Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali (26145 Views)

Nigerian Female Soldier Heads To Mali (pic) / Nigerian Airforce Deploys 2 Supersonic Aircrafts To Mali / ECOWAS To Send 3,000 Troops To Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Rossikk(m): 4:39am On Jan 17, 2013
NIGERIAN WARPLANES HEAD TO MALI

Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal Alex Barde yesterday disclosed that the Nigerian Air force will today commence the deployment of Nigerian war planes to check the activities of Islamist fighters in Mali.

Barde who stated this in Enugu when he paid his maiden visit to Enugu Airforce Unit, added that the action was in compliance with President Goodluck Jonathan’s directive that a military contingent be sent to assist the country of Mali to contain the jihadists liked to terror group, Al Qaeda.

He said: “As I speak to you now,” he said, “our air planes have arrived in Port-Harcourt. In fact, I’m on my way to Rivers State now and tomorrow morning we are beginning our deployment to Mali and that’s what I am going to witness.

“I am going there to bid them a sort of farewell and go-and-fight-well greetings as they depart.

“We expect them to do what Mr. President directed that we do; he has directed that we should go and assist Mali in repelling the jihad fighters there because you know that if they finish with Mali the next thing will be to come to Nigeria.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/45287/2013/01/17/nigerian_air_force_begins_deployment_war_planes_mali_today.html

[img]http://1.bp..com/-XHfaZ9qK9FU/UFrEhlvBegI/AAAAAAAAJL0/kNgvgcEriAQ/s1600/airforce-jet-with-rockets.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=117583&d=1142557606[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/_3wZSwFvZzqM/S7-DKnEwqZI/AAAAAAAAGdA/KHCCb9Xa0SY/s1600/NAF-8007osa8lz.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-GBDkl4z0iS8/UCgNpaBiMrI/AAAAAAAABK4/nLv-NakwDLA/s1600/FT-7NI2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-tFJC1S2M1Bg/TYjm0rVDqNI/AAAAAAAAADE/rbNIel5RJHM/s1600/800px-Nigerian_F7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.planes.cz/photo/1066/1066720/c130h-naf913-nigerian-air-force-ngr-makurdi-mdi-dnmk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/07/2q082o0.jpg?w=597&h=420[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/06/alenia-atr42naf-930-and-albatros.jpg?w=640&h=434[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/06/super-puma.jpg?w=640[/img]

''The Nigerian Air Force have a long and proud history of operational deployment outside Nigeria dating back to the 1970s when Nigerian MiG 17 pilots and engineers were deployed to Angola by the regime of General Murtala Muhammed following the detailing/eventual transfer of a squadron of MiG 17s and the gift of US$20 million to the fledgling MPLA government of Dr Agostinho Neto, in January 1976. This followed swiftly on the heels of the delivery of MiG 21MF jets to the NAF in December 1975.

Thereafter, NAF C130 Hercules pilots during the 1970s and 1980s flew supply missions in support of liberation movements in Southern Africa, delivering materiel to Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique for onward distribution to African nationalist guerrillas in Namibia, South Africa and Rhodesia.

In April 1983, the Nigerian Air Force deployed MiG aircraft stationed at Borno in support of joint ground and air operations during the brief border conflict with Chad, operations in which then Air Officer Commanding Tactical Air Command, Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Alfa and the Commander Air Defence Wing, Wing Commander Ben Ekele, both of blessed memory, played decisive roles.

During the 1990-2000 epoch, the Nigerian Air Force deployed Alpha Jet, C130 Hercules and Puma/Super Puma airframes in support of ECOMOG operations during the Liberian and Sierra Leone civil wars.

During the decade of the 2000s, the NAF stationed Alpha Jet aircraft in Cote d’Ivoire at the request of the Gbagbo regime which had just taken power at that time(around 2002) while the NAF have within the past one year, also deployed helicopter crews to Darfur, Sudan''

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by naptu2: 4:56am On Jan 17, 2013
I pray they achieve success and wish them a safe return.

I miss the 1980s when we had Sepecat Jaguars, Alphas etc. We urgently need to reverse what Babangida/Obasanjo did to our airforce (to be fair to Obasanjo, it was meant to be a stop gap measure).

