Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo (19021 Views)

What Obasanjo Taught Me - Femi Kayode / What Obasanjo Really Tore Up - Abimbola Adelakun / Soludo: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Meby Charles Soludo On January 23, 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Abagworo(m): 4:04am On Jan 21, 2013
A central issue in the quest for Nigeria’s greatness is leadership selection. Some 2,400 years ago, the great philosopher, Plato, argued that “As a just and healthy person is governed by knowledge and reason, a just society must be under the control of society’s most cultivated and best informed minds, its ‘lovers of wisdom’…” I have chosen to share the thoughts of our two presidents to encourage a debate on the matter, especially given the pervasive indifference or downright loathsomeness to matters of politics and governance by the so called ‘lovers of wisdom’. I served Nigeria under two presidents. This piece is not part of ‘the book’ on presidential governance.

The date was Friday, March 17, 2006. At the morning prayer session with President Olusegun Obasanjo at the ‘red carpet’ in the villa, I raised a special prayer point and asked the congregation to pray for the new governor of my state Anambra, Peter Obi (who was on his way from Abuja to Awka to be sworn in same day), as well as for Anambra State so that Obi’s regime may mark an end to the brigandage and misrule in the state. We were all upstanding.

The president cut in, and pointing in my direction remarked: “We shall pray as you have requested but the problem with you people from Anambra is that those of you who have something to offer shy away from politics and hooligans have taken over your state”. To the best of my recollection, that was the only prayer point during the four years of daily devotion that received a commentary.  ‘Baba’, as we fondly call him was basically telling us to ‘get involved or stop complaining’.  Periodically, the three of us from Anambra who were regular members of the prayer group (Oby Ezekwesili, Rev.William Okoye and I) had cause to brainstorm on the challenges and limitations of participation in politics especially by those of us who were ‘technocrats’. While we were obsessed with ‘good governance’, we had little interest in the process of acquiring power.

After leaving office as governor of the central bank, I was in London when twice in June 2009 I received calls from Alhaji Mangal to the effect that President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua wanted to see me anytime I was in Nigeria. I returned with my family late July and on Sunday, July 26, I received a call that the president wanted to see me by 9:30pm. After a few banter, he asked what I was doing abroad. As I explained the three offers I was considering, he was shaking his head. “Well”, he started, “it is not because you are here, but I have said this several times to you. Given your age, skills, and your accomplishments for our economy and financial system, it would be a waste for you not to continue to be involved in Nigeria’s public service… For example, there is going to be an election in your state early next year and I want to strongly urge you to show interest… You know that your state has been unfortunate with leadership, and our party has been in crisis there...” 

At that point, my heart beat was racing. Before I left office, many people from Anambra had suggested that I should run for governor but it did not make any sense to me and my family. As I began my response, Yar’Adua cut in and suggested that I did not need to respond immediately but instead that I should go home and ‘consult’ with some of the political leaders in the state. He then raised his two thumbs and assured that “if you accept to do this, I will come out fully to make sure that you get there”. If he had allowed me to respond immediately, the answer would have been an unambiguous ‘NO’.  I thanked him and left.

On getting home, my wife was curious. I summarized what the president said, and she asked: ‘so what was your response?’ I told her the president would not let me respond but asked that I go and ‘consult’. “Then go back tomorrow and tell him that you have finished consulting and that the answer is No”, she ruled. I pleaded with her that we should at least give some time, out of respect, before reporting our decision. I confided in a few people and sought their advice. Within a week, the ‘rumours’ were everywhere. In the meantime, Yar’Adua also told a few people of his plans for Anambra and how he wanted to ‘use Soludo to make Anambra a model state’. He specifically requested Chief Tony Anenih to help him make it happen. My wife and I came under inestimable pressure --- ‘to go and serve our people’. Some even said it was a ‘divine call to serve’, etc. My wife loathes politics and can’t stand it.

On August 12, 2009, I gave Yar’Adua the ‘preliminary report’ on my consultations. To enable me take a decision, I presented the challenges and threats to his proposal to which he laid out solutions. I told him that after three offices at the Federal Government (as chief economic adviser, de facto Minister of National Planning; and governor of the central bank) I believed I had had my day on duty as far as government was concerned and wanted to return to the international community, academia and private sector. The only reason another public office would make sense to me in the circumstance was if I believed I could really make a fundamental difference.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Abagworo(m): 4:04am On Jan 21, 2013
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Nobody: 6:38am On Jan 21, 2013
The summary of the whole story is that if Yar Adua had not fallen ill and GEJ became the acting president within the period of the election, Soludo would have become the governor of Anambra state by hook or crook.

