Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway (7512 Views)

The Co*k-And-Bull Story Of The FG On Smuggled $9.3m to SA - Festus Keyamo / The Aesthetics And Politics Of Oshodi, Lagos. / Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by GeneralJ(m): 1:58am On Jan 07, 2013
Oshodi-Apapa Expressway: Fashola writes FG on worsening condition of the road

LAGOS State Governor, Mr.Babatunde Raji Fashola, has complained to the Federal Government about the worsening condition of the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, a major highway that links the nation’s busiest sea ports to other parts of the country. In separate letters to President Goodluck Jonathan and Vice President Nemadi Sambo, the Governor also drew attention to the horrific traffic congestion on the expressway and the need to take urgent steps to fix the ever-busy road.

But the pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears and the result is that once again, the ever-busy expressway has been plunged into an eyesore and a commuter’s nightmare. Specifically, Governor Fashola had on September, 17, 2012 forwarded a detailed presentation of what should be done to fix the road and ease the traffic congestion to Vice President Namadi Sambo. In the letter entitled “Re: Report of the Deterioration and Regeneration of Apapa, Lagos,” Fashola sought to make a presentation on the state of the road and what the restoration would take, to the National Economic Council.

Proposed presentation to NEC

The letter read in parts: “Further to your Excellency’s indication of no objection to our request to make presentation to the National Economic Council, NEC, on the above subject matter, please find attached for your information, a copy of our proposed presentation to NEC. All necessary copies of the presentation have been forwarded to the NEC Secretariat for listing and further action as may be necessary. We are hopeful that the matter can be listed for the next meeting of NEC and will follow up with the Secretariat in this regard”.

Apparently overwhelmed by the contents of the presentation, the Vice President wrote back to the Governor, suggesting that the matter should be brought to the attention of President Jonathan. In the reply dated October 3, 2013, the Vice President through his Deputy Chief of Staff, Engr. M.A.K Abubakar, stated that in appreciation of the detailed nature of the presentation, which is reckoned to be beyond the consideration of the National Economic Council, NEC, the matter should be brought to the attention of the President for his consideration.

A big pothole at Mile 2, one of the several bad portions on Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, Lagos. Photo:Diran Oshe
Heeding the counsel, Fashola on November 1, 2013, wrote to President Jonathan stressing the need to follow up on the initial successes that were achieved in bringing sanity on the ever-busy road. The letter read in parts: “Your Excellency will recall the deterioration and congestion of vehicular traffic that characterised the Apapa area and Tin-Can Island which host the two largest sea-ports in Nigeria.

“Apart from the congestion and deterioration, the social and economic impacts of closure of businesses and devaluation of real estate values prompted me to direct the commencement of a clean-up and a clear out with a view to commencing a restoration. Because the congestion and deterioration were connected to the operations of the ports and activities of persons dealing with the operations and some Federal Government agencies, we were delighted to get the cooperation of the Federal Government through a delegation led by the Honourable Minister of Finance, who visited us on your directive.

Initial successes

“In a bid to follow up the initial successes that were achieved by the clear-out, our Government developed a restoration plan and a budget. I had written to His Excellency, the Vice President to seek permission to present the plan and the budget at the National Economic Council because of my view of national importance and implication of the consequences if we failed to take further action”.

Vanguard investigations show that deep craters and gully-like potholes have resurfaced at several sections along the expressway, causing unprecedented traffic gridlock. The palliative repairs by the Federal Ministry of Works and its agency, the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, FERMA, which involved pouring laterite and granite on the bad spots, lasted only a few weeks before they were washed away by floods.

Commuters who plied the road a few days to the Christmas, literally went through hell as a result of the traffic snarl which was aggravated by the worsening state of the road and the rush by importers to clear their goods from the ports before the public holidays declared by the Federal Government to mark the festival.

Vanguard gathered that the road would not have gone into its present state of disrepair if the Federal Government which rakes in over a trillion Naira as revenue from the ports, had reacted promptly to various pleas by the Lagos State Government.

The situation, it was learnt, was exacerbated by an apparent disagreement between the Federal Ministry of Transport and the Federal Ministry of Works. The Transport Ministry which rakes about N1.3 trillion from the Apapa and Tin-can ports yearly, allegedly wants to carry out major rehabilitation works on the road but this was rejected by the Works Ministry which wants to be given the funds to do the repairs since it is statutorily empowered to do so.

