Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,371 members, 7,781,038 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:53 AM

Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur (11573 Views)

Fresh Crisis In Senate As APC Senators Vow To Stop Ekweremadu From Presiding / Obasanjo Will Not Be Missed In PDP, Says Anenih / Jonathan To Impose Anenih On PDP As Bot Chairman - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by ballabriggs: 1:35am On Jan 13, 2013
PDP crisis: If I go, Tukur goes, says Oyinlola
Posted by: Yusuf Alli, Abuja Posted date: January 13, 2013

• Oni, Babatope, Filani in line to replace Oyinlola
• Ex-Osun gov files court brief, seeks stay-of execution

The sacked National Secretary of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, has launched a fight back to save his political career.

He has filed an appeal against the judgment of a Federal High Court in Abuja, which removed him from office, and is also seeking a stay of execution of the judgment of Justice Abdu Kafarati.

In the face of reports that leading members of the ruling party had counseled him to step down following the court judgment against him, the former Osun State governor insists there is no basis for him to do so. He does not understand why he has to be drawn into the zonal congress controversy when the party’s National Chairman, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, who is a product of the zonal congress is not.

The former governor, who spoke through his media aide, Mr. Ayo Olaiya, said if the issue persists it will affect Tukur more than anyone else in the party hierarchy.

He said: “The argument of Oyinlola is that he was not a product of any zonal congress. So his nomination is not illegal. Oyinlola said he emerged at the National Convention after other contestants had publicly stepped down for him.

“He said at the South-West Congress in Osogbo, the only candidate endorsed was the National Vice-Chairman (South-West) of the PDP, Mr. Segun Oni.

“He said the application before the Federal High Court was baseless, an abuse of court process and ought not to have been entertained at all in the first instance.”

On pressure being placed on him to step aside, the media aide said: “There is nothing like that. Nobody in the party, including the National Chairman of PDP, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, has asked Oyinlola to leave office. Oyinlola will not vacate his seat and any move to make him do so will be subjudice given the appeal already filed.

“Tukur or anybody could not have spoken to Oyinlola. All NWC members, except Tukur, emerged at the National Convention of the party, not at the zonal congress.

“If you can recall very well, Tukur was actually defeated by a former National Secretary of PDP, Babayo Shehu, at the North-East Congress before President Goodluck Jonathan and other leaders prevailed on Shehu to step down for him.

“So, if there is any issue about zonal congress, it will affect Tukur more than any member of the NWC because he emerged contrary to the decision of the zonal congress.

“Therefore, if they are holding on to the so-called claim of zonal congress, whatever affects Oyinlola will weigh heavily on Tukur. That is why Tukur or anybody in NWC cannot ask Oyinlola to leave office.”

However, it was gathered that the plot to effectively terminate Prince Oyinlola’s reign as the National Secretary of the PDP gathered pace yesterday.

According to sources, some party leaders have shortlisted one time Transport Minister, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, National Vice Chairman of the PDP (South West), Chief Segun Oni and former National Publicity Secretary of the defunct Social Democratic Party (SDP), Chief Ishola Filani, as possible candidates to replace him in an acting capacity.

The National Chairman of the party, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, and some other leaders of the PDP are understood to have asked Prince Oyinlola to step aside until the determination of his appeal.

Investigation by our correspondent showed that some leaders of the PDP and those loyal to Tukur are insisting on Oyinlola stepping aside.

It was learnt that some of the leaders have tried to reach out to Oyinlola to “act true to type as a lawyer by respecting the judgment of the court to step aside.”

A party source said Tukur reiterated the same position when he interacted with party leaders and a couple of NWC members on Friday after the judgment.

The source said: “The party is expecting an enforcement order from the court to enable Oyinlola to vacate his seat till his matter is finally ironed out by the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.

“Once Oyinlola leaves office temporarily, the party will prevail on the South-West to pick a nominee as acting National Secretary among three candidates to be recommended. The party wants to stick to the zoning formula instead of asking the Deputy National Secretary to act.

“The candidates being considered are the National Vice-Chairman of PDP(South-West), Chief Segun Oni; a former National Organising Secretary of the defunct Unity Party of Nigeria(UPN), Chief Ebenezer Babatope, and a former National Publicity Secretary of the former Social Democratic Party(SDP), Chief Ishola Filani.

“The opinion of some loyalists of Tukur is in favour of Oni, who is rated as more amenable than the others. But the party will go by the consensus of key stakeholders, including President Goodluck Jonathan.”

