Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Is Church Attendance Compulsory? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Church Attendance Compulsory? (9354 Views)

How Biblical Is Church Wedding? / Why Is Church Politics Worse Than Nigerian Politics / Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by tobechi74: 2:43pm On Jan 05, 2013
IS CHURCH ATTENDANCE IMPORTANT?

A pastor heard that one of his parishioners was going about announcing to one and all that he would no longer attend church services. This rebellious parishioner was advancing the familiar argument that he could communicate with God just as easily out in the fields with nature as his setting for worship. One winter evening, the pastor called on this reluctant member of his flock for a friendly visit. The two men sat before the fireplace making small talk, but studiously avoiding the issue of church attendance. After a while, the pastor took the tongs from the rack next to the fireplace and pulled a single coal from the fire. He placed the glowing ember on the hearth. As the two watched in silence, the coal quickly ceased burning and turned an ashen gray, while the other coals in the fire continued to burn brightly. The pastor's silent message was not lost on the parishioner. After a long pause, he turned to the pastor and said "I'll be back at services next Sunday

8 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by joseph1832(m): 2:47pm On Jan 05, 2013
blah blah blah... does going to church guarantee one a ticket to heaven?

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by AtheistD(m): 3:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
joseph1832: blah blah blah... does going to church guarantee one a ticket to heaven?

I actually liked the story. It was nice and cosy. smiley

The truth however is church these days is just another place for disillusionment and mass scamming. The enterprising of churches is scary. All manner of church related businesses operate outside the church and members put pressure on you to spend.

It might just be better to stay alone in that field.

4 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by joseph1832(m): 5:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
Atheist:-D:

The truth however is church these days is just another place for disillusionment and mass scamming. The enterprising of churches is scary. All manner of church related businesses operate outside the church and members put pressure on you to spend.

Couldn't agree more, later some christian bigot would come here and say "bible says thou shall not forsake the gathering of the brethren" tsk.

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by AtheistD(m): 5:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
joseph1832:
Couldn't agree more, later some christian bigot would come here and say "bible says thou shall not forsake the gathering of the brethren" tsk.

You can gather with others. As long as there is no tithe collecting etc then it is fine.
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by tobechi74: 12:29am On Jan 06, 2013
joseph1832: blah blah blah... does going to church guarantee one a ticket to heaven?
.did u rea it? I doubt it
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by tobechi74: 12:31am On Jan 06, 2013

You can gather with others. As long as there is no tithe collecting etc then it is fine.
u main problem with church is finance
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Joagbaje(m): 7:27am On Jan 06, 2013
tobechi74: IS CHURCH ATTENDANCE IMPORTANT?

A pastor heard that one of his parishioners was going about announcing to one and all that he would no longer attend church services. This rebellious parishioner was advancing the familiar argument that he could communicate with God just as easily out in the fields with nature as his setting for worship. One winter evening, the pastor called on this reluctant member of his flock for a friendly visit. The two men sat before the fireplace making small talk, but studiously avoiding the issue of church attendance. After a while, the pastor took the tongs from the rack next to the fireplace and pulled a single coal from the fire. He placed the glowing ember on the hearth. As the two watched in silence, the coal quickly ceased burning and turned an ashen gray, while the other coals in the fire continued to burn brightly. The pastor's silent message was not lost on the parishioner. After a long pause, he turned to the pastor and said "I'll be back at services next Sunday

Interesting story. Every serious christian ought to know the necessity of church attendance.its not an option. Any contrary opinion is of the flesh

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

It's biblical to attend church services . The early church met regularly on Sundays and daily in private homes

1 Corinthians 11:18
For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that . . .

Any voice contrary to this is a voice of rebellion against the word of God. Find a church and submit yourself to the spiritual authority there.

9 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by joseph1832(m): 8:09am On Jan 06, 2013
tobechi74: .did u rea it? I doubt it
Read what? Where in the bible did it say going to church gives one a first class ticket to heaven?
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by joseph1832(m): 8:12am On Jan 06, 2013
Joagbaje:

Interesting story. Every serious christian ought to know the necessity of church attendance.its not an option. Any contrary opinion is of the flesh

Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

It's biblical to attend church services . The early church met regularly on Sundays and daily in private homes

1 Corinthians 11:18
For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that . . .

Any voice contrary to this is a voice of rebellion against the word of God. Find a church and submit yourself to the spiritual authority there.
Was this part of God's commandments? Going to church? Because I didn't see it in the ten commandments!
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 06, 2013
Where two or more are gathered,am in their midst,says the Lord.
This shows the importance of worshiping among brethens,where lost souls,and backsliders can be revived.

Do not forsake the gathering of the righteous.

2 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by joseph1832(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2013
Yomieluv: Where two or more are gathered,am in their midst,says the Lord.
This shows the importance of worshiping among brethens,where lost souls,and backsliders can be revived.

Righteous? Who's righteous in todays church? A place that has turned into the gathering of rogues, homosexuals, murderers, prostitute etc! Please the church today is far from righteous!

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Iaz93: 10:26am On Jan 06, 2013
SMH . . .
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Skywalker5(m): 10:33am On Jan 06, 2013
Just another method to brainwash people.why do people reference all these things to the way we live life?
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 06, 2013
. undecided thizz st[]ry make sense abegg!!
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 06, 2013
The Kingdom of Heaven is in you.

Isnt that what Jesus said?

