Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,803 members, 7,806,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week (15330 Views)

Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites / Jonathan Commissions Geregu-II Power Station / 434 MW Geregu 11 Power-plant Completed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 5:03pm On Jan 09, 2013
ocelot2006:

So, when was the NIPP project initiated? Sincere Nigerian is right on this one. Obj may have initiated the project, but 8 solid years was more than enough period for his administration to achieve something tangible.

OBJ wasted time before he commenced work on NIPP. he unfortunately had other priorities. The NIPP didnt commence until 2003 and not 1999 when he became President. so its wrong for peeps to give an impression that OBJ sat on NIPP for 8yrs. thats simply not true.
Kindly read the below.

http://www.fig.net/pub/fig2010/papers/fs04g/fs04g_ehiorobo_4258.pdf
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Touchforfree(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
Chei ! n na how I go do am now !; I get 60 containers full of generators imported from Germany on top of d sea coming in into d country. I beg pray make we dey use all d turbines pump water for our houses oooooo.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: All these infrastructure being built here and there should be secured because the HATERS and PAY-AS-YOU-GO critics, both fearing lose of relevance and source of income, can sponsor or personally vandalize those infrastructure.

That is the COMPLEXITY of Nigeria. The govt does not only spend money in building infrastructures, it also has to spend money in PROTECTING these infrastructures from the devils in the society.

Oga mi, may your days be long and fruitful.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Arogba: 6:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
SCAMMMMM! The site of this power plant is located within 2km of Ajaokuta steel company, This project was initiated and completed by the Obj administration. The only problem with the plant was gas supply because the existing gas pipeline supplying Ajaokuta steel company was also meant to supply the power plant but after the completion of the project it was discovered that the pipeline had been vandalized since the steel company itself has never really worked.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Arogba: 7:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
Demdem: To those who delight in distorting facts. U can also read this to understand the careful planning of the OBJ's admin on power plants location.

Right on point!
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by awodman: 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
gbadexy:
He stated that with the completion of all
the gas turbine projects, the NIPP
capacity would hit 4,264MW by the end of
2013, adding that there would be follow
up on the outstanding combined cycle for
Alaoji (510MW) this year.

I though the power generation has reached 4300 MW before, which one is this at the end of a whole year again(2013).
I see U̶̲̥̅̊ got a comprehension problem...NIPP CAPACITY WOULD HIT 4264MW..not d whole of the nation's capacity
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
What could be more hypocritical than the same mischief makers, who accuse GEJ of not doing much in his less than 2yrs tenure now expecting us to shower praises on OBJ for bequeting us with uncompleted projects after 8 SOLID years at the helm of affairs. At the moment, there are more than 17,000 abandoned/uncompleted federal govt projects, littered nationwide. How come we have this much abandoned projects, considering the fact that many of our past leaders had ENOUGH TIME to conceive, commence and complete projects. OBJ had 8 SOLID and STABLE years to perform. Abacha had about 5yrs to make an impact. IBB had 8 SOLID and fairly STABLE years to do whatever he wanted. How come the over 17,000 abandoned and uncompleted projects?
To add insult to injury some persons expect us to sing praises of OBJ for bequeting us with his own set of abandoned and uncompleted projects, after 8yrs in power? SMH!
Supposing the president that took over from OBJ didn't believe in the project or didn't give it the seriousness it deserves, then the projects may have been left to rot away after billions of dollars have been expended.
We should also give the credit for the ongoing construction of Lagos metro line to Jakande, who conceived the idea, did the feasibility studies and reached financial closure on the project and would have completed the project in the mid 80's if he were not sacked by Buhari and his gang

2 Likes

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 11:20pm On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What could be more hypocritical than the same mischief makers, who accuse GEJ of not doing much in his less than 2yrs tenure now expecting us to shower praises on OBJ for bequeting us with uncompleted projects after 8 SOLID years at the helm of affairs. At the moment, there are more than 17,000 abandoned/uncompleted federal govt projects, littered nationwide. How come we have this much abandoned projects, considering the fact that many of our past leaders had ENOUGH TIME to conceive, commence and complete projects. OBJ had 8 SOLID and STABLE years to perform. Abacha had about 5yrs to make an impact. IBB had 8 SOLID and fairly STABLE years to do whatever he wanted. How come the over 17,000 abandoned and uncompleted projects?
To add insult to injury some persons expect us to sing praises of OBJ for bequeting us with his own set of abandoned and uncompleted projects, after 8yrs in power? SMH!
Supposing the president that took over from OBJ didn't believe in the project or didn't give it the seriousness it deserves, then the projects may have been left to rot away after billions of dollars have been expended.
We should also give the credit for the ongoing construction of Lagos metro line to Jakande, who conceived the idea, did the feasibility studies and reached financial closure on the project and would have completed the project in the mid 80's if he were not sacked by Buhari and his gang

