Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola (20929 Views)

Aregbesola Commissions The Kings University Ode-Omu / Osun Students' Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody / Anambra Students To Represent Nigeria At 27th World Debate In Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by watchindelta(m): 9:00pm On Jan 03, 2013
i must marry yoruba girl, if nt yoruba then i go for oyinbo girl gbam, that two was my choice since my lil age back then.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by mapet: 9:02pm On Jan 03, 2013
I find your submission significantly valid. I believe this should be the focus of leadership.

Let's get something clear. Aregbesola's government is simply providing an option with the "Ifa Studies". For those interested, they can go for it. I'm curious many times and in my curiousity I want to know a thing or two, like this Ifa divinity.....I like some of the sayings, peotry and teachings........... but beyond that, thanks but no thanks..........I am a Christian and so are my children

afam4eva: If there's one thing i like about Aregbesola, it's the fact that he localizes his government. He tackles what is of interest to his citizens. When other governors are planning on introducing French and Chinese to school, Aregbesola is introducing Ifa to the curricular. Nice one.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by myola(m): 9:03pm On Jan 03, 2013
Arysexy: Hmmmm this people and juju, now i know why hausa muslim dont regard them as true muslims.
And see d hausa original Muslim killing in thousands without mercy. Which one will u prefer ?

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by PeterKbaba: 9:03pm On Jan 03, 2013
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by mapet: 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
I was listening to an Ifa worship service on radio one day, can you believe it that they practically mimicked the chrisitan church order of service.........they had their version of the creed, the collect, and other prayers...
anonimi:

From my scanty memories of the NTA Ibadan old series of Ifa Olokun A soro dayo also anchored by Dr. Elebuibon, there are many similar stories between what is in the Bible (particularly OT) which is almost reproduced verbatim in the Koran.
Such a comparative project may instill a greater level of self confidence that could propel us to modern greatness if we focus our education on innovation by massively encouraging enrolment in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) related subjects.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Smykell(m): 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
I welcome d idea and like how osun governor mr rauf is really taking us back to our those ancient thing...but shey d student go dey enter white uniform to IFA class ? Lol
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by holywoman: 9:09pm On Jan 03, 2013
its good to promote our culture. well done.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 03, 2013
watchindelta: i must marry yoruba girl, if nt yoruba then i go for oyinbo girl gbam, that two was my choice since my lil age back then.

And this is all because of ifa
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by emiye(m): 9:20pm On Jan 03, 2013
Hmmmn Ifa, i learnt there is a linkage between Ifa and modern day computing.

it uses 0's and 1's and then has numbers like 256 , 1024, 2048, similar to binary system & bits and bytes.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 03, 2013
As part of efforts to support the preservation and
promotion of the cultural heritage of the Yoruba people, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural
Organisation (UNESCO) and the Japanese Government also signed Trust-in-Fund for the safeguarding
of Ifa Divination System.

"According to UNESCO, the Ifa Divination System which makes use of an extensive corpus of text and mathematical formula, is practised among Yoruba communities and by the African Diaspora in the Americas and the Caribbean"

Thanks to the UN, the Japanese government and of course, Gov Aregbesola for trying his best to safeguard the Yoruba culture.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by afroxyz: 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
saxywale:

Ifá is based on two binary orders as in the binomial
theory of mathematics: the binary order of opposition
and the binary order of complimentarity very much
the same kind of binary order from which the
computer is originated.

There are two hundred and fifty-six Odu or books of
Ifá. Each Odu or book is supposed to contain eight
hundred stories yielding a total of 256 multiplied by
800 which equals 204 800 stories.
Please where do I get such books. I am intrested in African mythology. I am a poet and would like to represent them in my works.

Each of these
stories(histories) contains the experiences of the people of
West Africa(Yoruba) throughout the whole range of their
history and mythology. In other words even though
most of the ancient people were not literate
they developed the ability to preserve the salient
aspects of their culture and history.

What is even
more they developed a rigorous system for the study
codification transmission and dissemination of this
vast body of literature and knowledge.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 03, 2013
This United Nations project also aims at ensuring the intergenerational and peer transmission of Ifa through formalizing the transfer of knowledge of Ifa priests through the CREATION OF A SCHOOL. It intends to collect Ifa verses and medicinal recipes in order to ensure the quality of the training and to upgrade the existing documentation. Awareness-raising activities will be organized among the Yoruba to enhance their PRIDE IN THEIR OWN CULTURE as well as to inform people at large of the importance of Ifa.

