Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C (55828 Views)

Overconfidence Will Kill Nigeria - Burkina Faso Fans / Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso - AFCON 2013 Final (1 - 0) - On 10th February 2013 / Burkina Faso Vs Ghana - AFCON 2013 - (3 - 2) On Pens On 6th Feb 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by mukina2: 12:22am On Jan 11, 2013
WELCOME TO GROUP C OF THE SOUTH AFRICA 2013 AFCON!

Group C Consists Of

Fixtures

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by mukina2: 12:23am On Jan 11, 2013
Zambia

AFCON HISTORY
Best Performance Winners - 2012
Champions 2012
Runners-Up 1994
Third Place 1990
Fourth Place None

HOW THEY QUALIFIED
Zambia qualified in dramatic circumstances. They faced Uganda in the second round of qualification and took a 1-0 lead into the second leg of the tie. Uganda brought the tie back to level terms, determined to keep the 2012 champions fighting to the bitter end. However, Zambia rallied, showing the team spirit which had won the tournament in Equatorial Guinea. Zambia eventually gained entrance to the 2013 African Cup of Nations after winning a breath-taking penalty shootout 9-8 in Kampala.

THE COACH - Herve Renard
Herve Renard has been Zambia's head coach for two separate spells, between 2008-2010 and from October 2011 until now. The former Stade de Vallauris defender enjoyed a long career playing in France and brought his immense experience as a footballer into management. Renard is a hard taskmaster who puts the team ahead of the individual, always expecting one hundred per cent from every one of his players.

Renard has taken Zambia to three Afcon tournaments and his ability to create success out of team work, team spirit and a never-say-die attitude has made him a popular figure in Zambian football circles. He credits his mentor, current DR Congo coach Claude Le Roy for his knowledge about the African game.

THE CAPTAIN - Christopher Katongo

THE STAR PLAYER - Emmanuel Mayuka

Goalkeepers: Daniel Munyau (Red Arrows), Kennedy Mweene (Free State Stars/RSA), Joshua Titima (Power Dynamos)

Defenders: Hichani Himoonde, Francis Kasonde and Stoppila Sunzu (TP Mazembe/COD), Emmanuel Mbola (Porto/POR), Joseph Musonda (Golden Arrows/RSA), Davies Nkausu (SuperSport Utd/RSA)

Midfielders: Isaac Chansa and Christopher Katongo (Henan Jianje/CHN), Rainford Kalaba and Nathan Sinkala (Mazembe/COD), Noah Chivuta (Free State Stars/RSA), Felix Katongo (Petro Atletico/ANG), Chisamba Lungu (Ural Oblast/RUS), Mukuka Mulenga (Power Dynamos), William Njobvu (Hapoel Beer Sheba/ISR)

Strikers: James Chamanga (Liaojing Whowin/CHN), Emmanuel Mayuka (Southampton/ENG), Collins Mbesuma (Orlando Pirates/RSA), Jacob Mulenga (Utrecht/NED), Jonas Sakuwaha (Al Merreikh/SUD)

2 Likes

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by mukina2: 12:29am On Jan 11, 2013
Nigeria

AFCON HISTORY
Best Performance Winners - 1980 & 1994
Champions 1980 & 1994
Runners-Up 1984, 1988, 1990 & 2000
Third Place 1976, 1978, 1992, 2002, 2004, 2006 & 2010
Fourth Place None

HOW THEY QUALIFIED
Nigeria qualified for this tournament by defeating Liberia 8-3 on aggregate in October. The Super Eagles missed out on qualifying for the 2012 tournament in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea for the first time in 26 years. They returned to the continental competition with an emphatic victory over the Lone Stars after a shaky two-legged encounter against Rwanda. Former captain and present coach Stephen Keshi is hoping to rebuild a side that would emulate his 1994 championship-winning team.

THE COACH - Stephen Keshi
Stephen Keshi took over the reins as coach of the Super Eagles in November 2011 after the team failed to qualify for the 2012 Afcon, the first time in 26 years. He took over the job at a time when the side was low in confidence and started by getting players from the local league to play a greater part in the national team.

