Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,840 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria (8632 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Attacks By Boko Haram Have Reduced In Nigeria, Says Buhari - ThisDay / Poverty Has A Bold Northern Face Says Shettima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by fkaz(m): 1:05pm On Jan 16, 2013
The World Bank has praised economic policies of the present administration declaring that it has led to slight reduction in the country’s poverty index from 48 to 46 percent.
Speaking when he visited President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday, World Bank’s vice president for Africa, Mr Mouktar Diop, said Nigeria’s economic indicators remained positive even times of recession.
He said “at the time when the economy is going down, we have seen that Nigeria has been keeping a growth rate which is rather significant. So, I was here to hear from the President’s priority and discuss other issues such as how poverty has been evolving in the country and what we can do to accelerate the reduction of poverty.
“Our work recently has shown that there is slight reduction in the level of poverty in Nigeria moving from 48 to 46 percent. The trend is good. It needs to be accelerated obviously. What we discussed are the policies that we can put in place to accelerate the pace of poverty reduction in Nigeria.”
Diop said the World Bank has decided to intervene in Nigeria’s energy crisis saying, “We decided at the World Bank to put up a task force which will include private sector branch to support the reform. It is good that the reform is really making progress. I was with the main players of the power sector today, and they were all happy with the reform process so far.”
On his part, Jonathan said though some of the reforms were not easy to push through, his administration would continue to do its best towards ensuring sustainable growth in the country.
“We will continue to do our best. We would have had more robust growth by now but for the global economic recession. With your continued support, we will certainly achieve more,” the president said.
Jonathan said that with the continued support of the World Bank, other international institutions and investors the Federal Government will achieve an even higher growth rate for the national economy.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/48572-world-bank-poverty-has-reduced-in-nigeria
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by phransix147(m): 1:22pm On Jan 16, 2013
Indeed!

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 16, 2013
Poverty is reducing and corruption is increasing.interesting theory. . .I love it more when Transparency International speaks.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by ayox2003: 1:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
Oh! This is good news. Unlike the bad news and data they keep throwing to our face.

The administration should do more. Not by buying phones for farmers but creating an insurance scheme for farmers, investing in agric research and programmes that would make farming attractive to youths. If they can strengthen the agric sector, poverty will reduce drastically.

Frawzey

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Parisgoodman(m): 1:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
If I say make I no comment now, e go be like say person do bad abi? anyway, more needs 2 be done!

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by moderatorr: 2:27pm On Jan 16, 2013
Lol
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 16, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Poverty is reducing and corruption is increasing.interesting theory. . .I love it more when Transparency International speaks.
Oh shut up . Where's your proof that corruption is "increasing"? No. Of course you have no proof. After all, insulting the leadership is free of charge with no need to prove anything. Mshewwww

7 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 16, 2013
from 48 to 46 percent abi? how did they arrive at the figures anyway? did they carry out a survey? wonders will continue to wonder in this country.

7 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
Where did you see him jubilating? Some of you are just sick in the head.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Itoroetti(m): 3:07pm On Jan 16, 2013
When I see people criticises jonathan,I laff.when I see obj talking negatively about jonathan,I smile.when I see people comparing jonathan's regime to that of Obj,I laff.but I always ask,apart frm ibb and abacha,have the been any other worst leader as obj?obj was in power for 8yrs and was able to achieve breakthrough only in the telecom fields.jonathan is just 2yrs in power,why not give him the time u gave obj and then at d end u compare to know who is better?

9 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by executinal(m): 3:17pm On Jan 16, 2013
World bank is very correct. Even here in Nairaland we are withness as you can see, every tom and jerry have access to Internet and BB tongue

13 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by REVOLUTNIS: 4:34pm On Jan 16, 2013
But not in the north, it is increasing there everyday

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by baby124: 4:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
It is easy to make up numbers in the comfort of a fully equipped AC room somewhere in the west. When most of the data you have access to, is provided by people perpetuating fraud in the Nigerian government.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
Lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
Are they sure? Or is this part of the agenda in the grand scheme of thing
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Dee60: 4:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
He probably made the statement after eating Isiewu in Aso Rock!

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by sniperwolf(m): 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
Economic growth + without education = Only God knows. We're gonna be doomed

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Wendyslim(f): 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
Which part of Nigeria be that Abeg? embarassed embarassed
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
e be like say dem come here see how people dey drive toyota camry anyhow?? world bank abeg all na packaging ooh!! porvety still dey ooh!