I hope other SW governors would follow aregbe's lead.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by afroxyz: 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2013
shymexx: Interesting and praiseworthy...

I just bought "The Handbook of Yoruba Religious Concepts: Baba Ifa Karade" last week, and Ifa is definitely one of the most advanced form of spirituality ever... Christianity and Islam aren't even close!!

Ifa is science and the concept is like the computing binary concept, however, in a more spiritual way...

God bless the Yoruba ancestors!!
Please where do I get this book?
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 03, 2013
youngies: The Osun State Government has announced a comprehensive plan for the state’s secondary school students to study Ifa as one of their subjects.

The state Governor, Ogbeni Raufu Aregbesola, said the schools’ computer tablet had application for Ifa studies.

Aregbesola made the relevation yesterday during the special prayers session to usher in the New Year, organized with clerics from all religions praying for the peace and growth of the state.

Clerics who offered special prayers for the state included the President General, League of Imams and Alfas in the South-West, Alhaji Mustapha Ajisafe; the Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the state, Evangelist Abraham Aladeseye; and frontline Ifa priest, Chief Ifayemi Elebuibon, among others.

The special prayer affected official functions in the state secretariat and other government offices, as top civil servants across all parastatal agencies graced the occasion held in the premises of the Bola Ige House, state secretariat, Abere, Osogbo.

Bishop of Osogbo Diocese of the Methodist Church, Bishop John Bamigboye, advised the government to compensate those whose property were demolished as a result of the ongoing road dualization in the state.

Bamigboye enjoined the government to return Christian and Islamic Religious Studies to all primary and secondary schools in the state.

Governor Aregbesola, in his remarks at the ceremony, declared that 2013 would be a year of total freedom for the state, stressing that the year would be for the people of the state a year of total turn-around and liberty.

According to the governor, the government’s major desire for the state in 2013 is to ensure the fulfillment of the desires of the state’s founding fathers, stressing: “Osun State will be freed in 2013 from hunger, mystery, poverty and under-development.”

He said his government has paid over N600 million as compensation to owners of demolished structures, even as he assured that those who were yet to receive their compensation would get theirs soon.

Aregbesola also disclosed that his government had returned religious studies to all public primary and secondary schools in the state, adding that the free computer tablet tagged ‘opon Imon’, which the government would present to secondary school students had an application for Ifa studies.

He also prayed for peace and development of the state in 2013 and urged all the people to support his government and the country with prayers, saying: “Nigeria needs prayers for an end to come to the security problem confronting the northern part of the country.”

Aregbesola added that his desire for the year was to make the state the envy of other states in the country, saying he had come to the state to do the works of God.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/osun-students-to-study-ifa-aregbesola/
Reading through so many comments its obvious so many did'nt have the patience to read through the post.The Governor did not say anything concerning studying Ifa in secondary schools.He only said that the computers the government would present to secondary school students had an application for Ifa studies.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by MacLovington(m): 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
If we Africans are going to regain our respect in the comity of nations we should make the world know the advanced culture, science and philosophy that our ancestors developed way before Abrahamic religions and colonialism came.

Enough of being copy-cats without original contributions. Ifa is certainly most advanced and can be learnt as an art and science without much opaque mysticism.

See how the Koreans, Indians, Japanes, Viet-kongs have all elevated their culture/religion, cuisine etc that many Westerners now proudly claim to be Buddhists,Hare Krishna, Shinto and happily declare Chinese as their favourite food.

What stop us exporting idika ikon, amala, starch and egbagba, poundo iyan and above all garrium pulverate and epa!

2 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Sike(m): 10:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
The ruturn of Orunmila... Orunmila in the making.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by MacLovington(m): 10:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
Smart jeezy: I know some ifa like:.EJI OGBE...
OYEKU MEJI...
IWORI MEJI...
ODU MEJI....
OKANRAN MEJI...
IROSUN MEJI...
OWONRIN MEJI...
OGUNDA MEJI...
OSA MEJI...
IRETE MEJI...

OKANRAN MEJI... Greatness/success but beware-enemies, I think IKA MEJI has similar meaning
OYEKU MEJI... bad news-linked with death?