Take it easy on their repugnant souls . . . . .
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Jeboy(m): 12:06am On Jan 10, 2013
Some peeps have sworn with their soul that they will never acknowledge any success recorded by GEJ even if it is to National Development.My prayers to them is May they not eat out of the good thereof.

Somebody spent 8 yrs in power, you gave enough reasons why he may not complete projects. Another haven't spent 2 yrs complete and you have finalised he is slow,daft and not doing enough.God is watching yoy,you know yourselves.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by delvinmaya(m): 1:29am On Jan 10, 2013
Tusky44:

Keep deluding your sorry self. You actually think critics are sadists and are looking for opportunities to destroy FG infrastructure. I support GEJ but not by attacking his critics, not cos i believe he is a competent man, but cos i want him to spite the SW & North. Basically, i support him dubiously cos that way i can get his opponents put him under immense pressure to either man up or convoke a SNC for the inevitable dissolution of Nigeria.

Seems like you are the one deluded here. Why don't you attempt dissolving your father's house?
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by fkaz(m): 1:40am On Jan 10, 2013
Arogba: SCAMMMMM! The site of this power plant is located within 2km of Ajaokuta steel company, This project was initiated and completed by the Obj administration. The only problem with the plant was gas supply because the existing gas pipeline supplying Ajaokuta steel company was also meant to supply the power plant but after the completion of the project it was discovered that the pipeline had been vandalized since the steel company itself has never really worked.
Fact, those passing kogi to eastern state should known the truth. This project is by the roadside, it has been there b4 jonathan came in as vice president.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by EkoIle1: 2:09am On Jan 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What could be more hypocritical than the same mischief makers, who accuse GEJ of not doing much in his less than 2yrs tenure now expecting us to shower praises on OBJ for bequeting us with uncompleted projects after 8 SOLID years at the helm of affairs. At the moment, there are more than 17,000 abandoned/uncompleted federal govt projects, littered nationwide. How come we have this much abandoned projects, considering the fact that many of our past leaders had ENOUGH TIME to conceive, commence and complete projects. OBJ had 8 SOLID and STABLE years to perform. Abacha had about 5yrs to make an impact. IBB had 8 SOLID and fairly STABLE years to do whatever he wanted. How come the over 17,000 abandoned and uncompleted projects?

The same project you are still badmouthing and labeling ACN propaganda?

Look here, you are not only expected to continue and finish ongoing projects initiated and started before you, that's your damn job and you ate expected to do that minimum. The problem with your Aso Rock uncle is simply that he has no vision, no initiative or idea of his own, he's so dumb, clueless and vacuous that the only idea and initiatives he has remains illiterate cassava bread idea, buying and collecting dozens of presidential cars, 10 presidential planes with N9 billion/year maintenance bill at the door steps of the taxpayers, N1 billion food bill and commissioning phony and 419 e library.

Can't wait to see your clowns back in your swamps down south come 2015.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 7:38am On Jan 10, 2013
Arogba: SCAMMMMM! The site of this power plant is located within 2km of Ajaokuta steel company, This project was initiated and completed by the Obj administration. The only problem with the plant was gas supply because the existing gas pipeline supplying Ajaokuta steel company was also meant to supply the power plant but after the completion of the project it was discovered that the pipeline had been vandalized since the steel company itself has never really worked.

Right on point. Exactly what happened.
On two different occasions years ago i has reasons to visit the steel complex power station and right before u enter Ajaokuta, the power plant is situated
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Jeboy(m): 8:03am On Jan 10, 2013
My very good question to you guyz doing like good historians is why do u curse dis man for problems he inherited from past predecessors which he hasn't proferred solution for but u think its wrong to give him credit for the reverse?

Simple Answer: Badbelleism
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 8:05am On Jan 10, 2013
People feel it's wisdom for Obj to have built power plants without cogent provisions and plans for gas supply needed to power them ..na talk be that ?

