Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,695 members, 7,805,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Tennis Australian Open 2013. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis Australian Open 2013. (12190 Views)

Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 / Tennis: Australian Open 2012 / Tennis: Australian Open 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tennis Australian Open 2013. by mystikal(m): 3:07am On Jan 12, 2013
Good times are here again. The first grand slam of the year.

The Most Open Men’s Field in Years…? Nadal is out, because his knees are more shredded than…… erm, SHREDDED PAPER! Fed keeps showing just enough signs to keep us believing that he isn’t done yet (he probably is). That leaves everyone’s favorite Novak ‘Abs’ Djokavic and Andy Murray. Murray could really prove that his US win last year wasn’t a fluke if he can handle this softer field. But with such crazy temperatures, his greatest foe might just turn out to be crippling dehydration. Hometown favorite Bernard Tomic might even be able to make a run.

Novak Djokavic - It’s his tournament to lose. He’s won the last two Opens in Melbourne (his 5-setter against Nadal last year in the Final was a hell of a way to kick off the season). He’s healthy, thanks at least in part to one of the most puritanical diets any athlete has ever subjected themselves to. Pretty safe money, especially with Nadal out. A couple years ago, I never thought he had what it took to catch Nadal and Fed. But both have started showing their age and Novak is on fire now.

Andy Murray – After an excellent summer including winning the US Open and the Olympics, Murray has finally shown that he can win ‘the big one’. He’s riding a wave of emotion and will have a lot of support from the crowd.

Roger Federer – A lot of people like to keep saying that he’s done, but he was the last person not waving a Serbian flag to hoist the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup. His win at Wimbledon last year was a big one and showed that he still has some magic left in that deep, deep bag of his. It’s going to be difficult for him to win, but never count him out.

The Field – The Aussie has a very funny way of making surprise finalists. Since 2005, that includes Marcos Baghdatis, Fernando Gonzalez, Marat Safin, and Jo-Wilifried Tsonga. But since 2009 only Murray, Nadal, Djokavic and Federer have been on the stages. Del Potro, Ferrer and company haven’t been able to compete regularly at the top tier in previous tournaments and it’s hard to see that changing. Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov has been making some noise on the tour and climbing steadily over the past few years. At 21, he’s young and dangerous.

The Women

Victoria Azarenka - #1 in the world and last year’s winner, she also reached the Wimbledon final in 2012 and a bronze at the Olympics. She’s 23 and looks like one of the brightest young stars on the tour. She’s gonna be terrorizing the field for years to come.

Serena Williams - Serena absolutely kills it in this tournament. She’s won it 5 times since 2003 and won back-to-back in ’09 and ’10. Oh, and she might really be out for blood if this little speculation about her ex is actually true. I’m absolutely praying for this match to happen.

Maria Sharapova _ She’s #2 in the world and won here back in 2008. But she’s not 100% – she pulled out of the Brisbane International (a warm up tourney a lot of players play) still nursing a bruised collarbone. It can seriously compromise her ability to hit serves and overheads. Longer matches are going to seriously tax her ability to keep connecting on her powerful delivery.

The Field - The women’s tour is far more wide open than the men’s and it’s really just a guess who is going to push on to the trophy ceremony. But I am really liking Radwanska right now and think she can be a real surprise.

There’s a lot to like about this year’s 2013 Aussie. So make extra space on your calendar for the first month of the year. 2013 is only going to get better and you know it.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by jerryile(m): 6:24am On Jan 12, 2013
Djokovic all d way

1 Like

Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Santino1(m): 10:29am On Jan 12, 2013
I don't see anything "open" in the draws as the "big three" will still find their way to the semis with any of JM Delpo, Ferrer, Berdych and upcoming Jerzy "Jazzman" Jarnowicz serving as the surprise package.

I think Djoker holds all the aces. grin grin grin grin
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by fredoooooo: 11:10am On Jan 12, 2013
Finally tennis is back ....
Team serena and baba twins as my nadal no dey . Men favourite is djokovic but i'm anti djokovic and sharapoopoo ...... leggoooo grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by olubode01(m): 11:33am On Jan 12, 2013
If Rodger is fit,i tink he still has d magical wand to turn tins arnd. Well,surprises cant be sprunk. It is a competition btw d top 3 contenders. Bt,D.ferrer might also not be a pushover
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by dilbert100: 11:37am On Jan 12, 2013
looking forward to this
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Reyspin(m): 11:39am On Jan 12, 2013
If Nadal no dey den no real competition!!!
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Parnassuss(m): 11:51am On Jan 12, 2013
Nadal is 25, what kind of age can he be showing? He and Djokovic have only a year between them
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by sushieater: 11:54am On Jan 12, 2013
ROGER FEDERER all the way!! 18th GRAND SLAM on the way, CAN YOU BEAT THAT?!!!..God bless his hustle
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by outrage: 12:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
#team roger!

