Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Are There Catfish On Nairaland? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are There Catfish On Nairaland? (27710 Views)

What Do You Think? Catch Or Catfish? / Yourmain Is A Catfish!!!!!!! / How I Discovered This CATFISH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Go Down)

Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by mimifonwon(f): 4:59pm On Jan 17, 2013
So i was in naija recently, i have met some cool people here on nairaland, and some have emailed me, i just wanted friendship and someone to hang with when i got to nigeria.

So i met this guy ( will not name him cuz i really feel sorry for him, if he will go to such extent to be someone else, he was one of the contestant for mr.nairaland). Anyways i thought this guy was hot, ( na me be the mugu), it wasnt like i was trying to do him ( am a good girl, wasnt looking for that). Anyways this guy and i had been emailing and even skyped, but he always said he couldnt cam up, but always asked me to cam up.

I have to admit he was funny, handsome and was everything i liked in a guy, and he said he just graduated from uni in uk and relocated to naija for nysc. I was really taken away by his patriotic spirit, anyways, fast forward we had been chatting with eachother for 4 months until i got to naija. I gave him my number and invited him to come to my uncle's house where i was staying in lagos and he kept giving some excuses, i was getting angry,one time he said his car broke down and the other time he said he just got robbed on his way to meet me so he ended up not coming.

Anyways i offered to have someone come pick him up, but he said no, that his gateman lost the key to open the gate, so he has to wait for his sister who had the spare key to come back,i believed him( abi na me be mugu).

This guy man, was so kind in his words and reassuring that i just related everything to bad luck, but the day i was about to go to the east to visit my grandmother's village he calls and askes me if i would still be his friend if he wasnt so handsome and had all the money he claimed he had. I was like sure, why not, i didnt befriend you for your money, yes i was attracted to him, but it was his character and words that won me over.

Anyways he says i should come to oshodi and that he will meet me there, and so just curious i convinced my brother and my cousins to follow me there, when i finally met the guy, he was a meat seller, and yes he was a graduate, but i was amazed how well he fooled me, even his british accent he faked was good. He told me how much he liked me when he saw my picture and knew i wouldnt talk to him if he didnt play big boy.

I was shocked, but i forgave him, no he wasnt even cute, he was 37 year old guy, and short, nothing like the pictures he sent me, but yes i learned my lesson, and that is why i am done befriending people on nairaland, i dont like to be deceived. So if anyone has had similar deceitful experience- what we in america call catfish experience" please feel free to share.. Yes btw i know i was a big Fool X infinity to trust a guy i met online, talk of Nairaland.. I felt so useless...

i saw a documentary today and it was like dejavu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSvwAQxvBs

so does anyone have a catfish story?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 17, 2013
Wow! So are you still friends, since you forgave him?
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by EzePromoe: 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
Everyone don't bear the physique they ostentate here on NL. You maybe surprised if I tell you that Idowu is a beautiful lady in her early 20s, and a level 200 student but choose to appear faceless grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 17, 2013
Lol...this is just too funny. Pls, permit me to laugh! grin grin

I guess you learnt your lesson! He even contested mr nairalander?

Oh my! My ribs grin

5 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by geezyk(m): 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
Mehn!!! This your story is quite interesting,A meat seller?? grin that got me laughing..

But why do people lie in order to gain a girls trust,if u're not fine,once a gal likes you there's nothing no one,I repeat no one can do about it..
But still,that doesn't mean you shouldn't trust a guy you met on Nairaland... Atleast I'm an
[size=40pt]OSHODI[/size] boy,to d core..

Moral of the day,never put your trust on someone you've never seen before... But I advice you,I'm still available,we can make oshodi work for you cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by ifyalways(f): 2:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
Very funny.

The few nlders I've met are exactly what they present to be online, besides the clownish acts though.

Page would hit the homepage if you'll be kind enough to unmask him. tongue
Just wondering how the fella you met was able to combine meat selling and nlding?it takes active nlding to participate in nld beauty contests, no?

