Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? (5550 Views)

Facebook Is Trying To Kill Facekobo.com - A Nigerian Website / How To Get Free Domains To Use For Adsense For Domain / Help Us Build the Best Nigerian Website Directory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by zynzyn(m): 9:02pm On Jan 12, 2013
If any one reading this would agree, many Nigerian Website Owners are fund of forgetting to renew their domains!

If you check, the numbers are STAGGERING!!

My explanation is that these sites were receiving little or no traffic, so the owners did not know their value!

I will discuss this further on www.inabound.com within a week.

Please give your opinion/experience!
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by yawatide(f): 10:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
From experience and observation, I can say that is more likely that the "webmasters" who did the sites are to blame - in an effort to score cheap money, they don't tell the clients that domains will expire in a year. By the time the client realizes it, one year don pass and "webmaster" don vamoose!

What do I do? When dealing with Nigerian clients, I advise them to pay enough for at least 3 years in a row. Where they balk, knowing them for who they are (generally speaking), I will build it into my pricing. I mean, who wants to hound a client every year for renewal fees?

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by zynzyn(m): 7:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
@yawa-ti-de

I take your point, but if you really value your website, like you value a house, all the vital info should be at your fingertips. Specifically, if that website is generating business on a daily basis, it is unthinkable you will ignore the domain issues.

By the way, are you a web designer, we may be able to work together!
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by tessyade: 7:30pm On Jan 13, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
From experience and observation, I can say that is more likely that the "webmasters" who did the sites are to blame - in an effort to score cheap money, they don't tell the clients that domains will expire in a year. By the time the client realizes it, one year don pass and "webmaster" don vamoose!

What do I do? When dealing with Nigerian clients, I advise them to pay enough for at least 3 years in a row. Where they balk, knowing them for who they are (generally speaking), I will build it into my pricing. I mean, who wants to hound a client every year for renewal fees?
I so love the way you respond to questions. I rarely visit nairaland due to the nature of my job but the few times i visit this section, i always want to read something from you. Thumbs up to you.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by mrperfect(m): 8:12pm On Jan 13, 2013
Is a mind set thing, most started activities in internet free. Constantly paying for a thing isn't their hallmark

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
Blame it on webmasters!

Whenever i have a new domain to register for a client, i ensure the client pays for 2 years and i send expiration notification to my clients 3 months ahead of time.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by zikclassiq(m): 9:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
Somebody like me will allow my domain to expire because i want to change to another webhost provider. This is just to try my hands on different cpanels and features. For ur info, utiware.net cpanel features is quite different 4rm syskay.com. The same 4 web4africa.net etc. So it depends also on a webmaster looking for what he wants!
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Ecash1: 3:22pm On Jan 26, 2013
yawa-ti-de:

@ yawa-ti-de Sir, While i agreed with you, there are host of others that have their personal site hit the rock, in fact I can count out up to 50 in this section ( Webmasters), I attributed all that to lack of knowledge and focus, so many website owners that said we should review their website in this section about 3-4 years ago are now extinct, I will give larger blame to that, I have Little success getting clients go past the two years mark.
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 26, 2013
Most domain names get abandoned by their owners because the websites are not economically viable or adds little or no value to their business. Trust me, domain name registrars and hosting companies send enough reminder mails prior to expiration but owners are webmasters just don't care anymore about such websites.
However, a professional Webmaster will notify the owner as soon as the expiration date is approaching and the owner would extend it for another year or more if such a website is valuable to the owner.

So only wack webmaster make sites that owners are not interested in keeping.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by yawatide(f): 11:59am On Jan 27, 2013
zynzyn:
I am a web developer (as in CSS, XHTML, JavaScript and PHP/JSP) and not a designer (as in PhotoShop, Firweworks, etc). If you still want to partner on jobs, YIM me at yawatide so we can talk more.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by 53cur3m0d3(m): 4:42am On Feb 01, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
zynzyn:
I am a web developer (as in CSS, XHTML, JavaScript and PHP/JSP) and not a designer (as in PhotoShop, Firweworks, etc). If you still want to partner on jobs, YIM me at yawatide so we can talk more.
Cool, didn't kno U were JSP o. It's hard comin across JSP peepz on here as compared to PHP.
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by mrkels(m): 11:55am On Feb 01, 2013
When its not making them any penny, and they see peeps like seun , linda, making cheddars, what do you expect? cheesy
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by rufaai(m): 3:19am On Feb 02, 2013
Two things mostly: 1) Payment difficulties and 2) Negligence.

Making payments online Nigeria is a pain in the *ss. So far one cannot tie his orders to auto renew with his card. Thanks to Interswich for making that impossible!

It is always good to register domain names for morethan 1yr and ensure the domain owner knows how and when next to renew the domain. A reminder would be crucial too.