Restoration plans by Lagos

The restoration plan which Fashola wrote about in the letters were fashioned out by a Lagos State Executive Council committee headed by the Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello. The committee was mandated to work on problems such as the traffic gridlock, business paralysis and environmental degradation currently plaguing the Oshodi-Apapa axis.

The nine-man committee which was set up after the State’s executive council visited the area on April 29, 2012, said it has reduced the traffic gridlock by 70 percent although there are still occasional bottlenecks particularly in the evenings. This gridlock is caused by tankers/trailers as a result of the delay at the entrance to the ports. The Committee said it has also succeeded in dislodging miscreants from under bridges even as all illegal structures have been pulled down.

The Apapa regeneration agenda covers Marine Beach, Ijora 7Up, Costain, Ijora Olopa and their environs. Previous efforts to restore sanity along Oshodi-Apapa Expressway

Vanguard recalls that on May 7, 2012, the Presidential Task Force on Ports Reforms collaborated with the Lagos State Government to dislodge tankers and trailers parked indiscriminately along the ever-busy expressway.

Officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA and the Kick Against Indiscipline KAI also participated in the enforcement. The operation which was carried out in the night, saw to the seizure of over 80 illegally parked trucks from the road, paving way for the free flow of traffic thereafter.

Impressed with the return of orderliness along the road, the Federal Government sent a delegation led by the Finance Minister to Lagos. Receiving the Federal Government delegation, Governor Fashola vowed that the state government would stay on the road for as long as it would take to prevent the dislodged trailers and tankers from returning.

Dr Okonjo-Iweala, together with the Minister of Transport, Idris Umar, and Minister of Works, Mike Onolememen, at a meeting with Fashola, had praised the joint efforts of the Federal and Lagos State governments in restoring sanity to the road. She said the clearing of the road would reduce travel time and cost of doing business at the ports, as goods emanating from the ports would get to their destinations faster and safer.
Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/oshodi-apapa-expressway-fashola-writes-fg-on-worsening-condition-of-the-road/
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by GARRIx7(m): 4:22am On Jan 07, 2013
Ok
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Jaideyone(m): 4:48am On Jan 07, 2013
GEJ is a failure!!!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Dreyl(m): 9:35am On Jan 07, 2013
na wa oh
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by ndala(m): 9:36am On Jan 07, 2013
Jaidey-one:
GEJ is a failure!!!
its too early for dis now? Coward undecided

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Demdem(m): 9:39am On Jan 07, 2013
Good One fashola. Lets see what the retardeen will do about it.

Not that am expecting anything sha undecided

1 Like

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Omexonomy: 9:44am On Jan 07, 2013
Jaidey-one:
GEJ is a failure!!!
b4 u start the insult i ply that road from apapa to oshodi can any body please point out which part is fash talking about. Note i am not a PDP member and i hate lies.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Omexonomy: 9:49am On Jan 07, 2013
Demdem: Good One fashola. Lets see what the retardeen will do about it.

Not that am expecting anything sha undecided

how far long time you still dey do all this ur nonesens. Well sha u must collect salary for this month
b4 u start the insult i ply that road from apapa to oshodi can any body please point out which part is fash talking about. Note i am not a PDP member and i hate lies. Nigeria is full of lies
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Wuse2(m): 9:50am On Jan 07, 2013
NO FG
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by aribisala0(m): 9:50am On Jan 07, 2013
People should take note of the contribution of the port.This is MORE than oil from any state.So all those JOKERS saying LAGOS was built with oil money should take note.Lagos ports contribute MORE than any oil producing state
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by dridowu: 9:52am On Jan 07, 2013
Dat road nid to fix up truly, i pass via d road mon-sat. So Sad
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by naptu2: 9:53am On Jan 07, 2013
The Apapa-Oworonshoki Expressway is one of the most important expressways that we have. It links the Apapa Port, Tin Can Island Port and Murtala Muhammed International Airport to the rest of the country, but sections of the road, particularly around the Apapa area, are in very bad shape (particularly during the rain season).

