Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463393 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by skywalker240(m): 9:17am On Jul 29, 2021
purplekayc:
just downloaded
If i do, how do I go about the process of installing it to run in my Chromebook
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Deicide: 12:07pm On Jul 29, 2021
purplekayc:
u mean sdb1?.
I tried this earlier but did not work.

No you would see the sdb mount point in fstab when you run sudo fdisk -l that why I said sdX the X can be anything depending on the result.

Yes install those stuff and try again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 12:42am On Aug 01, 2021
Is it possible to pause ba file while being transferred from a hdd to the desktop and resume the transfer later?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:34am On Aug 06, 2021
purplekayc:
Guys am having trouble mounting my external hdd with my debian OS but my other system running Linux mint mounts it easily. How can I resolve this.
I've attached a Pic

As someone noted
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils should have you fixed. Debian upstream does not shit with exfat (userspace) drivers because it is not free and MS might have a patent claim to it. Debian based Distro don't mind and shit with it so while you won't have the issue with debian mint or Ubuntu debian upstream follow a different best of rules.

Force mounting a with "mount" is not necessary in a modern Linux, udev handles that automatically.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 8:19am On Aug 06, 2021
bigrovar:

As someone noted
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils should have you fixed. Debian upstream does not shit with exfat (userspace) drivers because it is not free and MS might have a patent claim to it. Debian based Distro don't mind and shit with it so while you won't have the issue with debian mint or Ubuntu debian upstream follow a different best of rules.

Force mounting a with "mount" is not necessary in a modern Linux, udev handles that automatically.
. I've resolved the issue.. With

noted
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

I'll reformat the drive to NTFS afterwards
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Busch: 2:17pm On Aug 19, 2021
Hey gurus, I new to the whole Linux experience and the whole thing looks overwhelming, read this group chats from 1 but I didn't reach the 170 mark lol. Where's the best place to start for a beginner please and how can you build up your linix experience all through to advance levels.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Deicide: 2:20pm On Aug 19, 2021
Busch:
Hey gurus, I new to the whole Linux experience and the whole thing looks overwhelming, read this group chats from 1 but I didn't reach the 170 mark lol. Where's the best place to start for a beginner please and how can you build up your linix experience all through to advance levels.
Do you want to be a Linux system admin?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 9wila: 8:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Deicide: 1:38pm On Aug 21, 2021
for Linux thread...............geraraa here
9wila:
Lol. How to download and install windows 11

https://www.wilatech.com/2021/07/how-to-download-and-install-window-11.html?m=1
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 2:55pm On Aug 21, 2021
9wila:
Lol. How to download and install windows 11

https://www.wilatech.com/2021/07/how-to-download-and-install-window-11.html?m=1
is it even out?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Wapgod(m): 5:29am On Aug 23, 2021
Hey guys,
I need a cheap(used), powerful and power efficient, quiet and portable server to host local services at home like Email, Chat, VOIP server, nextcloud and Debian Freedombox.
I will install Debian 11 or FreeBSD On the Server.
I need you guys recommendations and where to get that kind of server.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by haywhizzz(m): 3:52pm On Aug 26, 2021
Hello guys
I am a software developer and I use ruby on rails, so I had a lot of issues with windows and ruby on rails compatibility on my former laptop which is spoilt now and I wanna get another laptop, so I'd like my new laptop to run Ubuntu from start, what is the best option?
Do I use virtual box or dual boot, I don't even really know the difference between the two I have just been seeing it online
How do I go about it abeg
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Wapgod(m): 5:14pm On Aug 29, 2021
haywhizzz:
Hello guys
I am a software developer and I use ruby on rails, so I had a lot of issues with windows and ruby on rails compatibility on my former laptop which is spoilt now and I wanna get another laptop, so I'd like my new laptop to run Ubuntu from start, what is the best option?
Do I use virtual box or dual boot, I don't even really know the difference between the two I have just been seeing it online
How do I go about it abeg
Try it first using a virtual machine.
Get good at using the os and the terminal.
I have instructions on how to set up ruby on rails on GNU/Linux.
Contact me if you want though.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by skywalker240(m): 6:26pm On Sep 03, 2021
AshipaEk0[/quote:

You can enable the Linux subsystem on a Chromebook and run native Linux apps directly.

That's a more sensible option and you can run proper apps like GIMP to save your Corel draw fixation.

Check if the Linux beta option is available in your settings and enable it.

Turn on Linux (Beta)

At the bottom right, select the time.
Select Settings .
Under "Linux (Beta)," select Turn On.
Follow the steps on the screen. Setup can take 10 minutes or more.
A terminal window opens. You have a Debian 10 (Buster) environment. You can run Linux commands, install more tools using the APT package manager, and customize your shell.

nice peice.

another thing, how can i get the link & way to download a linux base (gallium os) to my asus c300 chromebook and how do i install them?

my chromebook os has reached its end of life support, so its getting useless because i cant even download with it.

i fear and detest that esc, chrsx bla bla method
Re: Ubuntu Linux by skywalker240(m): 7:31pm On Sep 03, 2021
Bunsenbun:
what About Your Ram and processor speed?.i would advise you to use the lightweight flavours of ubuntu like lubuntu or kubuntu.personally i use puppy os as my main with kali as secondary os.
how about gallium distros on a 2gb ram asus c300 chromebook?

is it too heavy or compatible?

how do one even install them?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by skywalker240(m): 8:02am On Sep 07, 2021
Na so una be?
na so una de do?