A member of the National Working Committee said: “What the leaders are saying is that Oyinlola must obey court order by vacating office until he secures a stay.

“Even if there is a court order for a stay of execution, the party will run into a crisis because any decision taken by Oyinlola would amount to nullity if he eventually loses at the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. So, the National Secretariat will not function well and there can’t be a smooth working relationship between the National Chairman and Oyinlola.

“It is going to be a no-win situation for the party.”

A source close to the PDP Governors Forum said: “As far as the governors are concerned, Oyinlola won’t step aside at all. Instead, they have encouraged him to be steadfast because he remains their candidate for the job.

“The governors took note of the fact that a High Court is not a final court in the land. Therefore, hanging on to the High Court judgment would amount to mischief.”

Friday’s court decision on Oyinlola was greeted with jubilation in the camp of President Goodluck Jonathan and Tukur.

The president and his strategists are determined to regain control of the party ahead of the 2015 elections and do not consider Oyinlola as one whose control of the party’s secretariat would be of benefit to their camp.

Oyinlola was nominated by former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the state governors.

Source
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by koruji(m): 1:51am On Jan 13, 2013
Some people will come here about party democracy in PDP.
I say what party democracy?
They arrange everything beforehand and come into the open to count already decided ballot.
And God forbid anything go wrong with the choices already made, the openly "elected" party will step down.
Just read the article for yourself to see the corruption called PDP.
I am glad they are fighting though - there is no honor among thieves!!!
Party democracy is good, but shambolic party democracy is worse than no party democracy.

5 Likes

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Nobody: 1:55am On Jan 13, 2013
PDP Action Film. Who needs a cinema when I've got this?

*sits, crosses legs and munches guguru and epa*

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Nobody: 3:04am On Jan 13, 2013
So much high wired politics and intrigues.
Soon there shall be the night of the long knives ...
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by seanet01: 3:25am On Jan 13, 2013
Esu lagiri oko
PDP lo ni kin fun e ni adin yi jeo.
PDP ni kosi ohun to ma seo
mo fe ko se mewa funwon
kose won bi ata sen se oju
laalu o
laaroye o
elekun sun ekun laaroye sun eje

10 Likes

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by onatisi(m): 6:40am On Jan 13, 2013
the national sec is and was the only slot given to obj.now gej wants it bck.if he can achieve that ,the next ppl he will deal with re the govs.the question now is ,will obj fights back?how can nd will the govs save oyin from sack?will tukur be pushed out to?
can the president survive the impending attack of the govs?the tension is begining to rise nd intrigues getting messier ,
THE GODFATHER VS HIS GODSON,grab ur copy nowwwwwwwwwwwwww
grin only 200 naira,offer last while stock last

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by eggheaders(m): 7:06am On Jan 13, 2013
the big thieving party,is falling like a pack of cards.can't wait for the nest of killers to self destruct.

2 Likes

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by takedat(m): 7:13am On Jan 13, 2013
A kingdom divided against itself is ruined. The skulduggery of GEJ and his bootlickers will crumble the biggest looting party as the fight gets messier because Oyinlola will most likely be granted a stay of execution pending appeal by one of the cash and carry judges with the support of the PDP governors and OBJ.
Let's see how the plot to weaken a weak president goes!

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by lastmanstandn(m): 7:14am On Jan 13, 2013
@seanet
You're wicked o.

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by gunuvi(m): 7:18am On Jan 13, 2013
At least we know pdp changes their party executives, I haven't heard acn change any of their party exco since it was founded.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by OmoTier1(m): 7:38am On Jan 13, 2013
gunuvi: At least we know pdp changes their party executives, I haven't heard acn change any of their party exco since it was founded.
Is the change a product of democratic necessity or magomago politics

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by ballabriggs: 7:43am On Jan 13, 2013
This is the only war I will happily supply all parties weeapons of mass destruction to destroy themselves.

PDP the den of killers.

In other stories, Jona done carry another N2 trillion run O. N2 trillion plus N5 trillion wey miss before is equals to N7 trillion. Ovoko!!!
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by GARRIx7(m): 8:43am On Jan 13, 2013
ballabriggs: This is the only war I will happily supply all parties weeapons of mass destruction to destroy themselves.

PDP the den of killers.

In other stories, Jona done carry another N2 trillion run O. N2 trillion plus N5 trillion wey miss before is equals to N7 trillion. Ovoko!!!

