Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? (18494 Views)

Igbo People Translate This For Me And God Will Bless You / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys / Guys Can You Propose To A Lady Afer 3months Of Dating/ladies Can You Say Yes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Igwe9(m): 3:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
Long live!!
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by timpaker(m): 3:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
I'd hold my breath and say a big prayer to God not to let me contract disease from the virus erupting from dia mouth

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by francis247(m): 3:54pm On Jan 15, 2013
It depends on where, when and whom; but usually I pretend to hear nothing.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jan 15, 2013
I used to say bless you before but I stopped cos I saw it as pretense. What I say now is get a tissue or an handkerchief especially if it's the ceaseless type.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by ochallo: 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2013
Tusky44: Not necessary to say anything cos if the person goes on and on sneezing, what would you keep saying? Just allow them and eventually ask, "are you alright?"

you must be a clown! lol

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by mutaalim(m): 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2013
What most people do not know is that sneezing is a blessing from your creator , you can prove me wrong on that
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Bluediamond1(f): 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
My grandma usually say 'barika'. Bt moi jst say bless u.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sorry.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by SisiKill1: 4:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Saying GOD BLESS after someone sneezes started a looooooooooooooong time ago, a time when plagues killed people like flies.

Back then, they didn't know what caused the plagues. . .twas like one minute someone is chatting with you about the horse drawn wagon they just acquired, the next they dropped dead.

Oh Jesus! What is this? What happened?!! shocked shocked

It was a confusing time to say the least. sad

Then in came sneezing (Probably from all the dusty roads and hays and whacumacallit)

Oy! They may not have known what caused the plague but they knew sneezing wasn't "normal" or a pretty sight either (Gosh have you noticed how grotesque people look when they are sneezing lipsrsealed ). . .so could sneezing be a symptom of the sickness?! They thought to themselves! It must be! It has to be!

Oh no! How do we fight this?!!

Who can control this?!

Wait a min...Why are we panicking?!! Who Controls everything. . .God of course! cool

Yes, Yes, that's it. . .as soon as someone sneezes, we will quickly invoke God's blessing on the sneezer and they won't die.

And what do ya know. . .IT WORKED! shocked shocked

Yeah, now we know that sneezing was most likely not caused by the plague therefore the people sneezing wouldn't have necessarily found themselves six feet under, did not stop the culture of saying God Bless You after a good sneeze.

There you have it! God Bless you. . .Hope and faith wrapped up in 3 itty bitty words.

So what harm will it cause saying it?!

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by drlaykay(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
People say bless u after sneezing cos the heart stops for millisecond during sneezing.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by real2fix(m): 4:19pm On Jan 15, 2013
if say na yoruba i say pe le .. If say na igbo beko ...i say na hausa i say soonu..if say na ajebo i say i no how u feel..
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by moneyhungry(m): 4:20pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim: Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)
all this poetry just for a sneeze? !?

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by SisiKill1: 4:25pm On Jan 15, 2013
dr.laykay:
People say bless u after sneezing cos the heart stops for millisecond during sneezing.

Doki Doki! Which medical book una read one? cheesy
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
"No dey spread catarrh" abi e get any oda thing to say?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Sunnibenty: 4:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
i tel am coward
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Mrskillz1(f): 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
I'l look at him n b lyk 'wtf!'
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
You need procold!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Temi231(f): 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2013
God Bless you
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2013
you need procold
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by harlos: 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2013
raynold17 :
thunder fire you
and if u sneeze too same thing goes to you.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by sheymoni(m): 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
Get that shit under controlgrin grin ;

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
Most times I keep quiet. On very rare occassions I find myself unknowingly saying 'sorry'.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by sweetsmalsis(f): 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2013
I wud say 'try harder'
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Oahray: 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
At times I don't say anything jor. Other times I just say 'sorry'.
I think sneezing is already a blessing as its the body's way of trying to expel irritants like cold air, pollen or dust. For me, saying "Bless you" has superstituous undertones.

Its the one who sneezes who should say something, like 'excuse me'.
I know someone who says "Jesus I love you" each time he sneezes" grin
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 15, 2013
golamike: I always wonder if "bless you" are the right words to say to an individual who sneezes around you. I don't know if it's a Nigerian thing or it's universal. Most of the time, i just keep quiet rather than say "bless you" because i'm not comfortable using those words. I don't know if i'm the only one who thinks those words are not really suitable for that situation. Please, does anyone think like me?? Which word(s) do you consider more appropriate??
u can do better
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Oahray: 4:47pm On Jan 15, 2013
dr.laykay:
This is one of the sneezing superstitions. Another one is that sneezing opens a door to the soul, and either it flies out or evil spirits fly in.
Crap!
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by 3kay945(m): 4:49pm On Jan 15, 2013
I say " hold something o "
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by montero4relo(m): 4:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
Lwkmd
o'boy:
*Slap across the face*
you dey mad !!!...you wan gimme birdflu ni?
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Case33(m): 4:54pm On Jan 15, 2013
soledayo:
All these because someone sneezed. May God have mercy. If the person then defecate beside u. wetin go happen.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by deife(m): 4:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
Larrylarex: if someone sneeze beside me, i'll say 'gesundheit' that is the correct word to use, it's origin is german and it literally means:
'good health to you!'

Dude, I approve this!
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by SamMilla1(m): 5:04pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim: Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)

All that because someone sneezed?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

An Open Letter To My Co-Tenant By A Nairalander / Baby Miraculously Saved From A Burning House (Video) / Why Blame Women For Everything??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.