Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,721 members, 7,805,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? (18394 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 9:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:
There is nothing wrong with tattooing in itself.
Pls stop spreading lies and leading people to etenal damnation. Young Christians may be reading and such teaching is capable of leading them astray.

Now do u even know the history of tattooing? Did u know it has its origin in paganism? I bet u never knew that. Folks like u just embrace anything that is in vogue in the name of changing wt the times cos u dont wanna be left behind.

Ok, let me help your ignorance so u can learn something new. Below is a text from the history of tattooing:

"In 1891, archaeologists discovered the
mummified remains of amunet, a priestess of the goddess hathor, at thebes who lived some time between 2160 BC and 1994 BC.
This female mummy displayed several
lines and dots tattooed about her body - grouping dots and/ or dashes were aligned into abstract geometric patterns. This art form was restricted
to women only, and usually these women were associated with ritualistic practice.
The Egyptians spread the practice of
tattooing throughout the world."

www.designboom.com/history/tattoo_history.html

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by cyrexx: 3:56am On Jan 21, 2013
LOL,

this is so funny.

I thought the bible is there as a guiding book. How come you guys cant agree to what you are supposed to believe.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by jmoore(m): 7:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
some christians are living under sharia law, how is tattoo a sin? Ignorance of the word of God drive people to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by honourhim: 8:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
tattoo is not decent for a child of God. i dont even see any thing that is worth desiring about it. Our body is the temple of God and i think we should be careful how we handle the temple. we shouldnt be too fast in pursuing whatever that is in vogue.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 9:00pm On Jan 22, 2013
honourhim: tattoo is not decent for a child of God. i dont even see any thing that is worth desiring about it. Our body is the temple of God and i think we should be careful how we handle the temple. we shouldnt be too fast in pursuing whatever that is in vogue.
Thank you very much, so many people lack wisdom to make the right decisions.

Jesus was angry when He saw that the temple was being decimated that he had to chase the sellers out.
Now, our body is the temple of God, decimating it in any way is not what God will be happy with.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by honey001(m): 7:22am On Jan 23, 2013
Ask yourself this simple question, will Jesus tattoo his body, or do u read in any place that he Jesus had tattoos? Actually, there is no single that God cannot forgive once u realised ur sinful state and come to him in true repentance, becos the Bible says the time of ignorance God winked at and it's calling all men to come to repentance. It's assumed you are ignorant of the word of God while having ur tattoo on, but immediately u come to the Lord for forgiveness of ur sins sincerely, God will surely forgive u, if the tattoos can be cleaned, go ahead and clean it, but if not, leave it, just continue living a holy life as dat is the only thing that guarantee making heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by honey001(m): 7:26am On Jan 23, 2013
FXKing2012: This topic has already been extensively discussed here: www.nairaland.com/862598/tattoo-body-evil

It is a sin but no one is absolutely certain it can take u to hell cos not all sins lead to hell.

Point of correction, all sins will lead to hell if one fail to repent from them all.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by honourhim: 11:23am On Jan 23, 2013
honey001:

Point of correction, all sins will lead to hell if one fail to repent from them all.
yeah, you are right. Sin originated from satan and God can never identify with it. He has no need to do so because "the blood of Jesus christ his son clenaseth us from ALL sin".(1 John 1:7) If one now fails to make use of the availability of the blood of Jesus when he has sinned then he has him/herself to blame.

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by frank317: 11:27am On Jan 23, 2013
honey001: Ask yourself this simple question, will Jesus tattoo his body, or do u read in any place that he Jesus had tattoos? Actually, there is no single that God cannot forgive once u realised ur sinful state and come to him in true repentance, becos the Bible says the time of ignorance God winked at and it's calling all men to come to repentance. It's assumed you are ignorant of the word of God while having ur tattoo on, but immediately u come to the Lord for forgiveness of ur sins sincerely, God will surely forgive u, if the tattoos can be cleaned, go ahead and clean it, but if not, leave it, just continue living a holy life as dat is the only thing that guarantee making heaven.