I used to hear granny discuss these after seeing a deviner...lol...........forgotten all of them now.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by akinmax: 10:15pm On Jan 03, 2013
God bless Governor Aregbe for this,I'm a christain but I 'll like to compare Ifa knowlege with others religious knowledge .
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
afroxyz:
Please where do I get this book?

Amazon or ebay... It's an interesting book and it provides insightful information on what Ifa divinity and its polytheism is all about... The head/crown(ori) is the most important part of the body and it controls everything we do(more or less the "kingdom of God"wink... Orunmila(third eye) is higher consciousness.. and ayanmo is destiny...
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 03, 2013
Sexywale

Eleda/ori basically means the same thing, no??
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by FrenchyL(m): 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2013
This is a waste of time! Why is so much being spent to enhance the study of some dead god?? Aren't there more lofty things to study? It is all juju worship as far as I know and it won't produce anything good. Mshewww
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Xfactoria: 10:42pm On Jan 03, 2013
This whole thing just makes me laugh!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am Yoruba and from the royal family and one of the things you learn growing up is how to identify with Ifa. But our mothers were opposed to it and imposed Christianity on us and so we abandoned it. Even my father who used to be fanatical about it is now a staunch member of RCCG.

Just three weeks ago, on my facebook page, I was relishing some stories from the Yoruba myth on creation that I learnt while growing up. I was just trying to appreciate the depth of our traditional beliefs. Excerpts:

"Reminiscing some parts of Yoruba mythology learnt in secondary school: "Ile-Ife is the center of the world, Olodumare sent Orisa Nla or Obatala to create the world, Obatala got drunk with palm-wine and stalled creation, Olodumare sent Oduduwa in the company of 400 deities to conclude the creation of the world". Interesting but soooo incredible!!!"

" I think the Yoruba myth, the biblical account of creation and the evolution theory all have a convergence - man is the peak of creation/the last creature. Yoruba myth and the Biblical account all existed before the evolution theory. The biblical order of creation also jives with scientific order of evolution. However, the Yoruba myth and the biblical account both have their sources from divination. Despite that, what I'm trying to point out is the Yoruba's spiritual and philosophical advancement compared to many other human societies in those dark ages. To the best of my knowledge, only the Greeks and the Mayans have similar myths about creation"

Never thought Ifa would be something that would now come to the fore today. Anyway, I wish Osun State good luck!

3 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 03, 2013
Why not? Good one from the governor.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Dee60: 11:03pm On Jan 03, 2013
ACN - All together Committed to Nonsense
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by geeez: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
I support this with every cell of my Yoruba blood though I'm Christian. Studying Ifa is not the same thing as worshiping Ifa. Who and how you choose to worship should be a matter of choice.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Slizbeat(m): 12:35am On Jan 04, 2013
Am not a yoruba so i would not comment on the part of IFA study. Buh lemme ask, those advocating for the chasing of foriegn religions like christianity and Islam, are you a traditional worshipper? Leave the religions alone, we who pratice it are Okay with it and the God we serve and worship in the religion has being answering our prayers. You are not a christian or muslim by mere copying foriegners but by your belief. Implement IFA but let it not affect the other, simple.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by zo3184: 12:41am On Jan 04, 2013
In parts of the Caribbeans and South America especially in Bahia area of Brazil Ifa is already a required curricullum in high school and for the ignoramus among us since we are Africans and we have to hate anything African, I am very sorry Ifa already the most African concept that the world have ever embraced.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by amor4ce(m): 12:53am On Jan 04, 2013

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by movmentish(m): 1:06am On Jan 04, 2013
saxywale: I see nothing wrong in studying Ifa, It's one of UNESCOs heritage culture. This is highly commendable.
Note: This is not an advertisement

The Ifa Heritage Institute, Nigeria is the only Higher
Education institution in the world that specializes in
the study of all aspects of Yoruba indigenous culture.
In November 2005, UNESCO (United Nations
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
proclaimed Ifá as one of the 86 traditions of the world
to be regarded as Masterpieces of the Oral and
Intangible Heritage of Humanity. UNESCO then
enjoined all nations and peoples of the world to give
their unflinching support to these traditions so that
they would not perish.

The Ifa Heritage Institute is a post-secondary
institution in Oyo Town, Oyo State, Nigeria, sponsored
in part by UNESCO and endorsed by the Federal
Government of Nigeria. The objective of the Institute
is the preservation and propagation of Ifá as an
indigenous African body of knowledge within the
settings of a modern and contemporary educational
system.

