Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,603 members, 7,801,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) (3488 Views)

A must see : African hair can grow / Check Out My Video On African Hair / Inspiring Hair Blogs! African Hair CAN GROW! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by hermosa(f): 7:40am On Jan 03, 2013
Now i know a lot of you women out here are wondering if it's possible to actually grow african hair. NOt just just grow it, but also make it stronger and thicker, right? Well, after thorough research and also using my own hair as an experiment, the very likely hood of an african girl's hair growing, is possible!
our hair does grows, but it also breaks at the same speed that it grows too! But i've got some tips that'll help you grow, thicken and stop the breakage of your hair.
1. Shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week- Now i know that is somewhat difficult to do because most of us once we've got our braids or extensions in, we just don't want water touching it till the next time we take it out, right? But even wih braids in or weaves in, you can still shampoo your hair, visit your hair salonist and let them know you want to wash your hair. it's that simple! plus in the salon, they'll not only shampoo and condition it, but they'll also add other hair products into your hair that'll help with the hair growth.
2. Moisturize! Moisturize your hair!- Because our hair growth are very curly, any moisture it gets easily gets eaten up and it becomes all dry and brittle so we need to moisturize our hair!
3. Deep condition your hair at least once a week - Deep conditioning helps to treat your hair. It gives your hair the extra protein that it needs. and also helps to de-tangle those difficult knots, making it easy for you to comb through your hair with ease smiley
4. always use the lowest heat possible when blow drying or straigthening out your hair -HEAT IS NOT YOUR HAIR'S FRIEND!
5. Eat your vitamins- especially vitamin A, B-complex (very very important) and vitamin C. These vitamins help to increase Anagen growth.
6. Use a wide tooth comb
7 And alway wear your hair in a proective style- that is make sure your ends are covered up, either in a bun or plaits. smiley
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 03, 2013
Ur post is unfair, what abt for us the guys *winks*
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by ciphoenix: 8:49am On Jan 03, 2013
Waiting for the guys version smiley
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by EfemenaXY: 11:12am On Jan 03, 2013
hermosa:

1. Shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week- Now i know that is somewhat difficult to do because most of us once we've got our braids or extensions in, we just don't want water touching it till the next time we take it out, right? But even wih braids in or weaves in, you can still shampoo your hair, visit your hair salonist and let them know you want to wash your hair. it's that simple! plus in the salon, they'll not only shampoo and condition it, but they'll also add other hair products into your hair that'll help with the hair growth.

More information on this point pls. I am interested...

Does this really work for those with long weaves / hair extensions? Especially in the winter?

Just curious...
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by hermosa(f): 3:22pm On Jan 03, 2013
lol@ Timzy234 & Ciphoenix!
But, uhm, i guess if men are trying to grow their hair, the methods above apply to them as well (wink) hihi!

@Efemena Yes! I live in a very cold city Shenyang, China and the winter here is pretty brutal so for the 1st 2 month September & October i had Braids (one million braids) and i tried to wash as often as possible, so, i'd say for the two month i had my braids, i probably washed my hair 4 or 5 times. Then when i took it off, i had weave done (it was 18 inches) and even then i shampooed and conditioned my hair smiley. But you need to shampoo throughly if you're doin it yourself so u can get not just the parameters (the edges) but also the middle and inner parts too, and when condition make sure you squeeze the water our carefully before putting in conditioner (it's got to be 5 minutes at least-although instructions say 2-3 (but thas up to you also) smiley
Ooo, and i finally went out and got my Vitamin b-complex. which i'll took today along with vitamin c. vitamin b-complex is very important becaue its got vitamin b7 (biotin - a hair growth suplement and thicker hair, plus ur nails become much harder also (wink)).
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by dominique(f): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2013
Subscribing...
My friend that's also a haircare whiz says weekly shampooing is not really necessary. Deep conditioning is the bestest tho.
Still looking for that relaxer that wil relax my very coarse hair without burning my scalp. Right now I'm using organics olive oil.
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by OmoKhary(f): 8:54am On Jan 05, 2013
@dominique,try mega growth relaxer
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by dominique(f): 9:09pm On Jan 05, 2013
^^^ is it in kit or cup? Thanks for the suggestion, will look out for it.
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by OmoKhary(f): 11:14pm On Jan 05, 2013
dominique: ^^^ is it in kit or cup? Thanks for the suggestion, will look out for it.
kit
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by Nobody: 4:36am On Jan 08, 2013
[size=13pt]Rule of thumb for relaxers:

No-Lye, aka kit, relaxers: easy on the scalp, harsh on the hair.
Lye, aka, tub, relaxers: harsh on the scalp, easy on the hair.

@OP, African hair needs moisture more than any other hair type, which is why deep conditioning should be emphasized. I don't like shampooing too often for fear of drying my hair out. Often times, I just use conditioner and wash with it like it's a shampoo.[/size]
Re: How To Care For African Hair (kinky/afro Hair) by hermosa(f): 4:44am On Jan 25, 2013
yes, washing your hair with only conditioner is very neccessary. it should be done at least once or twice a week.
for healthier and stronger hair, try an oil treatment before washing your hair, then deep condition. its effective.
and dont forget your vitamins! especially vitamin b complex!

(1) (Reply)

Authentic Polo Ralph Lauren Long Sleeved Shirts. / New Session At Classique J Fashions / Do You Use Olay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.