Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria (6095 Views)

O-Levels, A-Levels & Exam Preparation Home Tutor in Abuja / Where Can I Get Adult Education In Lagos / Pls Any Information On Adult Education Centers In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by Wilfredng: 11:33am On Jan 04, 2013
Although deciding to go back to attend school as an adult is not so uncommon among our parents, it can be challenging finding money, worrying about tests and examinations. Older and self employed parents even find it harder leaving business or work for school. But can you compare the stress to the price for Illiteracy? A wise man would say No! Going back to school can be stressful for adult students but these five tips can make life a bit easier.

#1: Make your study time fit your schedule

You have a full life already. For most youthful students, going to school is their job. You may very well have a full-time job plus a relationship, children, and a home to care for. You’re going to have to manage your study time if you’re adding school to your already busy schedule.

Choose the hours that make the most sense for you (early morning? noon? after dinner?), and mark them in your date book or planner. You now have a date with yourself. When something comes up during those hours, stay strong, politely decline, and keep your date to study. Read my article on [Personal time management] to gain some ideas.

#2: Apply for Financial Aids/Work and Study

Unless you’ve won a lottery, money is an issue for almost everyone going back to school. Remember that scholarships aren’t just for young students. Many are available to older students, working moms, non-traditional students of all kinds. Search online for scholarships, ask your school what kind of financial aid they offer, and while you’re there, ask about work on campus if you’ve got a few extra hours available.

#3: Manage Test/Exam Anxiety

No matter how hard you’ve studied, tests can be stressful. There are lots of ways to manage your anxiety, assuming you’re prepared, of course, which is the first way to reduce test stress. Resist the urge to cram right up to test time. Your brain will function more clearly if you:

#4: Always Sleep Well!

One of the most important things you can do when learning anything new is to sleep! Not only do you need the energy and revitalization that sleep provides before a test, your brain needs sleep to catalog learning. Studies have shown that people who sleep between learning and testing score much higher than those who haven’t slept. Get your forty winks before testing and you’ll do much better.

#5: Find a Support Group/system

So many non-traditional students are going back to school that many schools have websites or organizations set up to support you.

Get online and search for "non-traditional students"
Stop at your school’s front office and ask if they have help in place for non-traditional students
Introduce yourself to other students like yourself and support each other.

Don’t be shy. Get involved. Almost every non-traditional student has some of the same concerns you do.

You love this? Then share it with others. Click here to consult me if you would need my support on anything.

Article Source: http://thewilfreds.com/5-tips-for-embarking-on-adult-education/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by 3rdlegxxx(m): 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
hmmm ok, just passing through though
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by soleexx(m): 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Okay na

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by kennyman2000(m): 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Okay... Might be helpful for my neighbour.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband.
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by Megapauli: 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Thoughtful and insightful post op, more grease
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by suxes2005(m): 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Well, funding is the main thing but I'm yet to see scholarship for adult edu in NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by costandi(m): 6:47pm On Jan 04, 2016
To school as an adult aint easy oo.

But what I like about these adults in school is that they are always focused.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by BruzMoney(m): 6:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
Adult Education that they will be teaching someone in class and he/she will be thinking of how the kids will eat. you will even teach some today and they will forget before 2mao..

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by soleexx(m): 6:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
For them
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Am i seeing things or this thread was created 2 years ago
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by adedam007(m): 7:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
T
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by TheNextAce: 8:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
This made front page and no one commented... Interesting.
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by etcme(m): 8:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
Most times, those who attends this Adult Education are there just to learn to read and write.
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by fattbabakay(m): 9:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
Issokayyy
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by BJO: 9:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
Good points!

But obviously, not practicable in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by xender(m): 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2016
so this has been on front page 4 more than three hours yet ..

less than 20coments. ayaar
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by oluamid(m): 11:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
Obviously not written for Nigerians.
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by mikolo80: 6:27am On Jan 05, 2016
night and weekend classes
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by erne: 12:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
ADULT SCHOOL GBAGADA:

Come And Learn How To Read, Speak, Spell And Write GOOD ENGLISH In 3 Months.
Call: 08139458588, 08053408939
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by erne: 12:42pm On Apr 28, 2016
ADULT SCHOOL GBAGADA:

Come And Learn How To Read, Speak, Spell And Write GOOD ENGLISH In 3 Months.
Call: 08139458588, 08053408939
Re: 5 Tips For Embarking On Adult Education In Nigeria by babytejiri(m): 5:58am On Apr 30, 2017
The factors militating against adult education in Nigeria has posed serious problems on the part of both participants, instructors and the organizers, since the introduction of adult education in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Did You Even Know These Animals Existed – Let Alone Them Having Such Cute Babies / My Diagram Vs What A Pupil Drew (pics) / Nlng Undergraduate Scholarship 2013/2014: How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.