Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" (2097 Views)

An Average Igbo Man Is Rugged, Tough, Heartless, Wicked And Sad.. / How Do People Actually 'Hold' The Rain? / Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by ibiso1986: 10:19am On Jan 19, 2013
Why do people from outside rivers state know the ikwerris as being heartless and wicked
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by ibiso1986: 10:40am On Jan 19, 2013
i recently went to benin city.. I happen to chat with a taxi driver.. When i told him i was from rivers state, he was stunned and asked which tribe in rivers state.. I told him i was from the riverine part.. He then told me that ikwerri people are very heartless and very wicked.. And not only in benin, so many people outside rivers state think that way so.. Whats your view fellows
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Afam4eva(m): 10:44am On Jan 19, 2013
This is a common thought of non-ikwerre people especially those who live in PH. It's mostly predicated on the fact that according to a lot of people, Ikwerre people can look for trouble and they fight a lot. You can have a small disagreement with an Ikwerre person and the next thing he does is to enter his kitchen to get a knife. I've experienced this too cos i've lived in Ikwerreland. Though i don't know if this behavior is only limited to just Ikwerres.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Abagworo(m): 11:15am On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva: This is a common thought of non-ikwerre people especially those who live in PH. It's mostly predicated on the fact that according to a lot of people, Ikwerre people can look for trouble and they fight a lot. You can have a small disagreement with an Ikwerre person and the next thing he does is to enter his kitchen to get a knife. I've experienced this too cos i've lived in Ikwerreland. Though i don't know if this behavior is only limited to just Ikwerres.

1st of all Ikwerri is a diverse group. The part in Port Harcourt which suffered from overwhelming urbanization developed indigene/settler syndrome similar to "Omonile"s of Lagos. They believe they can assert authority as the true natives by hostility. It has however reduced drastically since Amaechi became Governor.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Afam4eva(m): 11:22am On Jan 19, 2013
Abagworo:

1st of all Ikwerri is a diverse group. The part in Port Harcourt which suffered from overwhelming urbanization developed indigene/settler syndrome similar to "Omonile"s of Lagos. They believe they can assert authority as the true natives by hostility. It has however reduced drastically since Amaechi became Governor.
I'm not even talking about the whole "omonile ish" but about personal fights with Ikwerre people. I don't know if all of that are like that. I'm referring to the ones aroung Runukrushi, Elimgbu, Rumudara etc.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by ibiso1986: 11:50am On Jan 19, 2013
@ afam,, I think its limited to just the ikwerris.. The riverine are more refined and educated (okrika/kalabari/bonny/opobo) cos of the exposure of the british colonial masters centuries ago.. Most visitors that come to ph town assume everybody is from ikwerri and all rivers people are heartless.. That's totally false.. There are still countless tribes in rivers state
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Afam4eva(m): 11:55am On Jan 19, 2013
ibiso1986: @ afam,, I think its limited to just the ikwerris.. The riverine are more refined and educated (okrika/kalabari/bonny/opobo) cos of the exposure of the british colonial masters centuries ago.. Most visitors that come to ph town assume everybody is from ikwerri and all rivers people are heartless.. That's totally false.. There are still countless tribes in rivers state
There's really no way i can ascertain that the riverine people don't behave like that because they're too refined in your opinion because i've never lived in their village. The only reason why the complaint of Ikwerre people is more pronounced is just because a lot of people in Port-Hacourt live in Ikwerre land and experience these things first hand. An Ikwerre person that lives in Lagos for example or else where won't possess the same attribute, so to some extent, it's limited to those who live in rural areas.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by AndreUweh(m): 1:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ikwerre people are not wicked people, at least I married one of them. Misinformation is the in thing here. During and after the civil war, houses originally built by Ndigbo were seized by the Ijaw led Rivers state. Most of these houses are located in Port Harcourt. Since Ikwerres own majority of Port Harcourt, people tend to think that they are wicked and stole the houses of their Igbo kins.
Even the seized houses were not handed to the Ikwerres but to Ijaws.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by pazienza(m): 5:14pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ikwerre's alledged wickedness is now lengendary. There is now a new igbo word that have being coined by younger igbo generation to reflect this. For example: "ibu onye obio-akpor". Meaning: you are a wicked person. Example2: "ona eburu m akpor". Meaning: he wishes ill of me. These sentences are commonly used here in aba,and every young person,understands the meaning.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by pazienza(m): 5:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
It is akin to the believe that mbaise are the most cunning clan in igboland,so much as,you are better off living with a snake than with an mbaise person. "If an mbaise and a snake enter you house,kill an mbaise first; as he is more dangerous". All these are just misconceptions,they have no truth in them.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Afam4eva(m): 5:21pm On Jan 19, 2013
pazienza: It is akin to the believe that mbaise are the most cunning clan in igboland,so much as,you are better off living with a snake than with an mbaise person. "If an mbaise and a snake enter you house,kill an mbaise first; as he is more dangerous". All these are just misconceptions,they have no truth in them.
While they may not be the truest representation of Ndi Ikwerre, i have lived in Ikwerre land and i know better.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by pazienza(m): 5:34pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
While they may not be the truest representation of Ndi Ikwerre, i have lived in Ikwerre land and i know better.
well,thats your experience. I have spent some time in ikwerreland too,when my cousin was in uniport,i visited him at where he stayed then,i think the name of that ikwerre villa was rumualo or something like that,his landlord and the wife are the most kind hearted people i have ever seen,and they are indigenes of that place. People differ,it's bad to lump people together and label them.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Afam4eva(m): 5:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
pazienza: well,thats your experience. I have spent some time in ikwerreland too,when my cousin was in uniport,i visited him at where he stayed then,i think the name of that ikwerre villa was rumualo or something like that,his landlord and the wife are the most kind hearted people i have ever seen,and they are indigenes of that place. People differ,it's bad to lump people together and label them.