They also need to solve the problems caused by fuel tankers and articulated trucks.
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by ujukala: 9:57am On Jan 07, 2013
A good move
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by DozieA(m): 9:58am On Jan 07, 2013
Death trap that needs to be fixed angry
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by angelsing(m): 10:01am On Jan 07, 2013
I plight this route everyday and its obvious how bad the road is on both side.. Starting from mile2 just before the bridge(oshodi-apapa). At trinity u also have the same bad road on both side..Not a week goes by without one container falling...federal government shud try and fixed the road. Am tired of spending endless time on that road like i am stuck right now
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by naptu2: 10:03am On Jan 07, 2013
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Okijajuju1(m): 10:06am On Jan 07, 2013
OK...
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Demdem(m): 10:06am On Jan 07, 2013
Omexonomy:
how far long time you still dey do all this ur nonesens. Well sha u must collect salary for this month
b4 u start the insult i ply that road from apapa to oshodi can any body please point out which part is fash talking about. Note i am not a PDP member and i hate lies. Nigeria is full of lies

Who are u? what nonsense is ur miserable kind talking about undecided We are talking about a bad important road here
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by takedat(m): 10:07am On Jan 07, 2013
aribisala0: People should take note of the contribution of the port.This is MORE than oil from any state.So all those JOKERS saying LAGOS was built with oil money should take note.Lagos ports contribute MORE than any oil producing state
CORRECT!!!
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by 1ndidi2(f): 10:07am On Jan 07, 2013
Omexonomy:
b4 u start the insult i ply that road from apapa to oshodi can any body please point out which part is fash talking about. Note i am not a PDP member and i hate lies.

Are u sure its d same apapa-oshodi in lagos!! Cos some parts there are very bad!
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by omonla10(m): 10:08am On Jan 07, 2013
pls GEJ dont repair dat road. dats traffics is where i have d time to check and reply my mails.update my status, log onto nairaland.
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by omiobo: 10:09am On Jan 07, 2013
Kai! Fashola dey lie,uncle Jona don fix that road. ask insincere9eriangrin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by maclatunji: 10:14am On Jan 07, 2013
dedeike: I have waited very patiently to see whether any single person or hater could disprove one single project in that achievement but none is yet to come.
The closest attempt was one who released a catalogue of parastatals which IBB established as conduit pipes for the siphoning of our resources.

It may interest us all to know that the present government seeks to end this culture of waste and profligacy hence the Oronsanye panel which is working towards reducing all these IBB creations numbering well over 250 to 35.

This govt is simply magical given their giant strides in just one year. Permit to rewind these achievements which always scares KOBOJUNKIE, GBAWE and KING O FLAG

In Finance,

finance ministry is carrying out bio metric evaluation of federal civil servants to reduce waste. The checks revealed the pension scam of over 120 billion. There is the new integrated online payment system which helps the minister monitor transfer of public funds. Our foreign reserves have risen again to 37 billion dollars. There's the proposed Soveriegn Wealth Fund to cater for excess oil sale proceeds.

In Energy, a lot of reforms. The president is keen on transparency and thus has set up probes into the sector viz KPMG AUDIT and AIG IMOUKHEDE. The president sought to close the window of corruption by removing subsidy but the cabal misled Labour into a protest. That notwithstanding, the reforms are still ongoing and the full deregulation of the downstream sector being vigorously pursued. Last week, the FG had concluded the PIB which remains a landmark legislation that will revolutionarize the petroleum industry. Refineries are undergoing repairs and an American company, VULCAN is to build six more new refineries.

In roads, Zaria-Funtua-Gusau roads, Oshodi-Apapa with expansion and drainage works, dedicated bridge frm liverpool roundabout to Tin can ports, trailer park, Dualisation of Ibadan -Ilorin, ENUGU-Onitsha, completion of OWERRI -Onitsha, 9th mile, ongoing reconstruction of Benin-Ore-Sagamu highway measuring over 265 km, Kano-Maidugri Dualisation. Keffi -Akwanga-Lafia, award of Afikpo-Okigwe, Auchi-Okene being handled by Setraco. Loko-Eweta-Karishi bridge, Kolo-Nembe -Brass to mention but a few.

In Transport, massive reforms at the ports. Sanitisation and reduction of operating agencies to 7. Introduction of 24 hrs ports operation. Ongoing Construction of light gauge train railways across t4 cardinal point of the federation

In Aviation, massive reconstruction of major airports in the land, Enugu airport is undergoing total rehabilitation. The domestic wing of Abuja airport is also being reconstructed with expansion of roads and car parks. Same fr the international wing and the kano airports

In Education, establishment of 9 new federal universities in less than 1 year. Constructed 2 new campuses of the Nigerian law schools in Yenagoa and Yola respectively. Launched the Almajiri schools for education of itenerant Islamic pupils in the north wFhich Buhari and other northern leaders abandoned. Increased funding to almost 400 billion to education thereby setting an all time highest record. Reinvigorated the inspectorate oversight of schools leading to the revocation of some licenses from universities. Executed the landmark upgrade of university lecturers retirement age from 65 to 70.