In the past three years, the Ifa Heritage Institute has
developed programs on Ifa and other aspects of
Yoruba culture, and taught those programs
successfully to three sets of students, two sets of
which have already graduated.

The Institute is grateful to the Japanese Government
for their donation which has enabled us to acquire a
VSAT, video satellite capability. We are hoping to be
able, during the coming academic year, to develop
online programs which will facilitate participation of
interested students from around the world. This will
not preclude international students from coming
physically to Oyo to enroll in our diploma program,
but will be an additional way interested persons can
participate in the program.

FACULTIES of the IFA HERITAGE INSTITUTE are as
follows:

1.Department of Ifá Studies The vastness of the
knowledge contained within the Ifa divination system
is almost unfathomable. In this department, students
will be taught the rudiments of Ifá divination, focusing
especially on chanting and interpretation of Ifá
stories. We would like to preserve the orality of Ifá;
therefore the primary focus of the Faculty of Ifa
Studies is the oral memorization of Ifá literary verses
and the interpretation of the same. There are 256
Odù of Ifá. Each Odù contains 800 stories, yielding a
total of 204,800 stories that deal with different
aspects of Yoruba mythology, history, medicine,
philosophy and other ideas. Each Odù can be
regarded as an oral or unwritten "book" of this
comprehensive compendium of knowledge. Students
will learn verses from each of the 256 Odu, their
meanings and practical application.

2.Department of Languages The languages to be
taught in this department are Yoruba, English,
Spanish, Portuguese and French. This department will
focus on both the oral and written forms of the
Yoruba language so that students who complete the
program would be able to speak the Yoruba language
very well and also be very literate in the subject. The
English language will also not be neglected. The need
to include Portuguese and Spanish is because these
are the two languages which the teeming millions of
Yoruba people in the Diaspora speak, especially in
Cuba and Brazil. Of course, we all know that our
brothers and sisters in Benin and Togo Republic speak
French in addition to the Yoruba language. English
and Yoruba will be compulsory, and each student
should pick one of the remaining three languages.

3.Department of Medicine All the herbs in the
Yoruba floral and fauna are believed to have been
named and categorized by Ifá and his younger
brother Osanyin since very ancient times. In the
Department of Medicine, we will devote our attention
to the study of our indigenous medical practices,
therapeutics and pharmacopia. Time will be devoted
to the identification of medicinal leaves, roots, and
barks of trees, the preparation and administration of
different forms of medicines, and how to diagnose
and treat illnesses in the indigenous African way. The
Ààreèsègùn, chief Medicine Man elected by the entire
community of indigenous healers, will play the lead
role in this department.

4.Department of Performing Arts In the department
of Performing Arts we will teach the music and dance
associated with Ifá in West Africa and in the African
Diaspora, such as bata music, dùndún music, and
music made from iron gongs called agogo, which is
the most favorite dance step of Babalawos and
Iyanifas. Theoretical instruction will be complemented
by real live performances and instruction delivered by
local experts in the respective arts.

5.Department of Indigenous Technology In this
department, we will focus on the mechanisms,
machinery, tools and materials required for the
production of beadworks, metal works/blacksmithing,
calabash-carving, preparation of indigo dye-stuffs,
and other indigenous textile products. Computer
technology and design will also be an important part
of the curricula.

For more information on the Ifa Heritage Institute
please visit
www.ifaheritage.org
or Professor Wande Abimbola's website.
http://www.wandeabimbola.com/ifa-heritage-institute-oyo-nigeria/
No faculty of late night broom flying
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by lagcity(m): 2:50am On Jan 04, 2013
movmentish:
No faculty of late night broom flying

grin grin. This is Ifa, not Harry Potter. Now back to bed!

gad, I can't stand these teenagers.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Yewe2011(m): 2:54am On Jan 04, 2013
Arysexy: Hmmmm this people and juju, now i know why hausa muslim dont regard them as true muslims.

Who cares?

Do you even know what Juju is? or are you just repeating something you heard?

besides, Muslims from the Arab world don't consider any Africans as "true Muslims"

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by autchman144(m): 4:37am On Jan 04, 2013
Ifalogy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / Update On Constructions At ESUT College Of Medicine, Igbo-Eno / WAEC Result Upgrade Is Fake See Why You Should Not Do It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.