The other guy (GEJ) comes in, and rectifies that major flaw and yet peeps feel he doesn't deserve a mention . . .

No one can rob GEJ efforts in ensuring the NIPPs fire on as expected

The nation has been bedeviled more with mega-excuses rather than the promised megawatts; why?

Thank you for this opportunity to talk about what we are doing. I didn’t realise that we have been offering so many excuses. I thought we were telling you what the situation is. I have been minister for ten months. Prior to that I was adviser to the president on power and when we came, what we saw was an absolute mess of the power sector. We met 2,800MW of power delivered to the grid; a lot of the power plants were never really in order and got epileptic maintenance that naturally produced epileptic power supply. Ideally, a power plant should be maintained on schedule and if you don’t do that, you run the risk of running down the plant. So we had a lot of power plants that did not produce up to 50 per cent of their installed capacities; that is the sort of thing we met. The national grid was also weak, which means if something happened on the grid, you ran the risk of cutting off a whole region. In addition, there was no plan for gas supply to the thermal power stations, so we had plants that were being built without gas availability or a proper plan; the distribution plan was also in disarray, such that we could have a power plant without actually getting the electricity to where it could be used. Unfortunately, those in the sector know that power production and delivery are not like building roads and some other facilities. If you are building a road, you can build 50 per cent of it and put it to use, but for power, 99.9 per cent will not be sufficient; you have to have 100 per cent completion to fire it to work. Secondly, it takes time to build a power plant, no matter what anybody tells you, you do not buy power turbines off the shelf. If we had started when we came in here to build any power plant, we would not have completed it by now, no matter the miracle.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nnaji-we-are-implementing-key-pillars-of-power-reform/117760/

^^

Prof Barth Nnaji speaking . . . . .
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 8:12am On Jan 10, 2013
Demdem: Again, i salute the OBJ admin for initiating and commencing this project
Secondly, kudos to the retardeen for sustaining it.
However, am concerned that we dont have sufficient transmission capability to adequately evacuate the very little MWs we are presently generating which is very important as it will determine if Nigerians have power supply in their homes or not.
This is where i expect the retardeen to focus more on.

2) The Geregu plant was located (BY OBJ) less than eight kilometres from the existing Pipeline that takes gas to the Ajaokuta Steel plant.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 8:22am On Jan 10, 2013
Jeboy: My very good question to you guyz doing like good historians is why do u curse dis man for problems he inherited from past predecessors which he hasn't proferred solution for but u think its wrong to give him credit for the reverse?

Simple Answer: Badbelleism

They are under an oath of secrecy to criticize anything GEJ . . .It could be so frustrating to whine,wail, and gnash their teeth with no tangible results emanating from their bile . . . .
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 10:32am On Jan 10, 2013
Demdem: Again, i salute the OBJ admin for initiating and commencing this project
Secondly, kudos to the retardeen for sustaining it.
However, am concerned that we dont have sufficient transmission capability to adequately evacuate the very little MWs we are presently generating which is very important as it will determine if Nigerians have power supply in their homes or not.
This is where i expect the retardeen to focus more on.

Thank you for recognizing that NIPP was OBJ's brain child and he is the reason we are close to having steady electricity.
during my tour of the NIPP i knew this day will come, not long ago, i visited yaba left to send relief materials to the inmates, i ran into a desperate man called Gen Buhari.
he told me that OBJ embezzled all the NIPP funds without a single block on the ground. all efforts to convince him otherwise with proofs of the ones ive seen myself proved abortive.

excerpts our discussion.

[url]https://www.nairaland.com/1134045/obasanjo-cant-stop-criticizing-jonathan/6 [/url]
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 10:39am On Jan 10, 2013
duality: I still don't understand this. I know Geregu to have an installed capacity of 414 mw.(gt1, gt 2 and gt3) although geregu operates as an island, it has its own challenges hence, it has never worked at installed capacity nor was it connected to the grid. however a phase 2 of the project was proposed.

now has the problems of phase 1 been fixed?

is geregu now connected to the national grid?

how did they come about 434mw.

gregu was planned to have a total installed capacity of 4 gas turbines firing a total of 434mw, however only the first phase has been completed which is the turbine one and gas supply infrastructures, that alone delivers 134mw, subsequently as other turbines come on stream, 434mw can be achieved.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 10:45am On Jan 10, 2013
jp philips:

Thank you for recognizing that NIPP was OBJ's brain child and he is the reason we are close to having steady electricity.
during my tour of the NIPP i knew this day will come, not long ago, i visited yaba left to send relief materials to the inmates, i ran into a desperate man called Gen Buhari.
he told me that OBJ embezzled all the NIPP funds without a single block on the ground. all efforts to convince him otherwise with proofs of the ones ive seen myself proved abortive.

excerpts our discussion.