Well, I have nothing against Soludo being governor of Anambra state (I sincerly wish he could succeed Peter Obi) but I am TOTALLY against manipulation of the electoral process to achieve predetermined goals.

A 'discredited' person who ascends to power with full support and mandate of his people, humbled by the circumstance of his ascension to power, may turn out to be good leader. On the other hand, those who 'have something to offer' (in the thinking of some god father) but are installed to leadership position without input from the people, may most likely put the interest of the god fathers and 'babas' first before that of the people. Such preventable distraction may hinder the performance of such persons.

No matter how good or whatever goodies some persons have to offer, they MUST pass thru a free and fair election. Leaders at all levels MUST ascend to position of authority thru the vote of the people. There's NO substitute for free and fair elections.

13 Likes

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by MrGlobe(m): 6:46am On Jan 21, 2013
^
my friend shut up. when has free and fair election ever been recorded in Nigeria? Atleast Ngige that rigged election performed far more better in 3 years than Peter obi in 8 years. All Nigerian politicians assended to office by hook or crook and if we could get a competent person to do so in Anambra, I don't have a problem with that as the people's will will always be subverted through the election mechinery. Lets not act like its not the system. Did Peter obi win the last election?

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by MrGlobe(m): 6:55am On Jan 21, 2013
Great article in all. I guess this is his formal announcement of his intent to run the 2014 elections and I enjoin all reasonable Anambrarians to massively support him this time and capture our dear state from the unambitous, petty, mediocre, fraudulent woman speaking governor. Isn't it encouraging that Soludo already had a big working plan before even contesting the election.

2 Likes

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 21, 2013
With all these reports coming in, it shows that Baba was a prayer warrior. Baba combines both God and devil.

4 Likes

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by asha80(m): 7:34am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:
Great article in all. I guess this is his formal announcement of his intent to run the 2014 elections and I enjoin all reasonable Anambrarians to massively support him this time[b] and capture our dear state from the unambitous, petty, mediocre, fraudulent woman speaking governor.[/b] Isn't it encouraging that Soludo already had a big working plan before even contesting the election.

you are very funny.you talk as if obi going for another term.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by wesley80(m): 7:35am On Jan 21, 2013
Let him first pray he (Soludo) doesn't end up contesting for President - of prison inmates that is!
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by tchaik(m): 7:35am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:
^
my friend shut up. when has free and fair election ever been recorded in Nigeria? Atleast Ngige that rigged election performed far more better in 3 years than Peter obi in 8 years. All Nigerian politicians assended to office by hook or crook and if we could get a competent person to do so in Anambra, I don't have a problem with that as the people's will will always be subverted through the election mechinery. Lets not act like its not the system. Did Peter obi win the last election?

shocked shocked shocked shocked sad shocked shocked @ bolded
Which anambra?
Any facts to back it up?
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by eksbabe(f): 7:36am On Jan 21, 2013
IMO,I really do think this man will make a good governor for Anambra state bet with all this their "politics do or die game" who knows what Yaradua meant when he said "he'lld help him get dere"Hmmm undecided
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by lagcity(m): 7:42am On Jan 21, 2013
Soludo is on the money on this one. Intellectuals are avoiding politics but they don't know that by doing so, they are toying with the future of their kids and grandkids. Can one imagine top notch people like Fashola and Dr. Fayemi avoiding politics only to end up b1tching about how touts are ruining the country? It is ridiculous.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by asha80(m): 7:44am On Jan 21, 2013
lagcity: Soludo is on the money on this one. Intellectuals are avoiding politics but they don't know that by doing so, they are toying with the future of their kids and grandkids. Can one imagine top notch people like Fashola and Dr. Fayemi avoiding politics only to end up b1tching about how touts are ruining the country? It is ridiculous.

some of the m feel the best thing is to relocate to another country to continue with their life.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by MrGlobe(m): 7:47am On Jan 21, 2013
tchaik:

shocked shocked shocked shocked sad shocked shocked @ bolded
Which anambra?
Any facts to back it up?
The fact is there in the state. Go there and find out.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by MrGlobe(m): 7:48am On Jan 21, 2013
wesley80: Let him first pray he (Soludo) doesn't end up contesting for President - of prison inmates that is!
let us pray you get a life.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Nobody: 7:58am On Jan 21, 2013
Soludo is an expired product oozing out malodorous corruption.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by wesley80(m): 7:59am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:

