Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Stop Calling Benin City Acient! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Calling Benin City Acient! (2991 Views)

Stop Calling Buhari 'baba Go Slow' Dickson Warns / We Should Stop Calling Our President A Dullard / Biafra Is An Acient Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 01, 2008
I make a public appeal to everyone. Stop calling Benin, ACIENT! It sucks when you do because its acting upon the mentality on most of Bini People. It creates a psychology that obstructs my cities development. its the GREAT City of Benin, not Acient.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 01, 2008
What is Acient ??
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by oldie(m): 6:18pm On Mar 01, 2008
babaearly:

I make a public appeal to everyone. Stop calling Benin, ACIENT! It sucks when you do because its acting upon the mentality on most of Bini People. It creates a psychology that obstructs my cities development. its the GREAT City of Benin, not Acient.

The real people who are obstructing Benin's development are the political leaders
What did Igbinedion achieve in eight years?
Absolutely nothing.

The word "Ancient" should have been complimentary in different climes sad
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2008
thresa8:

Benin city the bad image of Edo state. lipsrsealed
i guess u r esan. u forget the numerous evils that happen in esanland.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 01, 2008
oldie:

The real people who are obstructing Benin's development are the political leaders
What did Igbinedion achieve in eight years?
Absolutely nothing.

The word "Ancient" should have been complimentary in different climes sad

the thing is that the 'acient' thing has made lot of bini youths lost track and most of the old men dull that is wy lucky was there eating us for so long because he was smart.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 01, 2008
ok
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by halimababe: 10:27pm On Mar 01, 2008
have you visited Benin recently? that town is really acient. no development in the past 8 yrs of democractic rule. what did unlucky igbenedion do for the state. pl lets face reality, there are no good roads in the state, no companies, no development. with the federal allocation we receive things ought to be better. shame on the past governors and prsent one who did nothing and his doing nothing. until something starts happening benin city is an acient city.

halima
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 01, 2008
the ancient city of benin!
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by brownbonno(m): 10:02am On Mar 02, 2008
babaearly ,

What is your issue with the Esan people?
What are the recorded evil you want the world to know?
I can;t understand why people are still entangled with shankles of this ancientism?You are calling for emacipation but you still fighting a hiden agenda.
Wake up my brother,you need some courses.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by edobabe(f): 4:06pm On Mar 02, 2008
this topic is so silly.@brownbonno,you dey mind this guy,aberg ohhhh, na Bini  people they embarrassed us ,let us all better our State,.nobody cares who is Bini, Esan,Etsako, ORA,OR AKOKO-EDO.even Ekpoma is cleaner than this so called acient city.@halimababe,na true you talk.@ babaeary ,there are so many things to worried about .whatever has happen, has happen, in all, i pray for progress.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by almondjoy(f): 4:47pm On Mar 02, 2008
Like Benin-City is more ancient than 99% of other areas in Nigeria including Abuja? 

Oh Puleeese!

Travel to other areas in Nigeria in the North, East, West and South and you will be shocked what you can find.

I had the misfortune of going to attend a chieftancy title gig with ma parents in one place in Delta State about 2 months ago.  Very swampy area--Come see road?  If anyone had told me such a place existed in present day Nigeria 2008, I would have vehemently denied it.  If was brought to my knowleged that during the raining season, you can only get in and out on foot.  Nobody leaves and no body enters that area. This is a very rich oil producing area if a may add.

So please check other parts of Nigeria for seasoned ancientness. 

NO PLACE IN NIGERIA QUALIFIES TO BE CALLED A CITY. . . . . .even by the lowest standards world wide!
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by brownbonno(m): 5:09pm On Mar 02, 2008
@edobabe,
That guy get issue,a proverb in Esanland says"a bad yam na dey bring himself out 4 inside pounded yam".I am sure he is one of those guys that lost themselves in the sahara desert in a bid to cross over to europe,he is cut out of the real world.
It will be immature and unreasonable to blames the woes in Benin on the esanland.
Everycorner 4 benin Juju full am,where development wo pass enter the city.
B4 he blame anybody,the OP should go and remove all the Juju first and let see if development no wo enter the town.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by edobabe(f): 5:29pm On Mar 02, 2008
@brownbonno, you miss my point, remember will only have one state juju is an African tradition,they are every where in Nigeria,some called it shrine,some it called voodoos. stop the fight,we are all from this same sate. the topic is still silly.let stop embarrassing ourselves on a public forum.enough already.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by brownbonno(m): 5:40pm On Mar 02, 2008
Good talk,i sincerely respect ur opinion and advise.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Ibime(m): 9:04am On Mar 03, 2008
Man - the last time I went to Benin, the place was bleeped up - but no less bleeped up than Onitsha and Aba.