I passionately hate the Chengdu F7s. I really, really, really HATE them!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Rossikk(m): 4:59am On Jan 17, 2013
^^We still have the Alphas. Some were recently upgraded. The Chengdu 7 fighters will do a good job though. They're like upgraded MIG 21s.
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by musiwa11: 5:06am On Jan 17, 2013
you dont know they will blow up this plane, if any country want to fight nigeria. they are useless. peace have no solution..
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by musiwa11: 5:19am On Jan 17, 2013
i now understand the gist, i no get it before.. brain dey flow ..
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by naijaking1: 5:31am On Jan 17, 2013
No be the same plane way de use bomb Biafra
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by gunuvi(m): 5:48am On Jan 17, 2013
Which one is chengdu f7 wey una no like? Okay me sef no like changida G7

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by GAR3TH(m): 6:09am On Jan 17, 2013
Its pretty sad that we only have 4 Alpha jets remaining in service, I'm not a huge fan of the Chengdu F7. The Alphas and jaguars are better but they are since retired.

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by igbo2011(m): 6:57am On Jan 17, 2013
How much of these are manufactured in Africa? We need to make our own bombs, planes, weapons, drones, etc. We musn't rely on foreigners to supply us forever. WHat if World War III happens? If we are fighting America why would they give us weapons to fight them?

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by gst101: 6:58am On Jan 17, 2013
i personally think we deserve something better than the j-7s. F-16s and one or two f-22 isnt going to be too bad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Pacesetter2: 7:15am On Jan 17, 2013
igbo2011: How much of these are manufactured in Africa? We need to make our own bombs, planes, weapons, drones, etc. We musn't rely on foreigners to supply us forever. WHat if World War III happens? If we are fighting America why would they give us weapons to fight them?
You said it all...just pity the upcoming generation...looking at the way science & technology were been assisted in this country...you will think they would have built 50 of it or even build house in the sky..
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by gst101: 7:22am On Jan 17, 2013
why cant we start making our war planes here in nigeria. What does it take to maintain a war plane?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by etalker: 7:32am On Jan 17, 2013
I pray the Nigerian Army and the Ecomog really set there priorities straight, don't want what happened in Sudan should happen to them.

gst101: i personally think we deserve something better than the j-7s. F-16s and one or two f-22 isnt going to be too bad.

I still think the J-7s serves the purpose but the F-16s, mehn that plane is damn expensive
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by naptu2: 7:34am On Jan 17, 2013
naptu2: Nigeria Air Force ("made in Nigeria" ) Air Beetle.

In the late 1980s it was announced that the air force (in association with a private company) had built the first "made in Nigeria" plane. We were excited. Yeah, it's a propeller plane, but at least it's a start.

Then I found out that it's a kit plane.

https://www.nairaland.com/1062509/nigeria-good-bad-beautiful-ugly/32

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by seanet01: 8:46am On Jan 17, 2013
I dey laugh. Go fight South africa if you get mouth lol
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by igbo2011(m): 9:02am On Jan 17, 2013
naptu2:

https://www.nairaland.com/1062509/nigeria-good-bad-beautiful-ugly/32

I we were serious we would have the government heavily support the company so they can make the planes for us instead of foreigners. This was made in the 80s, if they were supported back then then right now we could have more other companies like that and even compete on a global stage. The government needs to do a better job with supporting Africans instead of supporting foreigners. Inferiority complex sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 17, 2013
Chei, Nigerian Molue head to Mali.

Hope no be the type wey kill Yakowa

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by MadCow1: 9:16am On Jan 17, 2013
Nice...

Atleast our Pilots will get some combat experience.. Although those French Mirages will outshine all these our ancient MIGs

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by smakati(m): 9:18am On Jan 17, 2013
So we have this much ammo and hardware yet we have not silenced boko haram......I say we bomb d hell out of them.....but wait o, how we go take separate innocent ppl frm bh wen we start bombing d north-->goes back to drawing board to strategise

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 17, 2013
WTF! is this Nigeria? when will they deploy those shits to the North. we've got Boko haram na