Backup

#team novak!! Let's go boys!!

1 Like

Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by outrage: 12:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
When is it starting by the way?
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Santino1(m): 12:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
^^ 11am Aussie time on Monday which is ca 2am Nigerian time
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by fonssy(f): 12:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
Federer and Murray are my best for the men and serena and sharapova are my best for women. I wish Murray wins for men and serena wins for women.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 12, 2013
I sincerely hope Roger Federer will win but I know it will be difficult. The reality is that the likely winner will be either Novak Djokovic or Andy Murray.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by hotncold1(m): 12:18pm On Jan 12, 2013
#TeamRoger#Can he realistically make it to the final?Yes he can.Can he knock out Djock?Honestly,I wish he does.

I love Roger so much,one of my all time sport personality(Roger,Kaka,Messi,Maldini etc)I wish and hope he wins it,that will be awesome.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 12, 2013
fonssy: Federer and Murray are my best for the men and serena and sharapova are my best for women. I wish Murray wins for men and serena wins for women.
Serena will definitely win except she sustains some injury. Serena's power has no match among other female tennis players. She should be playing with men.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by sholay2011(m): 12:29pm On Jan 12, 2013
Team Federer and Serena!
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by outrage: 12:29pm On Jan 12, 2013
hot n cold: #TeamRoger#Can he realistically make it to the final?Yes he can.Can he knock out Djock?Honestly,I wish he does.

I love Roger so much,one of my all time sport personality(Roger,Kaka,Messi,Maldini etc)I wish and hope he wins it,that will be awesome.
The guy is a legend! There's no other like him, its going to take a while to get someone like him..

Just like justine henin hardenne in women tennis.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Davijunson: 12:29pm On Jan 12, 2013
#team roger#.....i knw he's gettin pass his game buh i do sincerely hope he makes it to the final n wins...i love fedEX xo much....so calm n cool headed...no doubt he's the GOAT.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by outrage: 12:31pm On Jan 12, 2013
^^
You said my mind
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Santino1(m): 12:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I sincerely hope Roger Federer will win but I know it will be difficult. The reality is that the likely winner will be either Novak Djokovic or Andy Murray.

Don't be deceived by the Flushing Meadows victory where the only top 5 player he played en-route to the trophy was Novak.

Novak still remains the overwhelming favourite.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by adahib: 12:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
Novak all the way... he's going to dish it out like never before.
I can't wait
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by hollypagan: 12:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Poster who told you that VICTORIA AZIRENKA won wembledon 2012 do ur research well,its serena williams, now apolozise to niaralanders

1 Like

Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Santino1(m): 12:55pm On Jan 12, 2013
outrage:
The guy is a legend! There's no other like him, its going to take a while to get someone like him..

Just like justine henin hardenne in women tennis.

Very bad comparison... who is Henin when you speak of the Grafs, Navratilovas and Serenas of this world?

1 Like

Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
holly-pagan:
Poster who told you that VICTORIA AZIRENKA who wembledon 2012 do ur research well,its serena williams, now apolozise to niaralanders
Victoria Azarenka is the only female tennis player that can come near challenging Serena today. However, Serena is still far more powerful than the Azarenka and is expected to win. This easy predictability of the female game is killing the excitement of the female game.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by dyamondbouy: 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2013
ROGER....
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by outrage: 1:17pm On Jan 12, 2013
Santino1:

Very bad comparison... who is Henin when you speak of the Grafs, Navratilovas and Serenas of this world?

Playing style is what I ment..
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by luvmijeje(f): 1:30pm On Jan 12, 2013
Go Vee Go Ree,wishing u guyz best of luck.
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Santino1(m): 1:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
outrage:

Playing style is what I ment..

True...she is the female version of Federer
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by isik: 1:57pm On Jan 12, 2013
team roger all da way!!.... FEDEX!!... but i think Murray will perform well too
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by fuckluv(f): 2:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
kissI'm so excited about this Aussie open, i always look 4ward 2 it. Team Roger and serena all d way! But i miss Elena Dementieva. cry
Re: Tennis Australian Open 2013. by Delafruita(m): 2:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Santino1:

Don't be deceived by the Flushing Meadows victory where the only top 5 player he played en-route to the trophy was Novak.

Novak still remains the overwhelming favourite.
at the last aussie open,murray and djokie played a horrendous five-set semis that got all pundits applauding murray's performance.that was his first high-profile competition since lendl came on board and it was clear murray was ready to take the fight to the top 3.flushing meadow's wasnt a fluke.murray beat federer in london and i believe the aussie open will see a brand new murray.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

"I Can’t Imagine Playing In Real Madrid Without Cristiano Ronaldo" Marco Asensio / Nigeria Vs Algeria Nations Cup [1 -0] / Nigeria's Flamingos Vs South-african Bantwana : 6 - 0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.