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by kokoye(m): 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
REVOLUTNIS: But not in the north, it is increasing there everyday

People are deliberately kept poor for a reason in the north. So they can be utilized as tools..boko haram?

Never trust a hungry/poor man. He can sell his soul for food.

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by y2kaustin(m): 4:48pm On Jan 16, 2013
ROSSIKE: Oh shut up . Where's your proof that corruption is "increasing"? No. Of course you have no proof. After all, insulting the leadership is free of charge with no need to prove anything. Mshewwww
...go deep your ugly face in poo,where you born today,not to know the position of Nigerian among corrupt nations?.I need to see your birth certificate right nowyou better scan it and sent it to my email.. angry angry

10 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by dsolo(m): 4:48pm On Jan 16, 2013
fkaz: The World Bank has praised economic policies of the present administration declaring that it has led to slight reduction in the country’s poverty index from 48 to 46 percent.
Speaking when he visited President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday, World Bank’s vice president for Africa, Mr Mouktar Diop, said Nigeria’s economic indicators remained positive even times of recession.
He said “at the time when the economy is going down, we have seen that Nigeria has been keeping a growth rate which is rather significant. So, I was here to hear from the President’s priority and discuss other issues such as how poverty has been evolving in the country and what we can do to accelerate the reduction of poverty.
“Our work recently has shown that there is slight reduction in the level of poverty in Nigeria moving from 48 to 46 percent. The trend is good. It needs to be accelerated obviously. What we discussed are the policies that we can put in place to accelerate the pace of poverty reduction in Nigeria.”
Diop said the World Bank has decided to intervene in Nigeria’s energy crisis saying, “We decided at the World Bank to put up a task force which will include private sector branch to support the reform. It is good that the reform is really making progress. I was with the main players of the power sector today, and they were all happy with the reform process so far.”
On his part, Jonathan said though some of the reforms were not easy to push through, his administration would continue to do its best towards ensuring sustainable growth in the country.
“We will continue to do our best. We would have had more robust growth by now but for the global economic recession. With your continued support, we will certainly achieve more,” the president said.
Jonathan said that with the continued support of the World Bank, other international institutions and investors the Federal Government will achieve an even higher growth rate for the national economy.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/48572-world-bank-poverty-has-reduced-in-nigeria

Opposite

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Joey82(m): 4:49pm On Jan 16, 2013
yep, poverty is reducing on paper.
but the indices do not translate to real life situation.
what with more people running outta jobs and the real sector still comatose.
this world bank guy'd better do proper research

4 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Havilah93(m): 4:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
until it puts food on the table of the common man daily

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by theripper: 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2013
World Bank don dey collect bribe again upon all the money for una storehouse? Abeg, we wey dey here dey tell una say Naija no b am at all.

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by etalker: 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2013
ROSSIKE: Oh shut up . Where's your proof that corruption is "increasing"? No. Of course you have no proof. After all, insulting the leadership is free of charge with no need to prove anything. Mshewwww

The same question applies to u. Where is the proof that poverty has reduced?

Please don't quote the "World Bank"

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by ocelot2006(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2013
berem: from 48 to 46 percent abi? how did they arrive at the figures anyway? did they carry out a survey? wonders will continue to wonder in this country.

It's the World Bank we're talking about. I'm pretty sure they performed their research quite well and thoroughly. Or would you have prefered to hear that poverty was on the increase?

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2013
Given the fact that most of the anti-Nigerian statistics being peddled around by opposition parties,and Nigerian haters are from the world bank,it is definitely true.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by mrhotcoin(m): 4:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
kokoye:

People are deliberately kept poor for a reason in the north. So they can be utilized as tools..boko haram?

Never trust a hungry/poor man. He can sell his soul for food.

u think so?
i never thought in that direction but i just realized u made some sense
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Ezyp(m): 4:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
Even if it was reduce frm 48 to 1%, §€un puppets wil stil hate
#apric8 progress
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
Watching...
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Intelcorei7: 4:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
fkaz: The World Bank has praised economic policies of the present administration declaring that it has led to slight reduction in the country’s poverty index from 48 to 46 percent.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obaseki’s Supreme Court Victory: Wait Till 2024, Idahosa Tells Edo APC / Nnamdi Kanu Is Dead Omote Biafra Breaks Down In Tears - VIDEO / Buhari: Nigeria Remains Most Attractive Investment Destination In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.