Ask urself too, will jesus preach with I pad? Will jesus send bulk sms? Will jesus go and give thanks giving in the church after surviving auto crash, even knowing that peoplen I mean humans like him died? Will jesus marry and evn have sex? Will jesus put his picture and his wife's on a billboard? Will jesus have to pray like 20times b4 his prayer be answered? Will jesus.... I can go on and on, the list is endless

The fact is that we can never meet up with jesus' standard because of the difference in eras, the only way to meet his standard is to go back to that era.

That being said, the fact is that we neglect one simmple thing "love ur neighbour as urself" if God is not interested in seeing that this world would b a better place he wouldn't want us to love our neighbours. Why are we distracting ourselves with tatoo,

Everybody puts on what he/she likes. How does puting on black jeans glorify God, put still u put is on and feel good. If I like tatoo, I will put it all over my body and I will decide if it will stop me from loving and obeying God.

4 Likes

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by Namiad(m): 12:09pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ghettoguru: The bible says God is love but I keep wondering if that is entirely correct seeing as some verses condemned things like tattooing one's body. Also, I had gone through some topics about christian views on tattoos here on nairaland and some christians seem to be 100% sure & even comfortable with the idea that anyone who tattooed his or her body is a sinner and should be thrown in hell on the judgement day.

I have a few tattoos, does that mean I and others like me are already condemned and our prayers & worships are useless? If that's true, then, is there any need worshipping a God that will end up throwing us in hell for tattooing our bodies?

If God is going to throw us all in hell for some of these reasons, where is the love? If the good things we do wouldn't be remembered because of mere tattoos, then where is the love? Is God truly love?

I'd like to know your views. Thanks.
hey bro..tattoo is not a sin..thats the truth...what do u think makes it a sin.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by MrAnony1(m): 1:25am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:
Pls stop spreading lies and leading people to etenal damnation. Young Christians may be reading and such teaching is capable of leading them astray.

Now do u even know the history of tattooing? Did u know it has its origin in paganism? I bet u never knew that. Folks like u just embrace anything that is in vogue in the name of changing wt the times cos u dont wanna be left behind.

Ok, let me help your ignorance so u can learn something new. Below is a text from the history of tattooing:

"In 1891, archaeologists discovered the
mummified remains of amunet, a priestess of the goddess hathor, at thebes who lived some time between 2160 BC and 1994 BC.
This female mummy displayed several
lines and dots tattooed about her body - grouping dots and/ or dashes were aligned into abstract geometric patterns. This art form was restricted
to women only, and usually these women were associated with ritualistic practice.
The Egyptians spread the practice of
tattooing throughout the world."

www.designboom.com/history/tattoo_history.html

I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Romans 14:14

For something very related, why don't you also read 1 Cor 8 for what Paul says about food offered to idols.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 6:21am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Romans 14:14

For something very related, why don't you also read 1 Cor 8 for what Paul says about food offered to idols.
If nothing is unclean in itself except you consider it unclean, it means murder, fornication, idolatery, adultery, etc are not unclean in themselves except you consider them unclean (lol).
You need wisdom to understand the context in which Paul was speaking/writing and those he was actually addressing. That utterance by Paul is not meant for everybody.

1 Thes. 5:22
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

1 Cor. 8:13
Therefore, if food makes my
brother to stumble, I will eat no meat
while the world stands, lest I make my
brother to stumble.

Rom. 14: 21
It is good neither to eat meat, nor
to drink wine, nor anything by which
your brother stumbles, or is offended,
or is made weak.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by jmoore(m): 6:46am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:

You need wisdom to understand the context in which Paul was speaking/writing and those he was actually addressing.

while the world stand, lest I make my brother to stumble

It seems you are the one that need wisdom. So if I am eating chicken and you dont like it then it is a sin for me to continue to eat it.
Tattoo is not a sin just like eating food. Many kinds of food were forbidden in the old testament. Until some christians change from their "old testament mentality" they will continue to be a slave to laws that have no effects in the life of a christian

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by MrAnony1(m): 8:46am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:
If nothing is unclean in itself except you consider it unclean, it means murder, fornication, idolatery, adultery, etc are not unclean in themselves except you consider them unclean (lol).
Reducto ad absurdum

You need wisdom to understand the context in which Paul was speaking/writing and those he was actually addressing. That utterance by Paul is not meant for everybody.
1 Thes. 5:22
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

while the world stands, lest I make my
brother to stumble.