A year on, Keshi has been able to merge the technical skills of the Europe-based players with the enthusiasm of the local players. They have combined well to form a new Super Eagles that the country is beginning to place its hopes in again. Leading his third team to the Afcon - following stints with Togo and Mali - Keshi will be hoping to finally win his first Afcon game. His experience garnered as a player where he led the Eagles to victory in 1994 will be needed to inspire this Nigerian side to great things in South Africa.

THE CAPTAIN - Joseph Yobo
Defender Joseph Yobo took over the skipper's armband from Nwankwo Kanu after the shambolic 2010 World Cup where Nigeria bowed out in the group stage. Yobo has brought a calmness to the backline, even though he has been dogged by persistent injuries in recent times.

The Fenerbahce defender, who became the most capped player in his country's history, has already won three bronze medals at the Afcon. In South Africa, Yobo will be hoping to finally win the coveted trophy in order to justify the length of time spent in the country's service.

THE STAR PLAYER - John Obi Mikel

Goalkeepers : Vincent Enyeama (Maccabi Tel Aviv, Israel); Austin Ejide (Hapoel Be’er Sheba, Israel); Chigozie Agbim (Enugu Rangers)

Defenders : Elderson Echiejile (FC Braga, Portugal); Juwon Oshaniwa (Ashdod FC, Israel); Joseph Yobo (Fenerbahce, Turkey); Efe Ambrose (Celtic, Scotland); Azubuike Egwuekwe (Warri Wolves); Kenneth Omeruo (ADO Den Haag, Netherlands); Godfrey Oboabona (Sunshine Stars)

Midfielders : John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England); Nosa Igiebor (Real Betis, Spain); Ogenyi Onazi (Lazio, Italy); Obiora Nwankwo (Calcio Padova, Italy); Fegor Ogude (Valerenga FC, Norway); Reuben Gabriel (Kano Pillars)

Strikers : Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Emmanuel Emenike (Spartak Moscow, Russia); Brown Ideye (Dynamo Kyiv, Ukraine); Victor Moses (Chelsea, England); Ikechukwu Uche (Villarreal FC, Spain); Ejike Uzoenyi (Enugu Rangers); Sunday Mba (Enugu Rangers)
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by mukina2: 12:47am On Jan 11, 2013
Burkina Faso

AFCON HISTORY
Best Performance Fourth Place - 1998
Champions None
Runners-Up None
Third Place None
Fourth Place 1998

HOW THEY QUALIFIED
Burkina Faso narrowly edged Central African Republic (C.A.R) on a 3-2 aggregate to book their place at the 2013 Afcon after a nervous return leg in Ouagadougou, where the Stallions toiled until the final minute before scoring the winner. The Burkinabe were exempted from the first round following their participation at the 2012 Afcon. They lost the first leg of the second round by a lone goal in Bangui and came from behind to win the return fixture 3-1 after conceding an early 7th minute goal through David Manga of Serbian club FK Partizan.

THE COACH - Paul Put
Paul Put took over from Portuguese manager Paulo Duarte in March following the Stallions’ woeful return from the 2012 Nations Cup, where they lost all three of their games and crashed out in the group stage. The former Gambia coach, who was fired for failing to qualify the Scorpions to the same competition, caught the attention of the Burkinabe football federation, which backed its decision to recruit the 56-year-old with his ability to detect and groom young talent.

The Belgian, who has coached top teams such as Lokeren and Lierse in the Jupiler Pro League, will have in hand a bunch of young and brilliant players he will be required to turn into stars or at least reorganise Burkina Faso football and subsequently lay the foundations for a sound Burkinade sporting future.

THE CAPTAIN - Moumouni Dagano

THE STAR PLAYER - Alain Traore

Goalkeepers: Daouda Diakite (Lierse/BEL), Germain Sanou (St Etienne/FRA), Abdoulaye Soulama (Asante Kotoko/GHA)

Defenders: Mohamed Koffi (Petrojet/EGY), Bakary Kone (Lyon/FRA), Paul Koulibaly (Dynamo Bucharest/ROM), Mady Panandetiguiri (Antwerp/BEL), Henri Traore (Ashanti Gold/GHA)