I really don't know where to start replying you from. Someone was invited by the political tool EFCC more than 8 years after leaving office for questioning and was discharged immediately and you are asking him to clear his name? Why must you wait until EFCC pronounces someone corrupt brfore you believe he is? where should he clear his name, in your village? your opinion is irrelevant, we Anambrians have realised we made a grave mistake by not seeing to the end of soludo winning that election and I don't see a reoccurence. Like I said earlier, get a life!
Sorry Pal, your abysmal comprehensive skill did you in. Now read my post again and pay attention to the bolded portion.
wesley80:
I actually do have a great life, question is do you? If you had one I'm sure you'd know to question the credentials Soludo brings to the table considering the jury's still out on his stewardship at the CBN. How does being an "intellectual" of questionable repute translate to being a great politician and the panacea to the problem of Anambra state? Let him first concentrate on clearing his name before regaling us with his intellectual brilliance, we aren't short of smooth talking brilliant criminals with super sized egos.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by MrGlobe(m): 8:14am On Jan 21, 2013
wesley80:
I actually do have a great life, question is do you? If you had one I'm sure you'd know to question the credentials Soludo brings to the table considering the jury's still out on his stewardship at the CBN. How does being an "intellectual" of questionable repute translate to being a great politician and the panacea to the problem of Anambra state? Let him first concentrate on clearing his name before regaling us with his intellectual brilliance, we aren't short of smooth talking brilliant criminals with super sized egos.
I really don't know where to start replying you from. Someone was invited by the political tool EFCC more than 8 years after leaving office for questioning and was discharged immediately and you are asking him to clear his name? Why must you wait until EFCC pronounces someone corrupt brfore you believe he is? where should he clear his name, in your village? your opinion is irrelevant, we Anambrians have realised we made a grave mistake by not seeing to the end of soludo winning that election and I don't see a reoccurence. Like I said earlier, get a life!

3 Likes

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by OmerianConsult: 8:45am On Jan 21, 2013
ok
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Nobody: 8:57am On Jan 21, 2013
Sometimes I do wonder why anambra people are ranting that obi is ill-working whereas the man has done tremendous works in his state.good road stedy electricity were all I witnessed when I spent 2wks at ekwulobia last year,but when I got to my own darling state abia I wept and used my tears to add more waters to the flood. God help abia state I don't wish to meet bad roads and any other form of bad governace in my next visit. God bless abia state ! Long live umuigbo.

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by wesley80(m): 8:58am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:

Sorry Pal, your abysmal comprehensive skill did you in. Now read my post again and pay attention to the bolded portion.
wesley80:
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by OmerianConsult: 9:03am On Jan 21, 2013
You should have harkened to your wife's advice n stayed away instead of allowing ppu who have nothing to offer to manipulate u 4 selfish reasons. U could still become governor one day but ur involvement with those people has postponed or destroyed your chance.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by almajiri101: 9:06am On Jan 21, 2013
Does soludo worship @ okija shrine? If he doesn't I think his chances of winning is vry low anywayz i no even knw wetin concern me wit anambra when my state "maiduguri" dey on fire
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Kelvinsonelly: 9:08am On Jan 21, 2013
lucenzo: With all these reports coming in, it shows that Baba was a prayer warrior. Baba combines both God and devil.

Point of correction:
U can never combine GOD and devil pls note that.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by DidiLove1: 9:26am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:
^
[b]my friend shut up. [/b]when has free and fair election ever been recorded in Nigeria? Atleast Ngige that rigged election performed far more better in 3 years than Peter obi in 8 years. All Nigerian politicians assended to office by hook or crook and if we could get a competent person to do so in Anambra, I don't have a problem with that as the people's will will always be subverted through the election mechinery. Lets not act like its not the system. Did Peter obi win the last election?

No need to cuss na my brother, we are all airing our views here.
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 21, 2013
Kelvinsonelly:
Point of correction:
U can never combine GOD and devil pls note that.

