Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:59 PM

Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here (19609 Views)

Psychology Graduates Lets Meet Here / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Meeloreh(f): 11:43am On Oct 23, 2015
Great metabolites, I salute o.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by lizmovic(m): 1:26pm On Oct 23, 2015
I can't wait to graduate ...
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Fishyvibes(f): 6:20pm On Oct 23, 2015
I regret studying biochem cos there's hardly any job dat asks 4 bch students. I'm here hustling 4 job now.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Gerrard59(m): 3:43pm On Oct 24, 2015
^^

You shouldn't regret studying Biochemistry as it's a great and wonderful course. Options for you

>> Go for a masters in a good school, when I mean good school, I mean a school you'll mention and one wouldn't need to go to Google to confirm if it's a school.

>> You mustn't necessarily "work" in a Biochemistry related field. You can try other field/sectors.

>> If you insist on working in a Biochem related field, you just have to try harder. Yes, I know the country is hard, good jobs in scarce quantity compared to job seekers. Practice more GMAT, Kenexa, SHL et al. Google firms that play in the sector; be it pharmaceutical, food, agricultural, research agencies etc. Spread your NETWORK , after all it's your NETWORTH.

All these depends on your grade, as there exist a grade chasm in the labour market. Not only in Nigeria, it's rampant in the UK, Singapore, US etc.

For further information and in depth analysis, I recommend WWW.jraushub.COM.

Have a fulfilling day.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Gerrard59(m): 3:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
[quote author=Tabelachizza post=36511441]

1. Lehinger**Principles of Biochemistry by Nelson and Michael Cox. 6th Editon**Dats the latest now::It cost about 11k but in a good market like Onitsha main market,you will get it for 9k.

[quote]

I checked Amazon and I saw it at $230 which translates to 45K in Naira. Where did you get yours, as a lecturer of mine is threatening us of not writing our exams if we don't get the book in hardcopy.

However, I don't major in Biochemistry. Just offering it as a course. Quite interesting, but structures plenty. BTW, I reside in Uyo.

Thanks.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by lacruz12(m): 5:07pm On Oct 24, 2015
300L biochemistry student... I rep uniben
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by smartsammie(m): 2:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
Wow!! Nice thread OP. I must confess studying biochemistry in OAU is not worth it. This is my opinion!! You do the same mathematics and physics with tech students in short you will even do extra physics. You won't start BCH courses until part 2 second semester. BCH202 which is just 2 units. Besides, you will stop inorganic chemistry early enough and do excess physical chemistry. Irrelevant courses which time won't permit me to mention.
I will say biochemistry actually depends on your institution.

My candid advice. Pls and pls if you know you don't like mathematics don't choose biochemistry in OAU. You will do 18units of mathematics you know if you don't perform well what your CGPA will look like.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by angiography(m): 8:50am On Oct 26, 2015
Fishyvibes:
I regret studying biochem cos there's hardly any job dat asks 4 bch students. I'm here hustling 4 job now.
Hmm...it's well bro...U can try other firms besides from ur profession
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by maeshal(m): 8:39am On Oct 28, 2015
pls which of these area of specialization has more prospect in this country msc nutrition and toxicology, msc biochemical pharmacology, msc chemical pathology ,msc environmental biochemistry
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Lollypee(m): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
maeshal:
pls which of these area of specialization has more prospect in this country msc nutrition and toxicology, msc biochemical pharmacology, msc chemical pathology ,msc environmental biochemistry
For me i think M.Sc nutrition /toxicology or M. Sc environmental biochemistry
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Ebi89(f): 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2015
nice to meet my fellow metabolites, great biochemical machines smileynice to meet my fellow metabolites, great biochemical machines
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Fishyvibes(f): 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2015
Please can u be nice enough to send me these past questions? So I can practice and be prepared for job aptitude tests. Please send to my email victoriaigbinoba@yahoo.com God bless u
Gerrard59:
^^

You shouldn't regret studying Biochemistry as it's a great and wonderful course. Options for you

>> Go for a masters in a good school, when I mean good school, I mean a school you'll mention and one wouldn't need to go to Google to confirm if it's a school.

>> You mustn't necessarily "work" in a Biochemistry related field. You can try other field/sectors.

>> If you insist on working in a Biochem related field, you just have to try harder. Yes, I know the country is hard, good jobs in scarce quantity compared to job seekers. Practice more GMAT, Kenexa, SHL et al. Google firms that play in the sector; be it pharmaceutical, food, agricultural, research agencies etc. Spread your NETWORK , after all it's your NETWORTH.