Ikwerres are kind hearted people. No one is disputing that and i don't agree with the OPs postulations. I'm just saying that the Ikwerre people i lived with can enter kitchen and bring out knife at the slightest provocation.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by EzePromoe: 5:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
Laughing in Ikwerre and Okrika

*clears throat*

OP, from your name, you're Kalabari. I understand the OP very well. For those who don't know what I mean, you know how Igbo and Yoruba are to themselves on the internet, that's what Ikwerre and Okirika/Kalabari are to themselves. The Okrikas/Kalabaris believe that the Ikwerres are greedy and selfish and they as well as they liken them to their kins in the East whom are known by other people around the country to be of such attitude. On the other hand, the Ikwerres refer to their counterparts as being greedy and lazy. Who are the indigenes of the original PH is still a topic of controversy among them till tomorrow. Amaechi's plan to demolish waterfronts is seen by these folks as that same hatred.

Now back to topic, the truth is that Ikwerres are not wicked like people seems to see them, if not you won't see this level of hospitality portrayed by them, as in the case of PH. The only thing I see as problem in the Ikwerres is that they don't travel out, they think that their land is the best. I'm not saying it's bad, self-pride is good in this case. I'm being maternalised in Ikwerreland, and from my observations, its only few that portrays these traits which is also ubiquitous among other groups. Ikwerre and in fact Rivers people in general are very hospitable. When I came to conclude this is one of my experience in Etche, when I and some people were arriving from a funeral in Imo state, our vehicle broke down in the middle of the night when we were returning. We asked for were we could pack our car but our hosts even gave us shelter to pass the night. Rivers people in general are very peaceful people, that is why even at their ethnic diversity, you barely here of inter-ethnic clashes. RUMU IKWERE WU ELE OMA!
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by Afam4eva(m): 6:03pm On Jan 19, 2013
Eze Promoe: Laughing in Ikwerre and Okrika

*clears throat*

OP, from your name, you're Kalabari. I understand the OP very well. For those who don't know what I mean, you know how Igbo and Yoruba are to themselves on the internet, that's what Ikwerre and Okirika/Kalabari are to themselves. The Okrikas/Kalabaris believe that the Ikwerres are greedy and selfish and they as well as they liken them to their kins in the East whom are known by other people around the country to be of such attitude. On the other hand, the Ikwerres refer to their counterparts as being greedy and lazy. Who are the indigenes of the original PH is still a topic of controversy among them till tomorrow. Amaechi's plan to demolish waterfronts is seen by these folks as that same hatred.