At GigaLayer, developers can add multiple billing contact for invoices, reducing the risks mentioned by @yawa-ti-de
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by elnino3(m): 7:19am On Feb 02, 2013
I blame the web masters on a certain level ..myself included. some times as web developers we don't add value to our clients business we are only a, liability. whether a website makes money or not to the owner, if a site adds value to a business, trust me even the webmaster will be diligent about the website expiration...
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by pboiskinpy(m): 11:03am On Feb 02, 2013
I guess dis na 4 web masters na??make I go bak to sleep jaree

#jux passing n dancing gangnam style

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by francescainnoce(f): 11:13am On Feb 02, 2013
Asin eh! I wish I hv an idea about this web stuff...see how lost I am here...
Kindaf interested but uni things will not allow me for now
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by ignis: 11:25am On Feb 02, 2013
francescainnoce: Asin eh! I wish I hv an idea about this web stuff...see how lost I am here...
You are not alone.
I got no slight idea too.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Mobinga: 11:25am On Feb 02, 2013
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by EasyNaijacom: 11:25am On Feb 02, 2013
Lol. I hate that feeling. When people start taking about stuff I have no idea about. I would wish I had telepathic powers. cheesy
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Techwriter: 11:36am On Feb 02, 2013
1. Most business owners of the older generation started without a website, they were pushed to have one and after one year they see no need for it since they've never made money with it contrary to what his expectations were. Meanwhile they never promotrd the site and were just expecting it to deliver magic
2. Some websites are built by freelancers who are in a hurry to make quick money and solve their immediate problems. There is no organization in their system and no way to keep record of clients and offer after service suppor
3. 80% of businesses close within the first 5 years of start. As they close their websites close
4. The owner thinks the web manager is charging too much. "Some said they do their own for 5k or less" is the popular complain

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by francescainnoce(f): 11:44am On Feb 02, 2013
ignis:
You are not alone.
I got no slight idea too.
Lol
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by P11(m): 11:44am On Feb 02, 2013
How do you convince a client who has not even finished paying you your initial fees to pay for the next year?

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by talk2D: 11:50am On Feb 02, 2013
Will you make what brings income expire?
The domain expire because it has no value.
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by EasyNaijacom: 11:50am On Feb 02, 2013
P1!:
How do you convince a client who has not even finished paying you your initial fees to pay for the next year?
You don't have to convince them. When their domains expire then they will understand.
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Adanyebe(m): 11:51am On Feb 02, 2013
BECUZ NAIJA FIND THEMSELVES IN HARD POSITIONS WHERE TO MAKE AN ONLINE TRANSACTION BECOME A DIFFICULT TASK (ESP. FOR RENEWAL OF THEIR DOMAINS). MOST OF THEM GO THROUGH OTHER COMPANIES BASED ABROAD WITH SYNDICATES IN NIGERIA TO PROCESS DOMAIN SERVICES.
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 02, 2013
Adanyebe: BECUZ NAIJA FIND THEMSELVES IN HARD POSITIONS WHERE TO MAKE AN ONLINE TRANSACTIONS A DIFFICULT TASK (FOR RENEWAL OF THIER DOMAINS). MOST OF THEM GO THROUGH OTHER COMPANIES BASED ABROAD WITH SYNDICATES IN NIGERIA TO PROCESS DOMAIN SERVICES.
It's much easier now.
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 12:06pm On Feb 02, 2013
If the site was built for someone else/business by another then most of the blame should go to the builder(be it an individual or a company). I put the blame on them 'cause they probably didn't inform the owner about the expiry duration and or even inform them when it was about to go off. Truth, is they probably might be nowhere to be found afterwards, and sometimes they disappear with the necessary info needed for an update(I've witnessed this before, had to search the world grin for the webmaster to get the necessary info to help the owner fix the problem. Found him, but couldn't even get anything from him.)

Yawa-ti-de's method should fix the above

However, if it's the webmaster that owns the site personally like Nairaland for example. Then I attribute the problem majorly to money which is always as a result of failure of the site. To be candid there were few times I've wanted to let a site go but I really don't see myself throwing off a domain name.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 02, 2013
zynzyn: If any one reading this would agree, many Nigerian Website Owners are fund of forgetting to renew their domains!

If you check, the numbers are STAGGERING!!

My explanation is that these sites were receiving little or no traffic, so the owners did not know their value!

I will discuss this further on www.inabound.com within a week.

Please give your opinion/experience!

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AFFECT THE PRICE OF GAARI. MTCHEEW
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by IncomeTutor: 12:36pm On Feb 02, 2013
As a webmaster registering a domain name for a client,
you have a duty to write a small guide on domain name
registration, ownership, expiration, and possibly losing
the virtual real estate to speculators.

Education is very important here. If domain owners are
not aware of the value of a domain name, they will care
less about expiration.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by TundE8: 2:18pm On Feb 02, 2013
you can still learn on pt basis. www.w3schools.com is a good place to start
francescainnoce: Asin eh! I wish I hv an idea about this web stuff...see how lost I am here...
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by fadedayo: 3:06pm On Feb 02, 2013
For me, my web developer kept on trying to rip me off when it came time for renewal so i decided to let it expire and registered a new web url myself. Now i have full control of my registration, renewal, cpanel etc. Its always nice to be in control of some of these things when you have a website.

www.upforgrabsonline.com
Re: Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? by Rooneyboy(m): 3:22pm On Feb 02, 2013
What are all u niggas discussing here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Paid Ads Good For Increasing Google Adsense Earnings? / Aptech Accp/bsc. Student / Responsive Emails - To Implement Or Not To Implement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.