All these depends on your grade, as there exist a grade chasm in the labour market. Not only in Nigeria, it's rampant in the UK, Singapore, US etc.

For further information and in depth analysis, I recommend WWW.jraushub.COM.

Have a fulfilling day.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Vasgas: 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2015
I need advise from the senior guys concering how to be good in d course biochemistry cuz most of my seniors are saying it nt easy
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Vasgas: 2:10pm On Oct 31, 2015
I need advise from the senior guys concering how to be good in d course biochemistry cuz most of my seniors are saying it nt easy.currently in year 2
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by mayorbch(m): 4:46am On Nov 01, 2015
I graduated as a biochemist (with a good 2.1 grade) in 2010 (futo) and currently an M.Sc student of Medical biochemistry at unizik. Fellow Eminents/Metabolites/Biochemists, getting a job as a Biochemist is tough you know why? Medical lab scientists won't give you the license to practice, in Food industry, Food Science and Technologists have patent rights, of course you know that studying pharmacology/toxicology wouldn't make you a Pharmacist.
Biochemistry offers you bragging rights for the knowledge you possess in explaining life's processes but as a means of livelihood, we are subdued by patent rights of other fields of study.
However, a biochemist can become a biochemistry lecturer, he can go into serious researches (who would sponsor him in Nigeria?) To elucidate how to correct metabolic errors and anomalies. I once did a research on the effects of crude oil spillage on the lipid profile of man using wistar rats. I found out that it reduces the triacylglycerides of the body hence reduces weight and the body's body mass index. It is also deadly because it results to lipid peroxidation. The question is then, how would such researches put food on the table? I once presented a seminar on the effects of benzopyrenes (do you eat suya so much?) On living tissues. Causes mutation in Guanine at position 3 of the DNA same as aflatoxins. It is a carcinogen. But if you are addicted to suya, make sure you are also addicted to eating antioxidants like fruits and of course, plenty potable water (check my signature)
My humble suggestions to all students of biochemistry:
1. Study to show yourself approved; scale the hurdle with very good grades
2. Make yourself sellable so as to compete favorably with the microbiologists, food technologists, molecular biologists, pathologists, toxicologists, pharmacologists etc in any opportunity
3. Be self-reliant, learn a trade or handwork so you can put food on the table.
4. Go for your M.Sc, then Ph.D so as to lecture a whole new set of students who find themselves in biochemistry because they couldn't be admitted to read medicine.
5. Finally, encourage your children to go for professional courses like medicine or pharmacy and encourage them to wait til the next year to try again if jamb doesn't favour them. The idea of "switching over to medicine after a year or two" is usually a mirage.
God bless you all, Eminents!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by mayorbch(m): 4:53am On Nov 01, 2015
Fishyvibes:
I graduated as a biochemist (with a good 2.1 grade) in 2010 (futo) and currently an M.Sc student of Medical biochemistry at unizik. Fellow Eminents/Metabolites/Biochemists, getting a job as a Biochemist is tough you know why? Medical lab scientists won't give you the license to practice, in Food industry, Food Science and Technologists have patent rights, of course you know that studying pharmacology/toxicology wouldn't make you a Pharmacist.
Biochemistry offers you bragging rights for the knowledge you possess in explaining life's processes but as a means of livelihood, we are subdued by patent rights of other fields of study.
However, a biochemist can become a biochemistry lecturer, he can go into serious researches (who would sponsor him in Nigeria?) To elucidate how to correct metabolic errors and anomalies. I once did a research on the effects of crude oil spillage on the lipid profile of man using wistar rats. I found out that it reduces the triacylglycerides of the body hence reduces weight and the body's body mass index. It is also deadly because it results to lipid peroxidation. The question is then, how would such researches put food on the table? I once presented a seminar on the effects of benzopyrenes (do you eat suya so much?) On living tissues. Causes mutation in Guanine at position 3 of the DNA same as aflatoxins. It is a carcinogen. But if you are addicted to suya, make sure you are also addicted to eating antioxidants like fruits and of course, plenty potable water (check my signature)
My humble suggestions to all students of biochemistry:
1. Study to show yourself approved; scale the hurdle with very good grades
2. Make yourself sellable so as to compete favorably with the microbiologists, food technologists, molecular biologists, pathologists, toxicologists, pharmacologists etc in any opportunity
3. Be self-reliant, learn a trade or handwork so you can put food on the table.
4. Go for your M.Sc, then Ph.D so as to lecture a whole new set of students who find themselves in biochemistry because they couldn't be admitted to read medicine.
5. Finally, encourage your children to go for professional courses like medicine or pharmacy and encourage them to wait til the next year to try again if jamb doesn't favour them. The idea of "switching over to medicine after a year or two" is usually a mirage.
God bless you all, Eminents!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by dnacrystal: 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2015
smartsammie:
Wow!! Nice thread OP. I must confess studying biochemistry in OAU is not worth it. This is my opinion!! You do the same mathematics and physics with tech students in short you will even do extra physics. You won't start BCH courses until part 2 second semester. BCH202 which is just 2 units. Besides, you will stop inorganic chemistry early enough and do excess physical chemistry. Irrelevant courses which time won't permit me to mention.
I will say biochemistry actually depends on your institution.

