Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (462683 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:31am On Jan 10, 2007
@christino where are thou? am still with this issue but i learnt a solution was to add an extra initialization string. so do u know whats celtel sTring? or better still just help me out anyway u can. @mimoh ye haven't been on this thread for a long time. what ye have to say?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Christino(m): 12:42am On Jan 10, 2007
Mimoh's done with his exams, will holla @ him 2moro.

Dunno d celtel string stuff.

Is your stuff connecting now? Maybe u need 2 enter the proxy and port settings on internet explorer.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:34am On Jan 10, 2007
i don tire for this celtel stuff it refused to connect just post your connection settings thnx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Christino(m): 9:43am On Jan 10, 2007
how do i get my settings to post?

I just used dial up networking wizard to set it up.

Which phone are you using by the way?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:26am On Jan 10, 2007
motorola l6
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2007
Hey guys have been battling wit Suse over sound issue wat happen is that it plays MP3 out of the box but does not play sound but sees my sound card don't know what else 2 do but i must have confess its smashing but has the stuffs of Redhat any noob will find it hard cos it does not have graphical login screen and after login
name and password you'll
have 2 type startx if any knows what can be done 2 correct the stuff. All the hype about SUSE no be lie ooocheesy cheesy cheesy. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Niggy(m): 4:09pm On Jan 10, 2007
Do this
vi /etc/inittab

change the line with defaults:3 [/b]to [b]5
save and reboot

you should get the graphical login now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:50pm On Jan 10, 2007
thats weird i wonder why it doesn't work with your sound card why don't you download your windows sound driver then use ndsiwrapper that should do the trick.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 10:12pm On Jan 11, 2007
I think Suse fumbled men the thing worked fine except this sound issue and Afo you said i should use my windows driver it actually support linux but redhat 7.0 and 6.0 so i untar it and tried but did not work so i think i will revert back to Kubuntu cos it support my hardware fine and i want 2 start teaching my siblings computer and i want 2 start wit linux before windows. Aside from the sound issue the Suse still possess some stuff that i find  rather primitive and hard for a person that has no knowledge whatsoever in computer so am sticking 2 Ubuntu or Kubuntu in terms of training my siblings. Niggy the stuff did not work but thanks for the help. With me  its penguin for life just like Chelsea (blue) for life   cool cool cool

cool wink cheesy cry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:23pm On Jan 11, 2007
@esquire plz do your siblings a favour and hide windows from them as much as possible. pack your pc with lots of eye candy beryl games anything that will make them stick to linux like glue. a piece of advise get the programs they really need and perform some magic . guys if you have a web cam or a nice imaging device its time to pull some crazy stunts with zoneminder. imagine you viewing your house from a remote pc or a suitable mobile phone.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:43am On Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for those piece of advice. With little eye candy stuff from KDE.org Kubuntu will be smashing cos have seen and feel the 6.10 interface men its really cool. Whats zoneminder and where can i get it cos gettin a usb webcam is never a problem. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:51am On Jan 12, 2007
just go to zoneminder.com also kde 4 would soon be out and ubuntu fiesty fawn is being tested so its due for release real soon
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 2:34am On Jan 14, 2007
Just install Kubuntu 6.06 and its hanging and the same thing happens 2 Suse it hangs a lot but i burnt the cd well cos i used the lowest speed available on my drive and it hangs alot. Kubuntu is also hanging and i test the cd before installation its was ok and Ubuntu or Kubuntu has never hang for once before i don't know where the trouble lies. Cheerio  sad undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:29am On Jan 14, 2007
i still have some live cd's if u're interested
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:52am On Jan 18, 2007
Installed Kubuntu back after about 4 or 5 trial and its configured like before sono more travails. I will go the cafe 2 upgrade to 6.10 and will also install beryl before bringing it back home. Afo are you doing your posts with your phone since you said you had problem with ppp link stuff i also had that problem i used a bluetooth dongle with nokia 3650 it connected but did not browse then i used sendo X it connected 4 bout 3 seconds cos the AVG update windows launched immediately but later complained and gave me ppp link error. Lastly i use my phone thru usb cable it sees my modem but gave me ppp link error i tried everything it displayed as possible cause of error all na lie. Cheerio cry cry cry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:31am On Jan 18, 2007
am still having the ppp problem and i have some reasons to believe that its from celtel.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 6:53pm On Jan 18, 2007
well fellow nigerians,