4 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Rooneyboy(m): 2:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
see this my long lost buddy ooo, I remember u vividly, we were very close sometime in November 'I guess', after a while I stopped hearing from u, "and wasn't bothered anyway" .

I'm surprised a meat seller won ur heart.

I remember wanting to give u a very good cousin of mine that just relocated to texas and u turned it down.
grin grin grin

How are u, hope u've gotten over the shock

2 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
there is a barrage of them on this site ma'am. of that i am very sure. Both male and female catfishes are swimming about! time to roll up those sleeves, stick your fists and their mouths and pull them out!! grin grin (See advice at the bottom!)

Classic examples of deception:
1)* stealing pictures 2) lying about their lifestyles 3) pretending to have a certain personality or "swag" that offline is not who they are (trolls, cyber bullies, "popular online =offline nobody"; etc).

Same as any other site really. As for me, i fall into the last category and im not afraid to admit it.

Kails' confession: offline i am not as outspoken to strangers. hehehehe. tongue

>>> *tumblr and instragram have both created a "kid in candy store" platform for people to steal identities online like crazy!! what i like to do and advise everyone to practice is to request that the person post a picture of themselves with a handwritten sign of their usernames.

The reactions are priceless!

"you don't have to believe me. that's me! i know the truth! But i'm not going to do it because i don't have to!" grin grin grin grin if you get a reaction like that, keep it moving.. tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 18, 2013
*Kails*:
there is a barrage of them on this site ma'am. of that i am very sure. Both male and female catfishes are swimming about! time to roll up those sleeves, stick your fists and their mouths and pull them out!! grin grin (See advice at the bottom!)

Classic examples of deception:
1)* stealing pictures 2) lying about their lifestyles 3) pretending to have a certain personality or "swag" that offline is not who they are (trolls, cyber bullies, "popular online =offline nobody"; etc).

Same as any other site really. As for me, i fall into the last category and im not afraid to admit it.

Kails' confession: offline i am not as outspoken to strangers. hehehehe. tongue

>>> *tumblr and instragram have both created a "kid in candy store" platform for people to steal identities online like crazy!! what i like to do and advise everyone to practice is to request that the person post a picture of themselves with a handwritten sign of their usernames.

The reactions are priceless!

"you don't have to believe me. that's me! i know the truth! But i'm not going to do it because i don't have to!" grin grin grin grin if you get a reaction like that, keep it moving.. tongue

Interesting! cheesy

I once had this cat fish that only describe the good part of him....tall, clean skin, pointed nose etc.

We talked on phone for almost 2 months but never saw each other cos we stayed in different city. When I finually went back to my city for school, I had to ask him to meet me in my faculty.

He arrived and he was everything he said about himself and much more. My friend excused us and was standing around the corner. He was just smiling at me, with the look of he really fancied what he saw.

Anyway, we got talking, I was doing most of the talking then I crack a joke that made him explode with laughter. He laughed so hard that I noticed that, there were plenty teeth in his mouth.

It was then very obvious that maybe all his teeth carried a twin grin

Forgive me! Lmao...

He also had a very noticeable bow leg that could strangle someone without using his hands.

Anyway, the little love I had grown disappeared.

After that he left promising that he was gonna call that evening, but just as I joined my friend, you know what she said?

Wow! That guy mouth na shark o!

I didn't know if to laugh or ......but I can tell you that was the end of my catfish story!

cheesy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 18, 2013
Hahaha!!!
This is a proof of ur love...oya'. Go meet your meat seller.lol

pls catfishes in nairaland, stay away.

1 Like

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by mimifonwon(f): 5:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
Rooneyboy: see this my long lost buddy ooo, I remember u vividly, we were very close sometime in November 'I guess', after a while I stopped hearing from u, "and wasn't bothered anyway" .

I'm surprised a meat seller won ur heart.