I pity those who say GEJ is clueless!!

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Gbawe: 8:54am On Jan 13, 2013
koruji: Some people will come here about party democracy in PDP.
They arrange everything beforehand and come into the open to count already decided ballot.
And God forbid anything go wrong with the choices already made, the openly "elected" party will step down.

Party democracy is good, but shambolic party democracy is worse than no party democracy.

Correct talk my brother. This is what we keep telling the hypocrites and bigots here who agreed PDP was "the worst Party in the world" under Yar Adua yet sing a different tune today because GEJ is President. Suddenly, "the PDP is democratic" and the "only national Party in Nigeria". Yet, intelligent folks know that the democracy thing is a mirage. A sham and a sleight of hand utilised to deliver predetermined choices as you posit correctly.

The"nest of killers" will destroy itself. GEJ himself will have nowhere to hide with his current antics taking on very determined and desperate "killers" who will feel they built and own the Party. 'Goodluck' to Jonathan. He will need a lot of it.

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 13, 2013
The faster the nest of killers party get destroyed...the better for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by suskumayaya(m): 9:15am On Jan 13, 2013
All these that happened is as a result of the weakling pdp platform in southwest. I guess GEJ doesn't really need sw votes. Anyway, let's see how it plays out in 2015.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by lacasa: 9:43am On Jan 13, 2013
Make dem Kill themselves tongue

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by jpilata(m): 10:24am On Jan 13, 2013
This is a very strong battle b/w 2 lions
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by kunlekunle: 10:58am On Jan 13, 2013
koruji: Some people will come here about party democracy in PDP.

food for thought for nigerians.
selection before election, undemocratic.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 13, 2013
God is able and He answereth all prayers.Now that there is fire in their camp,I pray the fire consume all of them from jonathan till the smallest ranking member that have destroy Nigeria.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Gbawe: 11:04am On Jan 13, 2013
lacasa: Make dem Kill themselves tongue

It may happen and I expect assassinations may be an option because "do or die" players on all sides of the fence are extremely desperate and ready to do whatever it takes to secure advantages over others.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by omarky(m): 11:12am On Jan 13, 2013
Oyinlola will be dead politically if Tukur succeed in Sacking him. Ogbeni still has a strong hold on d politics of Osun
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by aare07(m): 11:13am On Jan 13, 2013
two camp:: Jonathan and Tukur , and Obasanjo and Oyinlola
Let wait and See.....................
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by elpatch(m): 11:15am On Jan 13, 2013
If I go,tukur goes........politmatics.I like that.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Standing5(m): 11:16am On Jan 13, 2013
Goodluck Jo na tan, oku die . . . Ah . . . O ma se o.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by EVKenny: 11:27am On Jan 13, 2013
....Trouble in paradise,this is the begining of the end and down- fall of africa's greatest party.Inside fights will aid the break up of this wicked party,
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by supoade: 11:32am On Jan 13, 2013
seanet01

Esu lagiri oko
PDP lo ni kin fun e ni adin yi jeo.
PDP ni kosi ohun to ma seo
mo fe ko se mewa funwon
kose won bi ata sen se oju
laalu o
laaroye o
elekun sun ekun laaroye sun eje

Kai! too much of Africa Magic Yoruba!
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Fadelex(m): 12:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
PDP, ACN, CPC and d rest are d same... They never practice internal politics, all they do is selection... We are watching o.... Cant wait for part II..

grin

1 Like

Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Melancholy(m): 12:23pm On Jan 13, 2013
Who cares about him, after distabilizing the economic status of osun for years.it shows how corrupt pdp is for having oyinlola as the secretary in the first instance.
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by OmerianConsult: 12:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
The highest officers in d PDP are deposed election riggers. smh
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by economia: 12:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
why is it that the seat is only reserved court-proven-criminals who have rigged election of states?
Re: Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur by Elueme: 12:45pm On Jan 13, 2013
I can see many rantings and slurring from foot soldiers and bootlickers of failed political parties whose hope of survival is hinged on merging. I laugh in Hindus, because these folks are either ignorant or they have suffered dementia or else would have known that the party PDP is very strong and reliable in internal dispute settling when it matters most( just before elections). This may just be another precocious jubilation or a wishful thought.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Security Situation In Lagos As At Date / Obi, Bianca Condemn Demolition Of Ojukwu Centre / Uzodimma: Despite Attacks In Imo, The People Are Happier Under My Administration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.