Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,350 members, 7,780,940 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:57 AM

Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (12427 Views)

Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? / Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by desertboom(m): 8:12pm On Jan 03, 2013
How has it been like, being the only child of your parents?

Many people believe that being the only child is juicy and rosy, you get pamper and also treated like king or queen.
Thus, for me being the only child of my mother has been very challenging for me;
You eat your food alone with no one to share with.
No one to play with.
No one to share your cloths with.
No one to fight with. Yes, fight!
No one to discuss with.
No one to share your dreams and aspiration with.
You're always on your own, doing your thing alone, the benfit I often get is that mum seems to take very good care of me.
Though, I seems not to bother again because I'm now a big boy in my mid 20s

How has it been like for you?

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Jellita: 8:22pm On Jan 03, 2013
Not applicable.
My papa na TYPICAL African man! kiss
My mama na TYPICAL African woman! kiss

Only child syndrome is NOT AN OPTION!
By hook or by crook! kiss

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2013
Awww....and look at me, trying to have just one!

Maybe, i will reconsider.

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Jellita: 8:57pm On Jan 03, 2013
Only one. . . blessed are the 'barren'! For they shall inherit the blokos of the 'HOLY GHOST' like the VaJin Maria!
Mu che che che che che che
Time to pooooooooose in a 'london hospital' with 'hospital gown' for 'fertility proof' . . . or die like "Perv"!. . . crippled womb! tongue

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by desertboom(m): 9:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
Vikin: Awww....and look at me, trying to have just one!

It's good to reconsider, maybe a minimum of two will be fine.

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by trendystuf(f): 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2013
I agree with you @ desertbloom.
Boring-YES, Lonely when my folks are not around-YES
It will be worse when u eventually get married.
When I got married a few years back, I could remember my mum crying and my dad just braved up, i knew he could feel it inside but been a man, he controlled himself.
I am married now with kids. I take my kids regularly to see my folks.

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by k2039: 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2013
[color=soyouquotedme]I'm the only child of my mum and all you said isn't true, I have a lot of cousins, the relationship with my cousins is like that of siblings, by the way I have a couple of good and great friends too.

For me to have a sibling, he/she doesn't have to come out of the same uterus I came out from, I have a couple of brotherly and sisterly relationship with my cousins and friends.

Besides I love the honor of being the one and only.
[/color]

8 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by otikpoko(m): 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2013
Two will just fine.
Like two years gap.
Don't want boredom to kill my child tongue

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Ymodulus: 10:23pm On Jan 03, 2013
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]

[/color]
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by elvis07: 10:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
It has not been an easy ride, folks waant u to call everyday if they call and u don't pick then panic starts. Its not just easy and I won't advice dat for any1

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by dopeJemi: 10:28pm On Jan 03, 2013
Op

I feeL ur Pain mahn

My parents knew hau tough it was 4 me dat dey had 2 bring my cousins 2 Leave wiv us temporariLy

4 12 years, I was d onLy chiLd, buh wen my mum finalLy gave birth, she had parted ways wiv my dad, nau she has 3 chiLdren dat av not seen, just wen I tot I was gonna av a kid bro, she Left

Its sad
cry sad
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by 80million1: 10:33pm On Jan 03, 2013
*speechless*

when a thread is opened for how it feels to be a LAST BORN,then i'll comment!

10 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Smhart1(f): 10:35pm On Jan 03, 2013
Iono how pple in question feels..... 4 my house we plenty
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by yindamola: 10:48pm On Jan 03, 2013
Vikin: Awww....and look at me, trying to have just one!

. Plssss reconsider!! I soo don't lyk being the only child, its soo lonely. Even though I have lots of cousins I still wish for a sister or brother. Some people don't even make it easy, they start having this odd behaviour towards peeps like us, like we are eggs, fragile and all. Some are even reluctant to be friends with you cos u are an only child. I wish.....
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by thorpido(m): 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2013
I wonder if they end up spoilt too.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by DANILSA(m): 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]I'm the only child of my mum and all you said isn't true, I have a lot of cousins, the relationship with my cousins is like that of siblings, by the way I have a couple of good and great friends too.

For me to have a sibling, he/she doesn't have to come out of the same uterus I came out from, I have a couple of brotherly and sisterly relationship with my cousins and friends.

