Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? (63234 Views)

Checkout An Analysis Of King Solomon's Wealth / Was King Solomon Really A Wise Man? / King Solomon In The Bible And Bill Gates, Who Is The Richest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 20, 2013
This debate came up in church early this morning and some congregants who have visited the site where she was allegedly buried attested to this. she's described as Queen of Sheba

A Google search says this 'In the tenth century, the Queen of Sheba ruled over an ancient kingdom along the Red Sea, known as Abyssinia. It is found today in modern Ethiopia or Yemen. Archeologists have been digging in the Nigerian rainforest at Eredo, near what may have been her gravesite'

A further search gave me a result of a 2010 publication in the Vanguard News paper
Vanguard news On June 10, 2010:
Birikisu Sungbo: King Solomon’s African Queen

By Jimoh BABATUNDE
If one is to believe the Bible declaration that King Solomon had so many women that he loved and that he married an Egyptian, the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites, then one might be tempted to believe that one of the 700 or 1000 wives he was reported to have married was Birikisu Sungbo, regarded as the Biblical Queen of Sheba.

Birikisu Sungbo’s grave has been shrouded in mystery and sustained by religious curiosity at a rustic village called Oke Eri in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State, Nigeria.

So a journey to the shrine from Lagos takes about one and half hour to Ijebu Ode by car. Since there is no direct vehicle from the park to Oke Eri, one has the option of taking a chartered car or a motor bike, so I decided to go on a motor bike for this journey which took less than half an hour.

Being Sunday, the entire Oke Eri village was quiet and few of the inhabitants of the village were in the churches around.
From inquiring as to the road leading to the Birikisu Sungbo shrine, an elderly man asked the bike man to take the only tarred road in the town straight down and that at the end of the road was the shrine.

So, the journey into the unraveling of the shrine has begun. At a stage there was fear as to where we were heading to as the road was desolate except for one or two white garment churches members who were seen coming out from the forest.

The fear became more palpable when one saw a snake that was killed on the road. The snake was grayish with white tail.
Arriving at the gate leading to the centre, it was under lock and key, with over grown weeds and pockets of new buildings under construction.

In a dilemma as to what to do, the bike man, John, suggested we go back to the village to inquire on how to gain access to the shrine. This we did.

In the village, after some inquiries, we were directed to see an elderly man who was said to be in charge of the Bilikisu Sungbo shrine.Enter Chief Moses Awofeko.

Meeting Chief Moses Awofeko in his room with broom in his hand, which he used to drive away flies, probably attracted to the compound by the numerous dogs around, evokes a memory of the village story teller.
I said “Baba Good day.”Who is that? He asked.Baba, I am directed to see you Why? He asked.
“I am here to see the shrine of Birikisu Sungbo.” I replied.Ha ha ( laughter) If it is because of that you have to see me o! . Baba said.

I then asked if I could come in and he answered in the affirmative.So on entering the room, Baba Moses Awofeko as he introduced himself, said he would only tell me the story of the legendary woman if I gave him money. After some haggling, I gave a little amount of money and the story began.

But before he began, he said the keys to the shrine had been taken to Abeokuta, the State Capital, by government officials whom he said wanted to renovate the place to a world class tourism attraction.

“She came here from Ethiopia, where she was born with her numerous servants and is the first lady to wear a crown in this part of the world as she came with a crown on her head. But there was no means of transport in those days. It was claimed that she travelled in a whirlwind or rode on the back of an eagle.”

Pa Moses Awofeko, who claimed he is about 90 years, said King Solomon during his life time had the power to talk and interact with animals and birds. It was one of those birds that told Solomon about the pretty lady, Bilikisu, and Solomon came looking for her.

Asked who told him the story, Pa Awofeko claimed it was handed down to him by his forefathers and that he has spent the last 30 years of his life relating the story to tourists.

Another angle to the story is that the Birikisu of Sungbo was said to be the Queen of Sheba, an Arabian who met and fell in love with King Solomon. Later, the Queen of Sheba in her old age returned to Oke Eri where she died and was buried.

The Bible is silent on whether the Queen of Sheba ever married King Solomon. But, Pa Awofeko believes that Queen of Sheba (Birikisu) did, but did not have any child for King Solomon.

Pa Moses Awofeko went further to say that Birikisu Sungbo was a wealthy woman who was a leader of a group of women potters.

“In her lifetime, she had many slaves and many important visitors came to her from far and near whom she hosted, lavishly. Sungbo herself travelled widely, possibly to return the visits made to her.”

Birikisu was believed to have supernatural powers. She was believed to have dug pits around the village with a mere needle.

“[b]These pits could be found throughou[/b]t Ijebu area and could have been dug to serve either as remembrance of her greatness after her death by her devoted slaves or as a source of water supply in the dry season. The pits are generally called Sungbo Rivers.”

On her tomb no weed has ever been known to grow there and on the spot where she was washed before being buried.
Asked if this is still the case, Pa Awofeko responded yes

Women, according to the culture of the place, are forbidden access to the real tomb.
It was claimed that a European woman, the wife of Captain Ross, the Resident in Ijebu Ode, who put the taboo to test, died soon after she deliberately stepped on the grave.

PRAYERS
Both Christians and Muslims are convinced the grave is a sacred place, so thousands of Christians and Muslims come to pray there every year.