Na wa oh, all the questions am asking, nobody just want to reply me, isoryte,
no be say i wear maskurade for face ask the question oo
it is well.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by qtguru(m): 4:04pm On Sep 07, 2021
skywalker240:
Na so una be?

na so una de do?

Na wa oh, all the questions am asking, nobody just want to reply me, isoryte,

no be say i wear maskurade for face ask the question oo

it is well.

You have the same strength to check Google, we all use proper laptops.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by skywalker240(m): 7:45pm On Sep 07, 2021
qtguru:

You have the same strength to check Google, we all use proper laptops.
Beleive me Sir, if i had the strenght, i wouldnt have asked, besides nairalanders with experience would give you direct and detailed scope of what you want, i mean faster acess unlike Google with a vast ocean of answers with same focus with different methods, that means page after page and sites after sites.

hope you grab wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by qtguru(m): 7:51pm On Sep 07, 2021
skywalker240:

Beleive me Sir, if i had the strenght, i wouldnt have asked, besides nairalanders with experience would give you direct and detailed scope of what you want, i mean faster acess unlike Google with a vast ocean of answers with same focus with different methods, that means page after page and sites after sites.

hope you grab wink

Chromebooks are slow, very slow but let me search one that makes sense
itsfossDOTcom/install-linux-chromebook/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by skywalker240(m): 7:57pm On Sep 07, 2021
qtguru:

Chromebooks are slow, very slow but let me search one that makes sense itsfossDOTcom/install-linux-chromebook/
thanks, let me check this one, ill get back to you.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by airsaylongcome: 11:17am On Sep 19, 2021
bigrovar:
Looking for an IT administrator grounded in Linux and very curious and open to learning. Knowledge of Mac administration is also an advantage. The role is for a popular fintech. You can buzz me bigbrovar on Gmail.

Was this role ever filled? Coming of reddit and our Telegram chat about raspberry pis and other SBCs
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kubernetes: 7:13am On Sep 21, 2021
Are you conversant with Linux operating system?
Are you a system admin that likes remote work etc?
Buy this mini hardware that works like a raspberry pi.

Specifications:
CPU: 1GHz Single-Core AllWinner R8 ARM Cortex-A8
GPU: ARM Mali 400
RAM: DDR3
Storage: 4GB eMMC
Networking: 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
Ports: 1x USB, Analogue TRRS AV, 2x 40-pin GPIO (1x 25-pin on PocketCHIP)
Display (PocketCHIP): 4.25in, 480 x 272 backlit resistive touch LCD
Size (CHIP) (mm): 62.9 x 41.3 x 14.8
Weight (CHIP): 30g
Size (PocketCHIP) (mm): 112.5 x 165.1 x 26.2
Weight (PocketCHIP): 267g

I currently have two pieces and want to dispose one.

Mail me if your interested.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Saskay44: 10:31am On Sep 26, 2021
Please can I load a bootable os on my PC using a hard drive
Re: Ubuntu Linux by qtguru(m): 2:31pm On Sep 26, 2021
Saskay44:

I changed my laptop and just put in my linux HDD and everything worked as normal, so yes

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Saskay44: 2:44pm On Sep 26, 2021
qtguru:

I changed my laptop and just put in my linux HDD and everything worked as normal, so yes
can't I just install it on my hd with an external hd
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Deicide: 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2021
Saskay44:
can't I just install it on my hd with an external hd
No
Re: Ubuntu Linux by williams85(m): 6:12pm On Sep 27, 2021
Saskay44:
yes very possible..
I have ubuntu on my 32gb flash drive, instead of partitioning my mac.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by AshipaEk0: 7:07pm On Oct 14, 2021
skywalker240:

nice peice.

another thing, how can i get the link & way to download a linux base (gallium os) to my asus c300 chromebook and how do i install them?

my chromebook os has reached its end of life support, so its getting useless because i cant even download with it.

i fear and detest that esc, chrsx bla bla method

I rarely visit Nairaland these days so I'm just seeing this.

Does that device not have a 32bit processor?

Personally I'd say your best option is the Linux subsystem on that chrome os,

I don't know anything about GalliumOS but I'm sure you've seen this guide by someone using your particular device: https://lvlegabyte./2016/08/10/linux-gallium-os-on-my-asus-c300-chromebook/

Best of luck. Though I'd recommend getting a more recent (and proper) device if interested in Linux.

Chromebooks are Chromebooks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by happydude: 4:40am On Nov 07, 2021
Good morning everyone, please how do I install latex draw on my PC, please does anyone know how to do it please I need ur help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by masterfactor(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2021
happydude:
Good morning everyone, please how do I install latex draw on my PC, please does anyone know how to do it please I need ur help
join the telegram group
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Deicide: 10:18am On Nov 20, 2021
What distribution are you using?
happydude:

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.