Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ - Entertainment (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ (13116 Views)

Avengers Vs Justice League ~ Debate Thread ~ / Nerd's Paradise **Debate Thread Chat Room** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
^^^^^^^yeah....I wanna build ur tension! grin grin grin

On a less unserious note, I'm at work. Gimme 2hours max
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 3:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
Okay scores coming soon
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 21, 2013
@Ijebabe & my fellow judges,i'm sorry for the delay. My judgement will be made known in 10mins.
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by bolakale30(m): 4:00pm On Jan 21, 2013
What happened nau... U said morning; we never see score... This is really discouraging, I need to consider my position in future debate !!!! #angry
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 4:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
bolakale30: What happened nau... U said morning; we never see score... This is really discouraging, I need to consider my position in future debate !!!! #angry
Well the debate was supposed to start early but did not and today is Monday. Busy day for everyone
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by bolakale30(m): 4:20pm On Jan 21, 2013
Mynd_44:
Well the debate was supposed to start early but did not and today is Monday. Busy day for everyone
I arrived here by 6.... And I started when one of the judges told me to, stopped when u asked me to.... So ?
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 4:23pm On Jan 21, 2013
bolakale30:
I arrived here by 6.... And I started when one of the judges told me to, stopped when u asked me to.... So ?
Oh relax na. I am posting it now
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Redmosquito(m): 4:25pm On Jan 21, 2013
bolakale30: What happened nau... U said morning; we never see score... This is really discouraging, I need to consider my position in future debate !!!! #angry
u speak my heart
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 4:33pm On Jan 21, 2013
Okay before I post my reselt, would love to make some comments as these comments will not change the outcome of the debate whatsoever.

I believe Bolakale did not read Lord of the Rings. Perhaps he saw the movie and he saw it a long time ago at that and Red Moss did not Read Harry Potter. I doubt He even saw all the parts of the movies sef but they both tried.

I would have enjoyed this more if Bolakake had mentioned that Gandalf had his staff broken which signifies that he was made powerless by a mere mortal wearing a ring of power (Lord of the Rings 3). When Gandalf was riding Shadowfax and carried Merriadoc on the back as the steward of Gondo Faramir wanted to burn Boromir alife.

He met with the one they call "The witch king of Agar" who was one of the Nine wraiths and was an human being who was corrupted by a ring and not even the ring of power.. He efforteslly broke Gandalf's staff and was about killing him before he was interupted by the arrivial of the Rohirrim who came to Gondor's aid.

It will also be recalled that that same wraith was the one who stabbed Frodo in Part 1 but was chased off by Aragon with just a sword and a tourch. So if Aragon who was a mere warrior could fight off 9 wraiths and just one wraith broke Gandalf's staff, where does that put Gandalf's powers?

Bola neglected this cos he did not know and it is unfortunate. Well my results are coming soon.

Stay tuned
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
Scores:
Bolakale

Content : 3.5 The text was rich and very nicely put. It was a nice read but he gave limited information as to his history and source of strenght. I would have loved to see him include the potentials of his subject. I will not score him high here cos he was deficient and he did not attack Red Moss's points well

Presentation style/delivery : 4.5 on point. He made it clear and delivered it well

Clarity/fluency : 4.5 here too, he made sense. I loved it

Quoting/Referencing : 5:0 i love that he referenced the part of the movie he was quoting so if I wanted to follow up, I know where to look

Total: 17.5
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
Scores:
Red Mosquito

Content : 5 He actually tried to make this part work and he did a lot of research into both movies and books. He invested time into understanding each of the characters and he showed it by the referencing of wikki. Nice job

Presentation style/delivery : 4.5 Again great job. Both of them made a lot of sense here and it worked

Clarity/fluency : 3.5 I will score him low here because some of his points were false. If he had decided to leave out the mirror point and picked on the remaining, it would have been good but he decided to argue that and he made a big blunder. Don't think I noticed cos of the comments as I already saw it and kept quiet

Quoting/Referencing : 2. Hate me for this, I don't care but Wikki is not a reliable source when you want to make references. For all you know, those quotes might have been written by me. You should have quoted the movie directly instead of an outside source as this will show that you understood the movie well.