In agriculture, for the first time in our history, we have a clearly defined agricultural policy which is targeted towards maximum utilisation of cassava for growth thru the launch of the cassava bread campaign. The policy is intended to reduce our reliance on imported wheat so as to encourage local production of cassava and it's conversion to flour for bakery. The FG has in less than one year eliminated the middlemen cartel that fed fat on fertiliser distribution at the expense of local farmers. Now through deregulation reforms, fertiliser is now accessible in the open market. he has also embarked on massive construction of silos and has increased import duties on the importation of rice in order to encourage local farmers. The efforts of the minister has been so appreciable that the world bank assisted with over 50 billion Naira for fertiliser redistribution scheme/ silos. The CBN has also set up a 500 billion loan scheme which is to assist farmers.

In power, the NIPP has been revived with the subsequent refurbishment of Afam, Alaoji, Calabar, GEREGU, Omotosho, papalanto power plants. This has led to the addition last December of 4,000 megawatts from barely 1700 to the national grid. To address the problem of distribution, the 18 successor companies have been slated for privatization. The media is already awash with news of the proposed privatization next week. The reforms include the review of tariffs in order to ensure a cost reflective tariff that will encourage private sector participation in the building of gas plants. Already, this has started yielding dividends as SPDC has commenced processes towards building a gas plant in IMO state.

@bolded, Dedeike mentioned this same road being rehabilitated as one of GEJ's achievements on July 29, 2012 and Fashola is writing Jonathan on the deplorable state of the same road in January 2013.

This can probably only happen in Nigeria. To make matters worse, they are asking us to allow GEJ do it again. Why won't they? When many Nigerians cannot reason beyond the current frivolity that they will be dashed for voting "GEJ not PDP".

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by naptu2: 10:15am On Jan 07, 2013
We should note that it's not only the Lagos State Government that is complaining about the road (before this degenerates into a PDP vs ACN war). The report states that the Federal Ministry of Transport wants to carry out major repairs on the road, but the Federal Ministry of Works is blocking the move.
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Jaideyone(m): 10:15am On Jan 07, 2013
ndala: its too early for dis now? Coward undecided
it's too early for me to talk about the state of things in my country? You need to have ur head checked for calling me a coward
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by rman: 10:16am On Jan 07, 2013
omonla10: pls GEJ dont repair dat road. dats traffics is where i have d time to check and reply my mails.update my status, log onto nairaland.

NIGERIANS!

Always seeing the fun side in appalling situations.
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Jaideyone(m): 10:18am On Jan 07, 2013
Omexonomy:
oh really? When last did u use that road? I use that road at least once in a week.
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Demdem(m): 10:19am On Jan 07, 2013
maclatunji:

@bolded, Dedeike mentioned this same road being rehabilitated as one of GEJ's achievements on July 29, 2012 and Fashola is writing Jonathan on the deplorable state of the same road in January 2015.

This can probably only happen in Nigeria. To make matters worse, they are asking us to allow GEJ do it again. Why won't they? When many Nigerians cannot reason beyond the current frivolity that they will be dashed for voting "GEJ not PDP".

Dedeike is a known liar on this forum. he plys his trade with the likes of Abati, okupe, lostpope etc.
Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 07, 2013
FG should do something na....

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by naptu2: 10:27am On Jan 07, 2013
maclatunji:

@bolded, Dedeike mentioned this same road being rehabilitated as one of GEJ's achievements on July 29, 2012 and Fashola is writing Jonathan on the deplorable state of the same road in January 2013.

I remember when they were rehabilitating the road (I passed by when they were working on the drainage). The job was undertaken by Julius Berger, but it was not completed.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway by mapet: 10:29am On Jan 07, 2013
@Omexonomy,

1. You're simply a liar.
2. If you truly pass this road from Apapa to Oshodi, then you must know that our of the myriads of pot holes on that road, the ones at (1) shortly before Berger and (2) between Cele and Iyana Isolo are life threatening craters. Anybody not familiar with the road and drives at night will probably be sent to his or her early grave if they run into any of these craters
3. Now tell me, even if you do pass on the road, you mean you're so used to crater ridden roads from whereever you come from that you don't know what a good road should be? Do you value safety or lives at all

some of you are simply unbelievable.........

If you hate lies, please don't spread one.....
Omexonomy:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Makes N909 Billion From VAT in 2017 / Nigeria Owes N25.7 Trillion – DMO / NNPC: We Spent ₦966 Billion On Pipeline Repairs Between 2010 And 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.