[/color]
come bros ye i think say you been tell us say ur papa na prof and ur brodas and sistas get am for bsc, how come u com declare single son for here? Just curious.

7 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by billionman: 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
#80million:
*speechless*

when a thread is opened for how it feels to be a LAST BORN,then i'll comment!

So you are still speechless I thought you said you were no longer going to be speechless this year Or have you broken your resolution so soon Lol

@topic I know a family, the man is a prof of public health (medical doctor) and a UNICEF ambassador while the wife is also a prof too. They have just a daughter who is grown up now. But she never enjoyed the company of the parents for the period I knew her cos the parents were always travelling within and outside the country for academic.seminars and functions. She enjoyed the company of church members who were like a family to her. She will always tell me that we don't, know how Lucky we are to have sinkings. I can still remember that she will never study to the level of been a prof cos she want to have time for her children unlike her parents. Now she is studying law and thank God for the parents cos they now spend time with her unlike b4.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by valenlabella(f): 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
I felt the loneliness a lot when I was very young and it made me to be quite introverted as a child. However as I grew older, I made a lot of friends and really came out of my shell (can even be described as a bit of a wild child grin)
Besides there are a few benefits of being an only child e.g. having your own space, special status...

And no I wasn't spoilt...just slightly over pampered. tongue

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by DANILSA(m): 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
dopeJemi: Op

I feeL ur Pain mahn

My parents knew hau tough it was 4 me dat dey had 2 bring my cousins 2 Leave wiv us temporariLy

4 12 years, I was d onLy chiLd, buh wen my mum finalLy gave birth, she had parted ways wiv my dad, nau she has 3 chiLdren dat av not seen, just wen I tot I was gonna av a kid bro, she Left

Its sad
cry sad
le me understand ur story well, so as she leave ur papa na so belle enter, something is wrong somewere,did ur d................
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by DisGuy: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
dont know how to describe it

though I like not having to look after one little brat
or tell 'my' sister how evil boys are cheesy

but there comes a time when your uncle/aunty will be poking their nose in with

"you know you're the only one and your mum needs a grandson" to which i'll reply

she'd better get her swag on she might just be able to pop one more who would do just that! lipsrsealed
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by CzarChris(m): 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2013
To be honest, to be an only child is a curse i wouldn't even wish on my worst enermy.

I was an only child for 16yrs, before my mum gave birth to my kid sister. My dad overprotective, let me not talk about my mum, her's was an obsession. Everybody was on my case back then, the teachers, the neighbours even the church pastors to gain favour from my dad, anything i did was reported eyes/spies where everywhere.

The pampering was so much I actually developed an inferiority complex in primary school and early secondary school, cause everybody avoided me and my dad didn't even want me to have friends then, he was just too over-protective.
My best friend then was a portion of the wall in my room, i talked to it, played soccer with it*Damn*(I believe it helped me develope an active imagination).But the loneliness was killing.

When my mum had my sis I was just overjoyed that the attention has shifted from me. But later i became jealous cos she practically took all the attention and I was getting non..lol(a classic case of be careful wat u wish for).

But we have matured into very best friends now. Thank God for that, and she is in S.S 1 now.

Its the pressure from all sides now to get married following my dad's death that's really pissing me off now.

4 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Kslib(m): 11:21pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mehn,it aint easy oh...
Lonliness: i have so gotten used to it that i like isolating myself from people and being alone... Mum keeps treating me like a little child,if i no gree eat,she go dey vex say i dey starve myself....
I always compromise to always make her happy cos i dont want her to feel like i'm taking advantage of being her only child...
Mum always likes to dictate how i should live my life and gets angry when i oppose...
Inshort,being the only child has made me shun most of what i liked doing cos i want to always make my mum happy... It aint easy atall... I jealous people who have siblings and wish i had one,but there are some things in life that you just cant get..
Well my mum loves me to pieces that it scares the hell out of me to disappoint her.. So i'm always under pressure in how i behave and live my life....
Mum wants to know my friends,where i go and my private life and all.. Like seriously,WTF...
Lastly and most importantly,mum thinks she owns my life and wants me to live it to her taste... The thing don tire me but i no wan break this woman heart cos women are fragile....

