should elucidate!
am trying to understand y he is so upset wit God to d extent of calling Him names, he looks like a lost soul to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

RCCG 2017 Holy Ghost Congress; Songs Of Victory, 4-9th Dec, 2017 / Is Masturbating With Images Of Your Spouse In Your Head A Sin? / Your Word For Today - Bible Verses That Inspire The Atheist/Anti-Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.