Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 (1544 Views)

Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily / CAN Blasts El-rufai For Jesus Comment On Twitter / Cleric Attacks El-Rufai For Jesus Joke On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by asha80(m): 12:24am On Jan 27, 2013
Merger: New party considers Ribadu, el-Rufai for 2015
January 27, 2013 by Niyi Odebode 2 Comments
Nuhu Ribadu and Nair el-Rufai

Nuhu Ribadu and Nair el-Rufai
| credits:

Opposition parties in merger talks are shopping for a young northerner with a pan-Nigeria disposition that can be fielded as a presidential candidate in 2015.

SUNDAY PUNCH’s investigations showed that the search was part of the plan of the merger partners, if the Congress for Progressive Change Presidential candidate in 2011, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) dropped his ambition.

It was gathered that the opposition parties might shift attention to a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, and the Action Congress of Nigeria presidential candidate in 2011, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

It was, however, learnt that the search was not restricted to the two as it would be extended to technocrats, with progressive disposition.

Such a candidate, it was gathered, must be able to take on President Goodluck Jonathan or any other politician that would be the flag bearer of the Peoples Democratic Party in 2015.

A chieftain of the CPC, who spoke in confidence with our correspondent, said, “We are working on a plan B. If Gen. Buhari does not contest, the parties will shift attention to younger candidates.

“Our search will be extended to non-politicians, including young technocrats from the North. El-Rufai and Ribadu will be among the pool of candidates who will be screened.”

Buhari, had after the 2011 elections said he would not contest again having contested three times and failed.

But at the inauguration of the CPC merger committee on January 16, 2013, Buhari said the outcome of the merger would determine his 2015 ambition.

It was earlier reported that Buhari might drop his presidential ambition as parties in the merger had an initial understanding that leaders must be ready to make personal sacrifices for the success of the merger.

Such a sacrifice, it was gathered, might see Buhari dropping his presidential ambition, if it would thwart the merger plan.

An aide of el-Rufai, who pleaded anonymity, told our correspondent that, “There have been various speculations. There was a report that there was tension between Gen. Buhari and el-Rufai. There is nothing of such.

“The former minister is concerned with the success of the ongoing talks among some opposition parties.”

Efforts to get Ribadu did not succeed as calls to his mobile telephone did not go through, neither did he respond to a text message sent to him.

A member of the PDP Board of Trustees, Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, had said the merger plan by opposition parties would not stop the PDP from emerging victorious in 2015 elections.

Iwuanyanwu described the move as one that would neither pull PDP down nor succeed.

“As a democrat, I should sound a note of warning; I have read recently about the coming together of some political parties. They are not coming together on the basis of ideology. They are coming together because they are afraid that unless they gang up, PDP will win the elections in 2015. This is a wrong political calculation.”

The parties involved in the merger have however accused the PDP of frustrating their plan.

They said the merger plans had driven the PDP-led Federal Government to resort to tactics aimed at tarnishing the image of key opposition leaders.

http://www.punchng.com/news/merger-new-party-considers-ribadu-el-rufai-for-2015/
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by seanet01: 3:24am On Jan 27, 2013
You can not outsmart Tinubu.
He already know El-Rufai will not make it in the South.
It is going to be a win all for ACN if buhari is not careful.
Tinubu will ensure he controls the real machinery of the new party.
He will do this without Buhari noticing until Ribadu is picked ahead of El-Rufai due to Southern hatred for El-Rufai, especially in the South South and East.
Ribadu have a National appeal than El-Rufai.
Then the alliance will still be forced to pick a Yoruba Vice President, to be largely influenced by Jagaban Borgu again.
This man get brain o.
Working supersonic computer.
You don't need a soothsayer to tell you Tinubu's brain is a CONSISTENT FACULTY.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by miiraaj: 4:13am On Jan 27, 2013
Whether Ribadu or El rufa'I,I don't care. All we need is a strong and formidable party machinery that will reduce corruption in the system. But in my opinion, I think Buhari is the only answer to that.

1 Like

Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Akanbiedu(m): 8:17am On Jan 27, 2013
seanet01: You can not outsmart Tinubu.
He will do this without Buhari noticing until Ribadu is picked ahead of El-Rufai due to Southern hatred for El-Rufai, especially in the South South and East.
Then the alliance will still be forced to pick a Yoruba Vice President, to be largely influenced by Jagaban Borgu again.
This man get brain o.

What is the purpose of this?
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by seanet01: 8:48am On Jan 27, 2013
Akanbi_edu:
Purpose?
Water.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by warrior01: 8:59am On Jan 27, 2013
Let them gather and field any northerner they feel like, it doesn't stop Gej from winning if he decides to contest come 2015. Though not perfect, PDP remains the only national and serious political party in Nigeria. coming together of two regional idi.ots that feels that they own Nigeria, doesn't have any national outlook and are infact very tribalistic. They always believe that presidential candidates must come from their regions. In as much as the trend continues like this, we too, we know where we are from and who to vote for.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Tolexander: 9:27am On Jan 27, 2013
but these guys were part of the past administration.
El Rufai tried his best in the beautification of the FCT, but he still had some flaws. While Ribadu turned himself to a political weapon to witchhunt the opponents.
Wondering how they grew up to be a critics and saints.
But i think Buhari's stand on the 2015 presidential election should be properly verified cos if not. I pray he wont just emerge after the consensus agreement between the opposition parties has been reached to tell us he still wants to contest.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by asha80(m): 9:59am On Jan 27, 2013
i doubt ribadu or elrufai commands the same following as buhari in the north especially.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Afam4eva(m): 10:14am On Jan 27, 2013
It seems this people will never learn their lessons. How can they field political nonentities like RIbadu and El Rufai. Why not stick to Buhari now that the merger is coming through because Buhari has the following in the North and the merger will see that he makes headway into the south as well.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Maxymilliano(m): 10:30am On Jan 27, 2013
asha 80: i doubt ribadu or elrufai commands the same following as buhari in the north especially.