Rom. 14: 21
It is good neither to eat meat, nor
to drink wine, nor anything by which
your brother stumbles, or is offended,
or is made weak.
Quote mining now are we? Did you actually read the chapter or did you just scan for verses?

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by MrAnony1(m): 9:03am On Jan 24, 2013
jmoore:

It seems you are the one that need wisdom. So if I am eating chicken and you dont like it then it is a sin for me to continue to eat it.
Tattoo is not a sin just like eating food. Many kinds of food were forbidden in the old testament. Until some christians change from their "old testament mentality" they will continue to be a slave to laws that have no effects in the life of a christian
Actually, let me point something out using your analogy.

Imagine you were eating chicken in a place where they feel that eating chicken is a sin, it will not be an act of love on your part to continue eating the chicken knowing that the chicken you are eating is offending your brothers.
The chicken in itself is not sinful but it will be sinful of you to blatantly disrespect your brother's feelings and eat chicken in his presence knowing that eating chicken offends him. That is what Paul is talking about in 1Corinthians 8 and Romans 14.

Let me bring it home; For instance, It will be sinful for a Christian lady to purposely wear trousers to a fellowship where their idea of decency is strictly long skirts.
It is a sin because by doing that she is purposely trying to provoke them. While she might feel like a "more mature saved-by-grace Christian" (though when you look at it properly it is really pride in her heart), she is actually causing her brethren to sin because the skirt wearing sisters who are still growing in the faith might respond with malice and gossip amongst themselves "did you see what sister bettina wore today blah blah bla...."

God will hold her responsible for causing them to sin.

The same applies to tattoos, sisters wearing trousers, men braiding their hair e.t.c. There is nothing wrong with them in themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by jmoore(m): 9:34am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Actually, let me point something out using your analogy.

Imagine you were eating chicken in a place where they feel that eating chicken is a sin, it will not be an act of love on your part to continue eating the chicken knowing that the chicken you are eating is offending your brothers.
The chicken in itself is not sinful but it will be sinful of you to blatantly disrespect your brother's feelings and eat chicken in his presence knowing that eating chicken offends him.
many things will offend some people due to ignorance. Should a girl leave her hair unkept just because someone feels offended by her decent hairstyle?
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 10:19am On Jan 24, 2013
Look at these end-time pastors...just keep deceiving yourselves by determining for yourselves what is a sin and what isnt instead of letting the Bible do that fir you.
This is what Christianity has deteriorated into.

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by honey001(m): 11:04am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012: Look at these end-time pastors...just keep deceiving yourselves by determining for yourselves what is a sin and what isnt instead of letting the Bible do that fir you.

Beginning time pastor, is it not human being that will interprete the Bible?

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by jmoore(m): 11:09am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012: Look at these end-time pastors...just keep deceiving yourselves by determining for yourselves what is a sin and what isnt instead of letting the Bible do that fir you.
so those who have tribal marks are in sin? Drawing something on my hand with a pen is a sin? Old testament mentality is keeping some people under bondage.

1 Like

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 11:12am On Jan 24, 2013
jmoore:
so those who have tribal marks are in sin? Drawing something on my hand with a pen is a sin? Old testament mentality is keeping some people under bondage.
You know not what you say/type.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by MrAnony1(m): 1:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
jmoore:
many things will offend some people due to ignorance. Should a girl leave her hair unkept just because someone feels offended by her decent hairstyle?
True, many things will offend people but it is our duty to love and loving means bearing with them and being careful not to offend. Usually, when I get into a squabble with my brother over how I dress or something of that nature, I try and show the person from scripture why and how it isn't against Christ. It is all about love, longsuffering and submitting to one another
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by annyplenty(m): 11:44pm On Jan 24, 2013
If you have tattoo on your body, kindly repent genuinely and turn away from further wickedness.
God will forgive and redeem you in Christ Jesus. This is not time for argument. It is time for repentance and holiness.
God bless you. Shalom.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 25, 2013
annyplenty:
If you have tattoo on your body, kindly repent genuinely and turn away from further wickedness.
God will forgive and redeem you in Christ Jesus. This is not time for argument. It is time for repentance and holiness.
God bless you. Shalom.