Mr corrector;
When I said combining GOD and devil, I did not mean in their personality. I meant combining Godly things with devilish things like going to church and shrine. Do I need to write an epistle before you understand the simplest of things? Na wa ooo

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by strangest(m): 9:28am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:
^

what exactly did Ngige, the Okija shrine slowpoke do to make him better than Peter Obi? Giving out contracts and collecting feedbacks? And Peter Obi came in and saw to it that the contracts were all executed unlike some morons that will cancel the whole contracts because there was no other feedback to collect... Mind you, no government gives you 100% payment until job is done...
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by nkemKalu: 9:33am On Jan 21, 2013
WHY IS OBASANJO AND YAR'ADUA AFTER ANAMBRA STATE? IS IT NOT THE SAME OBASANJO THAT RAISED THUGS LIKE CHRIS UBA & CO IN ANAMBRA? WAS HE NOT THE ONE THAT ARRANGED THE KIDNAP OF NGIGE A SITTING GOVERNOR?? WAS HE NOT THE ONE THAT IMPOSED AND RIGGED ELECTION IN FAVOUR OF THE SAME NGIGE? WAS HE NOT THE ONE THAT INSTALLED ANDY UBA AS GOVERNOR AND WAS LATER SACKED BY THE COURT? WHY ARE THEY INTERESTED IN THE GOVERNORSHIP OF ANAMBRA STATE? COULD THIS BE A GENUINE INTEREST ? IF THEY LOVED TECHNOCRATS AS LEADERS, WHY DID THEY NOT ASK SOLUDO TO CONTEST THE PRESIDENCY SO THAT THEY WILL SUPPORT HIM AND POSSIBLY MAKE HIM THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA? I JUST THINK THAT THESE ARE CRIMINIALS IN ACTION? OBASANJO AND YAR' ADUA MUST HAVE NURTURED SOME PERSONAL AND SELFISH INTEREST IN ANAMBRA AND ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO USE TO ACHIEVE THAT. I PERSONALLY DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST SOLUDO BEING THE GOVERNOR OF ANAMBRA STATE IF IT IS OUT OF HIS OWN EVOLUTION? BUT FOR OBASANJO AND YAR' ADUA TO THINK THEY LOVE ANAMBRA MORE THAN ANAMBRIANS.......IT IS ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH AND NOBODY SHOULD LISTEN TO SUCH GABBAGE....AFTERALL SOLUDO HAD BEEN A CBN GOVERNOR AS WELL AS ECONOMIC ADVISER TO THE PRESIDENT, SO THE BEST POSITION FOR HIM SHOULD BE A PROMOTION TO PRESIDENT AND NOT MAKING ANOTHER GOVERNOR OUT OF HIM. PERIOD. HOWEVER, IF OUT OF HIS OWN PERSONAL AND GENUINE INTEREST TO SERVE HIS PEOPLE, HE WANTS TO CONTEST THE GOVERNORSHIP SEAT OF ANAMBRA STATE, THEN HE IS WELCOME ANYTIME ANY DAY. OBASANJO IN PARTICULAR SHOULD BE THROWN TO THE DUST BIN WHEN IT COMES TO ANAMBRA POLITICS.

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:33am On Jan 21, 2013
chiover: Sometimes I do wonder why anambra people are ranting that obi is ill-working whereas the man has done tremendous works in his state.good road stedy electricity were all I witnessed when I spent 2wks at ekwulobia last year,but when I got to my own darling state abia I wept and used my tears to add more waters to the flood. God help abia state I don't wish to meet bad roads and any other form of bad governace in my next visit. God bless abia state ! Long live umuigbo.

Point of correction which road did you say he built? He is busy patching the roads he built and he didn't do anything about electricity except from the federal gov.

Ngige's 3yrs is better than Mr Peter Obi's 8yrs. We that are based in anambra state knows what we are saying.

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by wellmax(m): 9:35am On Jan 21, 2013
A very interesting article from a patriotic Nigerian, that is if you took time to read the entire article.

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by wellmax(m): 9:37am On Jan 21, 2013
Guys don't miss the point here, Soludo is not talking exclusively about Anambra but about technocrats and professional coming in to salvage Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Kzinne: 9:38am On Jan 21, 2013
d guy is an illiterate
Re: What Obasanjo And Yar’adua Told Me-soludo by Syncan(m): 9:44am On Jan 21, 2013
Mr. Globe:
^

Mr. Globe:

The fact is there in the state. Go there and find out.

You just won't get tired of spreading falsehood.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths / Sokoto Electorate To Commence Recall Of Defected Lawmakers – CCSS / 3 Soldiers, Gunmen Killed In Daura Attack – Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.