[url]https://www.nairaland.com/1134045/obasanjo-cant-stop-criticizing-jonathan/6 [/url]

grin grin Genbuhari is a nutcase no doubt.
Only the very foolish will say otherwise as regards NIPP. Infact its interesting to note that this Geregu plant in question has since been commisioned by OBJ as far back as 2007. Availability of gas has always been one of the main challenge.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 10:47am On Jan 10, 2013
jmaine:

Bros, read the article again slowly and gain indepth understanding . . . .he was simply referring to the current on stream NIPP's generating capacities and not the entire power generating stations

Egbin thermal plant which generates the highest can't be categorized as an NIPP project neither can the Kainji dam power generating plant be designated as same.. . .

Buntu baba . .by your understanding, we are generating 1,687MW since the NIPP projects peaked on that value cheesy . . .

I totally agree with you that Egbin project was not an NIPP project, however, the NIPP has a contract for an infrastructural upgrade for Egbin. the upgrade guaranteed that Egbin fires at 1,320mw for the six 220mw installed turbines.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 10:51am On Jan 10, 2013
jp philips, kindly permit me to bring forward ur past post as regards this topic. Its relevant here. thanks.

jp philips: [color=#000099]@ GEN BUHARI

i don't like people who read articles written by thieves to bamboozle the public on Non performing governments.

I asked you to list power plants that has been completed by Jonathan's administration and you wrote a press release.

in case you failed WAEC, i am a very precise person, if i ask questions, give answers, to give you a head's up, here are a list of Nigeria's thermal and hydro plants that benefited from the NIPP either through upgrade or construction from scratch and tell me whose brain child it is.

that reminds me, Elumelu investigated the NIPP and told gullible Nigerians like you that the money was embezzled without anything on ground abi?? later the contractors accused him of collecting bribe from them, he was later indicted and disgraced. such are the press release Gen buhari is showing me.

Gen Buhari, tell me where these power plants came from and year of commissioning

AES barge located at Egbin generates 270mw completed in 2001, project lasted 3yrs...whose brain child was it? your father?

AFAM iv to v, of course afam 1 to 4 was commissioned in 1976 but no longer operational, another 4 to 5 was constructed at a capacity of 350mw, in 2002 a new afam of 726mw appeared in 2002. whose brain child was it?? your father??

ALAOJI power station in AbA, still under construction,expected to be upstream 2014, project start date 2006, whose brain child?? your father

CALABAR Power station

generates 6.6mw commisssioned in 2006, it includes 3 turbines, whose brain child?? your father

EGBEMA power plant

expected to deliver 336mw by end of 2013, project start date, august 2005, whose brain child?? your father??

EGBIN Power plant

Egbin Thermal Power Station Egbin Gas-fired steam turbine 1320 MW Operational 1985-1986 Has six 220-MW independent units.Egbin - Thermal Power Station in Egbin, final upgrade feb. 2007,

whose brain child?

IBOM power plant in Ikot abasi, commissioned in 2009, project start date, august 2005. whose brain child?? FGN/Akwaibom state govt.

ihovbor power station benin city

under construction, expected to deliver 450mw of electricity by 2013, project start date; 2006. whose brain child?? your father??

okpai power station: produces 480mw of electricity, commissioned in 2005, whose brain child??

olorunsogo power plant: produces 336mw of electricity, commissioned in 2007, whose brain child

Olorunsogo 2 power plant, expected to deliver a whooping 750mw, will be fully operational in dec. 2012 project start date;
may, 2006 whose brain child

Omoku power plant, delivers 150mw built and commissioned in 2005 by rockson engineering, whose brain child??

Sapele power station:

began operation in 1978 first upgrade commissioned in 1981, generating 225mw, final upgrade, started in 2007, expected to deliver a whooping 450mw by 2012, whose brain child was the upgrade your father

GEREGU power plant: delivers 414mw commissioned in 2007, whose brain child?? your father??