Pls everybody should strive to find that wonderful Kingdom locked and hidden inside every one of us.
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by YuzedoII: 10:35am On Jan 06, 2013

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by sharubutu(m): 10:36am On Jan 06, 2013
abeg all na story joo. so what happens to our forefathers who died before the introduction of Christianity and Islam.
Religion; the opium of the masses

3 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 06, 2013
I dey house dey watch TV
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by pinkrex(m): 10:37am On Jan 06, 2013
joseph1832:
Was this part of God's commandments? Going to church? Because I didn't see it in the ten commandments!
. The ten commandments is judaism. Offludaism is the religion Jesus came to preach.. Its hugely pillared on 'fulfilment of the law of Moses' and an exchange of the new law which is 'love'. That's what Jesus preaches! The conscience men possess is now 'the law'.

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by joseph1832(m): 10:42am On Jan 06, 2013
pinkrex: . The ten commandments is judaism. Offludaism is the religion Jesus came to preach.. Its hugely pillared on 'fulfilment of the law of Moses' and an exchange of the new law which is 'love'. That's what Jesus preaches! The conscience men possess is now 'the law'.
And what's the conscience of men my good man?
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by ajailer(m): 10:45am On Jan 06, 2013

Though am a believer but i get worried alot by the stories of the lavish lifestyles our pastors live while majority of their congregation pay for all these through their nose...been a while av been to church cos rationally i just cant bring myself to believe wat is being tot in the church these days that we should just keep on sowing into the church,now i prefer donating my money to the motherless and i'd rather fast,wake up @ nite n pray to God on my own and maybe listen to sermons being preached on Tv.

Yomieluv: Where two or more are gathered,am in their midst,says the Lord.
This shows the importance of worshiping among brethens,where lost souls,and backsliders can be revived

U can always have a fellowship anywhere maybe @ ur house with two or more faithful brethrens...fellowship does not av to be @ the church alone

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by TableLeg(m): 10:46am On Jan 06, 2013
No! You can worship God from the comfort of your home
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by pinkrex(m): 10:47am On Jan 06, 2013
joseph1832: wink
Righteous? Who's righteous in todays church? A place that has turned into the gathering of rogues, homosexuals, murderers, prostitute etc! Please the church today is far from righteous!
Surely, good must exist with evil, however, there must be a 'platform' for the aforementioned to gain relevance. Even while Jesus was with us on earth, the temple was turned into a marketing field.. So are other schemes introduce by 'selfish non-believers' which in-turn shames the name of Christianity. With all been said, I personally believe in personal relationship with God, and even if I have to attend Churches, I don't go to the bigger ones. That's where you find exploitation of all sorts and mis-quotation of biblical verses to back their schemes. If Jesus worshipped humbly, you can. Look for a growing ministry where you feel the presence of God and then even your 'donations' as tithes et al would be primarily used to grow the gospel.# my two pence

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by pinkrex(m): 10:57am On Jan 06, 2013
joseph1832:
And what's the conscience of men my good man?
The ability to discern good from evil. God sees through the heart and not physical holiness. He backed that even more by saying 'thou shall not judge lest be judged'. Judgement is of God alone. If you do anything and your spirit is sync(ed) with God, if its wrong, the holy-spirit (helper and comforter) is to reveal to you while you ask for forgiveness, and if you are on point to what your inner spirit(consciences) then you don't mind what the world sees and interpretes. 'Walking' with the lord is different from 'working' with the lord.

I won't quote much bible verses except when its very imperative today cos I think we have 'manipulated' inter-pretations. Etc what I literarily think and what my Pastor says'. We'll approach this topic very 'realistically' according to our life experiences. God is not just present in the bible, he's in our everyday life.
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by sylve11: 10:58am On Jan 06, 2013
tobechi74: u main problem with church is finance

But he aint telling lies na. grin cool
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 06, 2013
joseph1832:
is that enough reason to stop church? So because people die from accident is enough for you not to buy a car? Spare me that tales.

2 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by Truckpusher(m): 11:08am On Jan 06, 2013
I dey house dey drink my alomo and fresh Brea/st milk...if I take kwale weed join am, which praise and worship wey pass that one?
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by sunnyt1(m): 11:09am On Jan 06, 2013
The devil is doing everything possible to take away christianity from us and to a very large extent, we are making him suceed.
Fact is, the bible is our standard, there is no doubt about that, not doing wat the bible says means ur position as a christian is dicey. People have given up on pastors and religious leaders because of wats happening, bt wateva happens God will neva change.
Watsoeva a pastor makes u feel doesnt change wat christianity is all about. If u believe the bible, then u wudnt argue wit

Attending a church is not the pathway to heaven, its an instruction from God, and how wud u make heaven if u wont obey God's instructions.
Re: Is Church Attendance Compulsory? by pinkrex(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2013

Have you ever been forced to make 'offerings' or pay tithes before? If you don't think its written in the bible, don't pay, you won't be chased out of the church service.

To be honest, greediness begets greediness. A lot of people want 'give a car to God' in order to receive 'five'. Is God a business man? He gives you for free, you can't even trade substance of equality with him. The only Sacrifice God requires from you is just righteousness, dedication, love and prayers. If he gives to you and you want to give to others cos it was given to you, then nobody should ask or even know when you give. Its very simple.

We just follow greedy rules and suffer greedy consequences.

No man of God will tell me to give an aeroplane to receive a private jet. God doesn't take to give. His blessings and benevolence are too abundance to go bankrupt or request for exchanges. When you touch lives, seek the common people that you are sure it will touch. You little 'thousands' can't touch your 'black suit' pastor except your billions.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Book Of Enoch And Should It Be In The Bible? / Names Of Jesus Christ In Alphabetical Order / How Do You Personally Hear From God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.