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by kundul: 9:21am On Jan 17, 2013
Abeg so we get dis typ of tins na him we allow all dis bokos dey do gragra 4 here? Dem 4 @ least use am lyk twice 4 dem mk dem c.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by segzicres(m): 9:23am On Jan 17, 2013
So naija doesn't hv 1 "apache. (•̩̩̩̩͡_•̩̩̩̩͡)
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Ozonna(m): 9:23am On Jan 17, 2013
I wish our fighters both air men and infantry men success as they send the Northern Malian Militants straight to HELL angry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by akatonero(m): 9:24am On Jan 17, 2013
Just pray the plane wnt crash before it get to Mali grin grin ;DSoo this kind plane dey since dey allow boko boys finish them? grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 17, 2013
igbo2011:

I we were serious we would have the government heavily support the company so they can make the planes for us instead of foreigners. This was made in the 80s, if they were supported back then then right now we could have more other companies like that and even compete on a global stage. The government needs to do a better job with supporting Africans instead of supporting foreigners. Inferiority complex sha.

What has this got to do with Nigerians sending troops to Mali for peace-keeping ?
Mad Cow: Nice...

Atleast our Pilots will get some combat experience.. Although those French Mirages will outshine all these our ancient MIGs

You can't fight all wars from the sky,you will need ground battle for maximum casualty to enemy forces and Nigerians are rugged when it comes to infantry.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Techwriter: 9:27am On Jan 17, 2013
Plz somebody educate me: is this a thread for "Armed Forces Remembrance Seminar" or about Nigeria assisting a neighboring country. Most comments I see here sound like people displaying their knowledge of Nigeria's weapons and military might. Please if una fail the NDA entrance exam, you can rewrite it who knows

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 17, 2013
smakati: So we have this much ammo and hardware yet we have not silenced boko haram......I say we bomb d hell out of them.....but wait o, how we go take separate innocent ppl frm bh wen we start bombing d north-->goes back to drawing board to strategise

You cannot declare total war on your citizens else you will draw international condemnation to yourself.Check syria for example
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by fittty(m): 9:29am On Jan 17, 2013
angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by ocelot2006(m): 9:32am On Jan 17, 2013
GAR3TH: Its pretty sad that we only have 4 Alpha jets remaining in service, I'm not a huge fan of the Chengdu F7. The Alphas and jaguars are better but they are since retired.

We have a full squadron+ of alpha jet still in service and stationed at 99th Weapons school, kianji, and PortHarcourt. However, only a few were upgraded to carry additional weapons pylons and avionics.

We have a full squadron+ of alpha jet still in service and stationed at 99th Weapons school, kianji, and PortHarcourt. However, only a few were upgraded to carry additional weapons pylons and avionics.
Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by esere826: 9:32am On Jan 17, 2013
Ok, go on and fight
but what's in it for Nigeria?
don't tell me that its simply to weaken Boko Haram (Libya provides a crucial link thanks to NATO)
dont tell me its simply to help our brother nation (remember South Africa's ingratitude)

After fighting Mali's war, we have to station our troops permanently there, and influence their government
We need to sell made in Nigeria Innoson cars to them; they need to buy our Chivita and Dangote juice;
our own glo telecom needs to be given government backed monopoly there
We need to ensure that the powers of their central bank stops being domiciled in France, but intstead is domiciled in one of our banks
The loot of their leaders must not go to Swiss or French banks. They should send their loot to Zenith bank

we need to ensure that we send our own university graduates as expatriates to construct roads in Mali
Our intellectuals need to be given consultancy work in their development agencies
The kids of their top shots need to school in our universities
the parents should be directed to our own Calaber for their resort

Their top shots need to made to buy holiday homes in Nigeria
Their young girls need to fall over for our men and get impregnated sharp sharp (as some of our ghirls fall over for oyibo)

Na so countries dey take rich
.....This is the way the West does it, and it is marvelous in my sight

54 Likes

Re: Nigerian Warplanes Head To Mali by Gladbaba(m): 9:36am On Jan 17, 2013
i pray for all nigerian soldiers dat are in peace keeping operations both in I.S nd E.S bcz is not easy to be a soldier,may almighty God guard nd protect them ooooo

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Senate Crisis: Saraki’s Loyalists Beg Buhari: The Nation / Buhari-Saraki Feud: APC Leaders Jittery, Fear Mass Defection- NewTelegraphOnline / Governor Nyesom Wike And His Aide Play Table Tennis (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.