5 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Idowuogbo(f): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
Kslib: Mehn,it aint easy oh...
Lonliness: i have so gotten used to it that i like isolating myself from people and being alone... Mum keeps treating me like a little child,if i no gree eat,she go dey vex say i dey starve myself....
I always compromise to always make her happy cos i dont want her to feel like i'm taking advantage of being her only child...
Mum always likes to dictate how i should live my life and gets angry when i oppose...
Inshort,being the only child has made me shun most of what i liked doing cos i want to always make my mum happy... It aint easy atall... I jealous people who have siblings and wish i had one,but there are some things in life that you just cant get..
Well my mum loves me to pieces that it scares the hell out of me to disappoint her.. So i'm always under pressure in how i behave and live my life....
Mum wants to know my friends,where i go and my private life and all.. Like seriously,WTF...
Lastly and most importantly,mum thinks she owns my life and wants me to live it to her taste... The thing don tire me but i no wan break this woman heart cos women are fragile....
Awwww... Kai! To date go hard u o! Damn! shocked
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by jadelyn007(f): 11:26pm On Jan 03, 2013
Nufin much,its just dat lonliness could set in a few times buh if u maintain a good realtionshp wt ur cousins then u gat nufin to worry abt.d only advantage is dat u get all d attention u need
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by OmolodMilkman93(m): 11:26pm On Jan 03, 2013
I was an only child 4 almst 2decades,..... Its kul, kinda fun, I had my Video Games to kip me company, and a lota friends so I neva got bored,....abt d pampering, I was a little bit pampered by dad, bt I neva got spoilt,...... bt my mum started feelin my absence wen I went to skul... Tank God she has anoda boy nw,....
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by desertboom(m): 11:48pm On Jan 03, 2013
trendystuf: I agree with you @ desertbloom.
Boring-YES, Lonely when my folks are not around-YES
It will be worse when u eventually get married.
When I got married a few years back, I could remember my mum crying and my dad just braved up, i knew he could feel it inside but been a man, he controlled himself.
I am married now with kids. I take my kids regularly to see my folks.

Sister, you understand the situation better. Many at times I wonder how life will be like for my parents when I finally get married and move out of the house to stay on my own.

I wonder, who will take good care of my parents when I finally leave
Maybe, we'll all have to stay together both my wife and parents as one family. Yes, that will be the best option. Yes, yes and yes

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 03, 2013
#80million:
*speechless* when a thread is opened for how it feels to be a LAST BORN,then i'll comment!
[size=21pt] and also how does it feels to be an only son [/size]
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by k2039: 12:01am On Jan 04, 2013
DANILSA:
come bros ye i think say you been tell us say ur papa na prof and ur brodas and sistas get am for bsc, how come u com declare single son for here? Just curious.

[color=soyouquotedme]I have other siblings from my dad, but I have never met them.

I stay with my mum and she is responsible for my upbringing. I'm her only child.

So since I have never met my other siblings, the Op's post applies to me too.

Are you still curious?.
[/color]

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Kslib(m): 12:09am On Jan 04, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Awwww... Kai! To date go hard u o! Damn! shocked
Well,not really.. If there is one thing i know how to do is to adapt perfectly.. Although,let me admit,it's kinda hard sha cos during most of my teen years i was isolated from the opposite sex(cos mum was over protective.. I mean over over),thus making me feel ackward in the presence of the opposite sex.. But am adapting sha...
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 04, 2013
It's boring!
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Idowuogbo(f): 12:25am On Jan 04, 2013
Kslib:
Well,not really.. If there is one thing i know how to do is to adapt perfectly.. Although,let me admit,it's kinda hard sha cos during most of my teen years i was isolated from the opposite sex(cos mum was over protective.. I mean over over),thus making me feel ackward in the presence of the opposite sex.. But am adapting sha...
Wow! Adapting? Are u allowed dates? Or mum still butts in...Sorry o! Just curious. embarassed
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Truckpusher(m): 12:32am On Jan 04, 2013
You stole the question from my mouth...this is a serious integrity issue.
DANILSA:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How's Your Relationship With Your Parent / Help: Television Series Wants To Ruin My Marriage / bugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.