Midfielders: Charles Kabore (Marseille/FRA), Djakaridja Kone (Evian/FRA), Prejuce Nacoulma (Gornik Zabrze/POL), Issouf Ouattara (Chernomorets Burgas/BUL), Jonathan Pitroipa (Rennes/FRA), Aly Rabo (Al Shorta/EGY), Florent Rouamba (Sheriff Tiraspol/MDA), Wilfried Sanou (Kyoto Sanga/JPN), Abdou Razack Traore (Lechia Gdansk/POL), Alain Traore (Lorient/FRA)

Strikers: Wilfried Dah and Pierre Koulibaly (Al Dhaid Sharjah/UAE), Wilfried Balima (Sheriff Tiraspol/MDA), Aristide Bance (Augsburg/GER), Moumouni Dagano (Al Siliya/QAT)
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by mukina2: 12:53am On Jan 11, 2013
Ethiopia

AFCON HISTORY
Best Performance Winners - 1962
Champions 1962
Runners-Up 1957
Third Place None
Fourth Place 1968

HOW THEY QUALIFIED
Ethiopia progressed to the final qualifying round after overcoming Benin with away goals providing the path after two matches. The side eventually reached the Afcon finals thanks to a 2-0 victory after strikes from Adane Girma and Saladine Said, and once again the away goals rule ensured that they would return to the competition after a 31-year absence at the expense of the Nile Crocodiles of Sudan, who had won the first leg match played in Khartoum 5-3.

THE COACH - Sewnet Bishaw
Respected coach Sewnet Bishaw is fancied by many in the east African region to lead his charges to a respectable showing at the 2013 Afcon. The veteran tactician has enjoyed successful stints with clubs in the Ethiopian League and at Yemen top flight side Ahly Senaa, before assuming the role of Ethiopian head coach.

Some of the notable results he has managed at the helm of the squad include the aggregate win over Sudan to qualify for the 2013 Afcon, and the draw away to South Africa in a World Cup qualifier.

THE CAPTAIN - Degu Debebe

THE STAR PLAYER - Adane Girma

Goalkeepers: Sisay Bancha (Dedebit), Zerihun Tadele (St George), Jemal Tassew (Coffee)

Defenders: Abebaw Butako, Degu Debebe, Biadgelegn Elias and Alula Girma (St George), Berhanu Bogale, Aynalem Hailu and Seyoum Tesfaye (Dedebit)

Midfielders: Behailu Assefa, Addis Hintsa and Minyahil Teshome (Dedebit), Shimeles Bekele and Yared Zinabu (St George), Dawit Estifanos (Coffee), Asrat Megersa (EEPCO), Yusuf Saleh (Syrianska/SWE)

Strikers: Adane Girma and Oumed Ukuri (St George), Fuad Ibrahim (Minnesota Stars/USA), Getaneh Kebede (Dedebit), Saladin Said (Wadi Degla/EGY)
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by CrazyMan(m): 11:35am On Jan 12, 2013
The group looks cheap...Nigeria should be able to scale through the group stages with ease.

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by HoneyPrincess(f): 11:52am On Jan 12, 2013
Okay good, yes we know Nigeria will come home soon as usual, another disgrace awaits, I rather watch sponge bob square pants who lives under the sea

2 Likes

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by siddiq202(m): 11:56am On Jan 12, 2013
CrazyMan: The group looks cheap...Nigeria should be able to scale through the group stages with ease.
Are they still cheap teams in Africa?

Cape Verde stopped Cameroon from qualifying for the competition

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by Bishop4bella(m): 11:56am On Jan 12, 2013
I pray we make it out of diz group wit d way diz guy are playing and i see diz is d only game dat brings Nigerians together lyk then when NTA is stil relivent. 4th to comment, dancin alingo
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by acidtalk: 11:57am On Jan 12, 2013
*Nigeria Will Have a Terrible outing in the forthcoming AFCON. The country will barely move out of group stages.

View full predictions below :

https://www.nairaland.com/1150162/predictions-first-quarter-2013

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by ismhab(m): 12:00pm On Jan 12, 2013
Zambia - Nigeria(5-0)
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by executinal(m): 12:01pm On Jan 12, 2013
Wishing my naija boys best of luck come 21 January 2013

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by ignis: 12:01pm On Jan 12, 2013
Thank God
All this countries are walk over for us.
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by CrazyMan(m): 12:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
siddiq202: Are they still cheap teams in Africa?