I like this idea abt ubuntu. well i requested 4 free cds from their site. I made up my mind cos i want to explore linux cos i want to be working on it.  It seems its the best linux distro 4 beginners. Well I am confused cos i saw kubuntu and edubuntu and xubuntu

Are these 3 a difft disto from the ubuntu community?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 7:54pm On Jan 18, 2007
Afo whats that ndsiwrapper how can i get it post me the link and how 2 go bout it. Peace and Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:58pm On Jan 18, 2007
ubuntu,kubuntu,edubuntu are all the same the difference is just the way they look and the applications that comes with it. but i'll always recommend kubuntu for new comers. i still have some cds left
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Najm(m): 1:15pm On Jan 25, 2007
This is an interesting piece.But why did u opt for Ubuntu instead of Redhat, i thot tht was d coolest distribution.I am planning to install Redhat(making it dual with Win XP) on my laptop soon,so i'd like to know your views and how to go about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:45pm On Jan 25, 2007
ubuntu is the best even for beginners what made me prefer windows over linux was red hat 9 and what made me prefer linux to windows was ubutu. Red hat isn't a distro 4 beginners and red hat 9 is outdated
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mimohmi(m): 1:48pm On Feb 06, 2007
Hi guys,
Sorry for the break, just had to pursue some stuff after
my exam. Thank for not forgeting me. The quest for
that freedom continues. Just for information Ubuntu
certification is out.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Christino(m): 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2007
Nice 2 have u back man.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mimohmi(m): 3:44pm On Feb 09, 2007
@Christino and adewaleafolabi
Have been trying connect my ubuntu laptop to
my company LAN, the system uses a window
2003 server and runing dhcp. When i connected the
laptop with my interface setting, I could see other
systems on the network but can not connect to the
net. can someone help me out.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Christino(m): 7:33pm On Feb 10, 2007
But can you access the internet?

You may not be able to connect to other systems but you should be able to browse. Secondly, other windows pcs use the network setup wizard, i don't know if there is an equivalent in Ubuntu. Check your workgroup/domain settings cos most companies have one. And also if other systems have a DNS server address or default gateway you may need to enter those too.

Can you see your laptop from the other systems?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mimohmi(m): 2:44pm On Feb 20, 2007
@Christino

Whao, am back with my ubuntu, was able to connect to the
net. I had to setup my browser to point to the LAN proxy
address. Also setup the system proxy by editing my .bashrc
file as root. Quite an experience. What is left is connecting
to the LAN printer.
Imagine, using Linux in mist of window users, well, that's the
challenge.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:12pm On May 20, 2007
men this thread is dying where is everybody, okay guys i need you to sign this petition, its supposed to make the game manufacturers to create a linux installer
http://www.petitiononline.com/ibpfl/petition.html
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Christino(m): 10:22pm On May 20, 2007
I'm signing 10! shocked grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by funsho777: 1:52pm On May 22, 2007
That is a nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 8:06am On May 23, 2007
Just installed Ubuntu.

No source headers for the Kernel?!

No built in compiler?!!

INIT doesn't work right off the bat?!

Ubuntu seems to be aimed at marginalising the power user! Its either a GUI-less server or totally bloody useless!!!!! Naija internet connections suck, so sitting around doing apt-get from morning till night after a full install is not my idea of a great OS.

Then there's the whole root disabled on desktop version thing, what?!?!?!?!

I think all this hype is more damaging than helpful to Ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by rozilla(m): 4:37am On May 24, 2007
@dakmanzero

root is not disabled. it's been replaced by the sudo command for enhanced security.

[url=http://clickafricana.com/forum/index.php/topic,12.0.html]The Official Ubuntu Book[/url]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 8:05am On May 24, 2007
dude

sudo has been in unix/linux from the dawn of time

We've always had the option of sudo-ing in distros that respect our intelligence

I dont need some idiot distro *forcing* me to sudo when i want to su

root is disabled by default in ubuntu. You have to re-enable it before you can function like a sensible person

Just to get vmware tools working, I had to battle with kernel recompilation and the inexplicable lack of gcc/devtools/kernelsource headers. What the Hell?!??!?!?! those are the LIFEBLOOD of unix!!!!!! How dare they remove them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.