Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,178 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? (1809 Views)

U.S Political Analysist: Are Africans Too Dumb To Develope? / PHOTOS! Meet The World Hottest And Sexiest Twins & They Are Africans / The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by litgirl22: 1:11am On Jan 28, 2013
Interesting question I came across at Yahoo Answers:

The racial label of "Black" needs to completely be done away with as it has a lot of negative meanings and connotations. No other non-white group on planet earth romanticizes their existence with color. Actually many groups such as the native Americans and Asians fought to rid themselves of color-tainted identities such as red or yellow.

Aside from Africans, it is only Europeans who fashion themselves after a color (i.e. white). But this is understandable from their perspective. White means pure, peaceful, angelic, good and heavenly. The literal implication of Black is evil, devilish, bad, and so forth. It was the actually the old European elite who foisted this term on us to contrast against what they believed their people to possess: racial purity and superiority.

There is a lot of power in a word. When we identify with an evil concept our realities will not be too far off. This is partly why I think African communities around the globe suffer many social ills. Why are we quick to list the ills of the "Black" community in a heartbeat? Why do many of us suffer such self-hate and take out our frustrations on our kith and kin (alarming rates of abuse, crime, poverty, etc)? Because we think we are not "good" enough. Thoughts that come from us hopelessly attaching ourselves to an inherently negative word. It is quite laughable that we spend millions in campaigns such as the "Black is Beautiful" movement. It's like putting lipstick on a pig! Conduct a search on google and see how many negative "hits" come up for "Black people." Contrast this with those that come up for "African Americans" (a much more dignified term, IMO). That should tell us something.

Come to think of it - I have never seen a human being with actual black skin. Even our heavily pigmented kins in South Sudan and the sene-gambian regions have skin tones that can be differentiated from the Black-colored hair on their heads.

I know this topic will incite angry responses, but I beg you all to think deeply about it for a second.
1 hour ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
What other groups use brown, yellow or red (on a consistent, neutral basis) to describe or differentiate themselves?

I have only seen White and Black people do this. For White people, this is very understandable given the reasons I have already explained.
59 minutes ago

I am not saying anything to rile anyone up or look arbitrarily for offense, or play the victim role. This query is squarely addressed to African people and the stupid identity mistake we are making by calling ourselves black.

What I am saying is that Black, Negro, Neger, "N*gger" are all variants of the same thing linguistically speaking. Black in and of itself is probably even worse.

The Irish used to call the devil a "Black man." What does that tell you? We will stop questioning our existence as Africans and stop comparing our label against everything bad being called Black (e.g. Black Sunday, Blacklist, Blackmail, etc) when we STOP calling ourselves Black.
47 minutes ago

Anyone who thinks that the ethnic terms "White" and "Black" are rooted in benign conditions is very naive. It's fine if we African descended people in America want to be labeled American only (or anything neutral of their choosing). It's actually not really the point. The point is that we need to stop calling ourselves Black.
34 minutes ago

One last response before I go. Black Immigrants from other countries almost always identify themselves by their origins i.e. Haitian Americans, Jamaican Americans, Nigerian Americans, etc.

African American seems to fit the bill for us who have further roots in the USA, but if our problem is the word "African" (for whatever reason - though Americanized Asians have no problems with being called Asian American), then it's fine to call ourselves Americans. I prefer African American myself, but as long as we dissociate ourselves from "Black" then it is fine.

Who in the h*ll calls themselves yellow Americans, red Americans, brown Americans, by the way? Yellow History month, Red American Student Association, Brown entertainment television. See how silly this sounds? Don't compare ourselves against "White" Americans or "White" people because they are a totally different scenario, as I explained before.
14 minutes ago

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqvK9c6XJGai1eiok36xElA_T31G;_ylv=3?qid=20130127150310AASW8T8

What do you think of this?
Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by redsun(m): 1:18am On Jan 28, 2013
What matters is what people make of themselves,not the color.Africans/blacks are always naive because they are self destruct.They refuse to learn amd refuse to understand themselves.
Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by Techwriter: 1:48am On Jan 28, 2013
Color/ race is only skin deep. Let "blacks" begin to excel in technology, and advancements and you will definitely see people wanting to be black. No need to carry placards, rather let our actions speak louder than our voice. You can't change your skin color or campaign for peple to stop calling us black, but we can make black really beautiful by the love we show and the creative juices at work

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 28, 2013
I smiled when I read that there is no really black person, I dont think that guy has actually been to Africa!
I really do not think that what we call ourselves is what really matters bu what we do. If Africa becomes the land of innovations, bright and revolutionary ideas, I tell you, even the so called whites will want to be associated with black.
Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by Adurangba(f): 8:59am On Jan 28, 2013
so what should we be called? Green? I am happy to be called black. SO!
Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by OathKeeper: 8:11am On Nov 27, 2013
Being Cherokee Indian the term "red" does not bother me. If I was white the term "White" wouldn't bother me and if I was Asian the term "Yellow" wouldn't bother me and if I was African the term "black" wouldn't bother me. Besides Indians really aren't a true red, whites aren't true whites more of a peach color with most, and Asians are a more olive tone and blacks well can be red toned, brown toned, dark toned and so on. So what difference does it make? Also as an ex police officer and I get a call from say a robbery and the perp is running north and say the man was Asian (Not at all am I thinking Asians commit such crimes at all this is just random here) what am I gonna radio in? Looking for a man 6 foot on foot, wearing white sneakers, green sweat shirt and jeans. Okay............ That could be just about anyone who happened to be donning the same garb and happen to be six feet tall. No. Common sense is we have to know more and know who exactly we are looking for. So we are going to say and Asian male. If it was a White we'd say white male. If it was a black we'd say black male. It has NOTHING to do with racism. People just seem to always want to make something of nothing. Tell me then exactly what should we call them? I mean the term African isn't correct because they are only a decent. They are Americans. And the term African American is a bit much and it does bug some people which I don't see why really. So tell me exactly when you are calling in a crime or calling to aide a victim of a crime how are you exactly supposed to let them know who they are looking for? Asian, Hispanic, White, Black, Indian, Native, Mid Eastern, etc. Isn't it just good common sense? Stop making it into something it is not. Again I personally am not offended when I am referred to as "red" skinned. Why should I be? Red, white, black, yellow ect aren't insulting. They are merely colors! Since when are colors offensive? I think that the term Cracker is insulting btw. And of course the N word. That word I won't even give it dignity to type as I have a cousin who is half Cherokee and half black. And guess what I asked her if she is offended by the word black she laughed and said "what? Why should I be? Since when is the color black bad?" There ya go.
Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by Sard(m): 9:06am On Nov 27, 2013
IMO, I don't see anything wrong in being called Black. From this post, opposition to being called black didn't emanate from its effect on individual but rather from the prejudiced view of black being evil, bad, demonic etc. To my best knowledge, there is nothing bad about the color black, it's just another color like white, blue etc. I don't see many whites complaining about being referred to as white. We, blacks, should rather rise to the occasion by achieving great things in all aspects of life so as to give being Black a more dignified look.
Re: Why Are Africans And African Descended People Ok With Being Called Black? by Vanityupnvanity(m): 11:03am On Nov 27, 2013
because our skin ls BLACK

(1) (Reply)

Uncle Wole,why Have You Refused To Shut Up? / Happy Birthday To Gen. Mohammed Buhari And The Pope. / Iyabo Obasanjo, No One Would Wish To Have A Child Like You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.