Omotosho power plant: fires 335MW of electricity, commissioned November 2006

oloronshogo: operated by Nigeria and Chinese government fires another 335MW in ogun state, completed 2009, project start date may 2005, whose brain child your father??

ughelli power plant:

commissioned in 1966, produces 60mw, upgraded to 360mw in 2012,upgrade start date 2008, whose brain child? YARADUA

KANO power station:

expected to deliver 100mw by 2015, project start date, FEB 2012 whose brain child?? JONATHAN

Zamfara, kiri, 100mw and 50mw respectively, due date; 2012 and 2016 brain child: JONATHAN.

Now with this facts on the ground, most of them i have visited myself, no si!!y press can tell me that obasanjo embezzled the NIPP projects.

if you think otherwise, kindly tell us where all these plants came from.

@ Gen Buhari

i ask you again, tell me one single power plant started by Jonathan from scratch and commissioned, just one, he was close to commissioning the Zamfara 100mw but since NNaji left, nothing is going on there.

please don't give me si!!y press release of these projects, i have the addresses of the ones i have visited during a tour of NIPP projects.

i will paste it later so you can go touch it your self. now, answer my questions.

obasanjo as a corrupt person may have inflated the said contracts and did some shaddy deals no doubt but OBJ is the reason Nigeria is close to having steady electricity.

1 Like

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 11:09am On Jan 10, 2013
tunalism: GEJ has really done an onerous nd breathtaking jobs when it comes to the power sector transformation agenda. I said this becos I have seen improvements in my area since the past one mnth. So, let's give it up to the man. More power to
your elbowGEJ has really done an onerous nd breathtaking jobs when it comes to the power sector transformation agenda. I said this becos I have seen improvements in my area since the past one mnth. So, let's give it up to the man. More power to
your elbow
GEJ has really done an onerous nd breathtaking jobs when it comes to the power sector transformation agenda. I said this becos I have seen improvements in my area since the past one mnth. So, let's give it up to the man. More power to
your elbow

Get yourselves a pair of glasses before you go blind, the fact that electricity improved in your hood may not be GEJ's doing, it might be an Alaye who removed a fuse from your transformer or the transformer being bad.

OBJ just like chukwuma soludo, sat thought and came up with the banger NIPP, strategically located to reflect source of raw material and capacity oriented to reflect population of a particular area.

OBJ funded it in part before he left, the same GEJ you want to give credit to cannot even get credible people to run its administration, from an erudite Nnaji to a vacant padi padi office, is that what you term an achievement?

Ok, since OBJ has come out with the grand plan of improving electricity generation, is it a crime for jona to come up with a grand plan for distribution as well?, so that people like me can as well give him his due credits.

to even sell (aka privatize) the ones built for him is a problem, from Manitoba winning bid to manitoba not winning to Nest oil a servicing company who has constructed pipelines all their lives winning discos, if you cant see jonathan's confusion in the power sector then im afraid you need more than glasses.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 11:49am On Jan 10, 2013
jmaine:

What was Yar Adua probing in the power sector and what was his main reason for stalling an on going project of this magnitude for years before his demise . . . .

Ans needed from folks like you . . . .

yaradua saw a massive corruption in the scheme but not unreluctant to fund it, he just wanted a clearer picture and know where he will tie his interests as new head of state since OBJ has left.

at the time, the elumelu panel was constituted and elumelu went to the site, saw work in progress (though not without challenges)but demanded for bribe from the contractors, when they refused, he released a report claiming that nothing was on ground. Yaradua then halted the scheme temporarily.

the Contractors fought back by releasing their different challenges which another committee was set up to address them, towards the demise of yaradua, the projects kicked off again.