He explains why many of them are convinced that Birikisu Sungbo is none other than the Queen of Sheba.
“All what I’m saying is in the history given to me — whatever is asked for at her grave side is accepted.

You will not believe the crowd that moves there during the Christmas period or Muslim festivals when the religious faithful go there to pray.”He said most of them do come back to thank her for prayers answered.

ATTRACTIONS
The State government needs to do more than it is presently doing at the centre. Recreational facilities being built for the convenience of the visitors should be completed on time. The two chalets there are nothing to write home about.
The access road is in a sorry state and it needs to be up-graded.

As the world celebrates Tourism and Biodiversity later in the year, the groove of the Birikisu Sungbo shrine is a good example of a healthy ecosystem which forms the cornerstone of thousands of tourist enterprises and products worldwide, attracting hundreds of millions of tourists each year. Let’s keep this legacy alive and reap the proceeds acruing therefrom.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/06/birikisu-sungbo-king-solomons-african-queen/

Seriously, i don't know what to say or believe, but im sure some Nigerians especially those from Ogun state might have heard about the story, since the shrine is still in Ijebu Ogun state

4 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by jayriginal: 11:37am On Jan 20, 2013
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 20, 2013
jayriginal: Hello Toba. See here.

https://www.nairaland.com/792952/queen-sheba-queen-eba
i see, oh thanks. Wasn't properly debated.

I hope Christians and Non christians from Ogun state would do so here on this thread, especially the Vanguard news' story
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Libkid(m): 12:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
Joke of the century

20 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by dridowu: 12:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmm
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by mmmustapha(m): 12:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
grin grin beautiful lie, even 14yrs old boy wil not blieve dis

6 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
Interesting.. But if this is true, what are the implications? undecided

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 20, 2013
We hear,so the man married across the globe. Nawa ooo.
9th wonder of the world.
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by baynix(m): 12:33pm On Jan 20, 2013
Nooo, She Was From Kaduna..
*Jokes Apart*

Actually, They (State Govt.) Can Turn The Grave Spot To Tourist Center!!

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by oboy3(m): 12:34pm On Jan 20, 2013
i think judas iscariot is from Okene in ogun state

22 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 20, 2013
LMAO! R. Kelly is also from Obingwa South LGA. His full name is Rowland Kenechukwu grin grin grin

21 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 20, 2013
Actually, this nonsense will make a very good movie!

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by dino2006(m): 12:34pm On Jan 20, 2013
Wow! This could turn out to be a major tourist breakthru for the people, if confirmed.
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by strangest(m): 12:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
yeah its true... the igbos are jews, I now see the connection grin

5 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by OmoKhary(f): 12:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
Hmm.....no comment
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by anitank(f): 12:40pm On Jan 20, 2013
LOL ok na
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
Effect of strong wine on a sunday afternoon.
musKeeto: Interesting.. But if this is true, what are the implications? undecided
Only toba can tell.:-)
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by safarigirl(f): 12:42pm On Jan 20, 2013
But the closest contact Europe had to Africa according to the bible, was in Ethiopia.

It's hard to believe Igwe Solo, a man kept in charge of a whole kingdom took leave to travel a distance that could've taken half a year or even a full year as at that time just to find someone to knack.

3 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by noskeybaba: 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2013
strangest: yeah its true... the igbos are jews, I now see the connection grin

Actually they are descendants of the Israelis. Their culture similarities proves it.

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by fittty(m): 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ok

2 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by osifred(m): 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2013
This is how false myths are birthed.

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by AdetoroBukola: 12:46pm On Jan 20, 2013
o'boy:
i think judas iscariot is from Okene in ogun state

I think u re right about that.
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by moneyhungry(m): 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
chineka god!

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by elopee3000(m): 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
to eat hot amala with gbegiri soup in very hot afternoon is not good cus it make one to speak in tongue,bilikisu sungbo solomom wife came to ogun state on eagles back just like oduduwa drop from heaven,when did usman dan fodio convert yorubas to muslim ?

5 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by moneyhungry(m): 12:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
Richfella: LMAO! R. Kelly is also from Obingwa South LGA. His full name is Rowland Kenechukwu grin grin grin
can u keep a secret? ... u're so dry.

3 Likes

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
If igbos were existing before Adam was created and igbos are jews from israel,why can't queen sheba be from ogun state ? Shebi,obama sef na from kenya and oprah winfrey from south africa. grin

1 Like

Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
This early morning? Solomon married youruba woman too? Ha! Was her name Titilayo? Was she one of the "concubines"? Cos that is not impossible. Going by this assertion, i hereby posit that another of his numerous wives/concubines was a woman from Imo State grin
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Smartjeezy(m): 12:49pm On Jan 20, 2013
I heard the strory too some years back.It's time for me to travel down there with my foreign friends.
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by TeenageMoney(m): 12:49pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ok na... We hear You...

Summary Pls
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Ayorh4you(m): 12:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
Wonder wonder wonder.......#singin in Femi Anikulapo Kuti's voice
Re: One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? by Kzinne: 12:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
rubbish nonsense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary / This Madness On Marriage Has Got To Stop In The Church. / Is This Bird Witchcraft Sacrifice Or What? (Photo)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.