With the exception of Buhari, the peddled names above are paperweight politicians without electoral value even in their domain.

I watched Tinubu on TV talking about opposition leaders making sacrifices towards the success of the merger and I believe he meant jettison their respective political ambitions to allow room for young bloods. But with the current colouration of politics in Nigeria, anything short of Buhari candidacy will be another exercise in futility.

The more reason PDP/GEJ will be retaining the lever of government come 2015.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Walexz02(m): 10:35am On Jan 27, 2013
@afam, I am thinking likwise too, they should just help the Gen. Creat more awearnes in the SS...coz he still have a better chance
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by kokoA(m): 10:37am On Jan 27, 2013
warrior01: Let them gather and field any northerner they feel like, it doesn't stop Gej from winning if he decides to contest come 2015. Though not perfect, PDP remains the only national and serious political party in Nigeria. coming together of two regional idi.ots that feels that they own Nigeria, doesn't have any national outlook and are infact very tribalistic. They always believe that presidential candidates must come from their regions. In as much as the trend continues like this, we too, we know where we are from and who to vote for.
you could still have made your point without using an insultive word ('idi.ot'). . Don't you think the coming together of these parties show that they are tired of being seen as "regional parties"? They want to build a mega party with a national outlook. I don't think PDP was built in a day, besides the only thing that binds PDP politicians from north to south together is CORRUPTION! @Topic, I would prefer a Marwa/Fashola ticket come 2015.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by PointB: 10:37am On Jan 27, 2013
This man get brain o.
Akanbi_edu:

Lol. Why are you trying to shut up your loquacious brother? We already know there is nothing altruistic in the motive behind the so-call merger. It's all about getting a Yoruba man in as a president after 2015 via the vice president route!

Anyway the merger is already a failed project!
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 27, 2013
This man get brain o.

Sometimes, you just have to let commenting slide.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by jmaine: 11:07am On Jan 27, 2013
TouchDown:

Sometimes, you just have to let commenting slide.

grin
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Akanbiedu(m): 11:09am On Jan 27, 2013
jmaine:

grin

How far Jmaine?
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by jmaine: 11:12am On Jan 27, 2013
Akanbi_edu:

How far Jmaine?

Highly gallant Brother mi grin
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by gbolah1(m): 11:34am On Jan 27, 2013
I will be happy to see Ridadu as the next president of this country and fashola or any other technocrat as vice president comes 2015,
Ribadu is someone that always have passion for whatever he believes inn. People can say he did some selective prosecution while he was the efcc chairman, I admit but there is no way he can fight every one at the same time,no body can tell me that all the people he arrested then, non of them commit the offense they were accuse off.
Then he was not the president of this country, he will still need president consent b4 he can prosecute anybody, if president have personal interest in any case, there is no way he could go ahead with it, we all saw what happen during andoaka regim.
Ribadu tried his best for his father land n we should learn how to appreciation our citizen,he fought corruption n corruption fight back on him,it was God that safe him after fail attempt of his life.
Ribadu is the type of leader we need in nigeria, Buhari is old now, we cannt be thinking he will still have the same strength he had 30years ago to fight corruption the way he did during is regime, I personally believe that buhari his only after achieving is goals of becoming democratic elected president of nigeria,
Political Buhari is far stronger than Ribadu.but I will rather prefer to see Buhari as national leader nt as president of my country.
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by PointB: 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2013
See rebranding... tongue
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by Arosa(m): 12:28pm On Jan 27, 2013
I support Ribadu, el-rufai can be the minister for propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by omiobo: 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2013
I cant wait for another 4yrs of PDP. I pray this news is false. Buhari,i beg contest. Biko!

1 Like

Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by drnoel: 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2013
hahaha once buhari takes the stand to contest, it will be thier failure. I know he won't be wise enough to see this coming but looks like its all good. Anyway, since its already sounds like this I believe they've just given GEJ the winnings. SO its time to just say Congrats to GEJ for winning 2015..
Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by seanet01: 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2013
Buhari stand no chance in south west.
Only Ribadu can do it.
Of course ibos will go with gej but they will be minors this time

1 Like

Re: Merger: New Party Considers Ribadu, El-rufai For 2015 by gbolah1(m): 11:19pm On Jan 27, 2013
Wish them all the best in there selection.

(1) (Reply)

................ / m / South Korean Restaurant Institutes “no Africans Allowed” Policy 'cos Of Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.