Take for example, when elumelu got to one of those sites, the base structures have all been done but the turbine couldn't be installed cos the reinforcement on a cross bridge could not support the weight of both the turbine and flat beds,as calculated by the structural engineers hired by the contractor.

faced with that, the contractor applied for a contract variation to accommodate the structural reinforcement of the bridge so the turbine can pass of course, that wasn't part of their initial contract.

the contractor pleaded with him to personally take him with his entourage across the river to see the turbine which he declined on safety grounds.

he went ahead in the report to claim that the contractor has squandered the money given to him to purchase the turbine, meanwhile the turbine was already in Nigeria.

the customs didn't help matters at the time, there was a time a lot of refinery accessories and NIPP equipments imported in the country were confiscated and Auctioned by the customs, the reason behind that and whether the FG was aware remains unclear till date.

funding; some of the contractors were owed for a long period and most of their project assets were confiscated by banks in a bid to recover their money.

i believe that a cumulative of all those challenges has poised yaradua to stall the projects at the time.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 1:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
Demdem:

OBJ wasted time before he commenced work on NIPP. he unfortunately had other priorities. The NIPP didnt commence until 2003 and not 1999 when he became President. so its wrong for peeps to give an impression that OBJ sat on NIPP for 8yrs. thats simply not true.
Kindly read the below.

http://www.fig.net/pub/fig2010/papers/fs04g/fs04g_ehiorobo_4258.pdf

point of correction, there has been power spending from 1999 however, the NIPP was inaugurated in 2003. most of the projects that were funded before the NIPP are equally referred to as NIPP projects an example is

the AES barge project in egbin which was completed in 2001,firing about 270mw, funding was released around 99 or so, but today we include AES as part of the NIPP, this is so because the NIPP master plan not only covered generation plants but also distribution and upgrade for existing ones.

Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Olaolufred(m): 1:30pm On Jan 10, 2013
jmaine: People feel it's wisdom for Obj to have built power plants without cogent provisions and plans for gas supply needed to power them ..na talk be that ?

The other guy (GEJ) comes in, and rectifies that major flaw and yet peeps feel he doesn't deserve a mention . . .

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nnaji-we-are-implementing-key-pillars-of-power-reform/117760/

^^

While it is good to note that GEJ is on track based on the developments in power sector,
It does not also erase the fact that OBJ Initiated it, and worked more on the construction and installation of those power stations.
Now that Goodluck through Barth Nnaji discovered some planning errors, The common sense is to rectify it.
That is the essence of a visional govt.

I will commend them for the progress so far(though they could do better)
But I will not thank them for doing what they are paid to do.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jpphilips(m): 2:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
jmaine: People feel it's wisdom for Obj to have built power plants without cogent provisions and plans for gas supply needed to power them ..na talk be that ?

^^

i don't know if you are from Zimbabwe, Geregu power plant that i know was commissioned in 2007, it fired for a while and stopped due to gas challenges, in 2007 was the year obasanjo left office, he didn't even have the time to fix the problem,
then came yaradua who elumelu deceived that the scheme was a scam because he was looking for kick backs, yaradua eventually stalled the scheme.

prof bart Nnaji did a quick review and saw the strategic relevance of the project and advised Jonathan to revisit which he obliged,

today, the gas issue has been solved and turbine one has come on stream remaining turbine 2 to 4 (meaning that jonathan did not add anything to what obasanjo left in 2007)

let us be guided accordingly, the project has been commissioned since 2007, if i am to praise the actors,
should i praise the man who thought about it, funded, constructed and commissioned it

OR

the man who addressed a challenge in his work, who should take the credit, gentlemen, Jonathan is doing a great dis service to this nation, believe me, if NNaji had continued, He could have come up with a grand plan that will glorify the Jonathan's administration in the power sector.
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 2:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
Double Post
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 2:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
jp philips:

yaradua saw a massive corruption in the scheme but not unreluctant to fund it, he just wanted a clearer picture and know where he will tie his interests as new head of state since OBJ has left.

at the time, the elumelu panel was constituted and elumelu went to the site, saw work in progress (though not without challenges)but demanded for bribe from the contractors, when they refused, he released a report claiming that nothing was on ground. Yaradua then halted the scheme temporarily.

the Contractors fought back by releasing their different challenges which another committee was set up to address them, towards the demise of yaradua, the projects kicked off again.

Take for example, when elumelu got to one of those sites, the base structures have all been done but the turbine couldn't be installed cos the reinforcement on a cross bridge could not support the weight of both the turbine and flat beds,as calculated by the structural engineers hired by the contractor.

faced with that, the contractor applied for a contract variation to accommodate the structural reinforcement of the bridge so the turbine can pass of course, that wasn't part of their initial contract.

the contractor pleaded with him to personally take him with his entourage across the river to see the turbine which he declined on safety grounds.

he went ahead in the report to claim that the contractor has squandered the money given to him to purchase the turbine, meanwhile the turbine was already in Nigeria.

the customs didn't help matters at the time, there was a time a lot of refinery accessories and NIPP equipments imported in the country were confiscated and Auctioned by the customs, the reason behind that and whether the FG was aware remains unclear till date.

funding; some of the contractors were owed for a long period and most of their project assets were confiscated by banks in a bid to recover their money.

i believe that a cumulative of all those challenges has poised yaradua to stall the projects at the time.