BTW, the reference to Ancient Benin is not a diss - it is said in respect of Benin's cultural heritage. Benin City existed long before Naija and it will still be here long after Naija is gone.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 03, 2008
you're barking up the wrong tree

its MTN, Glo and celtel that refer to benin, kano, ibadan etal as ancient
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by yimiton(f): 1:50pm On Mar 03, 2008
Benin is not only ANCIENT, it's old, underdeveloped, dirty, totally *roadless* and annoyingly smelly!
This is as a result of our bad governance. It has nothing to do with it being *ancient*. The fact that it ancient is suppose to be a compliment, like one of the cities that got civilized on time, remember the great bini Massacre at the time of Oba Overanwen *guess I got the spelling wrong, sorry* That was suppose to be the Ancient beautiful Benin, remember the tusks and other beautiful treasures stolen from Benin by the british? That was suppose to be the ancient beautiful Land of Benin. Remember the Great Bini empire that emcompassed a lot of yoruba lands of today. . . . .

Being ancient and beautiful has very lovely qualities but being old, corrupt, greedy no glutony, unfeeling for your fellow men is another story entirely.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 03, 2008
yimiton:

Benin is not only ANCIENT, it's old, underdeveloped, dirty, totally *roadless* and annoyingly smelly!
This is as a result of our bad governance. It has nothing to do with it being *ancient*. The fact that it ancient is suppose to be a compliment, like one of the cities that got civilized on time, remember the great bini Massacre at the time of Oba Overanwen *guess I got the spelling wrong, sorry* That was suppose to be the Ancient beautiful Benin, remember the tusks and other beautiful treasures stolen from Benin by the british? That was suppose to be the ancient beautiful Land of Benin. Remember the Great Bini empire that emcompassed a lot of yoruba lands of today. . . . .

Being ancient and beautiful has very lovely qualities but being old, corrupt, greedy no glutony, unfeeling for your fellow men is another story entirely.

dont know why bini people embraced this acient thingy sef? i guess bini wasnt the first city to be created in Nigeria. Acient to me means old and archaic, reminds me of the stone age. even back then Benin was one of the cradles of civilization,very good in the arts. Being classified as acient to me and maybe some other Edo youths mean old, backwards, negative, underdevelopment.The title is like a curse. We should stop referring to Benin as Acient first of all lets see what changes might take place.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 03, 2008
brownbonno:

babaearly ,

What is your issue with the Esan people?
What are the recorded evil you want the world to know?
I can;t understand why people are still entangled with shankles of this ancientism?You are calling for emacipation but you still fighting a hiden agenda.
Wake up my brother,you need some courses.

Sorry if i hurt you. Theres no hidden agenda. Evil happens everywhere including your land, Bini not exempted too. You talking about Juju, now you judging! what would you talk about your tribe? I dont need an answer because i aint putting up a tribe war here. I'm sorry for that statement but i'm afraid its my opinion.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by buzzgonz(m): 10:42am On Mar 04, 2008
Great Acient Benin Kingdom!!! cool
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by steaming(f): 12:50pm On May 27, 2010
^^^^^^^^
Guy, na wa 4 u o!, u no c say Poster dey vexxxxxxxxx? grin
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by johnie: 1:53pm On May 27, 2010
almondjoy:

NO PLACE IN NIGERIA QUALIFIES TO BE CALLED A CITY. . . . . .even by the lowest standards world wide!

shocked shocked shocked embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by strangleyo: 12:06am On May 28, 2010
almondjoy:

Like Benin-City is more ancient than 99% of other areas in Nigeria including Abuja? 

Oh Puleeese!

Travel to other areas in Nigeria in the North, East, West and South and you will be shocked what you can find.

I had the misfortune of going to attend a chieftancy title gig with ma parents in one place in Delta State about 2 months ago.  Very swampy area--Come see road?  If anyone had told me such a place existed in present day Nigeria 2008, I would have vehemently denied it.  If was brought to my knowleged that during the raining season, you can only get in and out on foot.  Nobody leaves and no body enters that area. This is a very rich oil producing area if a may add.

So please check other parts of Nigeria for seasoned ancientness. 

Unfortunately, you are quite right. The majority of Nigerian metropolitan areas are simply large agglomerations of people placed into an area, there is no actual planning.