I remember wanting to give u a very good cousin of mine that just relocated to texas and u turned it down.
grin grin grin

How are u, hope u've gotten over the shock

lol i was not looking for a boyfriend, just a friend to hang with in naija when am home other than my relatives, but your cousin is in the usa, and i dont think he would be my type anyways if i wanted to date, i like mature men, not old or too young, but thanks for the offer, and rooney it takes two way communication and patience to make any friendhip work, and i dont like being the only one making contact, its not lady like.. i hope you had a great new year... smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Rooneyboy(m): 6:01pm On Jan 18, 2013
mimifonwon:

but your cousin is in the usa, and i dont think he would be my type anyways if i wanted to date, i like mature men, not old or too young,

there she goes again, infact lemme tell u the truth dear , he wld hv swept u off ur feet had it been u agreed then.
Deep down inside of me I was happy u rejected the "friendship offer, " lol

Truthfully u might hv ended up being heart broken, With tons of ladies that flock around him daily and u not being able hold him down as a "friend". .

A 6"2 tall Naija model not being your type

Give me a break.

So how are u coping with ur new buddy ?

2 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by mimifonwon(f): 6:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
Rooneyboy:

there she goes again, infact lemme tell u the truth dear , he wld hv swept u off ur feet had it been u agreed then.
Deep down inside of me I was happy u rejected the "friendship offer, " lol

Truthfully u might hv ended up being heart broken, With tons of ladies that flock around him daily and u not being able hold him down as a "friend". .

A 6"2 tall Naija model not being your type

Give me a break.
So how are u coping with ur new buddy ?

i dont keep close friendship with people who lie to me at first, but i told him if he is ever in the usa, hit me up and i will show him around..lol. But jokes aside i pray he gets his life together. oh your cousin being 6'2 and a model dont mean nothing to me, am sure his full of himself. The truth is i dont go for pretty-model type boys, because they are narcissistic, and not trustworthy( maybe your cousin is,idk) and they have a tendency to flow between streams, plus i dont like to share. i dont get my heart broken, cuz i haven not fallen for anyone in such manner before and i doubt your cousin will my heart go kedike. am sure his a nice guy, but as they see beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for me, it goes past looks, but into character and morals. but like i said before thanks for considering me, but i would have to decline the offer.smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Rooneyboy(m): 8:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
oh your cousin being 6'2 and a model dont mean nothing to me, am sure his full of himself. The truth is i dont go for pretty-model type boys, because they are narcissistic, and not trustworthy( maybe your cousin is,idk) and they have a tendency to flow between streams, plus i dont like to share.

My point exactly , his aint just streams but oceans, lol , he has it so easy with ladies and gets on with his life as soon as he's done eating the "catfish in between ur legs "

i dont get my heart broken, cuz i haven not fallen for anyone in such manner before and i doubt your cousin will my heart go kedike.

I would just assume u are high on something for u to have typed this crap......
Someone that has had his way on a couple of celebs and............
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by mimifonwon(f): 8:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
Rooneyboy:

oh your cousin being 6'2 and a model dont mean nothing to me, am sure his full of himself. The truth is i dont go for pretty-model type boys, because they are narcissistic, and not trustworthy( maybe your cousin is,idk) and they have a tendency to flow between streams, plus i dont like to share.

My point exactly , his aint just streams but oceans, lol , he has it so easy with ladies and gets on with his life as soon as he's done eating the "catfish in between ur legs "

i dont get my heart broken, cuz i haven not fallen for anyone in such manner before and i doubt your cousin will my heart go kedike.

I would just assume u are high on something for u to have typed this crap......
Someone that has had his way on a couple of celebs and............

those celebs must be ashawos, and without morals. and my dear dont ever compare me to any celeb, its an insult to me. and its sad you agreed you cousin travels between streams cuz what it means is that he bleeps what ever he sees, man or woman( hopely he travels down stream more than up stream smiley). no vex, na my opinion i dey yarn.
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:29pm On Jan 18, 2013
mimifonwon:

those celebs must be ashawos, and without morals. and my dear dont ever compare me to any celeb, its an insult to me.