Now back to topic, the truth is that Ikwerres are not wicked like people seems to see them, if not you won't see this level of hospitality portrayed by them, as in the case of PH. The only thing I see as problem in the Ikwerres is that they don't travel out, they think that their land is the best. I'm not saying it's bad, self-pride is good in this case. I'm being maternalised in Ikwerreland, and from my observations, its only few that portrays these traits which is also ubiquitous among other groups. Ikwerre and in fact Rivers people in general are very hospitable. When I came to conclude this is one of my experience in Etche, when I and some people were arriving from a funeral in Imo state, our vehicle broke down in the middle of the night when we were returning. We asked for were we could pack our car but our hosts even gave us shelter to pass the night. Rivers people in general are very peaceful people, that is why even at their ethnic diversity, you barely here of inter-ethnic clashes. RUMU IKWERE WU ELE OMA!
You're right about Ikwerres being hospitable...Ikwerreland is the only place i've seen in Nigeria where Hausa, Yorubas, Ijaws live in their villages without being molested. When i lived in Ikwerre land, i never felt like a stranger because of the Igbo connection.

And about the riverine Ijaw people. They're also seen as trouble makers by other rivers indigene. There's a myth that suggest that they lose their brain when the river r educes or dries up and regain it when it comes back grin
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by EzePromoe: 6:08pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're right about Ikwerres being hospitable...Ikwerreland is the only place i've seen in Nigeria where Hausa, Yorubas, Ijaws live in their villages without being molested. When i lived in Ikwerre land, i never felt like a stranger because of the Igbo connection.
Same with me. Even as I speak the dialect together with them, they see me as one of them. When I was much younger, I play community match with them as an indigene and people don't try to detest that. There are some people who are in my position who will even forget where their fathers are from. grin
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by ibiso1986: 6:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
Well, ill say majority are heartless from experiences I had.. But there are still some few that are cool and kind hearted.. One thing I want to understand is that ikwerri youths always ask for marching ground fee when u are building in their land.. And they always come in different groups.. Even if government wants to develop their land by building roads in their streets/land, they will ask the goverment contractors to pay the indigenes.. The ijaw indigenes of portharcourt(abuloma, borokiri, town, amadiama, odili road etc) don't do such as they are considered more peaceful.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by StarFlux: 8:06pm On Jan 19, 2013
People still judge an entire group based on their personal experinces & gossip?

That is really silly.
Re: The Ikwerris Are Very Wicked And Heartless. "Why Do People Say So" by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:53pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva: This is a common thought of non-ikwerre people especially those who live in PH. It's mostly predicated on the fact that according to a lot of people, Ikwerre people can look for trouble and they fight a lot. You can have a small disagreement with an Ikwerre person and the next thing he does is to enter his kitchen to get a knife. I've experienced this too cos i've lived in Ikwerreland. Though i don't know if this behavior is only limited to just Ikwerres.

^^^Afam, on the bolded: i'm sure on sighting him emerging from his kitchen with a cutlass, you turned round sharp-sharp and ran like the wind; nothing do you bros....who wan die for sake of petty argument undecided?

(1) (Reply)

Alex Kehinde Bankole Celebrate HRM Yahaya Abubakar @70 / Must We Wish Ourselves Happy New Month Every Month? / Topless Virgins Step Out For Initiation Into Womanhood@d Iria Ceremony In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.