Thanks for your comment, but I'm confused at the emboldened. How is having tattoos wickedness? A wicked man is a wicked man, having tattoos doesn't make one wicked. I agree I erred for putting on the tattoos in the first place but that doesn't make me a wicked person....I'm a good person, I have never been wicked to any one or on anything all my life. Thanks any way.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 6:12am On Jan 25, 2013
Ghettoguru:

Thanks for your comment, but I'm confused at the emboldened. How is having tattoos wickedness? A wicked man is a wicked man, having tattoos doesn't make one wicked. I agree I erred for putting on the tattoos in the first place but that doesn't make me a wicked person....I'm a good person, I have never been wicked to any one or on anything all my life. Thanks any way.
It is not until you hurt another man that you are wicked before God; any sin or evil act is wickedness before God. And since tattooing is sinful, it is a wicked act in the Lord's eyes.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by jmoore(m): 7:05am On Jan 25, 2013
FXKing2012:
It is not until you hurt another man that you are wicked before God; any sin or evil act is wickedness before God. And since tattooing is sinful, it is a wicked act in the Lord's eyes.
smh. tattoo is a wicked act? abeg go and study your bible well
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 8:03am On Jan 25, 2013
jmoore:
smh. tattoo is a wicked act? abeg go and study your bible well
The fact that you dont know or believe doesnt change the truth/fact. Some dont believe in the existence of God or even hell, but do their beliefs change the truth?
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by MrAnony1(m): 10:56am On Jan 25, 2013
Ghettoguru:

True that having a tattoo does not make you wicked but what is more important is that you realize that you are not a good person as far as God is concerned. It is only when you submit totally to Christ that God imputes righteousness to you.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by joe4christ(m): 11:02pm On Jan 25, 2013
I'm of the believe that the OP got those tatoo on while still in da world, but now that you're born again, remember 'Old things have passed away, behold all things are new now.'
your tatoo would not be held against you so long you dont flaunt it, remember God cannot be decieved, he knows your deepest thoughts.
Instead get your clothing that would help always cover up those tatoos cos you should really be ashamed flaunting them out if u trully genuinly got born again, and when asked by anyone why the tatoo on you, just tell them it's lifetime reminder of the gutter christ picked and saved you from (Your former life) in that way it would bring glory to God the father and to the lord Jesus who bought you with his precious blood.
Bless you.

Joe4christ!!!

3 Likes

Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 26, 2013
^^^

Thanks joe4christ. Your comment is much appreciated!
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by ijawkid(m): 2:04pm On Jan 26, 2013
joe4christ: I'm of the believe that the OP got those tatoo on while still in da world, but now that you're born again, remember 'Old things have passed away, behold all things are new now.'
your tatoo would not be held against you so long you dont flaunt it, remember God cannot be decieved, he knows your deepest thoughts.
Instead get your clothing that would help always cover up those tatoos cos you should really be ashamed flaunting them out if u trully genuinly got born again, and when asked by anyone why the tatoo on you, just tell them it's lifetime reminder of the gutter christ picked and saved you from (Your former life) in that way it would bring glory to God the father and to the lord Jesus who bought you with his precious blood.
Bless you.

Joe4christ!!!

Very good..........
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by alexleo(m): 9:19pm On Jan 26, 2013
FXKing2012:
I've always respected your opinions but in this case dont u think u shld have asked me to explain or show u Bible passages that made me make such a comment before labelling me a false teacher?

I expect us to be very intelligent and civilized in our dealings pls.
sorry if u feel offended but all sins leads to hell if not repented of.
Re: Will Having Tattoos Send Me To Hell? by FXKing2012(m): 11:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
alexleo:
sorry if u feel offended but all sins leads to hell if not repented of.
You are entitled to your opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

God Asked Me To Retire, Says Pope Benedict XVI / Reply Kukah With Facts, Not Attacks - Joseph Hayab, CAN Boss Tells FG / Mildred Okonkwo: You Can't Be Angry At Pastors Flying Jets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.