I'm sorry dear, wasn't comparing u to nobody, was just trying to make my point clear.

and its sad you agreed you cousin travels between streams cuz what it means is that he bleeps what ever he sees, man or woman( hopely he travels down stream more than up stream smiley). no vex, na my opinion i dey yarn.

I'm glad u said it was ur own opinion, what I meant actually was that he's got tons of ladies @ his beck and call.

If u still see urself to be the female James Bond "that has got no blood flowing through her veins" y don't u consider him being a friend while I watch as things unfold .

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by mimifonwon(f): 11:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
Rooneyboy:

lol then tell him to hit me up, its good to have friends, u have my email...smiley ttylr
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by tpia5: 12:41am On Jan 19, 2013
oro yi kolori ko nidi.

you're saying you met someone on nl who turned out to be a meat seller?

then what time does he browse here.

have you thought you're being played like a banjo?

anyway, gbogbo yin e ku networking.

4 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 19, 2013
mimifonwon: So i was in naija recently, i have met some cool people here on nairaland, and some have emailed me, i just wanted friendship and someone to hang with when i got to nigeria. So i met this guy ( will not name him cuz i really feel sorry for him, if he will go to such extent to be someone else, he was one of the contestant for mr.nairaland). Anyways i thought this guy was hot, ( na me be the mugu), it wasnt like i was trying to do him ( am a good girl, wasnt looking for that). Anyways this guy and i had been emailing and even skyped, but he always said he couldnt cam up, but always asked me to cam up. I have to admit he was funny, handsome and was everything i liked in a guy, and he said he just graduated from uni in uk and relocated to naija for nysc. I was really taken away by his patriotic spirit, anyways, fast forward we had been chatting with eachother for 4 months until i got to naija. I gave him my number and invited him to come to my uncle's house where i was staying in lagos and he kept giving some excuses, i was getting angry,one time he said his car broke down and the other time he said he just got robbed on his way to meet me so he ended up not coming. Anyways i offered to have someone come pick him up, but he said no, that his gateman lost the key to open the gate, so he has to wait for his sister who had the spare key to come back,i believed him( abi na me be mugu). This guy man, was so kind in his words and reassuring that i just related everything to bad luck, but the day i was about to go to the east to visit my grandmother's village he calls and askes me if i would still be his friend if he wasnt so handsome and had all the money he claimed he had. I was like sure, why not, i didnt befriend you for your money, yes i was attracted to him, but it was his character and words that won me over. Anyways he says i should come to oshodi and that he will meet me there, and so just curious i convinced my brother and my cousins to follow me there, when i finally met the guy, he was a meat seller, and yes he was a graduate, but i was amazed how well he fooled me, even his british accent he faked was good. He told me how much he liked me when he saw my picture and knew i wouldnt talk to him if he didnt play big boy. I was shocked, but i forgave him, no he wasnt even cute, he was 37 year old guy, and short, nothing like the pictures he sent me, but yes i learned my lesson, and that is why i am done befriending people on nairaland, i dont like to be deceived. So if anyone has had similar deceitful experience- what we in america call catfish experience" please feel free to share.. Yes btw i know i was a big Fool X infinity to trust a guy i met online, talk of Nairaland.. I felt so useless...

i saw a documentary today and it was like dejavu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSvwAQxvBs
so does anyone have a catfish story?

Moderators forntpage frontpage frontpage.

As for me why would I wanna meet a guy offline esp nairaland of all places. Been here since 2006 or 07 never attempted such and never will.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by JMystique(m): 9:23am On Jan 19, 2013
Hahahahahahahahahaha,I aff die oooo,british accent ni american accent ko...naija boys won badt gaan,I respect d effort ds guys put in to be fake honestly.So whose pictures has he bn sending na...make I laff again joor hahahahahahahahaha,abeg shame shame and name names joor.
3rd 2 comment by d way
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by 2legit2qwt: 9:46am On Jan 19, 2013
Vikin:

He also had a very noticeable bow leg that could strangle someone without using his hands.