Cape Verde stopped Cameroon from qualifying for the competition
True, they aren't any cheap team in Africa. But considering our current form, I believe we would top the group.

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by fingard02k(m): 12:13pm On Jan 12, 2013
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF HEALTH warns that SUPER EAGLES FOLLOWERS are liable to have HEART-BREAK

Make una count me out...I never wan die young..Too young to have heart attack

6 Likes

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by osifred(m): 12:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
Who made mikel obi our star player?

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by yuzedo: 12:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
I pray Nigeria BEATS Ethiopia 60 - 0 for what one of their girls & their hotel staff did to me when I was there last month!! angry angry angry
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by baynix(m): 12:34pm On Jan 12, 2013
Mikel?? Our Star?? *faints*
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by siddiq202(m): 12:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
CrazyMan:
True, they aren't any cheap team in Africa. But considering our current form, I believe we would top the group.

please don't make me laugh...which current form?
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by Coefficient(m): 12:36pm On Jan 12, 2013
Honey Princess: Okay good, yes we know Nigeria will come home soon as usual, another disgrace awaits, I rather watch sponge bob square pants who lives under the sea

We go follow watch spongebob together my sister. I just buy new episodes of powerpuff girls sef.
Who get time to waste

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by FKO1(m): 12:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
when will nigerians learn to be patriotic,we should see this afcon as a fresh start for the eagles.
Even though they dont come back home with the trophy me must learn to support our national side.

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by siddiq202(m): 12:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
osifred: Who made mikel obi our top player?
baynix: Mikel?? Our Star?? *faints*

You guys should be realistic, who among the players on that list is super eagles star?

Note: I'm not a fan of Mikel, in short I hate anything Chelsea except that talented new signing -Ba wink
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by crazykid: 12:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
Tof group

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by Johnnoah1st: 12:47pm On Jan 12, 2013
acidtalk:
*Nigeria Will Have a Terrible outing in the forthcoming AFCON. The country will barely move out of group stages.

View full predictions below :

https://www.nairaland.com/1150162/predictions-first-quarter-2013
dat page have been bookmarked, but nigeria we get out of group stage and we surely facing north africa team, tunisia to be specific, and am seeing dem beating us by 2-1 but if we can get past quater final, we are surely going to final, and am seeing nigeria we pull a suprise in dis tornament, if u notice wen we are facing catalonia people have started predicting 10-0 loss 4 dem yet dey play a 1-1 draw, and in cape verde match people have started predicting nigeria we beat dem 5-0 yet we play a draw, but dis present tournament nigeria we suprise every body,
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by WizPrince1(m): 12:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
If Nigeria Did Not qualify in this Group, Nigeria Should Not Play Football at any level again.

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Lets hope for the best meanwhile I pitch my tent with Egypt.
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by dilbert100: 1:01pm On Jan 12, 2013
nice post
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by ifyalways(f): 1:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
Muki muki do you need to be "reminded" to add pinshures of the coaches?

Oh lordy me but that Zambia coach na eye candy. Just add his picture please tongue

Moderator wey nor know him work na "Pako" show us some fine, well toned flesh jor cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by thaoriginator: 1:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ok. Good luck to STFC (Super Tasty Fried Chickens)cheesygrincheesygrintongue
Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by thaoriginator: 1:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
ifyalways: Muki muki do you need to be "reminded" to add pinshures of the coaches?

Oh lordy me but that Zambia coach na eye candy. Just add his picture please tongue

Moderator wey nor know him work na "Pako" show us some fine, well toned flesh jor cheesy
make I send you my picture na kisskisskiss suegbetongue

1 Like

Re: Zambia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia - AFCON 2013 Group C by nijanigga: 1:16pm On Jan 12, 2013
CrazyMan: The group looks cheap...Nigeria should be able to scale through the group stages with ease.
craze dey really worry you.Nigeria will not qualify for the knock out stage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Jay-Jay Okocha Returns To Bolton Wanderers As Coach / Asisat Oshoala Pictured In Short Skirt After Fast Season / Wilfred Ndidi Set To Marry Dinma (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.