Total scores: 15
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
^^^
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by bolakale30(m): 4:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
****clears throat****
Where are the other judges....
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Redmosquito(m): 5:03pm On Jan 21, 2013
the wikis were compiled by the story management. I made sure to bring up trustworthy info. I referenced them to the movies. I watched the movies, most parts of harry, all parts of LOTR.
I cant quote the movies properly without guys thinking I'm lying.
As for the mirror stuff. I still stand by my words. That defence was wack. Can the president of the US keep the launch button to an atomic bomb with such a rubbish spell?
The public will murder him for gross neglect. That means jack and johnny can walk as long as the dont want to carry it. Puleeze
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 5:08pm On Jan 21, 2013
Now that I have sent in my results, can someone mention that Dumbledore too did not fully accept his powers? In Harry potter (4), Dumbledore said "I would have been much more stronger than this all I have to do is reach out and take the powers available to me" in response to a question about the strenght of Voldemort.

And Gandalf stole Shadowfax from King Theodred of Rohan. The people of Rohan are the horse masters and Shadowfax belongs to the King of Rohan. "Where is my beloved horse you stole from me Wizard"? (Lord of the Rings 2) that was from King Theodred to Gandalf.

And if Gandalf could fight so well, when they were trapped inside the room and surrounded by goblins, how come he did not face them, why did they have to hide inside?
How come Dumbledore could not find the Chamber of secret that was in his own castle and find the monster? Sad don't you think?

A lot of things happened in Harry Potter that will make anyone doubt Dumbledore's powers jorh but he is strong no doubt as even Voldemort feared him and the fight at the ministry of magic proved it. Voldemort was sweating and Dumbledore was just playing around.

Finally, lemme post these beautiful words by Wormtail

Bone of the father, Unwillinly given
Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken.
The dark Lord shall rise again

And this too

"The wand is good no doubt and wonders will be done through it. However I am the one doing thw wonderful things now and not the wand"
Voldemort "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow 2"
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
Redmosquito: the wikis were compiled by the story management. I made sure to bring up trustworthy info. I referenced them to the movies. I watched the movies, most parts of harry, all parts of LOTR.
I cant quote the movies properly without guys thinking I'm lying.
As for the mirror stuff. I still stand by my words. That defence was wack. Can the president of the US keep the launch button to an atomic bomb with such a rubbish spell?
The public will murder him for gross neglect. That means jack and johnny can walk as long as the dont want to carry it. Puleeze
That's why you have judges who know both stories in and out. You should have referenced it first and see who will argue it with you na.
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by ijebabe: 5:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
Red Moss and Bola, please let all the judges present their scores before you argue them, else I'll hide ur posts. Be patient a while longer.

Binger and Speedy we are waiting, this is just taking too long! undecided undecided
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by xynerise: 5:49pm On Jan 21, 2013
*sneezes* Ijebabe, abeg hide this post for me. grin
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 21, 2013
I need to state that you guys really did a wonderful job and I enjoyed reading. Very good points from both sides.

Team Dumbledore

Bolakale:

-Content: 2 points......yeah..on point. But I still didn't dig it enough for a showdown! grin. By that, I didn't mean you need to write epistle grin
-Presentation style/ delivery: 2 points.....well presented but I was not wowed. It didn't give me the feeling of ..........grin
-clarity/fluency: 3 points.....he didn't confuse us. He explained his points accurately. At the same time, we didn't feel like a student who just got the concept of a subject grin. Good diction though.
-Quoting/referencing: 1 point...... You actually did a bad job here. 'You don't do copy and paste from the Internet' but you can as well quote or refer us from/to a book and tell us the name (yeah, we most definitely know the Harry potter series but we are all novice on this debate tongue). Its all good! But That's bad argument! Most of your argument could have held more water if you gave us where you were getting your reference from.