All said and done . . . .It's still irrefutable that Yar Adua stalled this project for 2.5 years, which not surprising coincides with his tenure as the President . . 2.5 years of delay is a huge dent to a massive project of this magnitude . . . .

The GEJ you seek to vilify ,immediately after coming on board decided to vigorously pursue the implementation of Electricity Power Sector Reform Act of 2005, then considered and awarded contracts for the outstanding jobs while renewing the tenure of consultants.

They also decided that only major turbine manufacturers would be allowed to bid for the power projects ( Though a setback was recorded here).

GEJ implemented a cost reflective tariff in place to encourage the gas producers to supply more gas and reduce the friction of costing they had with PHCN due to their accumulating debt profile, also ensuring the power plants with deficit of a gas supply provision were revisited to clear that important huddle

OBJ did his part by laying a good frame work which is undeniable . .but again, you must commend this admin for vigorously ensuring that OBJ commendable power reforms plan was continued with relevant policies (e.g the tariff pricing to encourage gas supply) put in place to ensure all set backs are limited . . . .
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 2:20pm On Jan 10, 2013
jp philips:

i don't know if you are from Zimbabwe, Geregu power plant that i know was commissioned in 2007, it fired for a while and stopped due to gas challenges, in 2007 was the year obasanjo left office, he didn't even have the time to fix the problem,
then came yaradua who elumelu deceived that the scheme was a scam because he was looking for kick backs, yaradua eventually stalled the scheme.

prof bart Nnaji did a quick review and saw the strategic relevance of the project and advised Jonathan to revisit which he obliged,

today, the gas issue has been solved and turbine one has come on stream remaining turbine 2 to 4 (meaning that jonathan did not add anything to what obasanjo left in 2007)

let us be guided accordingly, the project has been commissioned since 2007, if i am to praise the actors,
should i praise the man who thought about it, funded, constructed and commissioned it

OR

the man who addressed a challenge in his work, who should take the credit, gentlemen, Jonathan is doing a great dis service to this nation, believe me, if NNaji had continued, He could have come up with a grand plan that will glorify the Jonathan's administration in the power sector.

Whatever you chose to say does not in any way invalidates GEJ efforts in revamping the power sector . . .Barth or No Barth . . .the reforms are going on . . . So what's the stress . . . .

P:S ===> There is no point throwing stealth jabs . .let's keep this civil . . .
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by jmaine: 2:29pm On Jan 10, 2013
Olaolufred:

While it is good to note that GEJ is on track based on the developments in power sector,
It does not also erase the fact that OBJ Initiated it, and worked more on the construction and installation of those power stations.
Now that Goodluck through Barth Nnaji discovered some planning errors, The common sense is to rectify it.
That is the essence of a visional govt.

I will commend them for the progress so far(though they could do better)
But I will not thank them for doing what they are paid to do.

No one is denying OBJ initiated them, no one is denying OBJ his due accolades for conceiving them even though suspicion arose on inflated contracts . . .

but what we seek to address here are peeps telling us this admin had no inputs whatsoever in the current schemes of things . . . . .it's as simple as that . . .
Re: 434MW Geregu Power Plant To Begin Power Generation This Week by Demdem(m): 2:31pm On Jan 10, 2013
jp philips:

[color=#990000]point of correction, there has been power spending from 1999 however, the NIPP was inaugurated in 2003. most of the projects that were funded before the NIPP are equally referred to as NIPP projects an example is

the AES barge project in egbin which was completed in 2001,firing about 270mw, funding was released around 99 or so, but today we include AES as part of the NIPP, this is so because the NIPP master plan not only covered generation plants but also distribution and upgrade for existing ones.
[/color]

Yea thanks for the correction. I agree with that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Too Ignorant Of President Buhari's Achievements - Garba Shehu / Certificate Scandals Threaten 2019 Dreams / Buhari Campaign Organisation Reports Atiku To EU, AU Over ‘undemocratic Tendenci

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.