My candid advice. Pls and pls if you know you don't like mathematics don't choose biochemistry in OAU. You will do 18units of mathematics you know if you don't perform well what your CGPA will look like.
When do bch students do IT in oau? I learnt 400l
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Frontier2: 9:08pm On Nov 07, 2015
my people , is good to be here. greatest metabolites
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by smartsammie(m): 10:07pm On Nov 07, 2015
dnacrystal:
When do bch students do IT in oau? I learnt 400l

300L second semester going to 400l
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Rexsul: 12:00am On Nov 09, 2015
400L biochemistry Futminna....greetings 2 my Fellow metabolites
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Shollyps(m): 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2015
Rexsul:
400L biochemistry Futminna....greetings 2 my Fellow metabolites
oga rexsul...I hail o
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by smallmufta(f): 10:12am On Feb 14, 2016
Great metabolites in d house! Pls I want to learn biochemical reasoning nd we don't offer it in my school. Pls post some biochemical reasoning questions that you know. Tanks all
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by smallmufta(f): 10:13am On Feb 14, 2016
Cos I really need to learn the biochemistry of what we do in our everyday life.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Ben6ene: 1:57pm On Jun 04, 2016
More than 10,000 Multi Choice Questions an Answers in Biochemistry, it covers every aspect of biochemistry and it is arranged in chapters. You really want to have a copy if u are a biochemist. Good for undergraduates and those preparing for post graduates programmes in Biochemistry!!!

I am a Graduate of Biochemistry and I regret that I did not have this book when I was in School, I am preparing for my M.Sc program and it is helping a lot!

I want to share with you if you have interest!

My number: 07066963388
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 05, 2016
Tabelachizza:

You can fit in any company as a biochemist in the making....
I actually did mine in Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc a.k.a Golden penny,worked in their research and Development Labouratory****I really learnt alot. The lab will expose you to things you need to know as a Biochemist in the making..

The pay is not really dat much just about 10k,but they feed you and give you 2bags of semovita as a free issue at the end of the month....
Just try and erase your mind on the Pay cos if you think about it,you might be discourage ***Believe you me,,You will really Enjoy your stay there...
**All the best**
please and please how did u apply, am currently on my 400L 6months i.t nd am looking for where to apply to. This my NO 07036113550 whatsapp me or text me i will call bck right away, help a brother TNKZ.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2016
Currently looking for where to apply for in my 6months I.T. My contact 07036113550 tnkz
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by donsheva: 6:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
please i need help Msc students or graduates
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by johnsonodii: 8:24am On Jul 11, 2016
Share bro
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2016
Kelyto:
Bchemist are not pharmacologist n can never be pharmacist... They are used to fill in lack of pxcist in pharmaceutical companies... But wat do Bchemist do actually.... Confused by confused set of ppl.... Ppl don't shoot me down ooo... WAAAAARRR.....
that's why u ll keep beefing medical students cos u guys are too proud. Maybe u see biochemist as threat in ur field.
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by smallmufta(f): 9:56pm On Oct 21, 2016
gud evening all..I can nw proudly say am part of did group cos I just graduated.so pls NY ogas at d top,hw is d job opportunities for biochemistry graduates like in Nigeria?
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by oluwatobi01(m): 11:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
Hello peeps,....currently looking for where to do my IT in any production company,I am studying biochemistry at Adekunle Uni Akungba Ondo state....Any help will be rilly appre8ted...I lived in Lagos,u can reach me on 07083270299.

Thanks
Alashe
Re: Biochemistry Graduates: Lets Meet Here by willexyaho(m): 9:08pm On Jul 10, 2017
PLEASE HOW DO I GET BIOCHEMISTRY VOET AND VOET TEXTBOOK TO BUY IN NIGERIA. USED OR NEW.
THANKS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise / Should I resign or continue? / As A Teacher, What's Your Workload And Pay Range?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.