These densely populated areas are nothing but human fungi, the sort you see growing on a tree stump, or on a moldy sandwich.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by skfa1: 12:16am On May 28, 2010
I think the whole states in Nigeria needs changes, there are some other states that is worst than Benin. Talk about oyo state where the town planing is soooo worse, imagine mud house backyard facing front of another mud house, no proper toilet and all soughts of dirty gutters.

One word, the whole Nigeria needs change.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Beaf: 12:21am On May 28, 2010
babaearly:

[size=27pt]Ancient City of Benin! Capital of the ancient Bini empire![/size]
Now let dust gather in ya brain. grin grin grin grin
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by udezue(m): 1:02am On May 28, 2010
Whats the big deal?
Arochukwu is called ancient city and its not a diss or anything bad. These are historical cities older than Nigeria.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by PapaBrowne(m): 1:06am On May 28, 2010
Benin might have very bad infrastructure due to bad Governance over the last eight years, but interestingly Benin is actually the Fourth richest city in Nigeria in terms of economic size. It has a larger economy than every other city in Nigeria except Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja. It is larger than Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan and all the other seemingly large cities.

Benin has the highest number of banks per city outside Lagos.
Benin Airport has become the fourth busiest Airport in the country after Lagos,Abuja and Port Harcourt.
A lot of interesting other statistics reveal Benin as a very unique economy as it doesn't have the Federal Support the other three large cities possess.
For instance, Lagos is what it is because it's been a capital before. Port Harcourt is what it is because of oil. Abuja of course is an FG project.

What actually drives the Benin economy is the inflow of remittances from Benins in Diaspora. The amount is huge. They probably scoop up maybe 30% of all the $10 billion remittances flowing to Nigeria yearly. That is $3 billion dollars for just one city. Much more than what all states recieve in Federal Allocation.

So the logic is, don't underestimate Benin! It is a better place to do Business than most other Nigerian cities less poor infrastructure and insecurity.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by ogajim(m): 3:10am On May 28, 2010
babaearly, you don start again ooooo, kilo she bobo ye papa!

I thought the Ishans own Benin, no mind me ooo upper lawani/sakponba and all grin grin

Benin and Ishan, who do juju pass? esoro fun wa!
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 6:05am On May 28, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Benin might have very bad infrastructure due to bad Governance over the last eight years, but interestingly Benin is actually the Fourth richest city in Nigeria in terms of economic size. It has a larger economy than every other city in Nigeria except Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja. It is larger than Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan and all the other seemingly large cities.

Benin Airport has become the fourth busiest Airport in the country after Lagos,Abuja and Port Harcourt.
A lot of interesting other statistics reveal Benin as a very unique economy as it doesn't have the Federal Support the other three large cities possess.
For instance, Lagos is what it is because it's been a capital before. Port Harcourt is what it is because of oil. Abuja of course is an FG project.

What actually drives the Benin economy is the inflow of remittances from Benins in Diaspora. The amount is huge. They probably scoop up maybe 30% of all the $10 billion remittances flowing to Nigeria yearly. That is $3 billion dollars for just one city. Much more than what all states recieve in Federal Allocation.

So the logic is, don't underestimate Benin! It is a better place to do Business than most other Nigerian cities less poor infrastructure and insecurity.
You must really be high when you writing this sh-it.
-you claimed benin is the fourth largest economy in nigeria.please,i need more clarification on that because benin has no industries except those dilapidated brewries,flour mills and quarries.
-you also claimed that there are more banks in benin but let me inform you that ascertion is wrong because benin city itself comprises of three local government :ikpoba oka,oredo and egor and the only developed one is oredo because it harbours the metropolis;and that is where all the banks in benin are situated.
-the repatriated money are not invested into the economy instead it goes to private purse.so what is all this hype about benin afterall we know what is going on there if not for Adams oshiomole that is changing the course of things there.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by paddylo1(m): 7:44am On May 28, 2010
the repatriated money are not invested into the economy instead it goes to private purse

what the eff does that mean. . .so it goes and dies in the purse?. . .lol u are funny

any such remittances will surely reflect positively on benin citys economy
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Godalone(m): 7:49am On May 28, 2010
PapaBrowne:

I do not agree with you,please can you give more clarification? I doubt if you have ever visited any of the three bolded cities above.I have been to Benin and the three cities.
Re: Stop Calling Benin City Acient! by Nobody: 8:09am On May 28, 2010
paddy_lo:

what the eff does that mean. . .so it goes and dies in the purse?. . .lol u are funny

any such remittances will surely reflect positively on benin citys economy

i'm baffled at such revelation even when we dont know its source

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Village Square Hacked! / Gej Didn't Sack Ifueko Omoigui-okauru / Who Is The Most Powerful Man In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.