Total: 8 points

Team Grandalf

Red Mosquito:

-Content: 3 points......quite. your content was rich. But me still think it wasn't explored to the core tongue
-presentation style/delivery: 1 point.....not well presented. For opening and closing statements.....there were supposed to be less reference and more of 'your own words'. But you just kept on 'garbaging' everything together. Then again; in the argument...you always quoted, but you neither explained the quoted in your own words nor told us what you were passing across or implying. Are you telling us the quote is clear enough for all of us to grab? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. grin
-clarity/fluency: 2 points.......yes you know....once there's problem with presentation, clarity is affected. You can confuse a novice the way you quoted and always continued your argument without exploring your reference. You can use words like 'from the above quote, we can all see that.......' OR '..............the excerpt below gives more insight on this:' etc. You see? You might not really even say anything tangible/long, but you åre definitely Carrying the audience along. Don't make the audience who never heard of dumbledore or grandalf to seem lost wink
-Quoting/Referencing: 3 point....yea....the edge you always have. Lol. But since I have issues with the way you used your quotes...... ¯\..(•͡_ •͡ )../¯ but it definitely gave you an edge in the argument. But could have given you more edge grin.

Total: 9 points

P.S.: at the end....red moss did his argument justice compared to bolakale......you both tried though smiley cheers. *sips his wine with a cunning smile on his face*

N.B.: my judgement is strictly based on the criteria ije gave me. I behave strictly like I have no knowledge of the subject. So you gotta be that good smiley
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 21, 2013
I must say this was a really hot one from both guys Redmoss and Bolakale.Great job you both did...Oh well,here are my judgements

REDMOSQUITO

Content: He went home and did his homework pretty well,contrary to what he gave us the last time.He gets 5

Presentation: His case was neatly and boldly presented in an admirable way. 5 here

Clarity: In as much as most points were clear and straight to the point,i noticed some discombobulation at some point.4 it is

Quoting: He was clever enough to embellish and buttress his points with references,though not completely from a trusted source.It is 4.5 for this

Total-18.5/20
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
Bolakale

Content: Like a man aware of his mission,he knew what the situation required and gave it his all,i suppose.However,his points weren't so rich.4 here

Presentation: His style was good,challenging and straight to the point.But he kept using the black font in some of his posts as against the blue required of
Dumbledore team. This kinda distorted the orderliness already created.4 it is.

Clarity: At the point their argument got hot,he was still able to keep his points and choice of words on track preventing ambiguity. 5 here

Quoting: I was disappointed to see he didn't do much here.3.5 it is

Total score-16.5/20
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by bolakale30(m): 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
W.t.f..... Imagine a judge praising me 4 good quotes and others berating me 4 not quoting....lwkm4h.... So much 4 our judges !!!
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by ijebabe: 7:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
Final Scores

Bolakale
17.5 + 8 + 16.5 = 42

Red Moss
15 + 9 + 18.5 = 42.5

Its a very close one. Red Moss wins this debate cheesy Congrats Red Moss. thanks goes to Sango, right? tongue

Khales, don't be a sour puss, the judges gave scores based on their judgement tongue
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Mynd44: 7:05pm On Jan 21, 2013
I guess someone will stop calling me a bad belle now.
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 21, 2013
Congrats RedMoss...you've made Gandalf proud smiley
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by ikekings(m): 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2013
Yaaaaaayyyy!!!! **dancing alingo**... Gandalf rocks!!!
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
bolake30, no mind all these yawa people...Dumbledore forever!!!
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by SIRcumalot: 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
Mynd u just dey read this book, ni how u take remember all this things I don forget tay tay ?but I think voldermort won that duel with dumbledore at that ministry of magic. congrats to the two contestant.gandalf ruless!!!
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
Mynd u just dey read this book, ni how u take remember all this things I don forget tay tay ?but I think voldermort won that duel with dumbledore at that ministry. congrats to the two contestant.
errmm...excuse me?
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by ikekings(m): 7:43pm On Jan 21, 2013
ItsModella: bolake30, no mind all these yawa people...Dumbledore forever!!!
Who be yawa ni?
Re: Dumbledore Vs Gandalf ~ Debate Thread ~ by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
ikekings: Who be yawa ni?
yeye fowl...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

A Childhood Photo Of May D / 5 Nigerians You Never Knew Won Grammy Awards [+pictures] / Which Of This Is Nigerian Dance Of The Year?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.