After that he left promising that he was gonna call that evening, but just as I joined my friend, you know what she said?

I didn't know if to laugh or ......but I can tell you that was the end of my catfish story!

cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy You could have given him a chance now, wasn't he good looking enough to make you overlook everything else? grin
@mimifonwon
Let me guess the mr nl guy was luc or something like that lipsrsealed Hahaha

The female nlers are probably worse tongue

3 Likes

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Jan 19, 2013
LMAO grin grin grin...this is some funny sh1t.

Don't be fooled. This is the World Wide Web where anybody can be anything and even more. People are not what they appear to be.

@OP
How are we sure you came back from the US and not Cotonou grin?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by achi4u(m): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2013
hahahahagringrin
If you can believe most of ppl in nl with their mouth and pictures den you can believe anything even naija movies.

@mimi did you met the guy selling meat at d mkt or he just told you what he is doing for a living..because as boastful as he is__I didnt agree he is the one who told you dat he's a meat seller.

You find out yourself?

1 Like

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by slimyem: 1:54pm On Jan 19, 2013
lol.
There are real and great personalities here..same way there are fake people and psychos too.
Never met a NLer but have met a few good people from www who are exactly who they claimed to be and I have formed great friendships with them.
Never had the "catfish experience" and don't think i ever will.
I guess i'm a good judge of personalities smiley and i'm usually not in haste to meet anyone offline.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by OmolodMilkman93(m): 1:55pm On Jan 19, 2013
Story story
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by ITbomb(m): 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2013
I'm different
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 19, 2013
Vikin:

Interesting! cheesy

I once had this cat fish that only describe the good part of him....tall, clean skin, pointed nose etc.

We talked on phone for almost 2 months but never saw each other cos we stayed in different city. When I finually went back to my city for school, I had to ask him to meet me in my faculty.

He arrived and he was everything he said about himself and much more. My friend excused us and was standing around the corner. He was just smiling at me, with the look of he really fancied what he saw.

Anyway, we got talking, I was doing most of the talking then I crack a joke that made him explode with laughter. He laughed so hard that I noticed that, there were plenty teeth in his mouth.

It was then very obvious that maybe all his teeth carried a twin grin

Forgive me! Lmao...

cheesy

lmao!! dang that's messed up.
"bow legged shark man" grin grin grin grin
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by Dyt(f): 2:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
ifyalways: Very funny.

The few nlders I've met are exactly what they present to be online, besides the clownish acts though.

Page would hit the homepage if you'll be kind enough to unmask him. tongue
Just wondering how the fella you met was able to combine meat selling and nlding?it takes active nlding to participate in nld beauty contests, no?

Dat got me crackin
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by JideTheBlogger(m): 2:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hahahaha...thank God your eyes don clear
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by lekkie073(m): 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
anywayssss, anywayssssss, anywayssssssssss.....na so so anywaysssss full dis write-up. anyways, thanks gods u forgives the guyssssss
Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by ssainty(m): 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
achi4u: hahahahagringrin If you can believe most of ppl in nl with their mouth and pictures den you can believe anything even naija movies. @mimi did you met the guy selling meat at d mkt or he just told you what he is doing for a living..because as boastful as he is__I didnt agree he is the one who told you dat he's a meat seller. You find out yourself?

oga must u comment?see as u dey spoil english language.mayb u 4 try b like me........
kai....NLander

1 Like

Re: Are There Catfish On Nairaland? by freecocoa(f): 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hope say no be Lalaosky o?grin

Oboy NL no go kill person o.

I know many people who pm me but get no replies will conclude me a snub but I know what I'm avoiding, most of the people here are very fake.

Well, I happen to have met a few nairalanders and have no regrets so far, you just have to be very careful on here.

OP your story funny sha grin grin grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21)

5 Things To Do For You To Know If He Deserves You Or Not - Bamisepeter's Blog / Can One Be In Love With Two People At The Same Time? / Tenants, Please Share Your Experiences With Your Landlords And Landladies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.